Running high beams during the day - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 05-05-2015, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Running high beams during the day

Who here rides with their high beams on during the day?

When I had my 9er, the headlight was terrible, so I rode with my high beams on all the time during the day. My wife's Magna is even worse and the low beams don't do squat even at night... so the high beams are on always.

Now that I have a bike with a 'better' headlight, I'm wondering if anybody runs high beams during the day? My VFR's headlights are orders of magnitude better than my 9er (and Magna)... To the point where if following the wife on the Magna at night, I can cast a shadow out in front of her.

I'd rather be seen and hated then minced meat... but am I doing more harm than good?

[This space for rent]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Left of Centre

High beams on other vehicles annoy me intensely, at all times of day, so I don't run them myself.

post #3 of 21 Old 05-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
As long as it's bright outside, I run high beams. The additional visibility is absolutely worth it, and the cost to other motorists is basically nil. The human eye is a pretty complex structure, and does a great job of handling the output as long as it's daylight. Night, no way I'd run brights. Using high beams risks blinding drivers since their eyes will automatically attempt to adjust to the additional light. This means it's harder to see things in the darkness, so you're actually increasing the probability of causing an accident.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"

post #4 of 21 Old 05-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Omnivore

I run high beams during the day as well - as long as I am not following someone (be it riding buddies or cars)... being as visible as I can to other vehicles is important to me. I have had other cars flick their high beams or give me the finger - eff'em... at least they saw me.

post #5 of 21 Old 05-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I know this can be equally annoying to oncoming drivers, but when I have oncoming traffic and I'm concerned about people not seeing me, I turn on headlight modulators. At least that is not a blinding issue for drivers seeing my 919.
I don't have modulators for my VFR - but I know the 4 beams from the VFR (on high) are hard to miss.
There is nothing wrong with running w/ high beams as long as you turn them off if signaled by oncoming drivers.

post #6 of 21 Old 05-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I don't run High Beams during the day or use a modulator on any of my bikes. My best option if you want to be seen is to wear Hi-viz gear, good lane position with an escape route, and look under/around objects. My technique includes only going to high beam immediately if I feel that a vehicle will pull out in front of me or make a left turn across my path. This has been very effective over my riding career.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #7 of 21 Old 05-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I always run high beams in the daytime. Glad I do too, the other day I noticed the high beam indicator wasn't lit. The wire in the kill switch had let go. Otherwise I wouldn't have known for a while.

Spoiler:

post #8 of 21 Old 05-05-2015, 03:52 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Yep, high beams for me too. Hope they see us...

post #9 of 21 Old 05-06-2015, 05:45 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
I don't run High Beams during the day or use a modulator on any of my bikes. My best option if you want to be seen is to wear Hi-viz gear, good lane position with an escape route, and look under/around objects. My technique includes only going to high beam immediately if I feel that a vehicle will pull out in front of me or make a left turn across my path. This has been very effective over my riding career.
Sums it up for me too.

post #10 of 21 Old 05-06-2015, 07:21 AM
Discen

I do it all day, everyday, until dusk. Anything to increase my visibility. And I also have a Fiamm airhorn that will make texting/talking/Starbucksdrinking/makeupapplying/yellingatthekids/minivandriving soccer mom wet her designer jeans when she tries to splatter me.

post #11 of 21 Old 05-06-2015, 08:05 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
I understand this approach, but I don't see how all of this means the other two options wouldn't be worth consideration. All your tactics are definitely worthwhile, but it generally doesn't irritate anyone when bikes use high beams/modulators, and it might lead to someone noticing you. Plus, of course, running high beams costs you nothing. Hell, I'd drag a dirigible behind my bike if it was practical and improved my chances of survival. Essentially, I guess I'm just pointing out that your method doesn't make the high beam option an either/or proposition. You can do all that, plus use high beams or a modulator. If it gets noticed, why not?

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #12 of 21 Old 05-06-2015, 09:35 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

A bit off topic, on my other bike, I bought a strobe light kit hooked up a 2nd rear brake switch that would cause the strobe to flash when I tapped the rear brakes.

When I saw a car that was going to make a left turn in front of me, I hit the strobe.

Another trick is to wobble a bit as you ride. I do this if there's a chance someone won't see me and turn left. Just a bit of a swing side to side makes you much more visible.

post #13 of 21 Old 05-06-2015, 09:36 AM
Brain stolen again?

No hi-beams with oncoming traffic ever.
I don't like looking into them myself at any light condition so I don't treat others that way.

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #14 of 21 Old 05-06-2015, 10:50 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BockHawk View Post
but it generally doesn't irritate anyone when bikes use high beams/modulators,
I disagree... I ride all the time, and it still irritates me when I see a bike using high beams or modulators... I'm not saying it doesn't work, or that I'd advise against it, I just find it annoying and think it looks ridiculous.
Also, some of the newer bikes have headlights that are downright blinding with their high beams on...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #15 of 21 Old 05-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BockHawk View Post
I understand this approach, but I don't see how all of this means the other two options wouldn't be worth consideration. All your tactics are definitely worthwhile, but it generally doesn't irritate anyone when bikes use high beams/modulators, and it might lead to someone noticing you. Plus, of course, running high beams costs you nothing. Hell, I'd drag a dirigible behind my bike if it was practical and improved my chances of survival. Essentially, I guess I'm just pointing out that your method doesn't make the high beam option an either/or proposition. You can do all that, plus use high beams or a modulator. If it gets noticed, why not?
To be considered Yes! But no reason implement them in my case as my tactics have served me well over the years.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #16 of 21 Old 05-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Milites Gregarius

It is against the law in most states to drive with your high beams within 500 feet of oncoming traffic or 350 feet following traffic...night time or not.

1972 Honda CL350 "sold"
1981 Honda CB750 Custom "sold"
1983 Honda V45 "sold"
1975 Honda 400F "sold"
1978 Honda 750K "sold"
1969 CT70K0
1980 CBX "sold"
2006 900F 919
post #17 of 21 Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDogDewey View Post
It is against the law in most states to drive with your high beams within 500 feet of oncoming traffic or 350 feet following traffic...night time or not.
I think it's the other way around. A lot of the states I've been in have had "day time light" sections where you could get ticketed if you didn't have your lights on.

I run high beams on the 919 during the day since its low beam isn't bright enough. If I had a bike with high light output on low beam then I wouldn't have a need for using high beam during the day.

post #18 of 21 Old 05-07-2015, 02:49 PM
just ride it...

I was wondering myself if it made a difference in daytime riding with high vs. low beam. I normally ride with my highbeam on during the day. I figure the more light I can throw out the better. I decided to go three days on my to and from work commute with my low beam to see if there was a difference. I notice more people changing lanes closer to me, pulling out in front of me, and generally not seeing me. So, I swear by riding with my brights on during the day. You can tell me I'm wrong all day, and I'll ignore you and ride on my merry way.

post #19 of 21 Old 05-07-2015, 11:12 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Sadly the issue of safety and being seen assumes the other people paying attention.

post #20 of 21 Old 05-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Here in so cal i run high beams ALL the time during the day.

ANYTHING to increase visibility.

High beam plus 2 10w LED pods blaring light forward. IF i get flashed during the day i give the person a thumbs up cus that means they noticed me!

post #21 of 21 Old 08-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Milites Gregarius

i used to run hi beams all the time, but now I don't. I realized that when i see other bikes with high beams, while i "see" them, i have a harder time judging their distance, i just squint and see halo of light sometimes.

When i see other bikes sans high beams I can better tell their approach speeds and that's what i want others to know about me so I just run lows, and flash hi's if i think or suspect someone has not spotted me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode