Nearly creamed a Prius - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Nearly creamed a Prius

I was merging my truck onto a major road last night and didn't see anyone, but using my cycling instincts turned my head, slowed down and triple checked. Then I noticed a shadow of a prius HB exactly where I was merging WITHOUT ANY LIGHTS. His passenger must have been grateful my rider's clairvoyance avoided crushing her. I tried to get the clueless newbie driver with thick glasses attention for several blocks, but he never turned his lights on. The experience makes me not want to ride at night.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I think a motorcycle would total a Prius if it side swiped it.. a truck would flatten it. They looks so tin foilee.

Yeah, driving at night isn't the best, driving at night when you forgot your clear visor earlier in the day is even worse.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #3 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

No offense to anyone that drives a Prius, but I think they are some of the worst drivers on the road. I don't know what it is but I have had more problems with Prius' out there.

And I actually kind of like the cars, too.

post #4 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Liberal drivers...

post #5 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Liberal drivers...

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #6 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

A clip from the best show EVER made in history, Curb Your Enthusiasm:

Larry David and his manager Jeff Green are driving in Larrys Prius:

Larry: *waves to another Prius driver in passing* Did you see that? He didn't wave back.

Jeff: So?

Larry: So? He was driving a Prius too, he should wave back.

Jeff: I don't wave at people that drive the same car as me.

Larry: Yeah, but we're Prius drivers. We're a special breed.

Slightly paraphrased.

If you don't know the show, he uses it to make fun of a lot of stuff and I'm sure he was just pointing out the mentality of Prius drivers.

"According to the Los Angeles Times, that's part of the problem. In a tongue-in-cheek editorial last September, the LA Times suggests, "While SUV drivers can be irritating behind the wheel, Prius owners can be irritating once they get out of the car.""

(See Southpark episode on the Prius)

I have nothing against the car at all. Or the drivers. I just find other people's observations hilarious.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #7 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

I'm very glad so many folks are driving Prius. Their growing accident injury statistics WILL motivate driver safety training and vehicle regulations to make the roads safer for motorcyclists! Next time you see a small car please wave your gratitude.

post #8 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

My close call last night, reminds me how many drivers are incompetent. Small cars like motorcycles, although very responsive in handling, do not accommodate mistakes without high risk of injury. The difference is most motorcycle drivers respect this risk and receive extra defensive training to drive attentively and are ATGATT. Cagers need much better training.

The US needs tiered licensing for both cages and bikes. Everyone start with lightweight small displacement vehicles and after proving their competence move up. Multiple tickets/accidents would again limit the driver to a prius or kawi-250R to reduce their danger to others.

post #9 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
My close call last night, reminds me how many drivers are incompetent.
I wonder if this blame can be laid flat on the driver. for Ex. the dash panel design of my Odyssey is such that it induces this problem if you don't use auto lights on\off. The reason, they foolishly designed the panel lights to be on all the time with only a small icon to indicate that your lights are on. Now in the old days you knew your lights were off when you looked at the panel and it's completely dark... I wonder if the Prius is designed the same, I know a lot of cars are this way with LCD panels, etc.

post #10 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakin919 View Post
I wonder if this blame can be laid flat on the driver...
It's more fun laying the blame on liberal Prius drivers.

post #11 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 11:42 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
I wonder if this blame can be laid flat on the driver. for Ex. the dash panel design of my Odyssey is such that it induces this problem if you don't use auto lights on\off. The reason, they foolishly designed the panel lights to be on all the time with only a small icon to indicate that your lights are on. Now in the old days you knew your lights were off when you looked at the panel and it's completely dark... I wonder if the Prius is designed the same, I know a lot of cars are this way with LCD panels, etc.
You have something there , my Silverado has the autolights but our Pilot and Civic do not or I have that feature turned off I don`t know ,sometimes I forget about the lights in those 2 cars , I drive mostly in the burbs or the city so its easy to forget about it.

post #12 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Good point, and very sad technology is [again] distracting drivers from being safe. After missing the dark one, I flashed HB and honked in attempt to alert them to their operator error but he never turned the lights on. Maybe they were too busy surveying their soiled underwear.

post #13 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I just make sure to turn my lights on manually every time I start the car no matter what.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #14 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Or you can just leave them on all the time if your car/truck has an auto off feature. The Tacoma shuts down all lights when the door is opened and key removed.

post #15 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
It's more fun laying the blame on liberal Prius drivers.
Ture

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Or you can just leave them on all the time if your car/truck has an auto off feature. The Tacoma shuts down all lights when the door is opened and key removed.
I would but the Odyssey's auto off (when manually using the lights) doesn't shut off for like an hour or something... and i worry that will take too much juice sicne it has to run all the little door motors, and multitude of lights, etc.

Most of the time i use the auto lights on\off feature however with all the rainy days around here i'm required to switch them on manually if i want lights cause they only come on when it's dark. which is another stupid oversite... lights should always be used in the rain why not desgin them to sense the rain as well. BMWs wipers have been doing this since the damn 80s. I digress.

post #16 of 21 Old 09-23-2007, 10:32 AM

My observations of Prius drivers is they tend to go exageratedly slow, probably watching their MPG gauge... "I'm getting 40 mpg doing 65!" Well, my 919 averages 43mpg, now get out of my way!

post #17 of 21 Old 09-23-2007, 10:40 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
My Pontiac Vibe (which is essentially a Toyota Matrix with Pontiac name plates on it) does that same crap. In fact, my wife just got a ticket for not having her lights on at night and speeding because of the confusion between the dash lights, the DRLs, and the "automatic headlights". It pisses me off so much. I'm gonna disable the automatic light control this week, I think. It's not that hard to do according to the Vibe forum I'm a part of.

post #18 of 21 Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 PM

prius is the new volvo

post #19 of 21 Old 10-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Priuses (Priuii?) Whatever

Commuting from Malibu to Long Beach, the largest (in more ways than one!) class of vehicle I see is humongous SUVs with one person in them talking on a cell phone and weaving slightly. However, the single most common car is the Prius. One odd thing about them is they all seem to max out at 74 MPH: the gas mileage probably takes a major dip past that, and not one of them will give me any room to get past them in the carpool lane. Actually, I had to carefully look at my speedo to know this -- generally I regulate my speed by the tach: 5200 RPM won't get you a ticket while 5500 will, and I find myself berating cars in the fast lane by saying "4500 is too damn slow! Move over!", then I give it a quick nudge past 6303 RPM (I leave it to you to figure the significance of this).

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #20 of 21 Old 10-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Glad your ok Dream !!

post #21 of 21 Old 10-13-2007, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8ghtjacket View Post
Glad your ok Dream !!
Thanks buddy! If I didn't ride a bike (with its defensive training) it would have been a bad accident.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode