wear gear part deux - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 07-02-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Primus Pilus

Garage
wear gear part deux

I had a recent chat with a riding buddy while watching Assen over the weekend. He witnessed a bit of a nasty accident between a Lexus SUV and a cruiser right in front of him. He happened to be in his car at the time, but immediately jumped out to help since he was behind the SUV. The rider was wearing the typical Illinois riding gear: t-shirt, jeans, athletic shoes, and sunglasses. Upon crashing, he skidded along the pavement on his face and arms, resulting in a laceration near his eye and road rash on both arms. Every bit of damage done to his person could have been prevented with a minimal amount of gear: a cheap mesh jacket and the most basic of full face helmets. The rider happened to be a state police officer.

I've always thought riding helmetless made you look like a fool. I honestly thought someone who likely witnessed the results of riding without basic equipment would result in better decision making. Apparently that assumption was inaccurate. Be safe out there, people, and wear as much gear as you can afford and tolerate without passing out from heat stroke.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

If it's too hot for full gear, I take the car.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
If it's too hot for full gear, I take it off - I take it ALLL off.....
FTFY

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

post #4 of 7 Old 07-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Here we go again. :P

Spoiler:

post #5 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
If it's too hot for full gear, I take the car.
Amen to that. I was just in South Carolina for about 8 weeks. I love people in different regions how they think it is hot and humid. I've been in Atlanta, Raleigh, now Florence and many other places in the South East during summer in July and can honestly attest, for whatever reason, the humidity and heat combination is the worst in the Texas area. I suspect it might be much worse in Houston just due to the fact that it's on the ocean, but I suspect it cools down a tad more at night too (Ken I may be mistaken so my apologies if so). Considering all those locations there has only ever been one place that made me say fuck it, I'm taking the truck and rolling in AC and that was.... (drum roll please).......

Dallas....

The circumstance that drove me there was that I was coming back East from Fort Worth on the George Bush at about 5:45 in the afternoon. Those of you in the DFW area know to pretty much avoid that spot but for me its pretty much the only way home . That are is always like a parking lot for a little window of time from where the 635 merges until just after the Old Denton road exit, due to the 35 merger being in that same area. After I finally got home I came in to my apartment and I remember I was feeling the heat affects so I took off my helmet and jacket, and I went into the bathroom to wash my face and hands and just splash some cool water on me and when I got done and looked in the mirror I could actually see like vapor or something coming off the top of my head and shoulders in the air. I keep it about 72 in the apartment normally so I gotta figure that was just from my gear soaking the heat into my skin and the differential in the air temperature (combined with the cool water).

After that point I just went and took my helmet and jacket, hung it in the garage, and pushed the bike over to the side of the garage in a spot designated as the, "Fuck it I am done riding for a while spot."

I took the truck to work or wherever I was going until sometime in late October or fall sometime later. When that happened to me it was around July of 2012 and for the past couple years, after July 4th weekend I pretty much just do not ride to work because of the heat in the afternoons because of that scenario.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #6 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 10:17 PM
TEXAN

Have they finished the construction around 635 and 35E yet? Man that's a complex construction project.

As for me, I just ordered up a new set of leathers, including extra armor. I have been working a second job for extra cash, and improving my gear seems like a good investment. There goes about $1K, but I know when I first put the new gear on I'll be like, "oh yeah, WORTH it."

Having ordered the new stuff this morning, I then went to the grocery store, and saw a guy ride by on a 600, in shorts, a muscle-T, and sandals. I just can't ride that way!

post #7 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Aquilifer

All the GB contruction is done but I guess they just started redoing the HOV lanes on 35 so its gonna be another clusterfuck for who knows how long there, lol.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode