The Dragon - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

The Dragon

Is it just me, or is this a really low number?

Curvy border highway claims fifth life of year : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM
919>food>beer

could that be that its just the TN reported and not including NC's fatalities?

post #3 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

If you look at it in a strictly numbers/statistics point of view, then it is an astronomically low number compared to the volume of people that ride there each day.

Still, any life lost there ultimately adds fuel to the fire of those that want to shut it down for the rest of us.

post #4 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

the article says he 'landed face down and never regained consciousness'. I'm going to guess he wasn't wearing a full-face helmet.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 11:26 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

yikes, that's pretty gruesome.

...So, who wants to go ride it next spring?

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 11:28 AM
dr1
dr1

low number based on what? the number of fatalities that usually happen or just against the number of people who ride there?

Cause from what I am reading right now its actually high.

Go figure right.

Heck looks like about double, now the dragon is really screwed, time to double enforcement. lol.

post #7 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I think it is high for the speed limit. Not like the average person is doing 55mph...

I think the number of accidents on that road are probably higher than average - but Fatalities at 35mph....

I dunno what to think of it. I think it is funny/great marketing that someone named a road and it is now so famous....

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #8 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 11:38 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Here are some stats from the Tail of the Dragon site-

Many people confuse deaths from as far away as 100 miles as being "on the Dragon". The Tail of the Dragon is only 11 miles long and the following facts pertain only to those 11 miles. There are more motorcycle deaths on other roads in Blount County Tennessee than there are on the Dragon each year.
2009 - Two deaths as of July 9: June 27. HD rider from Miami went off road, reason unknown (possible heart attack). Friends and LEOs searched several hour before finding body. A female HD rider died at mm 5.0 when she went off the road.
2008 -Three deaths: One sportbike went off road and hit tree near Thunder Road Bend. One cruiser went off road in Ron's Run with rider suffering heart attack. One trike went off road and struck tree.
2007 - Three deaths: One low side at Guadrail Cliff. Trike versus a vehicle near the Wall claimed the lives of an older rider and his passenger. Both accidents in July.
2006 - Two deaths: One rider went off road and hit tree another low sided into an oncoming vehicle.
2005 - Three deaths: All three deaths involved failing to negociate corners - two went off the mountain and one slid into an oncoming vehicle.
2004 - Two deaths: Both deaths apparently caused by speed and then overbraking.
2003 - No deaths: There were several deaths in the surrounding area of the Dragon, but none that we know of on the 11 miles of the Dragon itself.
2002 - Two deaths: On June 16 a 29 year-old Dale Bently a Valkyrie rider from Michigan died on the Dragon. The rider was passing a car near the Horns of the Dragon when he wrecked and suffered fatal head injuries. The second death occurred on Sunday August 4 when Lendry R. Obanna Jr., 24, of Jacksonville, Florida, lost control of his 2000 Yamaha R6.
2001 - Two deaths: The entire Blount County (home of the Dragon) saw a total of four motorycle fatalities in 2001. The total includes the deaths of a 27-year-old Knoxville man who died March 10 in a collision on Old Knoxville Highway in Rockford, the May 5th death on the Dragon, the July 5th death of a 43-year-old Maryville man in an accident on Happy Valley Road, and the October 27th death on the Dragon.
2000 - One death: Blount County had four motorcycle deaths in 2000 including one fatality on the Dragon.
1999 - One death: Only one motorcycle death in 1999
1998 - No deaths: No fatal motorcycle crashes in 1998.
1997 - One death: A single motorcycle fatality is listed in 1997.
1996 - One death: A single motorcycle fatality in 1996.
1995 - Two deaths: In 1995, two men died in separate July 3 motorcycle crashes on the Dragon during the July 4 holiday weekend.

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC
post #9 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

well.... then to make the road safe for all that travel i propose they clear cut all trees withing 50' of the roadway and install 30' high nerf walls lined with memory foam and force everyone who rides/drives the road to go no faster than 8 mph so they will not be tempted to have to lean their bikes..

they should also have citizen volunteers armed with handheld radar posted every 100 yards and these special volunteers shall have the power to arrest for any infraction and they will also have spike strips in case someone doesnt want to stop..

also mandate that anyone on this obviously deadly strip of road wear full race leathers including a condom.....

or better yet install speed bumps in the apex of every curve...

or maybe just remember this is america and if someone wants to ride and enjoy the scenery or if they wanna drag knee... we have that right.. and we accept the responsibility for our actions and the do-gooders need to have a coke and a smile and go shut the up and let people live their lives...

YOU and I have the ability to stop stupidity like this... GO to your local counsel meetings and speak up....

damn.... i have a headache now...

and for the amount of people who travel that stretch of road every year.... 5 deaths is a pittance.. hey sorry they are dead .... but did anyone put in blood alcohol levels?? or include wildlife avoidance leading to death/accident??

there are 5 deaths a month on most city streets.....

post #10 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
or maybe just remember this is america and if someone wants to ride and enjoy the scenery or if they wanna drag knee... we have that right.. and we accept the responsibility for our actions and the do-gooders need to have a coke and a smile and go shut the up and let people live their lives...
well put my friend. well put.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #11 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase

I thought the number was low relative to the # of motos traveling it. In that regard, I think the # is proof that *most* riders aren't riding above their limit. I've never ridden it, but I thought it was interesting that a Greensboro paper (about 230 miles away) was writing about it.

Spoiler:

post #12 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
but I thought it was interesting that a Greensboro paper (about 230 miles away) was writing about it.
tha uther papurs closer kan't spell gud enuf so's people kan read um....

post #13 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase

Spoiler:

post #14 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

If you read the statistics, then, yes, 5 is a high number.

This IS a public road, speed limit 30 mph in both NC and TN.

Rider error looks to be the cause of most of the deaths. Of course, if you have been on this road, you know that a whole lot of vehicles are over the yellow line.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 12:47 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i know i know... they should make you wear a special helmet ..

they take a full face helmet and drill 1/8 dia holes every 1.5 sq in. and inserting #10 penny nails that their points have been made razor sharp *(think of pin head in hellraiser) and you wear that helmet when you ride the dragon... it will stop those guys from doing dangerous things like falling off their bikes and speeding.....

post #16 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

How about banning freaking vehicles that can not drive on the road without crossing the yellow lines.
I was doing the posted speed limit and came close to being a taken out by a truck with a fifth wheel trailer.
Semi's are even worse, if they cared they could but they don't.
Check out the videos and pictures linked at the Gap site.

post #17 of 17 Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1050 View Post
How about banning freaking vehicles that can not drive on the road without crossing the yellow lines.
I was doing the posted speed limit and came close to being a taken out by a truck with a fifth wheel trailer.
Semi's are even worse, if they cared they could but they don't.
Check out the videos and pictures linked at the Gap site.
Although I'm not sure how much this contributes to the fatality list, I agree completely. There is no way a semi can negotiate that road without crossover.

It's all BS anyway. If they really wanted to stop it and "save lives" they could put speed bumps on it and the whole show would be done. To this point in time the chosen path has been revenue enhancement instead.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode