Adventure tour into Virginia Beach - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 10-09-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Adventure tour into Virginia Beach

Saturday Oct, 7th: Wake up @ 8 to cloudy, overcast conditions. Figure, what the heck, i'll go for it. Prepare everything last minute, once over on the Strom, and i'm off. 49North to 58West traveling across Virgina back country while in Fall is an excellent relaxation technique BTW. Weatherman called for spotty showers across the mid-Atlantic region. I was skirting the edge of them almost the whole trip.

I made it nearly 3/4 of the way there, when the bottom decided to fall out. As soon as I crossed I-95, they would pop up w/ heavy rain, and subside. The Strom pushed through like a real trooper. Never hiccuped, almost no water on my upper body, although, I found a fatal flaw about the Scorpion helmets. They are NOT waterproof. When the rain came in very heavy combined w/ winds, I had a stream running down the inside of the visor. Mist and standard rain were no problem.

Little over three hours later, I pull up into Mike(hondaf4iguy's driveway) A bit wet, but no worse for wear. We chilled out for a bit catching up since the last time (which involved mud if you remember ) Grabbed a couple of brews, and set off for a sightseeing tour. Sidenote, I will NEVER live in VA. Beach! Those people can't drive for shiiit.

After the sightseeing, and a few warnings about choosing the people I hang out with , He took me to a kick-ass seafood restaurant by the inlet. Great view, and the scenery wasn't bad either. Too bad they were all the wrong ethnicity. Big-Sam's if anyone is ever in the VA. Beach area is an excellent non-chain eating establishment. Two thumbs way up .

The whole time, Mike is trying to find some live entertainment (bands you pervs!) but no dice. So, we stop at a local grocer, pick out some choice brews and cucarachas , and head back to the house. We ended the night watching an unedited Roast of Pamela Anderson, and Dave Chappelle stand-up. Good stuff.

Sunday:
I gotta say, Chocolate chip Eggo's are really not that bad. We carry on some heavy discussion over coffee, and head out to a local spot for breakfast. Good scenery there as well, just no inlet views. Hammered out some much needed planning for the upcoming trip to Jennings, admired the scenery, and went back to the house to prepare for the journey home. Mike gathered some options for back roads, and decided to join me until we reached the intersection of 158, and 35 in N.C.

Talk about some serious pucker factor! Woo-Hoo, when we transitioned from normal 2-lane striped roads to a road of grey asphalt with no lines at all I was just a bit worried. When we jumped the R/R tracks, I felt like I was in some sort of freakish endurance race running through the Isle of Wright TT. We came up on a puddle of about 8 inches that crossed the entire road, and after traversing that, we took a break at Mike's parent's house. Quick liquid relief break, and we were back to it. Tooling along a rural route in VA, we ease up on a local sherriff, who is behind an older Lincoln, and a SUV. Now mind you, they aren't going slow. Speed limit is 55 there and we were doing a respectable 55-60mph. The Lincoln driver must have been ansty though, because as soon as the road opened up he took off around the SUV, with the sherriff in-tow. I just glanced at Mike like WTF? We never saw blue lights though, and the deputy turned off on some small side road. We picked up the pace a little bit, and decided to switch rides.

I am now officially envious of Mike and his heated grips. They were on low, and man was that a nice feeling. That is definately my next mod. Although it may be more involved than I am thinking. I still love the power delivery of the Tiger, and would definately consider it for a next purchase. We ended up at our prescribed intersection, and I reluctantly gave up the heated grips of the Tiger. We said our goodbye, and I was off through N.C. on 158. Lots of little towns that I have no idea how they stay functional. One stoplight, houses that look like they should have been condemned 30 years ago. As Jet described in his tour up here, it looks like towns that used to be bustling centers when the R/R was a primary freight commerce. But with the advent of 18 wheelers, and interstate highways, these towns quickly dwindled into almost nothing. I wish I had my camera for some of these places. That was pretty much it all the way back to the house. Another ride report when I return from the BRP (with pics this time, I promise).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Great ride report James.
It was a good visit! Thanks again for coming out, even through the rain.

At my house, it rained 1/10 of an inch. At my work, 30 miles away, it rained 12 inches. 20 more miles past that, it rained 16 inches. Crazy weather we get down here.

This was kind of an off weekend for me, as most of Virginia Beach is centered around tourism. Since it is past the season, quite a few places were closed. But we pressed on a had a great time.

James tried a dish i have been nervous to try (just becuase of the name). He had the blackened fish Taco's. They actually looked very tastey when they were brought out.

As James can attest, I was behaved for most of the visit. However, we swung into a local Bicycle shop and James did witness me getting punched. Then he was warned about choosing the people he hangs out with. Welcome to my world James!

Wish Dayrock was in town. He can be quite a hoot as well.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 11 Old 10-09-2006, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

We have plenty more roads/states to cover in the future. Plus, I need a reason to whisk that sexy British lass out from underneath you again.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-09-2006, 01:10 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

NO PICS?! What were you thinking???
I say that's grounds for a

post #5 of 11 Old 10-09-2006, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Ohhhh, shut it birthday boy. I forgot the camera one time. I left it at work. I promise I will get plenty for you along the BRP.

post #6 of 11 Old 10-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Nice report James.
You adventure guys are showing the rest of us there is more to biking than meets the eye. How many miles did you log round trip? I know what you mean about those heated grips. My friend had a V Strom with the dual stage heating elements which go between the and the handlebar. His hands were always toasty.

post #7 of 11 Old 10-09-2006, 01:29 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Ohhhh, shut it birthday boy. I forgot the camera one time. I left it at work. I promise I will get plenty for you along the BRP.
I gotta get my digs in while I can...
I can't say much... I rode down thru Catskills yesterday & it's about 60% fooliage, and forgot the camera.

post #8 of 11 Old 10-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Catskills! - My family is from the Monticello area. Beautiful roads.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #9 of 11 Old 10-09-2006, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142 View Post
Nice report James.
You adventure guys are showing the rest of us there is more to biking than meets the eye. How many miles did you log round trip? I know what you mean about those heated grips. My friend had a V Strom with the dual stage heating elements which go between the and the handlebar. His hands were always toasty.
Thanks Mike. I logged a little over 480 miles in the weekend. I just bought the mapping software for my GPS, so I can start keeping historical data of my tracks, waypoints, routes, etc... Well worth the money IMO.

post #10 of 11 Old 10-09-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
James tried a dish i have been nervous to try (just becuase of the name). He had the blackened fish Taco's. They actually looked very tastey when they were brought out.
Don't knock 'em... there's a place in Charlotte called Cabo Fish Taco that the wife and I frequent. Great baja style seafood tacos/burritos etc. Yummy!

post #11 of 11 Old 10-09-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

It was actually an excellent meal. Very filling, great taste, and good value. Of course, some members here get to go there for Prime rib night and blatantly leave teasing voicemails about dinner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode