Note to self: HIT THE FREAKIN KILL SWITCH! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 32 Old 05-28-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Note to self: HIT THE FREAKIN KILL SWITCH!

Check out my latest gear purchase from Revzilla.

Four weeks ago I was parking the bike on the sidewalk beside the shop and not paying attention. I didn't realize until it was too late the rear tire was on the edge of the pavement and the bike began to tip to the right. Of course I tried to save it to no avail. My next thought was of that beautiful tank - "why didn't I get around to building those crash bars?" - and with the bike still in gear and my hand on the clutch I decided to let her down easy knowing she would lunge if I let go. So I slowly followed my baby down until I was sure the rear tire was off and then released the clutch. For some reason the motor bounced off the rev limiter 3 times before the level sensor shut it down. No harm no foul. Not a scratch. I looked around to make sure nobody saw me. This is not my first tip over rodeo and I knew to take a breath before snatching the bike back to its upright position. I went inside and returned 10 minutes later and set her back on the tires. No problemo, right? WRONG! About 20 minutes later my left shoulder informed me that I screwed up. I spent the next couple of days in denial and several more trying in futility to keep it immobilized. Then I googled rotator cuff. Ice, anti-inflammatories and range of motion exercises. My exam this morning revealed I most likely will not need surgery. I proceeded right into therapy. Now I can put the bike together, routine 43k stuff - tires, chain & sprockets, rear pads & rotor, oil & filter - and get back in the picture game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Pierre-Marc

Ken, it's a sick feeling knowing it's going over and there's not a thing you can do to stop it. hope the shoulder heals up quickly and you're back in
the saddle soon!

post #3 of 32 Old 05-29-2014, 09:13 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

That really sucks. Especially that helpless feeling. At least you knew how to handle it.
Glad you and the bike are OK.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.

post #4 of 32 Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Tesserarius

good luck with the shoulder!
I messed mine up last fall and have been in that denial stage.. slowly realizing this ones not getting better on it's own.. get that thing fixed!

post #5 of 32 Old 05-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Jesus that's a beefy brace! I wonder if they have some that cover both shoulders (I've had reconstruction done on both sides now).

Anyways, glad to hear your shoulder doesn't need repair, those can be a huge pain in the neck and (at least in my case) can take years to get to normal afterwards.

post #6 of 32 Old 05-30-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asraiil View Post
Jesus that's a beefy brace! I wonder if they have some that cover both shoulders (I've had reconstruction done on both sides now).

Anyways, glad to hear your shoulder doesn't need repair, those can be a huge pain in the neck and (at least in my case) can take years to get to normal afterwards.
Yeah it's surprisingly comfortable - designed to offer some compression without limiting range of motion, and to be worn under your gear which I did today. Man it's good to be back on the bike.
post #7 of 32 Old 05-31-2014, 04:13 AM
Honda919Rider #1

It sucks when you realize what an idiot you are.

Happens to me less now than it used too, but still, it happens.

Keeps us humble

post #8 of 32 Old 07-08-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

UPDATE:

Well before I get myself arrested for assaulting my therapist, I thought it wise to go ahead and get a MRI. Results are in, I don't have a torn ligament - I have 3. I see the surgeon on the 21st.

Once again, if you find yourself in the middle of a tip over - hit the kill switch and drop the damn bike.
post #9 of 32 Old 07-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
I see the surgeon on the 21st.
Best wishes, Ken.

post #10 of 32 Old 07-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
UPDATE:

Well before I get myself arrested for assaulting my therapist, I thought it wise to go ahead and get a MRI. Results are in, I don't have a torn ligament - I have 3. I see the surgeon on the 21st.

Once again, if you find yourself in the middle of a tip over - hit the kill switch and drop the damn bike.
Dang! Hang in there.

post #11 of 32 Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Check out my latest gear purchase from Revzilla.

Four weeks ago I was parking the bike on the sidewalk beside the shop and not paying attention. I didn't realize until it was too late the rear tire was on the edge of the pavement and the bike began to tip to the right. Of course I tried to save it to no avail. My next thought was of that beautiful tank - "why didn't I get around to building those crash bars?" - and with the bike still in gear and my hand on the clutch I decided to let her down easy knowing she would lunge if I let go. So I slowly followed my baby down until I was sure the rear tire was off and then released the clutch. For some reason the motor bounced off the rev limiter 3 times before the level sensor shut it down. No harm no foul. Not a scratch. I looked around to make sure nobody saw me. This is not my first tip over rodeo and I knew to take a breath before snatching the bike back to its upright position. I went inside and returned 10 minutes later and set her back on the tires. No problemo, right? WRONG! About 20 minutes later my left shoulder informed me that I screwed up. I spent the next couple of days in denial and several more trying in futility to keep it immobilized. Then I googled rotator cuff. Ice, anti-inflammatories and range of motion exercises. My exam this morning revealed I most likely will not need surgery. I proceeded right into therapy. Now I can put the bike together, routine 43k stuff - tires, chain & sprockets, rear pads & rotor, oil & filter - and get back in the picture game.

man, this sucks I definitely feel for you. My step dad did the same thing while pushing his HD up a ramp. Tried to save it and tore his shoulder all up and needed surgery. Hard not to try and stop it though.

Good luck with the surgery, I'm sure it will all work out and you'll be back on the bike in no time

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #12 of 32 Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Hope you have a smooth surgery and quick recovery Ken.

Side note: can't you just drop the bike and let the bank angle sensor shut it off?

post #13 of 32 Old 07-08-2014, 05:50 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Speedy recovery Ken!

post #14 of 32 Old 07-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post

Side note: can't you just drop the bike and let the bank angle sensor shut it off?
Heal up fast. The tip over/bank angle sensor doesn't always work. I put my bike down in a corner at about 30 mph once and had to run up to hit the kill switch. The throttle as pinned open and tire spinning. Somewhat scary situation.

Spoiler:

post #15 of 32 Old 07-08-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post

Thanks Mike but
Quote:
For some reason the motor bounced off the rev limiter 3 times before the level sensor shut it down.
the bike being in gear would surely have taken off and hit the brick wall likely taking me with it.
post #16 of 32 Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Heal up fast. The tip over/bank angle sensor doesn't always work. I put my bike down in a corner at about 30 mph once and had to run up to hit the kill switch. The throttle as pinned open and tire spinning. Somewhat scary situation.
Quote:
Thanks Mike but the bike being in gear would surely have taken off and hit the brick wall likely taking me with it.
Good to know. Sorry Ken, missed that little factoid in your original post.

post #17 of 32 Old 07-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Pierre-Marc

hope all goes well with your surgery Ken

post #18 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

I saw the surgeon on the 21st. He did not recommend surgical repair. The damage consists of a split bicep tendon, a tear in the upper capsular ligament and another one in the bottom of the inferior glenohumeral ligament. I'll spend 2 weeks working on range of motion on my own and then back for more PT. OUCH! Take care of those shoulders guys!
post #19 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 04:49 PM
The Cripple

Surgery would of been much worse! Glad you didn't have to have surgery.

post #20 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 05:12 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Good luck Ken!

post #21 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 PM
Discen

Looks like you got off light. Good thing because fall riding is right around the corner.

Dan

2005 Honda 919. (Hercules)
2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive (Iron Maiden)
post #22 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 07:05 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
UPDATE:

Tipovers suck. Getting injured trying to stop the tipover sucks more. Getting injured AND the bike still tipping over despite your best efforts suck the most.

post #23 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 PM
Discen

A speedy recovery Ken. That's why I sold my GW. Dropped a few times in deep sand in my driveway and pulled my hamstrings. Don't know why I tried to catch a 900 pound bike.

Dan

post #24 of 32 Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

I'm just now seeing this thread. Hate to hear about the injured shoulder. Hope you heal up fully and quickly. Keep us posted.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #25 of 32 Old 08-01-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Looks like you got off light. Good thing because fall riding is right around the corner.
Yeah, light enough I guess. I was planning to have another go at the BBG1500 this fall that will most certainly get pushed back to next spring. I still commute most days and have done a few 300 milers with minimal discomfort. PT (Physical Terrorism) beats PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) any day.
post #26 of 32 Old 08-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Discen

Quote:
Yeah, light enough I guess. I was planning to have another go at the BBG1500 this fall that will most certainly get pushed back to next spring. I still commute most days and have done a few 300 milers with minimal discomfort. PT (Physical Terrorism) beats PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) any day.
Sorry about that Ken. Posted my response before I read about your torn ligaments and bicep. That sucks and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Dan

post #27 of 32 Old 08-03-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

200 miles of moto therapy this morning - literally. Not only did it do my head a world of good to get out, the wind proved to be an excellent source of resistance against my outstretched arm with a fraction of the discomfort. I was able to reach higher than I have in weeks. More please.

Also, for the first time ever in the month of August, I wore my 3 season (winter) textile gear. It is more comfortable and less restrictive than my summer mesh suit. Low 70's in August? Go figure.
post #28 of 32 Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Discen

Good news Ken on your recovery and wow, Texas August weather hasn't been this cool in years. On the road with grandkids headed to Denver tomorrow to hand back the hooligans. Can't wait to get home and back in the saddle. Was hoping to bring bike up to Colorado for some riding up in Rocky Mtn. National Park. Didn't work out this time.

Dan

post #29 of 32 Old 08-04-2014, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Good news Ken on your recovery and wow, Texas August weather hasn't been this cool in years. On the road with grandkids headed to Denver tomorrow to hand back the hooligans. Can't wait to get home and back in the saddle. Was hoping to bring bike up to Colorado for some riding up in Rocky Mtn. National Park. Didn't work out this time.
I hear ya. We drove to Denver last month and I too had to promise not to bring my baby. But my buddy in Denver provided his 1987 R80 for me while he gave my better half and our German Shepherd a ride to the top of Mt Evans in his Ural sidecar rig. Priceless.

post #30 of 32 Old 08-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Discen

Quote:
I hear ya. We drove to Denver last month and I too had to promise not to bring my baby. But my buddy in Denver provided his 1987 R80 for me while he gave my better half and our German Shepherd a ride to the top of Mt Evans in his Ural sidecar rig. Priceless.

Oh wow Ken. Super cool. How was the Beemer? Just pulled into Aurora.

Dan

post #31 of 32 Old 08-04-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Oh wow Ken. Super cool. How was the Beemer? Just pulled into Aurora.
At first I was apprehensive that my shoulder might act up and cause me to dump my friend's vintage bike - but I held up alright. It was a thrill - like riding a piece of history. I had to quickly learn to shift more decisively and to remember to use the clutch for EVERY shift. I also had to finesse the throttle to keep her running on those switchbacks at 12,000+ feet. All of that was eclipsed by seeing my Julana and Valkyrie in the sidecar ahead of me as well as the smiles of the motorists as they passed. I was absolutely speechless.

If you spend enough time in Aurora, you might just see that bright red Ural going by.
Redleg's Rides: Two dogs, a sidecar and a ride to Mount Evans for one of the dogs.
post #32 of 32 Old 08-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Discen

Great story and pics Ken. What an exciting and memorable experience. How fortunate having friends with bikes around the country to visit and ride together. Several years ago visited a buddy in Seattle who had an extra Wing as we rode together through the northern Cascades for 500 miles. Nice having friends in high places like Colorado.

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode