Where are you riding? (SPOT/google latitude related) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Where are you riding? (SPOT/google latitude related)

Tired of trying to remember your SPOT url so you can let people know where you are? Wish you could show off your iron-ass ride of 300000 miles in 30 minutes? I would like to introduce you to whereamiriding.com. Currently under development, this site is meant to make it EASY for people to find you. yourusername.whereamiriding.com will present you with google maps, overlaid with your SPOT checkins. At this time I believe it is limited to SPOT devices only, but the developers does intend to add support for other inputs (Google Latitude, other...) in the future. I have high hopes for this website, and wouldn't mind sharing a track or two once Latitude support is added!

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Rock on, I was looking for something like this for my trip later this week! Thanks for the tip, going to check it out now.

Edit: Nuts. I didn't realize SPOT was a device. That's not gonna work for me for this trip anyway. Guess I'll wait for the Latitude updates in the future...

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #3 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Ginger-prick

I've been using Instamapper, but it has to be running in the foreground on my iPhone to work. So it's really inconvenient.
http://mobile.instamapper.com/ext?ke...36585314353004

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
Tired of trying to remember your SPOT url so you can let people know where you are? Wish you could show off your iron-ass ride of 300000 miles in 30 minutes? I would like to introduce you to whereamiriding.com. Currently under development, this site is meant to make it EASY for people to find you. yourusername.whereamiriding.com will present you with google maps, overlaid with your SPOT checkins. At this time I believe it is limited to SPOT devices only, but the developers does intend to add support for other inputs (Google Latitude, other...) in the future. I have high hopes for this website, and wouldn't mind sharing a track or two once Latitude support is added!
Wow, I read that and almost banned you as a spammer, it sounded so good ...

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post
I've been using Instamapper, but it has to be running in the foreground on my iPhone to work. So it's really inconvenient.
http://mobile.instamapper.com/ext?ke...36585314353004
Just found that app on Android. Can run in background and since I now have a charger on my bike, don't have to worry about battery life.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #6 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Ginger-prick

Doing research on this SPOT thing, and also Zoombak

Does this link work for you guys?
http://www.instamapper.com/fe?device_key=7126197046385&page=viewData&track_fr om_ts=&track_to_ts=&track_from_time=&track_to_time =&month=7&day=16&year=2012
It was my quick lunchtime romp from earlier today while the kids were at vacation bible school.

2007 Honda 919.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 11

I ran instamapper on my android during the entire course of my cross country trip. It works pretty well, but only when you have a data connection. Without the data connection, it can't access the server to upload your location. So if you're really going to be out in the boonies and need a GPS beacon for safety reasons, the SPOT devices are probably the way to go.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #8 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I think It'll work...if we have the login. And part of the point of whereamiriding is to eliminate shitty URL's like that

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #9 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Ginger-prick

I'd like a device that I can install on my bike somewhere inconspicuous. Not only to track where I'm riding to map later, or to share with family and friends. But also to track the bike if it's stolen, or when I loan it to a family member. Ultimately, I need it to work without being connected one way or another to my phone directly.

2007 Honda 919.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post
Doing research on this SPOT thing, and also Zoombak

Does this link work for you guys?
http://www.instamapper.com/fe?device_key=7126197046385&page=viewData&track_fr om_ts=&track_to_ts=&track_from_time=&track_to_time =&month=7&day=16&year=2012
It was my quick lunchtime romp from earlier today while the kids were at vacation bible school.
Nope, requires login. I was playing with instamapper yesterday, and it seems like you can share your current position, but not your current "track". Not sure though, only just started playing with it

- Stephen Hawking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode