Wear your @*&$^*^@#!!! helmet people - Page 2 - Wrist Twisters

post #41 of 138 Old 09-24-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
TEXAN

God bless you Sita, you are pretty much a saint in my eyes. Best wishes for a full, complete recovery for Mr. Iowa599.

Edit: Oh heck this is post #1000 for me. Can't think of a better way to spend it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 138 Old 09-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Very glad to hear he is doing better, I was actually wondering when we'd get an update.

Ironically, it was I who rode the 919 and my wife the 599. And I worry every time she goes out for a ride.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #43 of 138 Old 09-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Happy to hear there's some positive progress
Beyond happy! Best wishes to all.

post #44 of 138 Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Sita: Hang in there, he's lucky he's got such a devoted and understanding spouse. If you need help, ask us for it!

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #45 of 138 Old 09-25-2013, 01:30 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Happy to hear there's some positive progress
+2!

post #46 of 138 Old 09-25-2013, 04:10 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Stay strong Sita, prayers for a speedy recovery.

post #47 of 138 Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 AM
Discen

Am pretty sure if my wife had to meet me in the hospital for anything...and I WASNT wearing my helmet BEFORE I got to the hospital -- I'd be wishing I was wearing it when she showed up.

Great lady.

Praying for a speedy recovery.

post #48 of 138 Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Bringer of Bada$$ery

Yeah, I've been telling him once he gets out of the hospital I'm going to beat him right back in with his helmet and there's several other people in line behind me who're going to do the same thing. One of my best friends says I should make him wear the helmet around the house for the first year.

He looks really good this morning. The respiratory therapist that was at the ICU works at the acute facility he's in now one day a week, and my husband even seemed to sort of recognize him.

More updates later, not much new has happened since last night. Although I did discover that you can't fill out the online SSDI app between 1 and 6am. How weird is that?

post #49 of 138 Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDonnern View Post
Am pretty sure if my wife had to meet me in the hospital for anything...and I WASNT wearing my helmet BEFORE I got to the hospital -- I'd be wishing I was wearing it when she showed up.

Great lady.

Praying for a speedy recovery.
^^^ Amen to that brother!

Sita: Iowa is a lucky man to have such a loving, supportive wife, thank you so much for the update, and we're all very glad to hear there is positive progress....as was said before if you need anything please let us know.....

Prayers and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for Iowa....

:buell:
post #50 of 138 Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 AM
Yo no sť nada

Prayers for a full recovery

post #51 of 138 Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Wishing your family a successful recovery and a return to normal life.

I'm speaking from experience when I say this. If you decide to get back on the bike, please wear full protective riding gear in addition to the helmet. If not for yourself, then to manage the stupidity of others around you. I've been through 2 get offs now and walked away with only minor injuries and bruises thanks to riding gear. One at 50mph due to a car sideswiping me and last week at 5 mph when someone opened a door on me catching me on the handlebar. With last week's incident, I could have easily lost a finger if not for the gloves I was wearing. We all understand that riding comes with risks and it's up to us to manage those risks as best we can.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #52 of 138 Old 09-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Bringer of Bada$$ery

Today when I kissed him, he kissed me back - a couple of times throughout the day too so it definitely wasn't just wishful thinking.

Also, he mouthed his first clearly intelligible word tonight. At the recommendation of one of the nurses, his parents bought him a textured ellipsoid exercise thing for his right hand because he tends to curl it up. Since he can't start inpatient rehabilitation yet, it's important for that hand not to become accustomed to being curled up in the unnatural position it's been in so that when he does start the rehab it'll be easier. Anyway, when it's in his right hand he just sort of rests his hand around it, but today he started grabbing at it with his left hand and trying to tip it into his mouth - it's got some kind of very dense liquid in it, and I think he thought it was a beer. So I pulled his hand down and told him he couldn't eat or drink it because it was an exercise device. As soon as I let his hand go he tried to do it again, and I repeated that he couldn't eat or drink it and if he kept trying I might have to take it away (I wasn't being mean about it or anything, it's just important to start retraining normal interactions with a brain injured person's environment as soon as possible, so setting boundaries are very important according to the doctors), and he made a mad face at me and mouthed "Why?" (Again, sort of why I think his brain might've been perceiving it as a beer cuz it sloshes and it's in his hand so he thinks he should drink it - and if it doesn't have a handle then it's not a coffee cup so it must be a beer.)

It was exciting and awesome and really funny, and I'm 100% positive that's what he said and I saw him say it, he just couldn't actually get air vibrating in his vocal cords cuz of the trach tube. I distracted him by asking if I could clip his fingernails instead, which worked just fine. And while he was distracted I put the exercise device on the table for safety's sake - obviously if he did chew through the rubber, I can't imagine what the stuff in it is but it can't be good for you to eat.

He's better every day! Woohoo!

post #53 of 138 Old 09-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Former 919er

Stay strong and keep us posted!

post #54 of 138 Old 09-26-2013, 04:19 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Very encouraging signs all around. Thanks for the update Sita!

post #55 of 138 Old 09-26-2013, 05:46 AM
Discen

Thats a fantastic update!

I split my navicular (tiny bone in the wrist) in a hyperextension while racing dirt bikes. I went to a specialty sports doctor to get it looked at and they said I'd be in a cast for 8 months and the cast had a bar built into it (with a plug) which I had to plug a battery pack into -- which stimulated growth. It was a pain.

I showed up to get the cast fit with a set of handlebars and told them to form the cast (it was my left wrist) so my wrist was immobilized but that I could move my fingers and thumb enough I could hold the grip. I never missed a race.

Just a suggestion....if there's a way to modify the training device so it resembles something he'll associate with getting better, instead of a beer..I imagine he would take to it like fish in water.

Dennis Kirk makes a bottle opener that makes a revving sound...but it also might make him want a beer again...but I was thinking something like the "motorcycle grip" that makes a mechanical sound like this? http://photos.imageevent.com/motorbi...cycle-horn.jpg

Not sure exactly the motion they're trying to rehabilitate though. Just food for though.

[not sure how to make that picture show up!]

post #56 of 138 Old 09-26-2013, 06:25 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

So glad to hear that Iowa is improving and it's good to see you(Sita) find a little humor in it....it will help him so much to know that you are in good spirits and not just showering him with pity...

When I was down with my hernia surgery my family(both here and at home) kinda poked fun at me over certain things it kept me in good spirits and I think helped me heal faster...

Thank you for the awesome update, it sounds like he's improving everyday....he'll be back on a bike in no time.....my wife wanted me to extend her thoughts and prayers to you and Iowa, stay strong guys

post #57 of 138 Old 09-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Prayers sent!!

post #58 of 138 Old 09-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Bringer of Bada$$ery

This morning the speaking tube was put in his trach and he talks! Very softly - the nurses said it takes a lot of effort to talk through a speaking tube, especially before you're used to it - but he talks, in complete sentences, in response to what you say (though he still favors the head nod or shake as he gets more exhausted), answers questions, even asked some questions.

Then his physical therapists came and helped him (and they did very little, he did most of it) get into a wheelchair and let me wheel him around the halls for a while; after that, they took us to the physical therapy gym and had him use a standing platform, so he stood up twice. Again, that was almost entirely on his own - the physical therapists just made sure his feet were positioned correctly, then he hauled himself out of the wheelchair and balanced on the platform with his arms while the therapists and I spotted him in case he started to fall. He was so excited to be out of bed that about a minute and a half after he got in the wheelchair, he started trying to get up out of it - more than half successfully too. And the wheelchair had a seat belt, which it took him about 1.5 seconds to realize was an actual seat belt and push the release button, so then they put a tray on the wheelchair. He finally sat still once the therapist explained she planned on taking him to the gym but if he wouldn't stay in the chair and wait for the gym, she'd have to put him back in bed. He clearly wasn't too happy about that but also clearly understood and calmed down.

Starting about 6:30 tonight the question he kept repeating was "Please can I get out of bed? Pretty please?" and explaining that he couldn't about a million times broke my heart. He even made a sad face at me at one point - almost made me cry. Then I tried explaining that if he fell, he'd take longer to get better and it would take him longer to be able to come home with me, and that calmed him down for a bit. Even the Ativan the nurse gave him only calmed him for about 20 minutes. However, at 8:00 he got his pain meds and was out like a light, so rather than risk disturbing him by staying til 9 I just came home. He was undoubtedly exhausted but he made my whole year awesome today. Woohoo!

post #59 of 138 Old 09-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Pierre-Marc

Sita...that's awesome! Thanks so much for sharing! Hoping and praying that there continues to be improvement.

post #60 of 138 Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Excellent news

Dan
post #61 of 138 Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
TEXAN

Wow, fantastic!!! Great to know he's truly on the road to recovery.

post #62 of 138 Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

The progress sounds amazing! Were all pulling for him.

post #63 of 138 Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Fantastic! Pulling for you guys up here in Seattle!

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #64 of 138 Old 09-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Very, very good to hear!

...on my Droid.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #65 of 138 Old 09-27-2013, 01:40 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Great news!

post #66 of 138 Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Again thank you for the update Sita, it's truly great to hear he's improving daily

post #67 of 138 Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Raddock

My wife and I are wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery to Mr. Iowa599!

I lost a friend on August 1st in a crash... and he was wearing a helmet. We're all very fragile and very strong at the same time. Some of us make it, some of us don't! My friend had almost no visible damage, only internal bleeding from dislocated aorta. Even though severely hurt, your guy was lucky to stay alive and he's even more lucky to have someone like you by his side!

Greetings from Alabama! Our thoughts are with you and yours!

Doc Hornet
Certified Streetfighter Enthusiast
2004 Honda Hornet Owner
post #68 of 138 Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Bringer of Bada$$ery

Today they're going to switch his food to a high calorie formula. They're also going to either downsize his trach tube or remove it entirely tomorrow. And today he'll be doing physical therapy in sneakers. The case manager said probably early next week they'll discharge him to inpatient rehab. Woohoo!

post #69 of 138 Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

That's great news!

post #70 of 138 Old 09-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
That's great news!
ABSOFREAKINLUTELY !!!!!!

Dan
post #71 of 138 Old 09-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Imaginifer

A motivated patient with a good support system (Sita - you rock!) equals a quick and full recovery. Thanks for the updates. We're all liking the daily improvements.

"Keep on 9-in"

post #72 of 138 Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Mr Iowa sounds like one tough guy! This news makes my day, thanks for the update

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #73 of 138 Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Yeehaa!!! Glad to hear it! keep after him sita

post #74 of 138 Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Aquilifer

I just found this thread, and wanted to say:

1. I'm putting good thoughts out there for you and your husband, Mrs. Iowa
2. Just from reading your posts, you are an awesome human being Mrs. Iowa.
3. This community surprises me on a daily basis, and I am glad to be a part of it.

+ a bazillion on a speedy, full recovery.

post #75 of 138 Old 10-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Cornicen

Great news!! Keep the updates coming and God bless. I'm from Bettendorf, and hope the recovery continues in the best way. Don't forget to take care of yourself as well as you are your husband!!

post #76 of 138 Old 10-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

A little rehab music for Mr. Iowa. Keep up the good fight.

Dave Grohl Walk (acoustic) - YouTube

post #77 of 138 Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Oh come on mike we all know the song to be...

http://youtu.be/btPJPFnesV4

Keep up the fight Iowa!!

post #78 of 138 Old 11-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Bringer of Bada$$ery

Hey guys, so right now we're in Iowa at a place called On With Life. All they do is neurological rehab, they're one of the best places in the country for it. He can walk with a walker and he eats and holds conversations and he's doing so well! Today is his birthday and he said to tell you all hi. His progress is awesome thus far and should continue to be. He should be able to talk to you all soon

post #79 of 138 Old 11-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Left of Centre

Great news, Sita, keep up the excellent work!

And be sure to spend some time on yourself too, you're the key, don't run your own resources too low.

Very best wishes.

post #80 of 138 Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Fantastic news, tell him happy birthday from me and mine

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode