My First Off - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 10-16-2006, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Dang

My First Off

Went down for the first time on Saturday. I definitely got away pretty lucky, broken foot. I'm sure everyone out there is familiar with the Big Dig. I was in the Ted Williams tunnel, in traffic as usual, which is one of the main tunnels. Amazing how I go over the accident over and over in my head, trying to remember how it all happened and things I should have or could have done. Damn though, it happens fast. Final thought, I guess maybe I could have dodged left or right, but I was in the middle lane, maybe I would have been side swiped or something worse.

Any hunters out there? Ive missed some opportunities on some big bucks by misstepping in the woods and it seems like I thought about it all winter long, and sometimes until the next season. I know i will think about this for a long time, and make a point to recognize, and predict or anticipate other drivers actions.

So yeah, bike came down on my left foot and smashed it. Its not too too bad, only broke one bone on the inside of my foot. But boy, crutches are the worst.

Most importantly, , bike is not too messed up. Things that are banged up, front signals, bars, and exhaust eat shield. Best part of it, all things I wanted to upgrade this winter.

Anyway, livin and learnin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Poopsticks.

Glad the bike is ok. I mean... well yeah.

Feet are overrated anyways, ask dadogs.

Hope you're back up on your foot soon.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #3 of 16 Old 10-16-2006, 09:24 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sorry to hear that! Get caught up in a pileup?? Hope you heal fast!

post #4 of 16 Old 10-16-2006, 09:51 PM

Man, that is a real bummer. Having been down twice myself, I know exactly what you are going through (except for the broken foot part).
What kind of gear were you wearing? how did it hold up?

Don't worry about the bike, these things can take a hell of a beating.

Anyways, heal up quick.

post #5 of 16 Old 10-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Glad you're "okay", and it must be an omen to mod the bike since the stuff that got damaged is on the list anyway.

I don't know what the "big dig" is. With me it usually involves my hand, underwear and anal vortex.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 16 Old 10-17-2006, 05:54 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 

The big dig! I met a few guys when I was in San Diego from Boston that worked on that project. Too bad about your bike, I know the feeling all too well.

Hope you heal up quickly.

post #7 of 16 Old 10-17-2006, 06:18 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

What exactly happened????? Glad you're not worse off, heal up brother and get started on those Winter mods!

post #8 of 16 Old 10-17-2006, 07:25 AM

Awards Showcase
Law Enforcement 
Total Awards: 1

I am also curious what type of gear you were wearing and how it held up.........get better soon.

post #9 of 16 Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 AM

That sucks, did you get hit??? Let us know.

post #10 of 16 Old 10-17-2006, 08:08 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Heal up and knock on wood. Don't let the memory fog your senses when you get back out there. All that shiit is just waiting for us everytime we fire the bikes up. Hang in there and relax. Fixing the bike back up will be some good winter therapy.

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #11 of 16 Old 10-17-2006, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Dang

I was commuting. I bartend on the weekends, so I had on a pair of sneakers and khakis on the bottom, leather jacket and gloves.

So, as you enter the tunnel heading north it down slopes, and actually I believe it’s the steepest down slope grade of a tunnel in the US, random Big Dig fact. Anyway, I got about two car lengths in front of me; doing like 25-35, there is a good amount of merging at this point from the right hand side. I’m in the middle lane. I have always hated the middle lane, but I needed to get off at the next exit, so there I was. So as I enter the tunnel and we all start braking, the guy to my right sees the room in my lane because I’m leaving a little extra space. Bostonians are ridiculous. The worst sports fans and drivers. So this guy sees his lane, the right lane, slowing more quickly than mine due to an onramp coming in, looks to his right real quick and sees room for a car and just jumps into my lane and then jacks his brakes, because oh yeah, WE'RE IN TRAFFIC!!!! Anyway, my stopping distance went from 20 feet to 10 in a second. I jacked the brakes, realized I wasn’t going to stop. I think the front wheel may have even locked up at the last split second before the minor impact.

Anyway, I turned the front wheel to the right as I hit his rear right while at the same time trying to safely eject myself to the left and avoid being crumpled by the Ford Excursion next to me.

Bike smashed down on my left foot as I tumbled forward and left. Ended up planting my hands and doing one summersault and ending up on my butt looking back into traffic. Hopped up quickly and moved over to the side.

Thats it I guess. Give me some feedback though, anything I should have done better, or could have done differently. Maybe similar experiences. In a car, it would have been a little bumper bump, ya know. on two wheels, its a circus act.

post #12 of 16 Old 10-17-2006, 08:27 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Dang! Sorry to hear that man! Heal fast - heal well.

post #13 of 16 Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Wow! Glad you didn't get hammered by oncoming traffic!

post #14 of 16 Old 10-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Tirone

"the guy to my right sees the room in my lane because I’m leaving a little extra space. ... So this guy sees his lane, the right lane, slowing more quickly than mine due to an onramp coming in, looks to his right real quick and sees room for a car and just jumps into my lane and then jacks his brakes,"

If the guy was to *your* right, wouldn't he have to turn *left* to get into your lane?

post #15 of 16 Old 10-23-2006, 10:20 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Sorry to hear that man. Heal quick. Things that might have helped: bring your work shoes in a backpack. Wear your riding boot while you ride. That is what saved my foot in my accident. The asphalt almost tore through the leather on mine completely. Use the horn and your brights. When I am riding alone in the daytime my brights are always on (except when I am behind someone at a stoplight).

Have fun with those winter mods. Sounds like you got the perfect reason to get them.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #16 of 16 Old 11-11-2006, 07:36 PM
xmatt2strokex

I'm glad to hear that overall you're well. I know it doesn't help too much though...Take care of yourself, you'll heal up b/f you know it.

m.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode