Watch out for Forest RATS! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Watch out for Forest RATS!

Well it finally happened. Yesterday June 4th, 2009 I experienced my first deer strike on a motorcycle. I faired much better than the deer which was killed on impact. Needless to say I was not very happy about any of it.

The day started out like any other. I was milling around the house doing chores and trying to be productive. It was cool outside and cloudy, but not looking like rain. I decided to go for a ride. I went out into the garage and rolled my old CBR out, dusted it off and fired it up. While it warmed up I got my gear on, cranked up the tunes on the ipod, jumped on the bike and away I went.

I wasnít planning to go for a long ride. I hadnít ridden this bike in almost a month, so I just wanted to put 30 miles or so on it just to keep it running tip-top. Once I got on the bike all the feelings I have been having lately about being out of work etc. just melted away. I found myself not thinking about any of those things at all. I was physically smiling in my helmet and it felt great. I kept riding, and riding. I was going to turn back, but the bike was running sweet and I was feeling good, so I kept going.

I was headed north on PA state Route 8 coming from Barkeyville towards Franklin. There is a huge valley that crosses Sandy Creek that all the locals refer to as ďradar valleyĒ as it is known for catching unsuspecting travelers for speeding down the huge hill. I know this, so I paid close attention to my speed (for once!) I was headed up out of radar valley and was passing a PennDOT truck. I was in the left lane about 2 car lengths in front of the truck. The grass was waist high on the road side, and the deer came out of the grass on the left. She was about 10 feet in front of me and I was doing 65 or so and I had about Ĺ a second to avoid the impact, which I didnít. According to the officer that took the report at the hospital, there was about a 3 or 4 foot long skid. I hit the deer square in the front quarters just where you would aim to shoot. I think I went over the bars and the deer, bike and I were entangled for a few feet. The deer and the bike both decided to ride me across the road to the right hand lane. I stumbled to me feet and made my way off the road surface to the ditch and collapsed.

I was laying there face down in the grass for about a minute. I rolled over and I had intense pain in my left hip. There were people standing around, but I couldnít hear what they were saying, I had ear plugs in. I took off my helmet and took out the plugs and they were all asking if I was ok etc. There were parts of my bike all over the road and cars were smashing them to smaller and smaller pieces as they drove by. The paramedics arrived quick and started cutting stuff like they do. I felt great except for my hip which I could not seem to move. They put me on a board with all that head gear crap and hauled me off to the nearest hospital.

I got the full x-ray treatment and was cleared with no broken bones which was a relief as I didnít want any backwoods doctor trying to set my broken pelvis bone. 2 hours later my wife came and picked my sorry ass up and hauled me home. I still havenít seen my bike yet, but Iím guessing it is in terrible shape. I am really pissed about that. I was just thinking about how cool it was going to be to ride to Alaska on that bike. I am not sure of that right now. That bike is just a machine and can be replaced, but it is very, very special to me. I will bring it back to life, one way or another. Iím sure the insurance company will not be willing to fix it, so the expense will fall on me. Oh well, that will have to wait until I go back to work. For now Iíll amuse you guys with some destroyed gear photos.

I cannot say with 100% certainty that if I was not wearing full gear I would not have survived, but I can be about 99% sure that I would still be in the hospital being lined up for skin grafts, or suffering from severe head trauma. ALL THE GEARÖ ALL THE TIME. I cannot stress this enough. I kissed my helmet this morning and thanked it for saving my head, now it can retire next to the other helmets that have done their job.

Here ya go;

Arai did itís job beautifully.

Boots took a lot of abuse. Ground down the metal tag.

Jacket took most of the impact.

Shoulder armor held up.

Jacket wore through. I would be pissed about this, but with a deer and bike all tangled up on top of me Iím glad it wasnít worse. The concrete surface was grooved as well, making it very, very abrasive.

glad it was chilly out. This was my outer shirt.

under shirt.

The cut from the paramedics.

I ground the zipper pull down nicely.

Hole in the pants. I donít know about this one. I donít have any marks or anything on my leg.

I ended up with 2 quarter sized spots of rash on my left shoulder. They just barely went through the first layer of skin, like a rug burn. Not bad at all. I also have some kick butt groin pain, which I assume is from slapping the boys against the tank on impact. Other than that I feel good. Iím pretty lucky to have such minor injuries. I declined the pain meds, but they gave me a bottle of vicodin anyway. I took 2 tylenol at the hospital and I took 3 advil this morning. So far so good. I am gimping around pretty good because of my groin pain, but Iím sure a few days will do wonders for that.

Iím hoping to go and get my bike today, but it is 2 hours from here so I donít know if Iíll make it until next week. Iíll post up pics of that when I can.

Stay safe out there!

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

HOLY CRAAAAAAAAAP 65 mph and a deer strike and all you took was 2 Tylenol!!!!! Dude, you gotta play the the lottery.

Repeat after me, " I love my gear, I love my gear, I Love my gear........"

So glad this wasn't worse.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #3 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 06:40 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Holy crap!!

Glad to hear you're still in one piece. Great pics... hopefully a wake-up call to anyone out there not wearing sufficient riding gear.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.

post #4 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 06:44 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Holy crap fehren! Glad you are OK and the gear did its job nicely as the photos show. Sorry about the bike, I know from all your other reports how special it is to you. Hopefully it can be salvaged. What's most important though is that you are alive and well. I'm sooo glad I live where deer are small and few. Your story just terrifies me.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #5 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 06:45 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Those are chilling pics for sure. Glad to hear that you are alright.

post #6 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 07:07 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Glad to hear your OK - sorry to hear of the incident -

post #7 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfilet300 View Post
HOLY CRAAAAAAAAAP 65 mph and a deer strike and all you took was 2 Tylenol!!!!! Dude, you gotta play the the lottery.

Repeat after me, " I love my gear, I love my gear, I Love my gear........"

So glad this wasn't worse.
I'm in some pain, just that I don't like pain medication. When I had toe surgery I took some percocet and they made me lose my mind. Never again, unless the pain is unbearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_919 View Post
Holy crap!!

Glad to hear you're still in one piece. Great pics... hopefully a wake-up call to anyone out there not wearing sufficient riding gear.
You are not kidding. I saw so many riders recently in shorts and tank tops. I would hate to think what I would look like today if that was me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Holy crap fehren! Glad you are OK and the gear did its job nicely as the photos show. Sorry about the bike, I know from all your other reports how special it is to you. Hopefully it can be salvaged. What's most important though is that you are alive and well. I'm sooo glad I live where deer are small and few. Your story just terrifies me.
Lucky I hit a PA deer, they are way smaller than Ohio deer. I would say about 90 to 100 lbs. The bike WILL be saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier919 View Post
Those are chilling pics for sure. Glad to hear that you are alright.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Glad to hear your OK - sorry to hear of the incident -
Thanks for the concern.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #8 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Interceptor!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Wow! Good to wear gear....lucky in your badluck, get well.

Up for a ride?

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
Winston Churchill
post #9 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Glad you are ok. Did you keep the venison?

post #10 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

damn dude... really glad its all superficial bruises and nothing broken..

rest up.. lotsa ice... asprin...

post #11 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Damn man, Sorry about your accident and glad you're mostly alright. Good job on the gear. Deer are one of my biggest fears when riding. Had a few run across the road, but never real close. I try to avoid areas where I have seen alot of them before or slow way down.

Heal up quick!

post #12 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

Rats with antlers...that's what they are!

post #13 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 AM
MAM Customs

Sorry to hear about your accident but glad you were able to mostly walk away from it unscathed. Good luck getting the bike back together.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
post #14 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Unbannable

Wow, only 8 lives left for you.

I live in the sticks so I see deer cross the road all the time. One of these days I'll hit one too.

post #15 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Holy ###t!!! I'm very glad to hear you were ok and came out with such little scraps and bruises! I also can't stress enough...GEAR GEAR GEAR!!!

Glad you were wearing yours bud! I can only imagine what the 900rr looks like

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #16 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

OMG! Get the bike some aspirin stat! Make sure it is well tended to and not left outside or anything like that.

Oh yeah, glad you're "okay."

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #17 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 AM
imagepix

Dude we are so glad you are ok....

I showed my girls your pic and told them of your story and reinforced them that they need to wear the gear. They always complain to me and I say no gear no ride, we always dress for the crash. I am glad you are ok and thank you for posting your story. My one daughter asked if you had pics of the dear....????? She is my "I love gore" gal. I am alway amazed at what comes out of her mouth, I pity the fool that going to date or marry my daughter.....

post #18 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

If your boys keep hurting you punch yourself in the leg a buncha times till you forget about it

Dude glad you're alright coulda been so much worse for you and the fam so count your blessings, learn and move on.

Thanks for posting up, this is a good reminder for us all. That toasted gear tells quite a story

post #19 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Oye, scary! Who knew a CBR could be used as a hunting implement??? Seems like Nugent should be deployed in such situations to harvest the meat for the motorist. May just help with the closure.

post #20 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

glad you made it out of it relatively alright.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #21 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Dang!! Glad you are Ok dude. The gear looks terrible, it did its job well tho! Thanks for posting the pics of the gear, it definitely makes me want to wear mine!

Hope the bike can be salvaged, good luck with that and heal fast!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #22 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

Wow, that's incredible. Glad to hear you're ok. And as for the "First" deer strike, lets hope it's the last.

Did you get the deer? You should have the head mounted and put your helmet on it in the garage.
A. As a reminder
B. As maybe the most interesting conversation piece I've ever seen.

Two wheelin for the feelin.
post #23 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Glad your ok and thanks for sharing, I'll bet ya 5 there are two dents from the tank slapper.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #24 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Thanks everyone. I am feeling pretty decent right now. I have some pain in the hip area still and general soreness all over. I went to pick up my bike today and the towing guys didn't believe it was me who was in the crash yesterday. They said they didn't expect the rider of that bike to come walking in to there shop the next day. I told them I have my ATGATT attitude to thank for that.

The bike isn't looking too promising. The radiator is pushed back into the exhaust headers. The upper, gauges, stay etc. are all destroyed. The worst of it all is that there is a dent in the frame from the bar end bending into it. That sux. I was really hoping there was no frame damage. The insurance co. will not want to put a penny into a bike with a damaged frame. sigh. Anyway here are the photos.

The deer did not make it;

the bike

the frame dent

the "good" side

road sweepings...

DAMMIT!!!

post #25 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

dude that sucks, sorry to hear about that.well you could always tell the insurance to cough up the dough, drag the bike up here and we can get you a new frame and do a swap.

post #26 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
dude that sucks, sorry to hear about that.well you could always tell the insurance to cough up the dough, drag the bike up here and we can get you a new frame and do a swap.
At this point it doesn't matter who pays. I am willing to try most anything. What is involved in this process? I am doubting the existence of a new factory frame at this point. I had the chance to get one back in 99 for $800 and should have jumped on it at the time. Now I fear I am boned.

post #27 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 07:50 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Amazing story, you're a lucky man, glad you're all right! Beautiful bike, that's really too bad, I'd be bummed too but hard not to count your blessings when you walked away with only superficial injuries.

post #28 of 108 Old 06-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

WOW...That thing took one hell of a hit...I know you want to get the bike back together but the most important is the fact that your fine and walked away.

Good luck with the bike regardless though...Always liked the 900rr's

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #29 of 108 Old 06-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Nobody would encourage you to revive an old 900RR more than me....I love 'em. Got one meself.

That being said after a hit like that, and with the frame damage, I'd probably walk away. That bike has a bad aura now.

Take your money, and if you really love the genre, there are older 900RR's to be had, ya just gotta find 'em.

And if you really wanna get her back going parts are not much of an issue, you can fix her cheaply unless you insist on the exact same paint scheme.

Is the head stock OK?

post #30 of 108 Old 06-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

WOW! Though it sucks ... you are doig well!

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #31 of 108 Old 06-06-2009, 07:50 AM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

Glad you made it ! I'v x-rayed many rider vs deer patients. Most don't do as well as you did. The Road Gods were with you.

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #32 of 108 Old 06-06-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Amazing story, you're a lucky man, glad you're all right! Beautiful bike, that's really too bad, I'd be bummed too but hard not to count your blessings when you walked away with only superficial injuries.
Yep. I am thankful to be still upright and mostly mobile. About 1/8 second before impact I figured I was gonna get mangled up pretty bad. I just put my head down and braced for impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
WOW...That thing took one hell of a hit...I know you want to get the bike back together but the most important is the fact that your fine and walked away.

Good luck with the bike regardless though...Always liked the 900rr's
It's looking grim for the bike, but I am still kicking. I'm both and :001_smile: at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDJAM View Post
Nobody would encourage you to revive an old 900RR more than me....I love 'em. Got one meself.

That being said after a hit like that, and with the frame damage, I'd probably walk away. That bike has a bad aura now.

Take your money, and if you really love the genre, there are older 900RR's to be had, ya just gotta find 'em.

And if you really wanna get her back going parts are not much of an issue, you can fix her cheaply unless you insist on the exact same paint scheme.

Is the head stock OK?
It still fires right up and purrs like the day it was new. The head stock is fine. Most of the hit was directly on the front. The forks look good, the bike rolls fine etc. The dent in the frame is superficial from the bar end that got slammed into it.

As for parts. I have a brand new in box tank and upper sitting in my basement. All I need is the "other" parts. There is a guy locally selling all kinds of 900RR stuff on craigslist I'm going to go check out on Monday. Whatever the outcome is, it still bums me out. I guess I'll have to have GMD check out the bike to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
WOW! Though it sucks ... you are doig well!
Yep. The dreaded 2 days after pain is setting in. Mostly from little activity. My damn wife/mom/sister are all over me to lay around and take it easy. I feel better when I am up moving around. But you know how hard it is to argue with 1 woman, let alone 3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXS View Post
Glad you made it ! I'v x-rayed many rider vs deer patients. Most don't do as well as you did. The Road Gods were with you.
No breaks, just bruises and scuffs. I took it better than the deer and the bike, which is the best outcome to have in this situation.

post #33 of 108 Old 06-06-2009, 09:38 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Great idean on going to GMD - Just olling at thoes picks made my stomach roll - I hate to see that bike beat up like that --- Just keep telling yourself, your Ok and that all that matters !

post #34 of 108 Old 06-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Sixty-9er

Fix it up...only 5 states to go!

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #35 of 108 Old 06-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Wow, just seeing this thread today. Glad you were wearing all your gear! 65 is pretty fast. Good thing you were not on the 360, would not want to scrap up that little gem.

post #36 of 108 Old 06-06-2009, 12:25 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Mother
Of
Pearl !
Glad to hear you're okay and you're another testimony to atgatt. Hope in 2 more days there's no pain. Did you kick that sob deer when you went back ?

post #37 of 108 Old 06-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Woah! That's the biggest rat ever! Was that near TMI?
So very glad/impressed you survived that so well, what a testimonial for ATGATT! I ended up worse hitting an AK wolf at 60MPH without padded leather pants (yeah I was dumb back then!). Maybe your frame isn't actually bent and will track straight with a WT sticker over the dimple? Sounds like the worse part is having three nags! Get back on the road soon!

post #38 of 108 Old 06-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Dragon Slayer

Glad to hear you are ok. Maybe you should upgrade to a 919?:001_smile:

post #39 of 108 Old 06-07-2009, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Great idean on going to GMD - Just olling at thoes picks made my stomach roll - I hate to see that bike beat up like that --- Just keep telling yourself, your Ok and that all that matters !
The relays in the front got ripped out of the harness and the gauges took some beating. The more I look the worse it gets..

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrusher4444 View Post
Fix it up...only 5 states to go!
I know! That's the worst thing right now. It will take me the rest of the summer to get this thing up and running again. I'll get to Alaska on this, even if I have to push it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
Wow, just seeing this thread today. Glad you were wearing all your gear! 65 is pretty fast. Good thing you were not on the 360, would not want to scrap up that little gem.
I wish I was on the 360 instead. I have been looking all over Ebay for parts and there are more good parts for the early 70's Honda's than there are for my 90's bike. 65 is pretty fast, but I don't think it would have mattered if I was going 45, 30mph might have given me the time to squeak behind the deer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
Mother
Of
Pearl !
Glad to hear you're okay and you're another testimony to atgatt. Hope in 2 more days there's no pain. Did you kick that sob deer when you went back ?
Well, it is 3 days since the crash and the pain in my hip is getting a little better. Now the rest of my body is aching, but I think that is mostly from laying around on my butt. My wife won't let me do anything. I keep telling her that moving around makes me feel better, but you know how wives are. They want to take care of you, even if it kills you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Woah! That's the biggest rat ever! Was that near TMI?
So very glad/impressed you survived that so well, what a testimonial for ATGATT! I ended up worse hitting an AK wolf at 60MPH without padded leather pants (yeah I was dumb back then!). Maybe your frame isn't actually bent and will track straight with a WT sticker over the dimple? Sounds like the worse part is having three nags! Get back on the road soon!
A wolf!! That would blow. That's a low kind of impact. I'm sure the frame is ok. The dent is small like a quarter or 50 cent piece in the left frame extrusion just under the tank. It is from the bar end weight. I may just fix it with a sticker and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
Glad to hear you are ok. Maybe you should upgrade to a 919?:001_smile:
Ha, ha, ha.... Dude, I already have the same motor. I'm not letting this bike go for any kind of upgrade.

post #40 of 108 Old 06-07-2009, 09:54 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Glad you're doing ok post crash, I bet you'll actually have fun putting your beloved bike back together.

And by the way, awesome lineup of bikes in your garage!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode