Why their should be an age limit on drivers license - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 05-08-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Why their should be an age limit on drivers license

Wrong-way driver hits motorcyclist in northbound US 59 HOV - Houston Chronicle

Lemme tell you, this guy had to try hard to enter the HOV lane going the wrong direction here....I dunno how the f*&K he did this.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 PM
The Cripple

I disagree on age limits. There needs to be better education/training/retraining. If you can't pass a retraining, you're done until you can.

And I'm not talking like traffic school crap, I'm talking about actual hands on driver training on what to do when in a slide, brakes lock up, etc etc. Nearly as good as amateur racing.

post #3 of 11 Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

And I'm not talking like traffic school crap, I'm talking about actual hands on driver training on what to do when in a slide, brakes lock up, etc etc. Nearly as good as amateur racing.
This would eliminate about 80% of the driving population...

post #4 of 11 Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Aquilifer

I heard in Texas that they were talking about some litigation that would require people over a certain age or with certain infractions on their records to be re-evaulated after a certain point to confirm they are fit to drive. I'm not saying anyone over a certain age needs to have their license yanked automatically, but I definitely think it's a good idea after a certain point they definitely need to be re-evaluated. Hell, I'm 41 and I have to admit I can't turn my head like I used to when I was 21. Couple of spills off a bike and other stuff make stuff not so limber any more.....

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #5 of 11 Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Yeah I agree, they shouldn't just take them away, but there really needs to be an additional evaluation done routinely past a certain age. This is ridiculous, I'm telling you this guy had to be FULL ON out of it to get onto the HOV lane in Houston going the wrong way.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #6 of 11 Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Exactly!

post #7 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Brain stolen again?

Biker not ATGATT

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #8 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Milites Gregarius

this problem will just get worst as the boomers ages....

post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemond View Post
this problem will just get worse as the boomers age....
This will continue with all segments of the population, not just us boomers. If you were a bad driver/rider upon licensing you will most likely continue to be one through your "road life." Just because you have a license, does not mean your are proficient................it means that you met the minimum requirements on that day with that examiner.

As we age, our physical abilities diminish and hopefully our mental ability will compensate, but there is no guarantee.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #10 of 11 Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
I disagree on age limits. There needs to be better education/training/retraining. If you can't pass a retraining, you're done until you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Exactly, if not more... The drivers around here are mostly idiotic and have no common sense, and no ability to keep momentum going in a safe manner, aggravates the hell out of me...

As lax as driving standards are for the general population, I do think people over a certain age (say, 70, 75, or so?) should have to pass some type of driving test once every year or two to be able to drive.

post #11 of 11 Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Biker6 View Post
Exactly, if not more... The drivers around here are mostly idiotic and have no common sense, and no ability to keep momentum going in a safe manner...

As lax as driving standards are for the general population, I do think people over a certain age (say, 70, 75, or so?) should have to pass some type of driving test once every year or two to be able to drive.
Exactly, that's the freakin point! Driving is not a right, its a privileged. One that should be earned. If you can't earn it, you're SOL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode