Wheelies.....avoid or roid? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 12-04-2013, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Wheelies.....avoid or roid?

Roid as in

cuz they are fun to do.

But here is my ridiculous question......

What is the safest way to pop a quick wheelie?

Lately on my starts i tend to get a foot or two when i am listening to Kenny G or Swedish House Mafia, either or...and i really like the feeling/challenge of the situation.....

wait why do i ride a moto? oh ya thats right, gas mileage, traffic negation, and chicks that rub their thighs in visual extacy....

but the truism of "motorcycles are dangerous" aside....what kind of wheelie is safer?

A few times i have been able to sustain a power wheelie in 2nd gear (after my LDH sprrrrrooocket conversion) for a couple of seconds....one 2, throttle off before danger zone...and it seems like i am flirting with disaster.....rear break operation always feels funny(ie. awkward) at that orientation, and i feel like maybe, perhaps i am too WOP happy to be doing that often....

Is the clutch in wheelie more safe?

I am a tad tomoonish tipsy at the moment so forgive this thread for its existence if the obvious seeming response is:

"idiot, go on trips 2 up with a petite passenger and forget the small plane attraction,"

but after replacing my rear fender i remembered why i like this forum

also, my attempts to clutch in the ninEr have resulted in loud noises and funky suspension response, youtube is a poor instructor.

Nd4spD, will you be my wheelie guru

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-04-2013, 03:51 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Neither, because it starves your engine of oil. :P

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #3 of 9 Old 12-04-2013, 03:58 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Hey sytheii, haven't seen you around in a while. Sadly I have no input on the wheelie quandary. I've never done them on a street bike. I leave my reckless behavior in the dirt. Nice Hogan pic btw.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red

post #4 of 9 Old 12-04-2013, 05:52 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I've never been able to (safely) master the art of the clutch wheelie... but on my niner (stock gearing) in first gear anywhere above about 3500 RPM just give it a good crack and I can ride it as long as I want to. Usually up to around 60.. which is fast enough for one wheel for me... I've never gotten it into second, but only tried a few times and decided I didn't need to stay up any longer than I already do. A lot of people I talk to say a clutched up wheelie is more controllable as you can snap it up at a lower speed and carry less speed to keep it up. I always just go too big and wimp out before it gets high enough and power wheelies work good enough for me that I don't bother trying anymore... the last clutch wheelie I got up good was on my dirtbike and I ended up with my feet on the ground running behind it trying to catch up... I stopped trying them on my niner after that and kept to the power wheelies... It took me probably six months of riding almost every day to comfortable work my way up from a foot or two off the ground to riding them down the road, but it's not terribly difficult to do if you work your way into it. The bike is capable, you just need to catch up... just make sure you don't overshoot

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #5 of 9 Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Le So Cal Troll

all depends on what you wanna do,

I will, power wheelie in first sometimes, clutch up in first, power wheelie in second depending on the road, power wheelie in second while standing up,

All in combination with some clutching and shifting action while in wheelie depending on how i wanna ride it out.

I personally dont like clutching up wheelies though...

post #6 of 9 Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Food for thought i spose. I think a dirtbike is in my future, i have always wanted one after my first back seat ride as a tyke.

My biggest worry is ya, overshooting throttle application and losing control. I suppose for the time being, i will stick to power and just hone my control. It would really really suck if i crashed my 9er practicing.

Morrow, ya i haven't been around much, forum time is off the back seat and my new gal is on. Still have a bunch of stuff i need to do with the bike, its just finding time, bachelerhood has its pros and cons.

post #7 of 9 Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

Well congrates on the new lady friend. They too have pros and cons. My old XL 125 doesn't have enough get up and go to do power wheelies. Thats why I've always clutched them up. I can see it getting outta hand on something like the 9'er though.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #8 of 9 Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Tirone

Power wheelie is funnest with least training.holding it takes practice. Scoot your but back. Be careful.

My 9 is my daily...driver and carry.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-18-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter9nr View Post
Power wheelie is funnest with least training.holding it takes practice. Scoot your but back. Be careful.
I almost bit it a few days ago trying to keep it going...practice makes perfect

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode