1420 miles in 2.5 days - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

1420 miles in 2.5 days

What started as a plan to ride western Wisconsin at breakfast became a multi-day event taking us through IN, OH, WV and PA. The route we ended up taking was a bit different than the one shown here as we ended up just South of Pittsburgh, but this is how it started.

While eating my pancakes and discussing the possibility of rain with my dad (first ride together this year) we decided to suffer the long stretches of slab in order to ensure fair riding weather. I'd never seen WV or South Eastern OH so it seemed like a good plan.

We departed Saturday afternoon later than I had hoped. From now on I’ll give my Dad a departure time of at least 3 hours before I actually want to leave.

Within the 1st 160 miles he had destroyed the PTT switch for his radio so the bike to bike communications were down early. We suffered an 8 hour 80mph slab run from Wisconsin to Parkersburg, WV. There we found some food and a hotel and called it a day around 1a.m.

The wakeup call came at 0530 at which time we hurried to get on the road. The weather was perfect with low humidity and 75 degree highs. The roads immediately began paying us back for the painful ride the day before. There was little to no traffic and the sweepers just kept coming. I was a bit concerned that my dad on his Goldwing might have a hard time with the technical stuff but he seemed to motor through and enjoy the challenge. He admitted that these were the most technical roads he had ridden.

Unfortunately the constant effort required to hustle through terrain like this began to get the better of him by noon. After just a few more hours he had decided he couldn't/shouldn't push through the rest of the planned twisty tour and especially couldn't endure the planned ride home. We decided to add a day to our trip and found the nearest cushy looking hotel. Naps ensued. Of course by 10pm we were awake again and pondering the idea of checking out and getting back on the road. We decided rather than leaving right then to get up in the morning around 0230 and make a run for it...timing the Chicago traffic and hoping for the best.

I didn't have a point-n-shoot camera to take with but I did get some video of the route from my 919. If I can work up the courage i will post some of that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 AM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Wow. You and your Dad are hurting those odometers!!

Sounds like you two are have a great time!!

post #3 of 9 Old 07-14-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Here's some of the footage I shot just north of Parkersburg. It may not be a lesson in corner entry and strategy...but what the hell.... that's why we practice.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Thats some serious mileage. Ive done some near 500 mile days, but not sure I could get up do it the next day. Nice clip too. Looks like you had that road nearly to yourself.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....

Damn.. That's a fantastic trip.. I really wanted to do that with my Dad before he got rid of his bike.

How about just leaving the camera on and post it when you get home?

Thanks for the updates..

post #6 of 9 Old 07-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Hey TJ looks like we've headed the opposite directions! I just ran around 1400 miles in a little over 2 days heading towards Lincoln Ne via Ohio! Ride safe brother and take it easy on your Dad!

BTW how's your butt? Mines not as bad as I thought

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Hey TJ looks like we've headed the opposite directions! I just ran around 1400 miles in a little over 2 days heading towards Lincoln Ne via Ohio! Ride safe brother and take it easy on your Dad!

BTW how's your butt? Mines not as bad as I thought
Very comparable mileage just a few weeks prior had me in significant pain on the long ride home from Kentucky. This last trip was a breeze in comparision. I really believe that just like excercise and muscular endurance, the body adapts to the riding position and copes better with repeated abuse.

Now go on another 1300+ miler next weekend and test my theory.

I did finally use my highway pegs on the 919 and they are awesome. Definitely worth my $20. I'll post a pic of them now covered in black grip tape to revive the old thread.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-16-2009, 06:18 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
Very comparable mileage just a few weeks prior had me in significant pain on the long ride home from Kentucky. This last trip was a breeze in comparision. I really believe that just like excercise and muscular endurance, the body adapts to the riding position and copes better with repeated abuse.

Now go on another 1300+ miler next weekend and test my theory.

I did finally use my highway pegs on the 919 and they are awesome. Definitely worth my $20. I'll post a pic of them now covered in black grip tape to revive the old thread.
Oh I'm sure I'm sure to find out my limits...by this time next week I should be somewhere between 3200 and 3800 miles so the pain gods should be in full song.

What are these highway pegs? That is one thing I wish I had just to be able to stretch my legs out when superslabbing it.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I couldn't be happier with their performance for the price. I do plan to weld up a small drop bracket to lower them a bit as the current mount is a bit high.

It's not a long-haul flying-V type peg setup, but it does give you the chance to stretch and relax the knees.

Since this post I have covered them with black grip tape to minimize on the bling aspect and help keep my boots planted.

LINK
https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...hway-pegs.html
LINK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode