Should I get a new rear tire? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 07-18-2007, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Should I get a new rear tire?

Since I'm getting ready for a ~2200 mile trip in August, I was inspecting my tires. I have about 4200 miles on the stock rear ('06 919), and I'm thinking I probably need to get a new tire before I go. So first question, what is safe tread depth for motorcycle tires? I do have a little tread depth left, but I also have a flat spot in the center of the tire (darn you, straight MO roads!!), so there's not much left in the center. The front tire looks fine to me, which is consistent with reading other 9er tire threads here.

Assuming I need a new rear tire, that raises some more questions, namely, since the average (it seems) tire changing ratio is 2 rear : 1 front, should I stick with the same OEM tire now, or is it OK to switch to a better tire on the rear?

Don't need to know what kind of tires to put on, I can read that on other threads, just don't know if its a good thing to put different tire types on front and rear. Thanks in advance.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelnick View Post
Since I'm getting ready for a ~2200 mile trip in August, I was inspecting my tires. I have about 4200 miles on the stock rear ('06 919), and I'm thinking I probably need to get a new tire before I go. So first question, what is safe tread depth for motorcycle tires? I do have a little tread depth left, but I also have a flat spot in the center of the tire (darn you, straight MO roads!!), so there's not much left in the center. The front tire looks fine to me, which is consistent with reading other 9er tire threads here.

Assuming I need a new rear tire, that raises some more questions, namely, since the average (it seems) tire changing ratio is 2 rear : 1 front, should I stick with the same OEM tire now, or is it OK to switch to a better tire on the rear?

Don't need to know what kind of tires to put on, I can read that on other threads, just don't know if its a good thing to put different tire types on front and rear. Thanks in advance.

post #3 of 12 Old 07-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Had about the same mileage on my bike this month and a rear tire that had some flat spots. With a long weekend ride coming up, inspection next month, so decided to spring for Pilot Roads front and back. Glad I did -- love the PR's. It's not worth risking a flat on the road. I wouldn't advise switching brands front and rear if it can be avoided.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Don't mix-n-match tires on a motorcycle unless absolutely necessary under emergency situations. We only have two tires, and they both need to be operating at peak proficiency to keep our asses glued to the road. Tires are the one maintenance item that we should pay the most attention to, and in your case with a 2200+ mile trip upcoming with multiple twisty sections, they count even more. Replace them both, and ride without worrying about tires and grip.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Assuming you have Michelin hi-sports, there is a good chance the front tire will begin to show signs of cupping. Do yourself a favor and replace both tires.

post #6 of 12 Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 AM
WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Don't mix-n-match tires on a motorcycle unless absolutely necessary under emergency situations. We only have two tires, and they both need to be operating at peak proficiency to keep our asses glued to the road. Tires are the one maintenance item that we should pay the most attention to, and in your case with a 2200+ mile trip upcoming with multiple twisty sections, they count even more. Replace them both, and ride without worrying about tires and grip.
Couldn't have said it better. I've neer really believed in the 2:1 front to rear ratio. I mean my Triumph makes some serious torque and I can spin the rear coming out of a corner pretty easily and I have to replace both tires at the same time. Granted the front isn't as far along as the rear, but once you throw a new set of stickies on there you won't believe you were riding with tires so worn.

Replace both. Michelin Pilot Powers for the win.

Find me on all over the web:

www.vwvortex.com- spoolin215
www.honda-tech.com- germanhondaslayer
www.bodybuilding.com- forcefedfreak
www.triumphrat.net- forcefedfreak
post #7 of 12 Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefedfreak View Post
Replace both. Michelin Pilot Powers for the win.
Beware of the dreaded Recall

post #8 of 12 Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I ride to the tread bar, center of rear tire. I don't even get 4000 miles out of my rear tire. I am a lost little lamb in the woods.

Spring for a new one if you think the tire will be history during your trip. No need in setting yourself up in a service bay during the middle of your adventure, unless you want to drink old coffee from paper cup.

Ohhhhh and have a great trip!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #9 of 12 Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Spring for a new one if you think the tire will be history during your trip. No need in setting yourself up in a service bay during the middle of your adventure, unless you want to drink old coffee from paper cup.
As much as I do love crappy coffee, I don't like paying someone for something I can do myself, and I do have a friend who has all the equipment for mounting and balancing tires here. My guess is that if they look like they do after 4.2k miles, then another 2.2k miles will mean a blown tire.

Going to order a new set, front and rear, probably Pilot Roads. Gonna go do some more WT reading before I make my decision, though

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #10 of 12 Old 07-30-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Yea, I needed tires. Get put on tomorrow.

Flat

Metal

At the wear line

Cupping

We call the above MFRS (Missouri Flat Road Syndrome)

- Stephen Hawking
post #11 of 12 Old 07-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Right now, I have close to 6,000 miles on a set of Metzler Roadtec Z6s, and they are mostly interstate. I think I can get anoter 1-2 thousand miles out of them, even on the rear. I may even be able to go further on the rear, time will tell. The front looks untouched.

$/mile on them is really good, and they continue to handle well all the way through the wear.

Sounds like you already have yours picked out. Good luck to you and be safe on your trip.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #12 of 12 Old 08-05-2007, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Broke my new tires in this week, then took them for 200 miles, about 100 of those through the twisties. Went riding with a Duc monster, a 'busa and a couple other bikes. I kept up quite nicely, thanks (well, at least in the twisties...i mean, c'mon...it's a 'busa). Lovin' the Conti Road Attacks...

- Stephen Hawking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode