Motorcycle cops - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Motorcycle cops

I respect the job they do, and this is not a generalization in any way, shape or form. This is purely me venting.

Now that the disclaimer is out...geez, I Have come across a few who are a bit arrogant, in their demeanor sure, but also riding habits. Be it sneaking in last second thru intersections, or today, where I nearly brushed one.

Was in my car on a 3 lane road, 45 mph speed. I'm going maybe 45-50, not speeding per se. Came around a bend, and there was the cop who had pulled a car over. Lights flashing. Part of his bike was im the roadway, almost how troopers angle their cars. But his bike was in the actual lane a bit. Because i couldn't see him till i rounded the bend, i hit my brakes hard, tried to get into lane to my left but was blocked by a car...also had heat behind me so didn't want to get rear ended....

I slowed to about 25-30 and the cop pulls out on his bike anyways, so i had to ride the middle of lane and sneak by him. He of course then speeds up, and yells at me as he's beside me.

Being a rider I was frustrated cause I'm a very safe rider and driver, was caught in a situation where quite franky, don't think the cop should've pulled out, or he should have at least been aware of the blind curve. If i was in his position, I would def not have gone, in my car, or in my bike. I also know he pulled a guy over who probably shoud'nt have stopped where he did, but again, im sure there's a safer way to do this.

Okay vent over. Like i said, this is not a generalization. But it's also not the first time i've had a run in with a bike cop who I feel isn't "protecting" himself on 2 wheels even as careful as I would be in civilian clothes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Rich

Ok, so the guy doesn't have the same perception of 'unacceptable danger' that you do. Why worry about it? If you are correct, 'natural selection' will take care of the situation.

post #3 of 10 Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT View Post
Ok, so the guy doesn't have the same perception of 'unacceptable danger' that you do. Why worry about it? If you are correct, 'natural selection' will take care of the situation.
not worried, just annoyed. Could do with out getting yelled at by a motorcycle cop assuming i'm some careless driver.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Immune

We have a couple of local motorcycle cops and last summer I had on multiple occasions watched one ride in what I thought was an aggressive manner (essentially pulling out infront of traffic with little room to spare) I thought it was a bit excessive (one time he made a left through a constant stream of traffic and merged with with another constant stream, something only a bike would be quick enough to do) Wasnt but a month later someone T-boned him.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh919 View Post
I slowed to about 25-30 and the cop pulls out on his bike anyways, so i had to ride the middle of lane and sneak by him. He of course then speeds up, and yells at me as he's beside me.
I would have motioned for him to pull to the side of the road so I could ask him why he's upset with me when he's he's the one that pulled out in front of me. If he wanted to be a dick and pursue if further I would have told him to PLEASE write me a ticket as I would gladly take it in front of a judge.

Most of the time the bike cops around here ride very sensibly, but occasionally I'll see one making aggressive moves through traffic for no reason, and it irritates the hell out of me.

post #6 of 10 Old 05-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Hastatus Prior

Maybe it has something to do with all the riding training they get. They feel like they have the skills to ride like that and stay out of trouble.

...The fact that they are cops and can't get pulled over only makes it worse.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #7 of 10 Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
Maybe it has something to do with all the riding training they get. They feel like they have the skills to ride like that and stay out of trouble.

...The fact that they are cops and can't get pulled over only makes it worse.
i think that's it in a nutshell, at least for this particular officer. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to analyze the situation he was in, and I think he made the wrong move. Analyzing risk is step 1!

As soon as I saw him my first instinct was 'he might pull out, if he does you've got nowhere to go or your'e gonna get rear ended'. Luckily the guy to my left was aware enough to tap his brakes as well allowing me just enough room to squeeze over.

post #8 of 10 Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

A smart cop would have stayed behind them!

image-1056684560.jpg

:buell:
post #9 of 10 Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 AM
JJRZ350

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Ticket for: Hauling azz on a public road...

YAAWZZU!!!

post #10 of 10 Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Awesome! I could have been behind the whole way home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode