My first Two-Up Experience! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 39 Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
My first Two-Up Experience!

A dear friend of mine asked many months ago if I would take her for a ride on the 919. I informed her that I had never had a passenger before but she seemed perfectly fine and easily convinced me to do it. Well, we set off on an adventure last Thursday! About 100 miles of riding and I have to say that 2-up riding isn't my cup of tea.

I went over to her apartment and she opened the door wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops and asked if I were ready to go. "I'm ready, but you aren't," I replied. She looked confused. "Go put on some pants and high-top shoes or hiking boots or something. I brought you a jacket, gloves, and helmet to wear." She perked up and said, "Good thinking, Matt." ATGATT!!!

So we set off on our journey. It was about 6 miles and seemingly 1,000 stoplights and intersections to get out of Little Rock. But once out of town on Highway 10 headed west, we found gentle curving roads, gorgeous scenery, and little farms sprinkled across the countryside.

The balancing act at stoplights becomes an art-form. She's about 110 pounds with gear on and I'm just so acquainted with the bike being light, flickable, and nimble. Braking took more concentration and effort to pull off smoothly.

I think the most nerve-racking part to two-up riding is being responsible for the well-being of someone else. It's dangerous enough for me to ride through town and not become part of a cager's bumper, but now it's up to me to deliver somebody else safely from Point A to Point B? Rachel put a lot of faith and trust in me to take her out for a pleasant time on the 919, which I managed to do, but it's so much more to think about with someone holding on to you like they are your backpack.

I'd like to hear some of your 2-up experiences! I'm not saying that I wouldn't do it again, but it's certainly preferable for me to find a girl who has her own bike

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Milites Gregarius

I know the feeling man, although luckily my girlfriend had ridden as a passenger with her dad a lot so she knew what to do and it made it easy for me. But one day i volunteered to take my cousin for a ride and she had never been on a motorcycle before and it was horrible turning sucked braking sucked and i know what you mean with the stop lights it's quite an art lol. Anyway it made me ask my girlfriend what she did to make it so easy to ride with her and she said that instead of holding on to me when braking she pushes against the tank of the bike, and when turning she holds on to me and goes with my lean and keeps from moving to much when at a stop. Some good tips to give your passenger next time.

post #3 of 39 Old 04-13-2014, 09:04 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslb81 View Post
I know the feeling man, although luckily my girlfriend had ridden as a passenger with her dad a lot so she knew what to do and it made it easy for me. But one day i volunteered to take my cousin for a ride and she had never been on a motorcycle before and it was horrible turning sucked braking sucked and i know what you mean with the stop lights it's quite an art lol. Anyway it made me ask my girlfriend what she did to make it so easy to ride with her and she said that instead of holding on to me when braking she pushes against the tank of the bike, and when turning she holds on to me and goes with my lean and keeps from moving to much when at a stop. Some good tips to give your passenger next time.
Yea, the biggest thing is telling your passenger to lean with you. It can make for a hairy ride when they're trying to sit straight while you and the bike lean

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)

post #4 of 39 Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

My wife is a great 2 up rider, in fact I can easily smoke most riders on backroads when riding 2 up with ease.

Someone who doesn't know how to ride on the back makes for a bad time. However get the right person and its a piece of cake. the 919 is a great 2 up bike since it has a banana seat, in fact, one of the reasons I bought the 919 was because of the banana seat for my wifes sake.

You should try riding 2 up on a super sport... Just getting on and off is a total bitch, on top of that, the passenger sits up a good bit higher causing them to push down on you.

Check out my passenger foot pegs.

post #5 of 39 Old 04-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 11

Riding 2-up with the same person gets easier over time as they get more experienced. When I started riding with my fiance on the back, I told her the two most important things were to hold on to me and to lean with the bike. At first there were a lot of helmet bumps when coming to a stop and times when she would lean against the bike. Now that she's a lot more comfortable as a passenger, she can anticipate where I'm going with the bike and will look over my shoulder to help initiate turns and know when to brace herself on stops / acceleration. We now even practice motogymkhana together 2-up (check my profile pic).

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #6 of 39 Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 PM
The Cripple

I've learned from various 2-up experiences that it always went better for me when I laid down some ground rules before the ride even started.

1. RELAX!
2. BREATHE
3. Don't think about leaning, just look in the general direction of where I'm wanting to turn.
4. RELAX!
5. Use your knees to help hold yourself in place.
6. Will ride around the block and then check comfort, if you are not comfortable let me know, no pressure!
7. Tap once if everything is ok, tap twice if its too fast or you want to stop
8. Have fun!

Going over this each time seemed to work really well and helped the person become calm and relaxed.

post #7 of 39 Old 04-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Dewbie

These have been my lessons learned from riding 2-up with my wife:

-Triboseat grip cover for the pillion section of the seat saved a lot of head bumps. Unfortunately after a year it's shredding apart.
-Using mostly the rear brakes for slow traffic maneuvers prevents her sliding into me. Rear brake is a little more effective than usual too because of the added weight in back. But I'm always ready with the front.
-We're both a little more (mentally) comfortable with the Givi box mounted, having something behind her. Also, the rack itself provided a place for her to hold onto just above the exhaust. She tends to be more comfortable sitting back and straight rather than wrapped around me (unless it's cold).
-While I'm used to riding 2-up now, it's lovely to get on the bike solo and see how much more nimble it can be.

post #8 of 39 Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Girl likes you, take her out for another ride.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 39 Old 04-13-2014, 11:01 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Pics or it didn't happen.
post #10 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
I've learned from various 2-up experiences that it always went better for me when I laid down some ground rules before the ride even started.

1. RELAX!
2. BREATHE
3. Don't think about leaning, just look in the general direction of where I'm wanting to turn.
4. RELAX!
5. Use your knees to help hold yourself in place.
6. Will ride around the block and then check comfort, if you are not comfortable let me know, no pressure!
7. Tap once if everything is ok, tap twice if its too fast or you want to stop
8. Have fun!

Going over this each time seemed to work really well and helped the person become calm and relaxed.
After all of that, you probably only have about half of the hour you paid for.

post #11 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 05:34 AM
Milites Gregarius

Just don't do this...

edited... previous link was bad...

post #12 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 05:53 AM
Milites Gregarius

post #13 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post
My thoughts too.
I've taken many passengers over the years. Friends, children, daughters, girlfriends and wife. The more they're on the bike, the more comfortable they become. If they've never been on a bike it's tough to tell them to lean with the bike. They scared. I just tell them to simply look over my shoulders. If we go left, look over my left shoulder, turning to the right, look over my right shoulder. The biggest thing is that they have to trust you. I always found my daughters and wife were my best passengers. There were a few times I scraped my pegs with my daughter on board. Just practice.

Spoiler:

post #14 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Tesserarius

I really enjoy two up riding. I enjoy riding, and I like to take people so they can see why. Not to mention having some cute chick wrapped around you.

Actually, having just ridden the niner a few times, my friend was down for her bday and we decided to go. At factory settings the bike felt better with her on it also! the breaking does take some getting used to. I also bought the bike with the two-up capability in mind after hearing how unbearable speed triples and monsters were due to the high passenger pegs.
Regarding stoplights, yea it's a bit awkward, just gotta be ready. Pvsters tips are really good.
When I had the Adventurer I was talking to a girl that had her hair dyed almost the same color as the orange coach lines. That was an awesome combo!
Another girl loved riding with me, I'd take her on some twisties and she'd be sitting back there taking videos. scrapped my centerstand once with her on.

Alternatively, I have a friend that refuses to ride two up. he has a long term gf and won't even take her (he says she has to take the msf course first, but i think he's just scared to do it). To me, that's a shame, because there is so much fun you can have together. to each their own though.

Regarding responsiblity. Yes, i do tell myself not to ride like a maniac and be extra cafeful. but I also feel that just as we are willing to take the risk, any one getting on that back seat needs to be just as willing and understand the risks.

post #15 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Doesn't matter if 2 up or solo. Riding within limits as with full gear all the time are good rules to live by.
post #16 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
Quote:
It happened, not sure why I'd make all this stuff up She's pretty cute, way too smart (she's going to Notre Dame for grad school!) She was actually my wing-man for a while, setting me up with her best friend in pharmacy school (that ordeal did not end well....)

She knew to lean with me, to relax, and have fun. We did bump helmets a time or two (no innuendo intended) since I was still getting reacquainted with the 919 clutch and gearbox after riding the Ninja so much (I'll admit there were some pretty harsh shifts, but at least I didn't stall the bike!)

I'm not ruling out 2-up riding in the future, but it will certainly take some getting used to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1756[1].jpg (236.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (31.9 KB, 80 views)

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #17 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

But but but she's white
post #18 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
After all of that, you probably only have about half of the hour you paid for.

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #19 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
But but but she's white
HA!
post #20 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
Quote:
But but but she's white
What were you hoping to see?

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #21 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Princeps Prior

On top of what everyone else has said,

Helmet communicators help and make it more enjoyable

Also Corbin seat with her backrest. If she leans back it takes a lot of pressure off your back. Very comfortable

post #22 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipinoaviator View Post
It happened, not sure why I'd make all this stuff up She's pretty cute, way too smart (she's going to Notre Dame for grad school!) She was actually my wing-man for a while, setting me up with her best friend in pharmacy school (that ordeal did not end well....)
7 / 10 with bonus points for wanting to ride with you and hooking you up.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #23 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
7 / 10 with bonus points for wanting to ride with you and hooking you up.
That's a fair evaluation lol. The best friend was in pharmacy school, 22, owned a gun and CCL, attractive, knew how to drive a standard, has a German Shepherd, and really liked my vette and 919. Little did I know she was divorced with a tramp stamp, and a bucket of crazy! She complained one morning that I was weird for making breakfast. I was hungry and she had bacon in the fridge!

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #24 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

If the fridge has bacon it must be cooked, I think it's gotta be a law some place

Dan
post #25 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

So now that your common friend is riding with you, is BSC ex going to be jealous and start texting and calling you to get back together?

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #26 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 03:24 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipinoaviator View Post
What were you hoping to see?
A flipping hot girl... Oh wait I got that backwards. A hot flip girl.
post #27 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Dewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
On top of what everyone else has said,

Helmet communicators help and make it more enjoyable

Also Corbin seat with her backrest. If she leans back it takes a lot of pressure off your back. Very comfortable
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the communicator. Dual Sena SMH-5 made the 2-up experience soooo much better.

post #28 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 03:42 PM
McTavish

My wife, girlfriend at the time, didn't really like her pegs getting folded up on the trusty old CB750.
But it was great fun !

post #29 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
Quote:
A flipping hot girl... Oh wait I got that backwards. A hot flip girl.
Hot Filipino girls are rare in Arkansas! I hooked up with a Vietnamese girl one time... That was the most fun I ever had without clothes on!

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #30 of 39 Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

You should have kept her around.

Only problem with Americanized pino women is that some are super hot, or more than likely they look like a really fat Latin American.

But the hot ones are worth eating balut with.
post #31 of 39 Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 AM
Tesserarius

Anyone have issues with passengers falling asleep?
That would freak me out.

I've had people tell me their girl always falls asleep on long trips.. Idk if it's possible with the position of the niner and that damn rear shock. but how the hell do they stay on?

post #32 of 39 Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Milites Gregarius

Wait till you get your first three up experience.... Nothing like it.

Wait, what were we talking about?

Oh yeah, motorcycles.

Never mind.

post #33 of 39 Old 04-18-2014, 08:01 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphLong View Post
Wait till you get your first three up experience.... Nothing like it.

Wait, what were we talking about?

Oh yeah, motorcycles.

Never mind.
Back in Vietnam...

oh never mind.
post #34 of 39 Old 07-13-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
Now that I have the Blackbird, riding two-up is no big deal! The bike doesn't seem to mind at all, braking doesn't take much more effort, and the motor never feels too stressed. There is still the added stress of someone trusting their life with your judgement and riding skills, but overall having a bike better capable of 2-up riding made all the difference in the world.

Passenger comfort definitely plays a part in the overall experience. I noticed, as others have pointed out before, someone that has ridden before and knows to lean accordingly, and overall comfortable with the situation, definitely has a smoother time (and I do too). My rule of thumb is if they aren't comfortable with giving me a long awkward hug, they aren't comfortable enough to ride on the back.

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #35 of 39 Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 PM
just send it.

Garage
Never had any problems riding 2 up with the wife...

Sent from my OnePlus One using Forum Fiend

[This space for rent]
post #36 of 39 Old 07-13-2015, 03:07 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

As a general rule I hate riding 2-up because most passengers always want to lean off into the turns and they always do it at the wrong time which upsets the chassis when it should be stabilizing. My wife is the worst with that shit!!! Because she rides/races too she has this innate and reflexive action as we dip into the turns that is hard for her to ignore. If she just sits still I can easily compensate for the added weight and change in the COG, but if she starts moving around I end up running wide or missing turn in points on every single turn.

On the positive side she knows when I tap her leg to grab hold of something because I am about to do something stupid and she never gets mad when I tote the front for extended periods or really throw it into a turn while praying to the god of gription that it sticks.

post #37 of 39 Old 07-13-2015, 03:45 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

I bet your Bird will be more fun 2up.

post #38 of 39 Old 07-13-2015, 04:55 PM
Princeps Prior

Lol. I used to tap my wife on the leg for the hold on message. I got helmet communicators for that now

post #39 of 39 Old 07-14-2015, 07:30 AM
Tesserarius

haha my tap on their leg is usually follow by a swift tap to my head

and yea, i don't really know what to tell them to do except just hold on and stay still.
I had someone sit up abruptly in a turn once and into the grass we went.
the additional breaking required always catches me out the first couple stops.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode