Alaska 2010 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Alaska 2010

I am in the beginning stages of planning the final phase of my 50 states tour. I need to hit Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho and Alaska

I am hitting a few snagging points on the planning, namely time constraints. Riding from Ohio to Alaska and back will take a lot of time, and I just don't know if I can get that much time off work at once. So I have started thinking about doing a one way trip. Ohio to Alaska and then fly home, but the logistics of that are crazy after a multi state trip. I have decided to ship my bike to Alaska in a crate with my gear and then fly there and ride home.

The problem is I have never shipped a bike before and I don't know who to use, or even where to look and who is trustworthy. I have searched the interwebs and found a few companies but most don't list Alaska as an option, and I don't want to waste a lot of time calling every shipping company. I am not sure of the dates yet or even the total size/weight of my crate so I don't want to bother with specifics just yet.

What I need is real life experiences with shipping companies, and maybe an idea of cost if possible.

It would also be cool for any of our Alaska residents (current or past) to chime in with some advice about a good starting point from Alaska.

One other option is to ship the bikes out to Seattle and ride up to Alaska and back.

If I plan this right I will also take in the MotoGP at Laguna on my way home!!

Looking forward to your advice/suggestions.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

This is great, I hope everything works out for you. Ride safe!

post #3 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I think a deal should be struck with someone you trust.

One way rides each way. Someone rides from Ohio to Alaska (I would say you).

Someone meets you in Alaska and rides it home (friend).

Two people get to take an incredible trip and noone has too much time invested.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06

post #4 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Alaska is the only state I haven't been to.

Me and a buddy have tried planning that trip a couple of times. It's a task, even for someone who travels by bike alot. You also have to come to grips with the fact that a bike will probably get trashed taking it up there. We were going to attempt it in 09 but he couldn't get away from his business long enough.

What bike you planning on doing this with? What time of year? How far into Alaska? What's your budget? The questions are endless.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
This is great, I hope everything works out for you. Ride safe!
Thanks... I'll try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
I think a deal should be struck with someone you trust.

One way rides each way. Someone rides from Ohio to Alaska (I would say you).

Someone meets you in Alaska and rides it home (friend).

Two people get to take an incredible trip and noone has too much time invested.
That sounds good, except my buddy and I both want to ride our own bikes. Good idea though. You wanna ride it back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Alaska is the only state I haven't been to.

Me and a buddy have tried planning that trip a couple of times. It's a task, even for someone who travels by bike alot. You also have to come to grips with the fact that a bike will probably get trashed taking it up there. We were going to attempt it in 09 but he couldn't get away from his business long enough.

What bike you planning on doing this with? What time of year? How far into Alaska? What's your budget? The questions are endless.
The bike is trashed already after it's run in with bambi. I am rebuilding.

I am going into the heart of AK and up to Denali if possible. Budget... I'm guessing in the $5k range plus the cost of shipping the bike there.

Hoping to hear from some natives on the road conditions up there and possible routes. Anything is possible, didn't some old crusty bastid set a new record a while back from Prudhoe to Key West on a Duc Multi-strada?

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #6 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post
That sounds good, except my buddy and I both want to ride our own bikes. Good idea though. You wanna ride it back?
It sounds very appealing.
Let me know when you get to the planning stages what your plan is. I might be game.

Spoiler:
post #7 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

but that only gets one bike back.
Your buddy gonna let Simpson or Snikwad ride his?

Spoiler:
post #8 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Immune

Quote:
I am in the beginning stages of planning the final phase of my 50 states tour. I need to hit Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho and Alaska

I am hitting a few snagging points on the planning, namely time constraints. Riding from Ohio to Alaska and back will take a lot of time, and I just don't know if I can get that much time off work at once. So I have started thinking about doing a one way trip. Ohio to Alaska and then fly home, but the logistics of that are crazy after a multi state trip. I have decided to ship my bike to Alaska in a crate with my gear and then fly there and ride home.

The problem is I have never shipped a bike before and I don't know who to use, or even where to look and who is trustworthy. I have searched the interwebs and found a few companies but most don't list Alaska as an option, and I don't want to waste a lot of time calling every shipping company. I am not sure of the dates yet or even the total size/weight of my crate so I don't want to bother with specifics just yet.

What I need is real life experiences with shipping companies, and maybe an idea of cost if possible.

It would also be cool for any of our Alaska residents (current or past) to chime in with some advice about a good starting point from Alaska.

One other option is to ship the bikes out to Seattle and ride up to Alaska and back.

If I plan this right I will also take in the MotoGP at Laguna on my way home!!

Looking forward to your advice/suggestions.
I have a friend who shipped a couple of MX bikes to Hawaii and back two years ago for a race , I'll put in a call to him and let you know.
If I may make a suggestion, since you're thinking of catching the race at Laguna Seca. you could ship your bike to LA to my work shop , fly to LA pick up your bike and ride up North. on the way back I'll meet up with you at the race , we can ride back to LA . crate pack and ship your bike back to Ohio, and you fly back home . there are few advantages to this plan . first I have a account with UPS freight , and can probably get you a good rate . second LA being a major city you should be able to get better flight a and shipping choices. third for the trip home I can help you to prepare ,crate and ship your bike back . remember to ship your bike you need to drain all the fluids in the bike , I have all the tools and space you'll need to this . finally and most important, the drinks are on me .

post #9 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
but that only gets one bike back.
Your buddy gonna let Simpson or Snikwad ride his?
Lol... Both of us have joked that when we get there we are going to push both bikes right off the docks into the ocean and fly home

post #10 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

The best place I've found for info on people who've made the trip is ADVrider.com.
There's some memorable trips there, and lots of good people with a lot of info. I just lurk there and read about their journeys.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantelhonda View Post
I have a friend who shipped a couple of MX bikes to Hawaii and back two years ago for a race , I'll put in a call to him and let you know.
If I may make a suggestion, since you're thinking of catching the race at Laguna Seca. you could ship your bike to LA to my work shop , fly to LA pick up your bike and ride up North. on the way back I'll meet up with you at the race , we can ride back to LA . crate pack and ship your bike back to Ohio, and you fly back home . there are few advantages to this plan . first I have a account with UPS freight , and can probably get you a good rate . second LA being a major city you should be able to get better flight a and shipping choices. third for the trip home I can help you to prepare ,crate and ship your bike back . remember to ship your bike you need to drain all the fluids in the bike , I have all the tools and space you'll need to this . finally and most important, the drinks are on me .
Hmmmnnn That sounds like the best idea yet!! Let me do some vacation math and get back with you. I already have the crate bottom and I need to build the rest. I will check shipping prices to LA and see. Thanks for the offer.

post #12 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

road trip!

post #13 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Immune

Quote:
Hmmmnnn That sounds like the best idea yet!! Let me do some vacation math and get back with you. I already have the crate bottom and I need to build the rest. I will check shipping prices to LA and see. Thanks for the offer.
when you can send me some info as to the size and weight of your box plus your zip code , and I'll check some prices from my end .
PS, when you call for a quote make sure to tell them it is going to an industrial area and to a business address, freight to residential address is more expensive. good luck.

post #14 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

My understand is that it is near impossible to find a shipping company to ship a bike. Once it has had fuel in the tank it is considered a hazardous good. A friend of mine bought a KTM 450 in Seattle and wanted to drive with it to Vancouver, B.C., then ship it to Calgary. (about 700 miles) None of the air frieght companies would touch it. UPS an FEDEX both said not a chance. Even if he removed the gas tank the answer was still no. They said there would be fuel in the line, filter and carb. Good luck.

BTW, are all the colored states on your map on the CBR 900RR?

Spoiler:

post #15 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

friends have shipped plenty of bikes with out issue

Google is a wonderful thing.

Spoiler:
post #16 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 08:40 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

I would have to say your best bet to ship the bike to is going to be Anchorage, You will have to fly in there anyway.

I've still got a couple friends that live up there,(around Wasilla, Anchorage area) from when I used to work in Prudhoe Bay, I could possible put you in touch with them if you're interested and they are OK with it. They could give you more info about the road conditions, I never drove the Dalton Highway, Always flew in. If you are planning on going that far north, keep in mind that north of Fairbanks somewhere the Dalton highway is not paved, its very rugged, and the haul road truckers are dangerous. When we would have a new pickup/truck brought up they would always get a couple flats, and often times get windows broken out. And really there is nothing in Prudhoe bay worth seeing, I would concentrate on most all my efforts south of fairbanks, remember AK is Huge!! It will take a bit of time to explore that!

Well thats my book on the subject, thats a trip I would like to make too, especially to see some of the people I used to work with. I too would be interested in your time frame for the trip, I dont know if I could convince my wife to let me go that long, but I would be game. I'd suggest a mid July- Mid August as probably your best window for decent weather, plus you'll get to see the midnight sun when you are there.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #17 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 09:13 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

i didn't check prices but these people Motorcycle Shipping Pricing, Motorcycle Trucking, Motorcycle Moving Service, ship a motorcycle say you don't even have to drain the fuel and they do a bunch of cities in ak.

only need to drain tank going thru canada

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #18 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....

I know a rare few that have ridden the highways up to Alaska. They were on Bimmers in full Winter gear in early September..

I'm sure that our members in the great province of British Columbia would be of great help.

I'm also sure it's possible, it's just gonna be a real bich..

Good luck and please take pics!

post #19 of 178 Old 12-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border View Post
I know a rare few that have ridden the highways up to Alaska. They were on Bimmers in full Winter gear in early September..

I'm sure that our members in the great province of British Columbia would be of great help.

A guy that lives down the street did it on his BMW GS. I thought he said that there were a couple of areas in which he had to strap a gas can to the bike to make it between gas stations (and that GS has a darn big tank). So, I'm wondering how it would be accomplished without a really big tank.

However, if we are home (in the Seattle area) when you come through, I'll treat you to a great dinner.

post #20 of 178 Old 12-05-2009, 03:50 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Dirt bike to Alaska (from Wisconsin):
Just another Alaska ride - ADVrider
Here's a NE Ohio to Alaska thread:
NE Ohio to Alaska June & July 2009 - Ride Report - ADVrider
And another:
TWO THUMPERS and a TWIN: NORTH CAROLINA to ALASKA - ADVrider

There's a lot more there. Lots of good info in the trip reports. Just search "Ride Reports and pics, pics, pics" for threads with Alaska in the thread title and take your pick.
They also have a trip planning forum with lots of good info.

Here's a thread just started about shipping from lower 48 to Alaska:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=bike+shipping
If you search thread titles for "Bike shipping' and select Americas there's tons more info like this.

post #21 of 178 Old 12-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

I rode a CBR600 both ways CA<>AK. H1 in Canada is complete junk. I crashed riding at night and so did several other riding buddies independently due to unmarked obstacles! It's simply not worth it.

There are many AK places I wanted to go but couldn't on a street bike. How I will ride AK next time: Fly to AK, rent a dirt bike and explore.

Good luck and post up!

post #22 of 178 Old 12-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

My uncle also rode up the on his Goldwing. He had no problems with the roads and said there are plenty of gas stations. I still wouldn't do it without being a member of AAA. If you go up in July there is almost no darkness at all. There would only be about 4 hours of "night".

Spoiler:

post #23 of 178 Old 12-05-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantelhonda View Post
when you can send me some info as to the size and weight of your box plus your zip code , and I'll check some prices from my end .
PS, when you call for a quote make sure to tell them it is going to an industrial area and to a business address, freight to residential address is more expensive. good luck.
Thanks. I only have the crate bottom I got from a Harley shop. I have to estimate the height and weight. I figure with an empty tank the bike, luggage, gear and crate should not be more than 800 lbs. ???? Once I get the crate built, and put the bike and gear inside I'll take it to the scale and find out for sure. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post

BTW, are all the colored states on your map on the CBR 900RR?
Yep... all but Hawaii. I rented a bike there as the cost to fun ratio was not worth it. Hawaii is a great place, but not a great place to ride. Too many tourists and the roads are crowded and the speed limits low and enforced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post
I would have to say your best bet to ship the bike to is going to be Anchorage, You will have to fly in there anyway.

I've still got a couple friends that live up there,(around Wasilla, Anchorage area) from when I used to work in Prudhoe Bay, I could possible put you in touch with them if you're interested and they are OK with it. They could give you more info about the road conditions, I never drove the Dalton Highway, Always flew in. If you are planning on going that far north, keep in mind that north of Fairbanks somewhere the Dalton highway is not paved, its very rugged, and the haul road truckers are dangerous. When we would have a new pickup/truck brought up they would always get a couple flats, and often times get windows broken out. And really there is nothing in Prudhoe bay worth seeing, I would concentrate on most all my efforts south of fairbanks, remember AK is Huge!! It will take a bit of time to explore that!

Well thats my book on the subject, thats a trip I would like to make too, especially to see some of the people I used to work with. I too would be interested in your time frame for the trip, I dont know if I could convince my wife to let me go that long, but I would be game. I'd suggest a mid July- Mid August as probably your best window for decent weather, plus you'll get to see the midnight sun when you are there.
Thanks for the advice. I don't plan on going to Prudhoe or north of Fairbanks for that very reason. I will wait until I have a more suitable bike for that trip and then hopefully I will do Prudhoe to Tierra Del Fuego in one shot!!!

post #24 of 178 Old 12-05-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
i didn't check prices but these people Motorcycle Shipping Pricing, Motorcycle Trucking, Motorcycle Moving Service, ship a motorcycle say you don't even have to drain the fuel and they do a bunch of cities in ak.

only need to drain tank going thru canada
Thanks. I looked at their online quote page and I'll have to call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border View Post

September would be a real challenge. I'm planning for July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
A guy that lives down the street did it on his BMW GS. I thought he said that there were a couple of areas in which he had to strap a gas can to the bike to make it between gas stations (and that GS has a darn big tank). So, I'm wondering how it would be accomplished without a really big tank.

However, if we are home (in the Seattle area) when you come through, I'll treat you to a great dinner.
I think it depends on the route and the amount of "adventure" you are looking for. I know of a girl who did it on a SV650 which has a relatively small range. As for dinner,.... I'll come hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Dirt bike to Alaska (from Wisconsin):
Just another Alaska ride - ADVrider
Here's a NE Ohio to Alaska thread:
NE Ohio to Alaska June & July 2009 - Ride Report - ADVrider
And another:
TWO THUMPERS and a TWIN: NORTH CAROLINA to ALASKA - ADVrider

There's a lot more there. Lots of good info in the trip reports. Just search "Ride Reports and pics, pics, pics" for threads with Alaska in the thread title and take your pick.
They also have a trip planning forum with lots of good info.

Here's a thread just started about shipping from lower 48 to Alaska:
Shipping bikes from lower 48's to Alaska - ADVrider
If you search thread titles for "Bike shipping' and select Americas there's tons more info like this.
Thanks Jim. I have lurked on and off at that site for about 4 years. They have a ton of info. Thanks for the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
I rode a CBR600 both ways CA<>AK. H1 in Canada is complete junk. I crashed riding at night and so did several other riding buddies independently due to unmarked obstacles! It's simply not worth it.

There are many AK places I wanted to go but couldn't on a street bike. How I will ride AK next time: Fly to AK, rent a dirt bike and explore.

Good luck and post up!
Hmmm... I know it will be a challenge, and I almost never ride at night while traveling. I'm gonna chance it.

Quote:
My uncle also rode up the on his Goldwing. He had no problems with the roads and said there are plenty of gas stations. I still wouldn't do it without being a member of AAA. If you go up in July there is almost no darkness at all. There would only be about 4 hours of "night".
Plenty of gas stations for a goldwing might be a problem for my limited range of about 170 miles to empty. If I have to strap a gas can on top of my givi I can manage.

As for the 4 hours of night... I'm looking forward to that the most!!

post #25 of 178 Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Any of the main roads south of Fairbanks are fine, including riding the Parks to the Richardson to make the loop around. Your best bet would be to start in Anchorage, I think. You can ride north to Denali up the Parks, continue up to Fairbanks. Go through Fairbanks and head for Delta Junction. From there head south on the Richardson and see the other side of the Alaska Range as well as the north part of the Wrangells. At Glenallen, you can head the rest of the way down to Valdez, or make a right and head back to Anchorage. From there you could head south on the Seward highway, and spend a few days touring around the Kenai Peninsula.

All of the roads I mentioned are passable by any type of bike, unless we have another massive earthquake.

Just shoot me any questions you have, and I'll do my best to answer. My wife and I have traveled almost every main road in the state, so we have a pretty good idea of conditions. If we don't know the answer, I'm sure we can find someone who does.

170 miles of range should be plenty up here. We have lots of new gas stations.

-Joe
post #26 of 178 Old 12-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Sike

As for dinner,.... I'll come hungry.

:[/QUOTE]

We will be gone a big chunk of July, but, if we are here, you will be well fed!!!

post #27 of 178 Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
Any of the main roads south of Fairbanks are fine, including riding the Parks to the Richardson to make the loop around. Your best bet would be to start in Anchorage, I think. You can ride north to Denali up the Parks, continue up to Fairbanks. Go through Fairbanks and head for Delta Junction. From there head south on the Richardson and see the other side of the Alaska Range as well as the north part of the Wrangells. At Glenallen, you can head the rest of the way down to Valdez, or make a right and head back to Anchorage. From there you could head south on the Seward highway, and spend a few days touring around the Kenai Peninsula.

All of the roads I mentioned are passable by any type of bike, unless we have another massive earthquake.

Just shoot me any questions you have, and I'll do my best to answer. My wife and I have traveled almost every main road in the state, so we have a pretty good idea of conditions. If we don't know the answer, I'm sure we can find someone who does.

170 miles of range should be plenty up here. We have lots of new gas stations.
Thanks, good to know. I'll have more specific questions as I map my route. I'll be asking you many, many questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
As for dinner,.... I'll come hungry.

:
We will be gone a big chunk of July, but, if we are here, you will be well fed!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks.

post #28 of 178 Old 12-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I know there is a storage yard in Coutts Montana that people ship cars and such to. That is about 3 hours south of me. You fly into Calgary, we go in my truck to get your bike. Or you are more than welcome to ship your bike here to Calgary and go straight North to Grande Prarie. From there I believe you are only like 3 hours to the alaska highway. Hell I would even put your bike in my truck and drive you to Edmonton myself. Calgary to Edmonton is a sh!tty, boring ride.

Spoiler:

post #29 of 178 Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Opps sorry, it's Sweetgrass Montana. Coutts is on my side of the border.
49.781264,-112.565918 - Google Maps

Spoiler:

post #30 of 178 Old 12-06-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Thanks rickard, this is also a good option. Montana is one of the states I need to ride through on this trip. Thanks for the truck offer, and the idea of flying into Calgary also sounds like an option. I'll check quotes on that as well.

Speaking of, I need info on must ride routes in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana so I can start stitching together a route.

Quote:
I know there is a storage yard in Coutts Montana that people ship cars and such to. That is about 3 hours south of me. You fly into Calgary, we go in my truck to get your bike. Or you are more than welcome to ship your bike here to Calgary and go straight North to Grande Prarie. From there I believe you are only like 3 hours to the alaska highway. Hell I would even put your bike in my truck and drive you to Edmonton myself. Calgary to Edmonton is a sh!tty, boring ride.
Quote:
Opps sorry, it's Sweetgrass Montana. Coutts is on my side of the border.
49.781264,-112.565918 - Google Maps

post #31 of 178 Old 12-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Speaking of, I need info on must ride routes in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana so I can start stitching together a route.
As far as Montana goes stick to the western side. I have done Northern, Eastern and Southern, borin and nothing to see. Idaho ditto, nothing I would just go through the top narrow part. Oregon and Washington, along the coast is beautiful. When you go to Washington, Mt. St. Helens is a must see. I went there 2 years ago in the cage. Amazing even after 29 years!

Personally I would get the bike shipped to Oregon as a start point, north into Washington, then head west cut through Idaho to Montana.

Spoiler:

post #32 of 178 Old 12-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
As far as Montana goes stick to the western side. I have done Northern, Eastern and Southern, borin and nothing to see. Idaho ditto, nothing I would just go through the top narrow part. Oregon and Washington, along the coast is beautiful. When you go to Washington, Mt. St. Helens is a must see. I went there 2 years ago in the cage. Amazing even after 29 years!

Personally I would get the bike shipped to Oregon as a start point, north into Washington, then head west cut through Idaho to Montana.
rickard919 isn't far off. I grew up in Western Montana; after traveling east, I figured out why my family settled in the west. Stay west of Bozeman. Beyond that, there isn't anything not worth seeing. If you have anywhere specific you'd like to go, let me know and I've probably been there. I haven't been home in awhile, but Montana's like Alaska - not much changes.

-Joe
post #33 of 178 Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
rickard919 isn't far off. I grew up in Western Montana; after traveling east, I figured out why my family settled in the west. Stay west of Bozeman. Beyond that, there isn't anything not worth seeing. If you have anywhere specific you'd like to go, let me know and I've probably been there. I haven't been home in awhile, but Montana's like Alaska - not much changes.
Thanks Richard and Hooker. I am getting this story from most of the information I am looking at. I have ridden in North and South Dakota and other than the Badlands area they were much the same boring flat terrain. This is actually good news for me as I can concentrate my efforts on the western part of the state which allows me to plan a route that includes some of the places I want to see in Idaho.

I found a good shipping company (forward air) that ships bikes in provided crates that you basically just ride your bike into and lock down with straps. The only problem is they no longer ship bikes to Canada because of customs. The more I look into this the more I think I'll be shipping to Seattle area and riding up and back. That cuts into my time frame by about 4 or 5 days. Damn Canada

post #34 of 178 Old 12-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

My offer stands. You ride across the border at sweetgrass and I'll meet you with my truck and drive you about 1000 miles north of the border.

Spoiler:

post #35 of 178 Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
My offer stands. You ride across the border at sweetgrass and I'll meet you with my truck and drive you about 1000 miles north of the border.
WOW! I wish that awesome deal would have been around when I rode it! Canadian H1 ate my hurricane!

post #36 of 178 Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
That is an awesome offer, thanks. Unfortunately my buddy will be tagging along with me. I wanted to do Alaska solo, but he really wants to go as well. I like solitude, but he can't stand to be alone and would never attempt this solo so.... Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
WOW! I wish that awesome deal would have been around when I rode it! Canadian H1 ate my hurricane!
Funny and sad at the same time.

post #37 of 178 Old 12-13-2009, 12:56 PM
SiB
Tirone

Quote:
Or you are more than welcome to ship your bike here to Calgary and go straight North to Grande Prarie. From there I believe you are only like 3 hours to the alaska highway. Hell I would even put your bike in my truck and drive you to Edmonton myself. Calgary to Edmonton is a sh!tty, boring ride.
So I am in Grande Prairie, and it is about 120km to Dawson Creek, BC, which is the Mile "0" of the Alaska Highway so just over an hour. I have ridden as far as the border of the North West Territories (Liard hot springs). Roads and Fuel are fine that far.

Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson is a boring ride, nothing but trees, higher speeds.....

post #38 of 178 Old 12-14-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiB View Post
So I am in Grande Prairie, and it is about 120km to Dawson Creek, BC, which is the Mile "0" of the Alaska Highway so just over an hour. I have ridden as far as the border of the North West Territories (Liard hot springs). Roads and Fuel are fine that far.

Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson is a boring ride, nothing but trees, higher speeds.....
Hmmn, I'm thinking a connect the dots meet a new WT member each day bike trip!

I am having a heck of a time with shipping companies and Canadian customs. Some time ago in 06 or 07 it became difficult to ship a vehicle into Canada for some reason. I have a contact number of a company in Alaska, but I have been unsuccessful in reaching them yet. I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the info.

post #39 of 178 Old 12-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Check this video out. The guy rides solo from NM to the Arctic Circle and back in 26 days. Very cool dude. Its about 25 mins long and worth every second.

Driven - The Arctic Circle on Vimeo

post #40 of 178 Old 12-19-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Good find. Looks like a great ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode