***OLD THREAD***Cops on motorcycles - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

***OLD THREAD***Cops on motorcycles

I wasn't sure where to post this...so move if neccessary.

I don't know what it is like in other areas of the country, but around here we have a few cops on motorcycles. Not sure exactly how many, but I see them fairly often.

My point of this thread is simple. They hardly wear any protective gear! Usually they have the standard bowl helmet, some tall boots, and a short sleaved uniform shirt.

It just seems strange to me that they aren't REQUIRED to wear more gear. Especially in the event that the guy has to ride at a high rate of speed.

bueller????

+ $5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

It's a disturbing abuse of public funds. Check out the below thread for great info.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8061

post #3 of 24 Old 08-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

The NC Troopers that ride the BMW's are required to wear an Aerostich suit handcrafted for each Trooper. I talked at length with the man in charge of their training department. He was the leading advocate for the switch to more gear.

post #4 of 24 Old 08-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Same here, hardley in gear; both Staties and City cops. It doesn't even get that hot here either, so i'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe more public complaints will get these guys suited up. Seems they would want to be more suited up... strange.

post #5 of 24 Old 08-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Dang

Do you wave to Motorcycle cops when you pass them? I havent had the opportunity but plan to when I pass one. Im interested to see the response.

We have them all over Boston, and they do not wear much for gear, tortiose helmet, big boots, gloves.... I think its an ego thing... They think they are the greatest operators in all the land.

post #6 of 24 Old 08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston919er View Post
Do you wave to Motorcycle cops when you pass them?
I did by accident once and he just stared at me as he passed. I thought for sure he was going to turn around and get me. I did have one in car in the next lane ask me about my bike once (919). Said he was thinking about getting one.

post #7 of 24 Old 08-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I have gotten a wave back from a motorcycle officer here in my little town. We have two, and they both ride Harley's. I will hand it to 'em though, I have seen them scrape the boards on those things coming out of a turn in pursuit. My friend saw it to, then he had to pull over for a 54 in a 45.

They both attended the Highway Patrol motor division's training for motorcycle officers. Funny though, the city officer's are sans-gear, and the highway officers are full ATGATT w/ flip-up helmet and all.

post #8 of 24 Old 08-28-2007, 02:02 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

I waved to one as well in San Diego. He just gave me this blank look. Down here seen them in a 3/4 helmet, short sleeves, tall boots, gloves, and mirrored aviators. Got one that parks by the store every afternoon when I leave for base. He just sits and watches me go by.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #9 of 24 Old 08-28-2007, 02:15 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I was at a redlight yesterday and I saw 3 dismounted bike cops walking shoulder to shoulder down the sidewalk, these guys were so tough not moving out of anybodies way, I even saw them laughing about it.

post #10 of 24 Old 10-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Teen Wolf

got pulled over the other day of the freeway splitting lanes, here in cali its legal. but if you look in the book there isnt to much there about it, just basicly it says to do it in a safe and prudent manner. he was a bike cop and came up next to me in between two cars and waved me down and said i was going to fast for the flow of traffic, politely i said i had only been going 10mph tops over what the traffic was moving along at and felt i was withing my limitations and at resonable speed . he still said that to him that was too fast and that the hairs on the back of his neck were sticking up catching up to me, he then went on to tell me how he has been riding since before i was born and how i shouldn't question his experience. he gave me a ticket for unsafe speed in between lanes for 25mph and hes said the "safe" speed was 15mph. the speed limit on the freeway was 50mph. now this cop was on a bagger, and ive owned a Harley and i hated splitting lanes with that thing thats why i now have my trusty 919. so i could see how it could have been to fast for him.. im not saying im a better rider but that you get used to the bike you ride. and that since my bike is narrower, not to mention more nimble and brakes quicker i would feel more comfortable at the speed. im thankful for his concern for my well being, but its kinda the nature of the beast if you ride you know some ###tty things can happen. I guess my question is should i fight it, or just take it from the Man and pay the 200 or so bucks and take traffic school. someone told me if i plead not guilty and am found guilty all be denied traffic school is this true?

post #11 of 24 Old 10-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

The few motorcycle officers I've seen around here wear the same thing, half helmet, sunglasses, long boots & not much else.
The ones I've waved at have always waved back.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-04-2009, 04:13 PM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

You go down without gear , you get hurt , hopefully get better so you can get back to work and pay off fixing your ride.
THEY get hurt , go out , get a "perminent" disability 1/2 to 3/4 pay from the taxpayers (us) and have no bike to pay and fix because it belonged to the department ! If they were ATGATT, might miss out on the early retirement plan.
While on duty they should be required to gear up. Especially since we pay for their medical coverage !!

P.S. All the scotter cops wave back (county). Havn't seen any Troopers on bikes.

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #13 of 24 Old 10-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Cotten Mouth Chris,, If you where doing 25 in a 55 I would be very tempted to fight it.
I would comment to the Judge if I where riding a bike twice as wide as mine, I would Never split lanes to begin with because there is so little clearance.
But I was not riding a full bagger, Take some pictures of a full dresser, and your bike, put a yard stick across both to drive the point.
The second point is if this is a judgement call, the question to ask the officer one the stand is, Sir there are NO, NOT one officeer on the force that not disagree with you.
Third point is your honor the law states (this) I read it and went with what it said. The officer and I disagree what safe it and it is not clearly stated.
Down sides, you need to check and see for your self what being found guilty could cost you, because your the once paying the price not us.

I wave at ALL motorcycles including cops, most wave back.

post #14 of 24 Old 10-04-2009, 04:36 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Motorcycle cops around here are cool, they wave, wear decent protective gear, whatever, they're good people.

Only problem I see if that they have to ride Harleys.

Great parade bikes, not good pursuit machines.

And they handle like, well, a Harley. We had one officer crash when entering a high speed (for a Harley) corner, motorcycle developed the well known death wobble, luckily, he was not hurt bad.

post #15 of 24 Old 10-04-2009, 06:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

With regards to motor officers not riding ATTGATT, and I've seen my share of them, isn't the classic black zippered "motorcycle jacket" also known as a "police jacket"? I think it was pioneered by wither the pittsburgh or chicago cops... I, too am bothered a bit that they ride unprotected, but it's not against the law...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #16 of 24 Old 10-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....

I have seen local police riding brand new BMW's that I bought for them this year with heavy boots, normal pants and a short sleeve shirt. Yes, I was kind of puzzled.. Never stopped to ask though. 97 percent of local roads are 25 around here but regardless.. Duh..

The state patrol in my area is strictly ATTGAT. Probably a better informed and funded program.

Most of them are quite friendly after you make your "first impression." ie: Not being stupid and blowing past them, grabbing gears like an epileptic with a wheel off the ground.

Then they usually will wave.

post #17 of 24 Old 10-05-2009, 01:21 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

When I've seen them around here, It appears to be that they are wearing the same type of uniform when in a patrol car

Of course, On colder days, They have jackets.

And yup, I've seen these guys scraping pipes and boards when cornering

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #18 of 24 Old 10-05-2009, 02:49 AM
919>food>beer

around here they wear 3/4 to full face helmets, decent boots and gloves, I know one of the captains rides a 9'r, we were discussing such when he pulled me over once.

post #19 of 24 Old 10-06-2009, 10:18 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

In all honesty, I consider it complete stupidity on the part of Police Departments and Police Officers.

No disrespect meant towards any LEO out there. But, to think that training alone is sufficient to prevent injury is silly. As with any good driver or rider out there, it is not just your skill you or abilities you are concerned about - it is also those of the people around you. You may consider yourself an "expert" rider, but what do you do when the distracted driver in the SUV turns into you or crosses their lane head on?

The LA County Sherriff's department actually got very, very progressive on this issue and they were prototyping some suits with their Motorcycle officer - yes people - suits! The suits were made by Dainese or one of the other major manufacturers. They were made to look like Sherriff's department uniforms in the Green and Brown colours, etc. They had full armour built in and were well vented. I met a number of Officers who admitted the heat and mobility restrictions were off concern, but they acknowledged the need for better protection. A lot of them were in support of this new uniform / suit.

However, as with anything else that involves Government - the good ole beaurecrats were having a field day deciding on whether to approve this suit. There were unbelievable hoops to jump through as a manufacturer to provide these uniforms. Then there was the approval process through the City Offices, etc.

A lot of Officers think about this issue and know they are under-dressed. I hope Officials start looking into seriously saving lifes of Officers and start equipping then right. We bother to put crash bars on the bikes to save them - but nothing really for the Flesh and Bones riders who have to ride.

post #20 of 24 Old 10-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakin919 View Post
I did by accident once and he just stared at me as he passed. I thought for sure he was going to turn around and get me.

+1 or 4.....I've had that exact thing happen on more than one occasion....will I continue to wave? Probably, but not expecting one in return from what I've seen so far.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #21 of 24 Old 10-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Milites Gregarius

I think I get a good amount of waves back from the local sheriffs when I'm in town. On the freeway a lot of people don't wave that much. Probably due to the need to watch out for distracted cali drivers.
My g/f's dad was CHP for a number of years, had a spill or 2 no road rash, he get's around fine now. I believe he mentioned that gear for LEO's was probably a good idea. But, as Aquilla said gov't is slow in everything except when you owe them money.

post #22 of 24 Old 10-06-2009, 01:35 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Up here in Seattle, we have a lot of local cops in Harleys. 3/4 helmet and a riding jacket. The state patrol however have flip-ups and wear full leathers, they ride BMWs. None of them wave back. They just keep looking ahead like they don't even see you.

post #23 of 24 Old 09-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston919er View Post
Do you wave to Motorcycle cops when you pass them? I havent had the opportunity but plan to when I pass one. Im interested to see the response.
Sometimes I wave, sometimes not. I *have* had motorcycle cops wave, and in at least one case, as I was blasting through a speed trap at 80+.

post #24 of 24 Old 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I always wave to them and they always wave back. I figure it's a nice jesture as they are bikers too. Plus it might earn me some brownie points if I ever need them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode