My First Fall - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
PB

My First Fall

TL;DR - I'm fine. I have a scraped knee, gear did it's job, T-Rex frame mounted sliders did theirs. Motorcycle still works.

So, I was turning left at a traffic light with a left turn lane and a left turn arrow and I'm in a line of traffic. The through traffic light turns red, there's no one even at the light on the other side, the left turn light turns green and we start moving up. I'm going about 5-10 mph and the car in front of me just slammed on their brakes for no fucking reason. So I made the mistake of turning to avoid them and braking. I should've just run into their bumper. Instead I dumped it. They then started back up, turned, and drove away. The only thing I can form together as to why they stopped was that a car on the other side of the road approached the light in the through lane (RED LIGHT!) and stopped. So, maybe for some goddamn reason they thought they were going through, I don't know. So yeah, I've fallen haha. But the good news is I'm fine and the damage to the 919 is minimal, as you'll see below.

It was a lowspeed dump, so I know it's not the same as going down at highway speed, but the T-Rex sliders definitely did their job. I've already emailed them about getting a replacement puck. For reference, I put two long pucks on the frame and that was definitely the way to go. There is no damage to the tank or anything other than what I've photographed, so I think that's a win. The most unnerving part was when I saw liquid puddled up on the ground and was worried I had busted up the radiator or poked a hole in the tank. Thankfully, it was just gas running out of the vent in the tank.

I do need some help now with repairs. I'm not worried about the scrapes on the clutch lever, mirror, pegs, or exhaust. I'll probably just put a little black paint on the clutch, mirrors, and pegs, not a big deal. I know I can replace the side cover (anyone have an extra sitting around? ). Just to confirm, these are the correct parts:

11321-MCZ-D20 COVER, ALTERNATOR $67.42

11392-MV9-670 GASKET $9.30

As for the rear cowl, how do you guys recommend I fix it? I see that there are touch up pens out there and frankly, that'd probably be good enough. Anyone have one they've been happy with in the past? Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 12:50 PM
The Cripple

Glad you're ok. I can't chime in with the pens but it should work.

post #3 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 05:33 PM
GLG-20

Garage
I can't see the pics, but glad to hear the damage to both you and the bike is minimal. I was going to say something about Alabama drivers, but remembered that you are from Michigan (the 'Birmingham' next to your name threw me off).

A lot of people don't seem to take into account that when they do something unpredictable like that it might impact others around them.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R

post #4 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 PM
oops hurts

Garage
The rear cowl costs around 375 new I think.

post #5 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sorry to hear about the accident. The closest calls I have had were low speed when I looked away for a second and the car in front stopped unexpectedly. Good luck with fixing her up. I have used those paint pens on a car but never a bike. Should work Ok, but I cant see the pics either.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 06:46 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboom View Post
The rear cowl costs around 375 new I think.
Nope. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...MCZ-A30ZB.html

post #7 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 08:24 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Sorry to hear about this fall. It sure is easy to have happen. The important thing is that you were not hurt!!! Drivers around here seem real distracted with all the road construction. But the worst offenders IMO are the super-seniors that should be off the road. Some oldster just took out two cars in my daughters office building parking lot in downtown B-ham today. (No one hurt - it was a so lucky people weren't killed)
BTW the links that are in first post don't show pictures. I think you just did that wrong.
If it's just scratches on the cowl I'd just wait and watch for ads. Something may show up on e-bay or here that is a perfect match. If not you can get it repainted over the "off-season". I'm glad the sliders worked! (I've tested mine in a parking lot - LOL) You'd be really pissed off if the tank was dented!
If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

Mark

post #8 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 PM
oops hurts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Even better!

post #9 of 13 Old 05-20-2016, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
PB

Thanks guys. As I said, I'm glad I'm alright, just bummed the bike got some scrapes. The photos were from Google Photos. I'll work on something this weekend. On the positive side, this weekend is a big riding weekend with friends, so I'm happy everything is still working!

post #10 of 13 Old 05-21-2016, 05:25 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If I had the pretty red 919, I'd probably just replace what ever parts got scraped up. It happens to the best of us on an off day.

I'm glad you didn't get run over by some bimbo that was texting while putting on make up and drinking coffee.

RonAyers is where I get my parts.

Left turns are where most accidents occur. It's hard to avoid them, but I try.

post #11 of 13 Old 05-22-2016, 08:49 PM
oops hurts

Garage
Im curious why you were riding in traffic. Milk run? Cigarette run, riding to work? These are scenarios I avoid because I dont feel its worth it to get in run ins with cagers, and secondly I only ride in the country and mountains away from cars. "Everyday" cross town riding leads to distraction and over exposure to cagers IMHO. Glad you got off lightly in this case.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-22-2016, 09:07 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Im curious why you were riding in traffic. Milk run? Cigarette run, riding to work? These are scenarios I avoid because I dont feel its worth it to get in run ins with cagers, and secondly I only ride in the country and mountains away from cars. "Everyday" cross town riding leads to distraction and over exposure to cagers IMHO. Glad you got off lightly in this case.
Haven't had an issue in several years, knock on wood. And I commute in a large metro area. The key is being aware and proactive. Avoiding traffic does not reduce your risk or make you a better rider.

post #13 of 13 Old 05-23-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
PB

Quote:
I was riding to work but my commute is all of 2.2 miles. I was turning out from a subdivision of apartments on to a 4 lane road for my 1/4 mile of non-residential driving. I do avoid busy times and traffic in general, but this was a little more of a fluke than anything. I'm not trying to be defensive, just explain the scenario.

Learning from it and recognizing this for what it was has made it easier for me to just accept the damage and not beat myself up over it. On the plus side, the riding this weekend was amazing and I'm currently working on fitting the new LED headlight onto the stock ring, so I'll have updates when I get that all squared away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode