Texas driving laws - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 04-28-2007, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Eternal Novice

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Texas driving laws

So while I'm here in Korea, my wife has had to deal with the Texas DPS, specifically the DMV as she tries to get a Learner's Permit for our 16yo daughter. While she's at it she finds that in Texas, it's possible to get a provisional driver's license at 15yo, but only for motorcycles of 250cc or less. Whoa!!!

Wow!!! A 15 year old on a public road could get into a lot of trouble on a modern 250cc bike, be it a Ninja 250 or a dual sport. And I've got two boys who will be 15 before the end of the year!!! GULP!

The funny thing is that I trust my sons waaaayyy more than my parents trusted me at that age, but that's because they've demonstrated themselves to be more trustWORTHY than I was at 15 (we won't go into specifics, let's just say I had teachers that couldn't recognize my face because they'd never seen it).

In order for them to get their motorcycle licenses they would have to take an approved MSF Beginner's Course and pass the electronic test. To take the MSF Course they would need learner's permits but that whole endeavor is less than $150 so it's not a big deal.

I was thoroughly vexed about how to handle this safely, because I would feel like something of a hypocrite if I just said NO, you can't ride: I'm the guy that taught 'em how to ride in the first place. And they're on the Honor Roll so I can't really use the bad grades card...

Anyone got any teenagers out there?

These parenting questions (especially in absentia) make my head hurt.

Live free or die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I'm only 20 so I can pretty much relate to being a kid lol. I think you should definately let them ride! My parents wouldn't let me get a bike because of the danger, but my grandma let my dad get one when he was 17. NOT FAIR! I told on him. Now I have a bike, well, when I get home from the desert. Let your children play!

2 > 4
post #3 of 5 Old 04-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

how long is your mob for maybe you can get them to wait for you that way you are confident in their readiness.I feel your pain though when i got home my daughter had started to develop so to say .talk about being freaked ou that was me .good luck

post #4 of 5 Old 04-29-2007, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Eternal Novice

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

They're gonna be able to drive the day after Christmas this year...which is a month and a half after I get back from Korea. I'm inclined to let 'em ride, they're good sons: if I could go back and make 'em over again, I'd do it the same way...except maybe I'd get their hair cut more often

Live free or die!
post #5 of 5 Old 04-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoldier71 View Post
They're gonna be able to drive the day after Christmas this year...which is a month and a half after I get back from Korea. I'm inclined to let 'em ride, they're good sons: if I could go back and make 'em over again, I'd do it the same way...except maybe I'd get their hair cut more often
I think the sooner they start learning good habits the better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode