Whoops - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Whoops

One of my friends from home came down tonight to hangout. We decided to run over to Chicfila for some food and my buddy took my roommates bike (f4i). He is a pretty experienced rider, talented, and rides safe and very much within his limits. We rode there grabbed food (for a bunch of people at our apartment) put it in backpacks and headed home. We had to go through a left hand turn through a light so I put my blinker on and went through without slowing down, I get through the turn and hear a big crash from behind me... I look in my mirrors to see Neil on his knees in the middle of the intersection with the bike spinning around him... I freaked out, slammed on the brakes, threw down my kick stand on the side of the road and took off running towards him. But he just stood up, kicked the mirror that had come off out of the road, picked up the bike and pulled it into the gas station on the corner.

It was a 45mph zone and I was doing every bit of 45 through the light but he said he was doing 25 if that. Apparently the rear tire just went out from under him... He didn't grab or hit the brakes. There was no visible slicks on the road, tires (2ct) were warm and have good tread, road was dry... Cant figure it out...

He is fine, quarter sized raspberry on his knee and little hole in his jeans.

Bike is fine, clutch lever is bent a tiny bit, left crankcover is scraped up even more than it already was, left mirror is broken off. The passenger peg saved him, its ground way down and looks like that was what the bike spun on. He was a freaking out because he thought he had really messed it up and was kinda in shock so i got on it and rode it up and down the street, nothing wrong mechanically... and he cheered up and started laughing when he saw me coming back down the street with the headlight pointed at the sky.

Dan, whose bike it is, was super chill about it, he drove up and yelled "NEIL WHAT THE HECK!!!! YOU RUINED MY FREAKING BIKE!!!!!!... just kidding. No big deal, things happen."
and the infamous "joe" my fourth roomate jumped out of the car and ran over to our backpacks on the ground and said "is my food okay?" then complained for half an hour about his fries being cold...

I will go back to the turn tomorrow and see if I can find what caused it. Right now we are baffled...

Spoiler:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

"joe" would get "special sauce" on everything i went to get him to eat from now on....

why ain't ya'll tossed that dick yet?

and +1 on your buddy being cool about someone crashing his bike..

and sometimes crap just happens and tires slip for some stupid reason...

post #3 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Heard this a thousand times... (on different forums about different incidents) - "experienced rider, talented, and rides safe and very much within his limits"

My guess, you turned at a speed you are comfortable with (bacause you knew where you were going, familiar with the intersection, etc...), he is not familiar with the turn and attempted to follow. Then he tucked the front and is now looking for an excuse instead of admitting fault. Yes, every now and then there is something in the road... and even if there was something - he should know it is not his bike and not ride so fast he cannot see the hazards.

Just does not sound like an experienced rider or riding with in his limits.

It does not make him a bad guy, but it would be better if everyone involved is to take this up as a lesson and not an opportunity to hunt for excuses.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06

post #4 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 08:36 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Hi Luke! Sounds like your friend hit a high gravity area in that intersection...Yup, Tires sometimes do slip for no apparent reason. I'm glad to hear nobody got hurt very bad, and "Joe" needs to get punched in the balls.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #5 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I do want to add....
I am glad your friend is OK.
I am also glad your rommate is being cool about it. in the end, it is just metal and plastic... (but it was his metal and plastic)

Spoiler:
post #6 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
I do want to add....
I am glad your friend is OK.
I am also glad your rommate is being cool about it. in the end, it is just metal and plastic... (but it was his metal and plastic)
what about "joe" needing to be punched in the balls??

post #7 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Very cool of Dan to be so laid back about it.
If it were me in his position, I wouldn't have let anyone (even a friend) take my bike out like that.
But that's just me - I did it ONCE... never again.

Glad to hear everything turned out positive (for the most part).

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Gravity storm.

post #9 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 08:57 AM
4 whls good 2 whls better

I went over a U-bolt at speed once at the apex of a turn. Just had enough time to notice it and register what it was before I caught it with the rear wheel. U-bolt shoots off never to be seen again (I could hear it whizzing away), but the wheel goes airborne just a little bit, and swings out 6+ inches before landing again.

As it was, I was able to recover from that and not go down, but my point is that (a) it doesn't take much of a road hazard to mess you up, and (b) it could easily be gone by the time you go out to look for it.

If you're in an area with lots of fast food restaurants, you have to watch out for wax paper cups. They look harmless, but they're like banana peels.

post #10 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
what about "joe" needing to be punched in the balls??
If I disliked Joe so much... he would have been kicked out by now.
I think Luke likes having a verbal punching bag

Spoiler:
post #11 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_919 View Post
But that's just me - I did it ONCE... never again.
Similar experience - the week after I bought my first new vehicle and even paid cash for it (Ducati Monster)... My brother-in-law asked if he could drive it and said he's been riding motorcycles for years. I was young and figured, "who'd ask to ride someone else's property if they didn't have the skills?" Answer: my brother-in-law. Came within INCHES of dropping her, luckily he hoisted it back up to vertical after nearly dumping it at 5 mph.

Later went on to be a motorcyle cop.

post #12 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Starman... I do not disagree totally.

And that is also why you should never ride a bike you cannot afford to pay for and you should never let someone else ride your bike if you cannot afford to lose it.

Taking someone else's anything is a responsibility. And you should return it in equal or better condition than when you borrowed it.

(pot-kettle argument - as for the two bikes in my garage... I can pay for them if I wreck them, however I cannot justify a purchase of a bike. The money is better served in my bank account right now to help pay for school and 'what ifs')

Spoiler:
post #13 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
(pot-kettle argument...)

You got 'em covered, Mike!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #14 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Heard this a thousand times... (on different forums about different incidents) - "experienced rider, talented, and rides safe and very much within his limits"

My guess, you turned at a speed you are comfortable with (bacause you knew where you were going, familiar with the intersection, etc...), he is not familiar with the turn and attempted to follow. Then he tucked the front and is now looking for an excuse instead of admitting fault. Yes, every now and then there is something in the road... and even if there was something - he should know it is not his bike and not ride so fast he cannot see the hazards.

Just does not sound like an experienced rider or riding with in his limits.

It does not make him a bad guy, but it would be better if everyone involved is to take this up as a lesson and not an opportunity to hunt for excuses.
I would agree completely but he really wasnt trying to go through the turn at the same speed as me... And this guy has ridden the mountains with us a few times and he rides his own ride... I am also not slow to tell somebody it was their fault if it was but i really don't think it was him... He is paying for everything though.

Quote:
If I disliked Joe so much... he would have been kicked out by now.
I think Luke likes having a verbal punching bag
You might be right...

Spoiler:
post #15 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Make sure Joe knows not to Armor All the center of the tires next time...

then punch him in the balls.

post #16 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 03:30 PM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
... The money is better served in my bank account right now to help pay for school and 'what ifs'
Marriage?!

I have nothing to add to this thread. Your friend is a dumb a$$ with no sense of balance and he should avoid the blue pixy dust.

I'll kick Joe's a$$ for you ... it would be fun.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #17 of 17 Old 10-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase

It could have been a gravity storm under a flock of wax paper cups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode