Semi Trailers - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 07-17-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Two Wheeled Warlord
 
Danke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salmon Arm, B.C.
Posts: 1,143
Rep Power: 1
 
Semi Trailers

Remember to keep your seperation as much possible, much more than the 2 seconds.

Like everyone else I look at the big chunks of tire and think about where they come from. Coming home from my White Lake loop last Sunday I got a chance to see. Idling along the Hwy back home and coming to the end of a passing zone I can see the Semi about a mile ahead. No point in punching it so I cruise the limit, the guy in the black SUV behind me doesn't see the logic in this and punches it by right up to to the back of the trailer. I maintain my seperation as there's no chance to pass for another ten minutes.

Suddenly I see brake lights everywhere and what looks like a big dead animal on the road. The SUV runs square over it. I stand up on the pegs and see it's a tire spread over the entire lane. Knock it down a gear, thread the needle, and thank myself that I know there's no reason to rush up on someone's bumper in a no passing zone.

Danke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
async's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 3,943
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Years ago I was driving on the 5 freeway in southern california in my little Daihatsu (yeah, I know ... it was all I could afford at the time). I'm about 100 feet or so behind a semi pulling a trailer. Next thing I know, this long iron bar flys up in the air behind it. I swerved but it endedup taking off my right side rear view mirror, it sheered clean off. If I hadn't swerved the way I did, it probably would have gone through the windshield and might have killed me.

The semi truck kick all kinds of stuff up, be very careful when you're following one.

async is offline  
post #3 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,109
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Great job Danke sticking to your space Rules and riding safe! Thanks for sharing!

You can't see what the car in front drives over. There are too many obstacles on the road (don't get me started)! You need to allow enough of a space buffer to react. I always encourage impatient tail gating cagers to pass and maintain a large reaction buffer front and rear.

dream is offline  
 
post #4 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Pilus Posterior
 
wisco919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,119
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
Great job Danke sticking to your space Rules and riding safe! Thanks for sharing!

You can't see what the car in front drives over. There are too many obstacles on the road (don't get me started)! You need to allow enough of a space buffer to react. I always encourage impatient tail gating cagers to pass and maintain a large reaction buffer front and rear.
It is really to bad that more cagers do not understand why we try and give ourselves that space to react to whatever situation may arise. It is to often that they ride our arses leaving us little room to slow down let alone emergency braking.

wisco919 is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 11:08 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 65
Rep Power: 0
 
In Nevada they call the big hunks of tire tread "road alligators". I got to see the results of a road alligator versus a brand new Caddilac's (window sticker still affixed) tire/rim, fender, hood, and driver door. Not pretty!

This is one of the reasons I choose to ride in daylight only here... atleast until the construction pace slows.

Good riding Danke and thanks for the story.

LV919 is offline  
post #6 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Fool in the Rain
 
HondaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 10,285
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Nice reminder Danke. I was beside a tractor/trailer one time, not by choice obviously, and one of the tires suddenly let go. Sounded like a cannon shot. Luckily all of the debris went back, not outward, but it makes me think about having to run beside one.

Years ago my wife managed to hit a transmission that FELL out of a truck. Not the bed of a truck mind you, it was an actual drivetrain component of the operation truck rolling down the highway. It just fell out.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
HondaJim is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
async's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 3,943
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Nice reminder Danke. I was beside a tractor/trailer one time, not by choice obviously, and one of the tires suddenly let go. Sounded like a cannon shot. Luckily all of the debris went back, not outward, but it makes me think about having to run beside one.

Years ago my wife managed to hit a transmission that FELL out of a truck. Not the bed of a truck mind you, it was an actual drivetrain component of the operation truck rolling down the highway. It just fell out.
One of the big problems with NAFTA is that trucks from Mexico don't have to adhere to the same safety regulations as American trucks. The Mexican trucks are usually overloaded and have poor maintenance records.

Something needs to be done about it.

async is offline  
post #8 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member
 
RC51_CBRXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 10,498
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
One of the big problems with NAFTA is that trucks from Mexico don't have to adhere to the same safety regulations as American trucks. The Mexican trucks are usually overloaded and have poor maintenance records.

Something needs to be done about it.
NAFTA regulations limits the areas that Mexican trucks are allowed in the US and inspections are performed.

Danke, good reminder. I had a retread come off a semi driving in front of me back in the 80's on I-95 in Virginia that left a lovely dent in my driver-side fender. To think what would have happened to me on a bike is always in my head.

I love when you leave a bit of safety room and some dumba$$ has to go around on the right hand side in thick traffic to get one car length ahead of you! The Hutch and Merritt in NY and CT are the best for this!!!

RC51_CBRXX is offline  
post #9 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Crotchety Rocket
 
cmelnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,426
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Years ago my wife managed to hit a transmission that FELL out of a truck. Not the bed of a truck mind you, it was an actual drivetrain component of the operation truck rolling down the highway. It just fell out.
If it was from and old beat up car in MI, it may have been my friends. He was rolling down the highway from K-Zoo. Apparently his manual tranny either didn't have the mechanism that keeps you from putting it into reverse while moving forward, or it wasn't functioning. Either way, he did, at about 60, and it tore it right the hell out. He lost control of the car, hit a guardrail, and the tranny ground to a halt somewhere nearby.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
cmelnick is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
async's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 3,943
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
NAFTA regulations limits the areas that Mexican trucks are allowed in the US and inspections are performed.

[youtube]3-RP_CQKTug[/youtube]

async is offline  
post #11 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member
 
RC51_CBRXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 10,498
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Again, posting uninformed. It's quite useless posting facts with you, because you wouldn't understand. When you have had the responsiblity of logistics for an international company that actually runs trucks across the US - Mexico border several 10's of times a day. Please don't post ignorate comments as before.

I just need to resist responding to misinformed verbal vomit.

RC51_CBRXX is offline  
post #12 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,109
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Async, that's a shocking CNN report! Hopefully it doesn't happen and erode our road's safety!

dream is offline  
post #13 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
async's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 3,943
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Again, posting uninformed. It's quite useless posting facts with you, because you wouldn't understand. When you have had the responsiblity of logistics for an international company that actually runs trucks across the US - Mexico border several 10's of times a day. Please don't post ignorate comments as before.

I just need to resist responding to misinformed verbal vomit.


My opinion is based on the Lou Dobbs piece I posted and articles I've read on this site (referenced in the Lou Dobbs piece also):

http://www.trucksafety.org/NAFTA_and_Mexican_Trucks.php

async is offline  
post #14 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Aquilifer
 
hooker_47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 1,250
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
One of the big problems with NAFTA is that trucks from Mexico don't have to adhere to the same safety regulations as American trucks. The Mexican trucks are usually overloaded and have poor maintenance records.

Something needs to be done about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
My opinion is based on the Lou Dobbs piece I posted and articles I've read on this site (referenced in the Lou Dobbs piece also):

http://www.trucksafety.org/NAFTA_and_Mexican_Trucks.php
The Lou Dobbs piece talks about things that could happen, and your second post from the "trucksafety" website refutes your opinion. I'm not sure what the heck you are talking about. Please enlighten me.

-Joe
hooker_47 is offline  
post #15 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
async's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 3,943
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
Please enlighten me.
The teamsters do a better job than I could of articulating the problems. All I know is what I've read (and seen on CNN).

http://www.teamster.org/action/polit...dot_submit.htm

I've copied and pasted it below if you don't want to go to that site. Based (again) on what I've read, this appears to be yet another case of corporate America looking for ways to make more money by screwing another large group of American workers. The goal of the Bush administration appears to be to enable outsourcing of all (or at least most) trucking to Mexican trucking companies.

Public safety be damned, the pursuit of $$$ trumps all!
Spoiler:

Driver Violations: Drivers that have been stopped on U.S. highways have high out of service (OOS) rates for operating without a drivers license, for not having a legal license to operate the vehicle they were driving, and for not having hours of service (HOS) logbooks and records of duty status (RODS) as required under U.S. law.

Vehicle Violations: Vehicles that have been stopped on U.S. highway have high rates of poorly adjusted brakes and inoperable lamps.

Drug/Alcohol Testing: Mexico does not require workplace drug and alcohol testing of truck drivers as under U.S. law.
  • There is rampant drug use among Mexican truck drivers as a means to stay awake because employers push them to the limit;
  • There are no certified drug/alcohol testing laboratories in Mexico;
  • Samples collected in Mexico have to be sent to a U.S. lab for analysis;
  • The DOT Inspector General cannot verify that drug/alcohol sample collection procedures in Mexico meet U.S. standards for quality, purity and security;
  • Samples collected at the U.S. border may prove more reliable, but letting drivers know when and where they will be tested defeats the purpose of random testing and does not address U.S. requirements for pre-employment and reasonable suspicion testing.
  • There needs to be scientifically valid random drug testing.
Hours of Service: In addition to not maintaining HOS records, Mexico has no enforced HOS requirements so drivers can operate for an unlimited number of hours within Mexico and arrive at the U.S. border fatigued. Up until two years ago, Mexican drivers were not even required to carry logbooks. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration admits that it cannot penalize a driver for actions that occurred in Mexico if they have a logbook and other required records.

Mexican Drivers License: Fraudulent commercial drivers licenses are easy to obtain in Mexico. They are available on street corners for the right price. There is no agreement between the U.S. and Mexico on medical standards for commercial drivers licenses.

Mexican drivers are not subject to the same disqualifications of their CDL for violations occurring in their personal vehicle.

A Mexican driver that could be disqualified under the U.S. system will be able to drive on our U.S. highways.

Operating Authority Enforcement: Half of the U.S. States either have not enforced the laws against vehicles that lack operating authority or have problems obtaining the information needed to confirm if a vehicle lacks operating authority.

Data Quality: States are required to supply data on violations and convictions of Mexican drivers in the U.S. to a federal database. There have been serious problems with reporting these violations and convictions in each border State. About one-quarter (25%) of the requests for information on Mexican drivers indicate that the driver has a violation or conviction.

Bus Safety Inspections: The DOT Inspector General found that further improvements are needed at border crossings including inspection ramps and full-time personnel to accommodate bus and motorcoach inspections. In order to evade the fact that preparations for bus inspections are not complete, buses and motorcoaches are not included in the pilot program.

Hazardous Materials: The U.S. and Mexico have not reached agreement regarding the movement of placarded hazardous materials shipments from Mexico into the U.S. and beyond the commercial border zones. U.S. law requires criminal background checks be performed for CDL drivers with a hazardous materials endorsement. In order to evade the fact that the safety of cross-border hazardous materials shipments have not been addressed they are also excluded.

One of the most frequent Out-of-Service violations for Mexican drivers hauling hazardous materials into the commercial zones is mis-placarding or no placarding at all. If hazmat shipments are not labeled properly, how will we be sure that hazardous materials are not coming beyond the commercial zones via this pilot program.

Vehicles Not Built to U.S. Standards: Federal law requires that vehicles operated in the U.S. must meet the federal motor vehicle safety standards. Until 1996, most trucks and buses built in Mexico were not built to U.S. standards. Since then, an unknown number of trucks have not included safety equipment required by U.S. standards, such as antilock braking systems. Unless the vehicle has a certification label, border inspectors will not be able to determine whether a truck or bus entering the U.S. is as safe as vehicles built to the U.S. safety standards.

The DOT Border Pilot Program is Illegal: The safety problems mentioned above are covered by Section 350, which requires that DOT must completely fulfill these goals before the border with Mexico can be opened. Until those requirements have been fully completed, the border cannot legally be opened to any trucks. In addition, federal law governs how pilot programs must be carried out, and sets certain safety and procedural criteria that must be met. Section 4007, Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (1998). DOT and FMCSA have also not complied with that law.

Mexico-domiciled Motor Carriers Pose Threat to "Cabotage" Rules: NAFTA, customs and immigration related regulations restrict foreign-based trucks and drivers to carrying international shipments between their home countries and individual points in the U.S. Generally referred to as "cabotage" rules, these regulations also prohibit foreign trucks and drivers from moving domestic loads from point to point within the U.S. Once a foreign-domiciled truck crosses the border and enters the interior of our country, they will encounter virtually no enforcement of these regulations. Mexican truckers willing to haul at substantially lower rates will become a very attractive option to domestic shippers, brokers and freight forwarders. With no credible enforcement effort in place to deter them, Mexican motor carriers will surely seize the opportunity to arrange the pick up and delivery of loads all over the U.S., earning far more than they can in their own country.

Crashes by Mexico-domiciled Motor Carriers Raise Concerns Over Insurance Coverage: In the event of a crash or serious accident that involves either liability for serious injury or extensive freight clean up on a U.S. highway, Mexico-domiciled motor carriers have an advantage over U.S. companies. U.S. motor carriers are covered by insurance and the company's assets, if necessary, are subject to the jurisdiction of U.S. courts. The same is not true for Mexico-domiciled motor carriers whose only exposure is, for all practical purposes, only the amount of insurance coverage they are required to maintain by FMCSA. Although Mexico-domiciled motor carriers can be sued in Mexico, it is onerous for U.S. citizens and localities to sue under the judicial system in Mexico.

If you don't agree with me, fine. I don't profess to be a "expert" but I do have the ability to read, which I do as often as I can about this and other subjects.

async is offline  
post #16 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Ben
 
HondaStreetfigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,392
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
One of the big problems with NAFTA is that trucks from Mexico don't have to adhere to the same safety regulations as American trucks. The Mexican trucks are usually overloaded and have poor maintenance records.

Something needs to be done about it.
+1!!!

2 > 4
HondaStreetfigh is offline  
post #17 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Aquilifer
 
hooker_47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 1,250
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
The teamsters do a better job than I could of articulating the problems. All I know is what I've read (and seen on CNN).

http://www.teamster.org/action/polit...dot_submit.htm

I've copied and pasted it below if you don't want to go to that site. Based (again) on what I've read, this appears to be yet another case of corporate America looking for ways to make more money by screwing another large group of American workers. The goal of the Bush administration appears to be to enable outsourcing of all (or at least most) trucking to Mexican trucking companies.

Public safety be damned, the pursuit of $$$ trumps all!
Spoiler:

Driver Violations: Drivers that have been stopped on U.S. highways have high out of service (OOS) rates for operating without a drivers license, for not having a legal license to operate the vehicle they were driving, and for not having hours of service (HOS) logbooks and records of duty status (RODS) as required under U.S. law.

Vehicle Violations: Vehicles that have been stopped on U.S. highway have high rates of poorly adjusted brakes and inoperable lamps.

Drug/Alcohol Testing: Mexico does not require workplace drug and alcohol testing of truck drivers as under U.S. law.
  • There is rampant drug use among Mexican truck drivers as a means to stay awake because employers push them to the limit;
  • There are no certified drug/alcohol testing laboratories in Mexico;
  • Samples collected in Mexico have to be sent to a U.S. lab for analysis;
  • The DOT Inspector General cannot verify that drug/alcohol sample collection procedures in Mexico meet U.S. standards for quality, purity and security;
  • Samples collected at the U.S. border may prove more reliable, but letting drivers know when and where they will be tested defeats the purpose of random testing and does not address U.S. requirements for pre-employment and reasonable suspicion testing.
  • There needs to be scientifically valid random drug testing.
Hours of Service: In addition to not maintaining HOS records, Mexico has no enforced HOS requirements so drivers can operate for an unlimited number of hours within Mexico and arrive at the U.S. border fatigued. Up until two years ago, Mexican drivers were not even required to carry logbooks. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration admits that it cannot penalize a driver for actions that occurred in Mexico if they have a logbook and other required records.

Mexican Drivers License: Fraudulent commercial drivers licenses are easy to obtain in Mexico. They are available on street corners for the right price. There is no agreement between the U.S. and Mexico on medical standards for commercial drivers licenses.

Mexican drivers are not subject to the same disqualifications of their CDL for violations occurring in their personal vehicle.

A Mexican driver that could be disqualified under the U.S. system will be able to drive on our U.S. highways.

Operating Authority Enforcement: Half of the U.S. States either have not enforced the laws against vehicles that lack operating authority or have problems obtaining the information needed to confirm if a vehicle lacks operating authority.

Data Quality: States are required to supply data on violations and convictions of Mexican drivers in the U.S. to a federal database. There have been serious problems with reporting these violations and convictions in each border State. About one-quarter (25%) of the requests for information on Mexican drivers indicate that the driver has a violation or conviction.

Bus Safety Inspections: The DOT Inspector General found that further improvements are needed at border crossings including inspection ramps and full-time personnel to accommodate bus and motorcoach inspections. In order to evade the fact that preparations for bus inspections are not complete, buses and motorcoaches are not included in the pilot program.

Hazardous Materials: The U.S. and Mexico have not reached agreement regarding the movement of placarded hazardous materials shipments from Mexico into the U.S. and beyond the commercial border zones. U.S. law requires criminal background checks be performed for CDL drivers with a hazardous materials endorsement. In order to evade the fact that the safety of cross-border hazardous materials shipments have not been addressed they are also excluded.

One of the most frequent Out-of-Service violations for Mexican drivers hauling hazardous materials into the commercial zones is mis-placarding or no placarding at all. If hazmat shipments are not labeled properly, how will we be sure that hazardous materials are not coming beyond the commercial zones via this pilot program.

Vehicles Not Built to U.S. Standards: Federal law requires that vehicles operated in the U.S. must meet the federal motor vehicle safety standards. Until 1996, most trucks and buses built in Mexico were not built to U.S. standards. Since then, an unknown number of trucks have not included safety equipment required by U.S. standards, such as antilock braking systems. Unless the vehicle has a certification label, border inspectors will not be able to determine whether a truck or bus entering the U.S. is as safe as vehicles built to the U.S. safety standards.

The DOT Border Pilot Program is Illegal: The safety problems mentioned above are covered by Section 350, which requires that DOT must completely fulfill these goals before the border with Mexico can be opened. Until those requirements have been fully completed, the border cannot legally be opened to any trucks. In addition, federal law governs how pilot programs must be carried out, and sets certain safety and procedural criteria that must be met. Section 4007, Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (1998). DOT and FMCSA have also not complied with that law.

Mexico-domiciled Motor Carriers Pose Threat to "Cabotage" Rules: NAFTA, customs and immigration related regulations restrict foreign-based trucks and drivers to carrying international shipments between their home countries and individual points in the U.S. Generally referred to as "cabotage" rules, these regulations also prohibit foreign trucks and drivers from moving domestic loads from point to point within the U.S. Once a foreign-domiciled truck crosses the border and enters the interior of our country, they will encounter virtually no enforcement of these regulations. Mexican truckers willing to haul at substantially lower rates will become a very attractive option to domestic shippers, brokers and freight forwarders. With no credible enforcement effort in place to deter them, Mexican motor carriers will surely seize the opportunity to arrange the pick up and delivery of loads all over the U.S., earning far more than they can in their own country.

Crashes by Mexico-domiciled Motor Carriers Raise Concerns Over Insurance Coverage: In the event of a crash or serious accident that involves either liability for serious injury or extensive freight clean up on a U.S. highway, Mexico-domiciled motor carriers have an advantage over U.S. companies. U.S. motor carriers are covered by insurance and the company's assets, if necessary, are subject to the jurisdiction of U.S. courts. The same is not true for Mexico-domiciled motor carriers whose only exposure is, for all practical purposes, only the amount of insurance coverage they are required to maintain by FMCSA. Although Mexico-domiciled motor carriers can be sued in Mexico, it is onerous for U.S. citizens and localities to sue under the judicial system in Mexico.

If you don't agree with me, fine. I don't profess to be a "expert" but I do have the ability to read, which I do as often as I can about this and other subjects.
I think you misunderstand me. Despite what the "horrible" administration of Bush's is trying to do, according to the article you posted from trucksafety.org, they were unable to get the bill through. If that is the case, then the safety of the Mexican truckers is not an issue, yet. It may be in the future, but it looks like the right people are exercising their rights and trying to do something to stop this. That's my point. I just thought you were jumping the gun a little, because you said it is a problem, but rather it looks like it could become a problem.

-Joe
hooker_47 is offline  
post #18 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
async's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 3,943
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
I think you misunderstand me. Despite what the "horrible" administration of Bush's is trying to do, according to the article you posted from trucksafety.org, they were unable to get the bill through. If that is the case, then the safety of the Mexican truckers is not an issue, yet. It may be in the future, but it looks like the right people are exercising their rights and trying to do something to stop this. That's my point. I just thought you were jumping the gun a little, because you said it is a problem, but rather it looks like it could become a problem.
The teamsters explain why it is a problem today. Trucksafety.org and CNN (Lou Dobbs) explain the additional problems that would exist if Bush gets his bill through. I apologize for not more accurately articulating my points, however during the day I (like everyone else) work can don't have the luxury of writing an essay outlining my arguments and proving them point by point in MLA format with references.

I tend, instead, to just post articles that I agree with.

async is offline  
post #19 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Optio
 
9nineteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles (Newhall)
Posts: 842
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Just Stay Away from Semis. . .period!! Squid or not. Caution Pics.

I'll let this thread speak for itself. . .

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/gen...-pictures.html

9nineteen is offline  
post #20 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
async's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 3,943
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nineteen View Post
I'll let this thread speak for itself. . .

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/gen...-pictures.html
Damn, that's a horrible way to go..

async is offline  
post #21 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Fool in the Rain
 
HondaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 10,285
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

FYI in my case, both the truck that blew a tire and the truck a transmission fell out of were American owned and operated within the state of Kentucky.

Blown tires and mechanical failure happen in the states as well as elsewhere. I didn't ask the driver of either vehicle if they were democrat or republican, didn't matter. What did matter is that myself and my wife lived through both episodes.

Honestly, if something life threatening happened in either incident, I'd have a hard time blaming George Bush or Al Gore for the incident. I would probably absolve the governor of responsibility also. But that's just me.

Be safe.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
HondaJim is offline  
post #22 of 35 Old 07-19-2007, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Two Wheeled Warlord
 
Danke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salmon Arm, B.C.
Posts: 1,143
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
FYI in my case, both the truck that blew a tire and the truck a transmission fell out of were American owned and operated within the state of Kentucky.

Blown tires and mechanical failure happen in the states as well as elsewhere. I didn't ask the driver of either vehicle if they were democrat or republican, didn't matter. What did matter is that myself and my wife lived through both episodes.

Honestly, if something life threatening happened in either incident, I'd have a hard time blaming George Bush or Al Gore for the incident. I would probably absolve the governor of responsibility also. But that's just me.

Be safe.
You'll never get Larry J Lawyer suing for you with that attitude!

You're right, it's random, it's unpredicable, tires and deer and drunks don't have an agenda or an lobby they just happen. Best thing to do is avoid where they're happening.

Danke is offline  
post #23 of 35 Old 07-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Optio
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lousiville
Posts: 903
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I used to ride so close to the big trucks that I did not need to use the throttle and if it was raing I didn't get wet.

Notice I said used to...I'm cruising along somewhere following a trailor close enough to not feel any wind blast from anything but not close enough to be pulled along by it,every now and then I'd poke my head out to let the driver know I was still there...
Anyway I started to get hungry and was getting off at the next exit.Luck would have it so did the truck.Waffle House being what it is was at the exit and there I ate so did the driver.During this time we ate drank coffee him at his table me on the other side of the room.After He finished He came and asked me bout the bike He was a rider also,went as far as thanking me for letting Him know I was still there every now and then Good Ideal He said.Then in a much more stern tone ask me what I knew of retreads and blow outs,not much I reply.He then goes on to tell me that He has seen retreads RIP the rear bumbers off the back of a flatbed .As of that day on I do not ride anywhere near The big trucks!

tvetree is offline  
post #24 of 35 Old 07-30-2007, 02:29 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
Lemonhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,613
Rep Power: 1
 
Good thread so far. Tvtree, you answered a question I was just thinking to myself today as I started to get sucked into the trailer by riding a little too close.

As a prof. driver I try to keep aware of what's around me at all times. I'm not perfect but I do my best. For those of you who do a lot of highway miles, please share how you view the driving skills of big truck drivers. Do you feel "safe" around them, tires and F.O.D. not withstanding? Or, do we seem like a bunch of bearded grebes who could care less? Again, as a professional,
I'd like to know what the cycling community thinks.

Thanks
Lemonhead

Lemonhead is offline  
post #25 of 35 Old 07-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Fool in the Rain
 
HondaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 10,285
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I think the majority of semi drivers are skilled drivers. I worry about maintenance on their rigs, and the ones who seem to have been awake at the wheel too long. And, as with anything, you can always get the just plain bad ones. But the majority I feel safe around.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
HondaJim is offline  
post #26 of 35 Old 07-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Power 2 the pedal
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Cackalacky
Posts: 10,093
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I feel that most drivers I have encountered have respect for riders if the riders reciprocate the respect for the truck, and its abilities. Both of may parents work for UPS Freight (Formerly Overnite), and they tell me all sorts of stories about the dumbasses on two wheels making a bad name for the rest of us. As with anything that imposes a level of risk to the rider, trucks and their drivers should be given a clear path, and make absolutely sure the driver knows where you are at any given time. More often than not, they will respect you for it, and throw a hand up.

Ridge is offline  
post #27 of 35 Old 07-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 1
 
Although the chances of this happening again is extremely rare, last Friday a storm drain cover was thrown up by a semi and landed in a car, injuring the driver. Luckily nobody else was in the car, but imagine what it would've done to a bike

Link to article, no graphic pics http://wbz1030.com/pages/726235.php?...ntentId=726486

03 919 (most of it anyway)
Teksi is offline  
post #28 of 35 Old 07-30-2007, 08:05 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
Lemonhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,613
Rep Power: 1
 
Crikey! I know most of the roads in this country are crap, but that's just rediculous.

Lemonhead is offline  
post #29 of 35 Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Fool in the Rain
 
HondaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 10,285
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teksi View Post
Although the chances of this happening again is extremely rare, last Friday a storm drain cover was thrown up by a semi and landed in a car, injuring the driver. Luckily nobody else was in the car, but imagine what it would've done to a bike

Link to article, no graphic pics http://wbz1030.com/pages/726235.php?...ntentId=726486
Ha! That reminds me, and tvetree can back me up, a few years ago there was a sewer explosion in Louisville. One of the manhole covers flipped a car underneath an underpass.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
HondaJim is offline  
post #30 of 35 Old 07-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Optio
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lousiville
Posts: 903
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Ha! That reminds me, and tvetree can back me up, a few years ago there was a sewer explosion in Louisville. One of the manhole covers flipped a car underneath an underpass.

I Didn't go anywhere near Downtown then...I heard it was really messed up though.

tvetree is offline  
post #31 of 35 Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Fool in the Rain
 
HondaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 10,285
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvetree View Post
I Didn't go anywhere near Downtown then...I heard it was really messed up though.
That was a messed up day. Good to see you posting up. We gotta go ride someday.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
HondaJim is offline  
post #32 of 35 Old 07-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Optio
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lousiville
Posts: 903
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I agree seems the only rides I do are to work ,and goffer runs.

You know go fer this an that

tvetree is offline  
post #33 of 35 Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
Lemonhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,613
Rep Power: 1
 
I love goffer runs. I always volunteer when it's bill payin' time. 5 or 6 are local.

I got a chance to "commute" to work today. 1st time. It was

Lemonhead is offline  
post #34 of 35 Old 07-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
async's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 3,943
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Ha! That reminds me, and tvetree can back me up, a few years ago there was a sewer explosion in Louisville. One of the manhole covers flipped a car underneath an underpass.
http://www.courier-journal.com/cjext...0622-7937.html

async is offline  
post #35 of 35 Old 07-31-2007, 03:24 AM
my2ndhornet
 
my2ndhornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teksi View Post
Although the chances of this happening again is extremely rare, last Friday a storm drain cover was thrown up by a semi and landed in a car
About a year ago when the Aussie Superv8's (a class of racing a bit like your old trans-am series) went to the new Circuit in Beijing, that's exactly what happened - while the cars were practicing - on the RACE TRACK
Fortunately, no one was hurt - but no one was impressed

back to topic - a timely reminder thanks m8

Candy Red
2005-CB900F
my2ndhornet is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome