My First Lowside - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 49 Old 08-28-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Rather be Riding.

My First Lowside

While traveling south from Cedar Rapids, IA to St. Louis I had my first low side. I had gotten off the highway to fill up on gas and grab lunch. As I was getting back on the on ramp all of the sudden I'm sliding on my right side. I was probably going about 25 MPH around a bend so I wasn't going to fast. After sliding to a stop I tried to figure out what caused the accident. Turns out they were repainting the road striping and I slipped on wet paint. There weren't signs anywhere or workers there to let you know the paint was wet.

Some people helped me lift the bike up and walk it to the side of the road. I was fine because of the gear I was wearing, full face helmet, riding jacket, kneepads. I was so glad I was wearing the knee pads. I bought the $25 kneepads on a whim to get my order over a certain amount for free shipping. I ended up sliding on my right knee and it went straight through my jeans. So I made sure I was fine then my attention shifted to my bike.

As far as damage to the bike goes, the initial fall broke the bar end off, dented the tank in 2 places, broke the brake lever and bent the right mirror. As the bike was sliding it ground the end of the handlebar down, cracked the plastic handgrip part of the trottle, the rubber grip and scratched the clutch cover. And because I had the pelican side cases on bike for my trip the right one was scratched up pretty good and the mounting bars were bend in such a way that I couldn't get it off until I was able to bend it back a few days later. One of the worst things is that when I rode over the paint it kicked thick white road striping paint all over the bike. The bike started up fine and got into gear just fine but I didn't have a front brake.

I decided to ride to the nearest Honda shop hoping they would have a lever that would work. I get there and they are closed all day on a Monday. I go across the street to Walmart, grab a pair of vice grips and go on my way. I cant find anyone anywhere around that has a brake lever so I call ahead to Atlanta where I planned to spend a few nights and have them order one for me.

Now for some pictures...

You can see in the next one that the bar end actually sheared off leaving part of it inside.

In this last one you can see white pain on the front tire, engine, radiator cover exhaust... and the scratched side case, dented tank.

I don't have any other more specific pictures because I left my bike in Florida due to Hurricane Irene. I'll get more into that when I type up my ride report, and I'll post more pictures when I'm reunited with my bike.

Atleast now I have an excuse to get a new jacket, boots, handlebars, grips, mirrors, etc...

So for all you guys out there, wear your gear. I am a firm believer in ATGATT. Had it not been for the $25 kneepads I probably would have been in the hospital having skin grafts put on my knee.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Glad you are ok!

Man, I'd be ALL for going after the city for that one. Unmarked fresh paint? What were they thinking?

They should cover all you expenses on your bike and any medical bills, etc. If they don't budge, call a lawyer. Open and shut case in my book.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 49 Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Immune

I commute a 6 mile trip from my house to work everyday. One day this summer they striped and didn't mark anything. And I took a left hand turn over the paint and almost lost it ( I was going slow, at 25 mph I would have been down for sure). Now the lines scare me wet or dry... I don't know if I'm crazy from the one event, but it always seem to me like the paint is slippery, even if it's dry.

post #4 of 49 Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Le So Cal Troll

ya them paint lines are slippery as shit even when perfectly dry on a dry day..... make them wet paint lines... f that.

looks like the tank isnt to bad at all.... lot better than my tank is from the previous owners tip over at a stop sign.... ur pelican case is what saved the bike.

REGARDLESS of the bike, glad you are 100% ok. the bike can be fixed

post #5 of 49 Old 08-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Aquilifer

Jeans and knee guards are sorta a bare minimum.

Imagine if you'd landing on your hip in jeans.

Your ankles are pretty exposed.

Basically I'm saying, upgrade your freaking gear bro.
The warning shot was fired.

post #6 of 49 Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Rather be Riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Glad you are ok!

Man, I'd be ALL for going after the city for that one. Unmarked fresh paint? What were they thinking?

They should cover all you expenses on your bike and any medical bills, etc. If they don't budge, call a lawyer. Open and shut case in my book.
This is my hope. Now that I'm home I'm going to try to get a hold of the correct person. It was a highway crew that was painting them so I may be looking at the Department of Transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
ya them paint lines are slippery as shit even when perfectly dry on a dry day..... make them wet paint lines... f that.

looks like the tank isnt to bad at all.... lot better than my tank is from the previous owners tip over at a stop sign.... ur pelican case is what saved the bike.

REGARDLESS of the bike, glad you are 100% ok. the bike can be fixed
I was pretty weary of them for the first few days after, getting nervous anytime I was near a line. I'm sure it will become a natural part of the way I ride to avoid all lines. I was really nervous about the paint on the tire and loosing traction on a right hand turn so I took it slow at first. Most of that wore off with time. I got it cleaned up a lot more when I was in Florida.

post #7 of 49 Old 08-28-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Rather be Riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
Jeans and knee guards are sorta a bare minimum.

Imagine if you'd landing on your hip in jeans.

Your ankles are pretty exposed.

Basically I'm saying, upgrade your freaking gear bro.
The warning shot was fired.
I agree. I have already been looking at real boots and riding pants.

post #8 of 49 Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Yep, paint lines are from the Devil...best to avoid them always! I like to make a game of weaving around crosswalk stripes in my lane when I'm going through intersections, which gives the additional benefit of some lateral motion to catch the eye of cagers who may not be paying attention. it's kinda like the old "step on a crack" thing, I just aim for the unpainted spots.

Glad you're ok, and it's great that you were wearing those kneepads! Take care, it's dangerous out there!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #9 of 49 Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Cornicen

Good to hear you're ok. There's better gear out there but at least you had something on, good for you.

post #10 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 04:40 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Glad to hear you're OK, as mentioned above, I agree, I'd look into going after the DOT for not posting for the wet paint.

post #11 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Man that really sucks. Glad you are Ok, the bike can be fixed.

post #12 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 11

Assuming you have collision insurance, make the claim through them. Let your insurance company worry about suing the city and the months of legal BS that will take.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #13 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 06:12 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

That kneepad saved a lot of skin. Glad things didn't turn out worse for you. Get some boots soon if you can. Exposed ankles and motorcycles don't mix.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #14 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 06:20 AM
Discen

Sucks to hear of a crash , glad you made it out ok , on the jeans and knee pads thing i was also wearing knee pads but my jeans were Draggin Jeans with kevlar sewn in them , you might consider them instead of regular jeans if you must have jeans , the knee pads are a good idea no matter what pants you are wearing , they really help take the shock of the impact and saves you some pain , personally never ever rode without knee pads under my jeans and i found these to be the most comfortable and protective pair
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...e-guard-10329/

post #15 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Former 919er

Glad you are ok. +1 on all of the above.

post #16 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 AM
MSF blacksheep

Let me know what parts you need. Ill send you what i can out of my pile o stock parts

post #17 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You lucked out big time! Knee pads=smart ATGATT=Very smart

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #18 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Glad you're ok. I avoid all paint stripes and manhole covers for this exact reason. Can't believe they didn't have something marking that, what BS!

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #19 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

...one more reminder that just my jacket/helmet/cheap gloves isn't enough.

Man, gear is expensive. But the alternative is much more so + pain!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #20 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 AM
duc duc GOOSE!

wow, glad you are ok, never considered knee pads. thinking of them now as I look at my khakis!!!

the worst are the thermo-plastic painting that they use now-adays...slippery in any condition.

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #21 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 10:03 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Glad to hear your not hurt! Yep go after the DOT. I hope you took pictures of the road so you can prove that there was no Signs marking wet paint. They might try to get you on that you can't prove it so they wont pay for anything. Draggin jeans are on my Christmas list. In the heat of summer my riding pants are just way to hot but I still want some pertection better than just jeans.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #22 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Glad to hear you are alright. I have an OEM brake lever if you want it for the cost of shipping. PM me your address and its yours.

Spoiler:

post #23 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Princeps Prior

thats SUCKSSS!!! I'm glad your ok. good luck with the insurance. They should take care of that. Your not at fault. The white paint all over everything is proof

post #24 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
...one more reminder that just my jacket/helmet/cheap gloves isn't enough.

Man, gear is expensive. But the alternative is much more so + pain!
There's always used gear. My Joe Rocket textile pants and my Technic boots are used. Better to have cheap, gently used gear than no gear.

post #25 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Glad you're ok, bud. Could always be worse. Thumbs up for wearing your gear.

post #26 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Wow! I'm glad the $25 knee pads did their job. Glad you are ok.

post #27 of 49 Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Pierre-Marc

Jumbo...glad to see you made it thru the crash relatively okay.
Like previously stated, bikes can be fixed, it was a good thing
you had the knee guards on. Post what parts you may need,
I have a collection of stock parts also.

post #28 of 49 Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Glad you're ok man and the bike looks to be easily fixable. Heck there's a $2800 bike for sale in the classifieds right now - just buy that bad boy. Talk about a great "parts bike."

post #29 of 49 Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Steve

I'm a real big believer in knee protection now. Don't leave home without it.
I do learn from my mistakes....

This happened back in 2009.Took me a year to get back to 100%

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knee.jpg (6.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg knee2.jpg (2.9 KB, 197 views)

post #30 of 49 Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Discen

That's one hell of a reminder

post #31 of 49 Old 08-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangster View Post
That's one hell of a reminder
Hangster, it's just a scratch compared to what you're going through. I certainly wish you the best in your recovery. Your's was proly the worst accident I've seen injury-wise where the rider lived.

But yeah I've posted the pic before but if it makes one rider rethink knee protection it's worth posting again. That shit hurts!

Steve

post #32 of 49 Old 08-30-2011, 01:27 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

I'm glad you are ok, but being as that is my favorite color of 919 it really makes me cringe to see one go down...

post #33 of 49 Old 08-30-2011, 03:50 PM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

That sucks man. I will suggest motovationusa's frame sliders. $80 that would have saved the majority of that damage. I know because I had a low slide in the fall of '09 at 45 mph. Most of the damage was to myself, but my bike only suffered a broken brake lever on the handle bars and a bent brake lever on the foot peg, and a scraped motovation slider. Nothing else. Come to think of it, those motovation sliders have saved me twice.

Glad you're alright, it's easier to fix a bike than yourself as my shoulder still hurts. haha

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
post #34 of 49 Old 08-30-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Rather be Riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
I'm glad you are ok, but being as that is my favorite color of 919 it really makes me cringe to see one go down...
I know, I really like the color as well. I didn't think I would when I bought it but it was cheap. It has grown on me a lot. I hope to replace the color to stock but we will see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStraub 919 View Post
That sucks man. I will suggest motovationusa's frame sliders. $80 that would have saved the majority of that damage. I know because I had a low slide in the fall of '09 at 45 mph. Most of the damage was to myself, but my bike only suffered a broken brake lever on the handle bars and a bent brake lever on the foot peg, and a scraped motovation slider. Nothing else. Come to think of it, those motovation sliders have saved me twice.

Glad you're alright, it's easier to fix a bike than yourself as my shoulder still hurts. haha
I had a set of GIVI crash bars that I was all set to put on before leaving on the trip. Unfortunately they didn't fit with the 900rr headers. I was going to get frame sliders but didn't have enough time to get them in time for my departure date.

post #35 of 49 Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Cornicen

Jumbo, Did you lowside leaving Cedar Rapids? If so I'm sorry, around here every time the roads have been painted recently its been marked or coned off. Glad to see you are ok

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #36 of 49 Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Princeps Prior

Hey if you need a lawer to sue, call this guy.

Attorney Daniel J. Larovere

he is my insurance agent/ lawer. Really good guy. He is currently sueing this kid that rear ended my brother and screwed up his back. He's located on main street in everett.

post #37 of 49 Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Cornicen

Funny how were willing to wear gloves, helmet n jackets but dont give 2nd thot to our knees and ankles. Spidi makes a great pair of knee pads designed to fit over your pants. Easy on, easy off.

post #38 of 49 Old 08-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboDent View Post
I agree. I have already been looking at real boots and riding pants.
yep hes right im only alive here today and just got back to walking because of my gear.

now i know not everybody can afford every thing so i say get the best stuff you can and then upgrade it as soon as you can to better stuff.

post #39 of 49 Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Rather be Riding.

I was stopped for gas down in Mt. Pleasant where 34 and 27 meet. I was heading east on 34 to continue south on 27. There weren't any signs on road. I know there usually are but this time there was nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover919 View Post
Jumbo, Did you lowside leaving Cedar Rapids? If so I'm sorry, around here every time the roads have been painted recently its been marked or coned off. Glad to see you are ok

post #40 of 49 Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 20

Keep the faith and carry on.
You survived and the bike still runs.
Just another war story for the campfire.

Ride safe and enjoy your tour.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode