Riding Bee-otch - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Riding Bee-otch

I'm pleased to say I am finally at a point with my current "lady friend" that I have invited her for a ride on my bike. This is actually a big deal, because since my divorce 2 years ago she is the first one I have ever extended an invitation too but also she will be my first two up ride as well as her first time on a motorcycle. So I thought I'd castrate myself to my WT family for some advice to proper techiques etc.

I've already told hert I ride ATGATT and I expect her to be well covered as well (within reason). I'm not asking her to buy full leathers but she will have ankle high boots, full face helmet, and I'm trying to secure a REAL jacket versus a fashion statment in leather. We will be going slow and on some easy roads I am familiar with. Plus I have already explained the dynamic of "When I lean you lean..." But I was wondering if you all might have some additional thoughts that I may not be aware of.

My biggest concern is how the weight changes etc in turns acceleration breaking etc. I want this to be fun for both of us.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-15-2009, 07:49 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I think my bike actually handles better with a girl on the back. It is a totally different feeling and so much fun to be able to share your passion for riding with someone else. Nothing makes me happier inside than hearing endless giggles coming from the helmet behind me.

Be careful accelerating. The bike will want to come up and unless she is crazy like the girl I ride with all the time (who's catch phrase is "Luke!!! Lets do wheelies!!!!") she wont like that at all.

Make sure to keep your butt up against the back of your seat or she will end up sliding down onto your seat the first time you hit a bump and hammer your family jewels against the tank.

Take it easy until you are both very very secure and adjusted to the different ride. Once she "gets it" and it seems like its one moment where it clicks and they know how to ride it will be the most fun you have ever had on your bike.

Spoiler:
post #3 of 21 Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Make sure she knows not to make any quick movements or glances while in a turn. Don't look at anything during that time but the end of the turn. Look over your inside shoulder. If you ride with the balls of your feet on your pegs she will have to do the same on her pegs.

Some guys like their girls to put their hands on the tank while they are coming to a stop. I don't. I have my wife keep her arms wrapped around me just in case I have to hit the throttle for some reason. You will have to hold her weight too while stopping, but to me it is much better than having her fall off the back.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625

post #4 of 21 Old 05-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
Make sure she knows not to make any quick movements or glances while in a turn. Don't look at anything during that time but the end of the turn. Look over your inside shoulder. If you ride with the balls of your feet on your pegs she will have to do the same on her pegs.

Some guys like their girls to put their hands on the tank while they are coming to a stop. I don't. I have my wife keep her arms wrapped around me just in case I have to hit the throttle for some reason. You will have to hold her weight too while stopping, but to me it is much better than having her fall off the back.
+100 good advice that I forgot! I HATE when girls put their hands on the tank!!! I am totally helpless my only choice is to keep stopping.

Spoiler:
post #5 of 21 Old 05-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

Watch the slow speed stuff, keep the throttle up and use the rear brake.
Nothing like dropping it in a parking lot while doing some slow speed maneuvering.

Take your time, you'll get the feel for it and remember it takes longer to stop the bike w/ the extra weight if you only use your standard brake pressure. Stay sharp.

post #6 of 21 Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Sixty-9er

keep your feet on the pegs at all times and don't slide up on the seat forcing my balls into the tank

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #7 of 21 Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Hey man no need to castrate but I`m thinking prostrate is the word you were looking for.

Anybody don`t wanna get killed better clear on out the back.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-15-2009, 10:17 PM

Garage

Awards Showcase

If this is her first time (riding on the back of a motorcycle) this is going to seem too much to her. It will be a learning process for you both. Just take it slow and it will become habit soon enough. Never get upset if she does anything wrong. Explain to her why and she'll remember. My wife and I have gone to Idaho from San Diego and back 2up and a SoCal periodic ride 2up. Not problems at all. You two will have plenty of fun.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

post #9 of 21 Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

take it slow and get comfortable first.

everyone else has advice is very sound.

Most important is that you lay out ground rules and gestures as well as how to react or what to do while riding before beginning the ride. As Basspiece said the bike handles different with a female on board, some things seem smoother or easier, but others are more difficult.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #10 of 21 Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
As Basspiece said the bike handles different with a female on board, some things seem smoother or easier, but others are more difficult.
I find slow speeds harder for me for sure. Be careful at stop lights and low speed turns. Higher speeds its alot easier, I find it much easier to rake the pegs with Brittany on the back than alone. My body position 2up is also better and she has gotten to the point where when I am going into a turn she throws a knee out to make room for my butt to slide over to the other side of the seat. That is so much fun over the mountain, Me hanging one way then going to switch to go the other way and her knees almost pushing me into the correct position. Its kind of like a high speed dance.

Spoiler:
post #11 of 21 Old 05-16-2009, 04:38 AM
Sheepdog

Most girls think it is just a "line" but it's best if they hold you close and firmly, this helps keep them in tune with your movements. Besides, I really want to have my women as close as possible when they have "excitement between their legs" like me or my honda (and having both is twice as nice!)

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
post #12 of 21 Old 05-16-2009, 05:13 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I'll add my questions here because I plan on doing some 2up riding soon as well.

I've riden with only 2 people on the back. My sister and my sister-in-law. My little sister (just a few years) totally sucked at it. I tried being really smooth, but at every stop, she ended up sliding down into the rider seat with me forcing me to smash the goods against the tank. I think she just didn't want to touch me. Probably has something to do with the years of living in the same house! She also almost made me dump the bike will sitting at a light. She jerked around and pointed to something. It was all I could do to hold it up at that point.

Now my sister-in-law was like wearing a backpack. She rides with her husband a lot so it's all normal to her. I want my wife to take a few rides with me after the new baby so we can spend some quality time together. Just out to eat, maybe a movie, or eventually hit a slow cruising backroad to a mom & pop dinner.

so...here's the list I've gathered so far...
1. Have her hold you close so she can feel your movements and mimic them
2. Keep her arms around you
3. Avoid really slow maneuvers
4. Instruct them not to make any sudden moves/adjustments (especially when going slow)

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-16-2009, 05:40 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The only thing I would add is:
Make sure you pratice with her on getting on and off of the bike. You first and both feet planted firmly on the ground, then she gets on, Some passenger wants to just swing their leg over and some try to use the foot peg, you will have to find out what works for you and her. If you are not expecting the action your niner could be on it's side in a heart beat. Just take two seconds to make sure you are expecting the added weight and shift of position when she gets on and off.

post #14 of 21 Old 05-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Milites Gregarius

Just a thought for her comfort: Have her put ear plugs in. If your exhaust is still under the seat, she is gonna get a lot of nosie from right under her butt.

post #15 of 21 Old 05-16-2009, 07:21 AM

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguard60 View Post
The only thing I would add is:
Make sure you pratice with her on getting on and off of the bike. You first and both feet planted firmly on the ground, then she gets on, Some passenger wants to just swing their leg over and some try to use the foot peg, you will have to find out what works for you and her. If you are not expecting the action your niner could be on it's side in a heart beat. Just take two seconds to make sure you are expecting the added weight and shift of position when she gets on and off.
+5 I forgot about that.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #16 of 21 Old 05-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Need I say more?

Quick little throttle pops in first gear will result in a boobie mash on your back, that's always fun.

post #17 of 21 Old 05-16-2009, 08:03 AM

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Quick little throttle pops in first gear will result in a boobie mash on your back, that's always fun.
Same with a gentle tap of the front brake. Good God man. Where do you get your avatars? Blondes are nice, but that brunette in the last one.....

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #18 of 21 Old 05-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Need I say more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
Good God man. Where do you get your avatars? Blondes are nice, but that brunette in the last one.....
There both pics from Oktoberfest. I've never been to Germany, but I love good beer and kissing chicks!

post #19 of 21 Old 05-16-2009, 08:23 AM

Garage

Awards Showcase

Thought so. Outfits and beer mugs gave it away. I would really like to go to Germany, after I get an international license.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #20 of 21 Old 05-16-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Scrats words of wisdom: Ride Smart, Be protected, have fun!
i heart oktoberfest!

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #21 of 21 Old 05-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Tirone

Lightbulb static weight ?

Two upping can change the handling of your bike greatly. With the added weight of a passenger you might need to crank down your preload on your rear shock . As Ratdog suggested , try to use your rear brake in conjunction with your front, otherwise the front end will nose dive when slowing down or stopping .If you have a newer 919 (04 or newer) it will help alot by adjusting the compression and rebound on the front shocks. Maybe you already knew this but I didn't see it posted in this thread . gale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode