Left, right, or both? - Wrist Twisters
View Poll Results: Left, right, or both? (normally)
Left 32 47.76%
Right 11 16.42%
Both 24 35.82%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 48 Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Left, right, or both?

I've always wondered why some people on motorcycles only put their left foot down, it doesn't make sense to me why they'd do it, unless they were using their rear brake to keep from rolling away...I normally rock the right foot down, or sometimes both.

But maybe people have their reasons.

When you come to a stop, what do you do, and why? I'm curious to know the reasons, if any.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allnew.jpg (56.0 KB, 38 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I put one foot down as opposed to both because I have better footing. At 5'6" I'm on my toes if I put both feet down.

As for left or right; if it's a quick stop the left goes down and bike stays in gear with the clutch in. If the light just turned and someone has already stopped behind me, the right goes down with the bike in neutral and left foot on the the shifter. No can do the poll

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 48 Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I'll put my left foot out (I watch for gravel) but have my right one ready to swing out in case I lose my balance. I like to keep my right foot on the brake, just in case some knothead decides to come up fast behind me and I need to gun it to get out of the way (right foot on brake to counteract wheelie from said gunning).

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

post #4 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 12:30 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
I need to gun it to get out of the way (right foot on brake to counteract wheelie from said gunning).
HA! Like you have any chances of counteracting wheelies on the T

Depends on circumstance for me. If I'm using rear brake to hold bike in place so I can mess with something (phone, gloves, etc), left foot. Typically the foot goes down to the side that best balances the bike due to road surfaces. For example in the far right lane, right foot would likely go down due to the road being crowned and would give the best balance point.

If both feet goes down, both feet do not go up at the same time when I get underway. Its a total noob thing and cracks me up when other people do it. Especially on those heavy harleys and they've barely cracked 1 mph before the feet hit the floorboards.

If its a stop sign or a quick stop/turn with no traffic or potential hazards, usually no feet goes down. I like to practice balance.

post #5 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 AM
CB900

Usually it's the brake for me, but depends on the wind or the slope of the road.

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #6 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Discen

I'm a fairly new rider, and I've always been told its 'best practice' to put the left foot down so you can be in gear and cover the rear brake

with me being me, I tend to do the opposite

Just as aerodynamic airplanes are simple and streamlined, a motorcycle--which manages to balance an engine and a seat between two wheels--has a mechanical integrity, with intertwining pipes, chains and springs, that is fascinating to behold - Peter Plagens
post #7 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 03:28 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

98% of the time the left foot goes down, if any. I'm with pvster, I usually try to slow down far enough back from a stop light or a stopped car to creep up till the light turns green. Popo round thez parts call dat a California Roll, don't let 'em catch ya.

post #8 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Normally both feet, unless on a hill. Primarily just to stretch my legs. If on a hill, left foot so I can cover the rear brake.

post #9 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Normally both feet, unless on a hill. Primarily just to stretch my legs. If on a hill, left foot so I can cover the rear brake.
+1

post #10 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Aquilifer

One of the fellows I used to ride with in the mid 60's had a Ducati 250 scrambler, he stood all of 4'11"and couldn't really straddle it. As he came to a stop he'd pop the side stand out and sit there, light changes he yanks it straight get's it going and folds the stand. Wish I had pics.

Rich

post #11 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Totally not pertinent to the discussion, i just woke up and herd this loud crunch from outside my window, thought with dread, oh no! The bike!

ForumRunner_20121212_070150.jpg

ForumRunner_20121212_070210.jpg

Waaaat?

Edit: I just went to go talk to the lady driving the car to offer to push it to the side, but the bus driver yells in almost perfect southern drawl "Don't move it! The cops are comin, my supervisor's comin! Don't move it! Don't move it now!"

I felt bad for the lady, she's tottally strung out now either because she pulled away from a street parking spot and hit a giant green bus :/, or because her car wouldn't start afterwards, and shes been cranking the thing over nonstop since it hit...maybe trying to get away, shes practically bawling...maybe f'ed up on something i dunno.

DOUBLE EDIT: the whole situation is making tons of noise and today is my day off, and now i don't get my extra sleep in (prolly a good thing) so i go out and offer to move the car to get traffic flowing again, but it looks like somehow the lady managed to completely wedge the right front wheel under the bus! lol

post #12 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Well, I screwed up my own poll...I voted for left down, even though I generally use my right foot. I don't know why, somehow i just clicked left.

Would someone who hasn't voted, who would vote left foot down, vote right foot for me? and post it up right afterwards to not waste a additional vote?

I like the reasons up here for foot use, especially Googleits wheelieing management

Ya it pretty much varies situation to situation, so maybe what we do more often just reelects what sort of riding situations we're in. Out here in Lala land, riding a bike through non highway traffic is like being a series chaser. I catch up to a school of cars, get to the light, sit, then repeat the process.

My right foot down policy reflects how as i approach a stop, i small click the bike into neutral, sit and relax if possible with all hands off the brake(s) to relax a bit, since I'm splitting lanes, I'm usually clear from the rear. I do this partly because way back in the day when i was learning to drive, an old friend of my fathers told me, if your'e not shifting or getting ready to shift, don't use your clutch, it'll last longer that way. This way I'm ready to put it into first 2 seconds before light change and then i'm off.

post #13 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

When I'm riding solo its usually just the left foot keeping the right foot on the rear brake and eyes on the mirror. With Conor on the back its left foot down then if it looks like its going to be a long light the right foot hoes down because Conors 11 and he starts to fidget

Dan
post #14 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow919 View Post
98% of the time the left foot goes down, if any. I'm with pvster, I usually try to slow down far enough back from a stop light or a stopped car to creep up till the light turns green. Popo round thez parts call dat a California Roll, don't let 'em catch ya.
I'm from Los Angeles, and I can tell you that a California Roll normally is referred to as a "California stop," and makes reference more to how we like to approach stop signs slowly, slowing down just shy of stopping, and then vrooming off, or slowing down just a tad, ie; showing any potential popo behind us that "yes, i used my brake a bit, see?" and then running the stop sign all together

post #15 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
When I'm riding solo its usually just the left foot keeping the right foot on the rear brake and eyes on the mirror. With Conor on the back its left foot down then if it looks like its going to be a long light the right foot hoes down because Conors 11 and he starts to fidget

post #16 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytheii View Post

I'm from Los Angeles, and I can tell you that a California Roll normally is referred to as a "California stop," and makes reference more to how we like to approach stop signs slowly, slowing down just shy of stopping, and then vrooming off, or slowing down just a tad, ie; showing any potential popo behind us that "yes, i used my brake a bit, see?" and then running the stop sign all together
Yep, that's exactly what I'm talkin about. I guess the popo round these parts call it the roll cause, just like you said, you never really stop.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #17 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase

I personally like the Alaska and spicy tuna rolls better.

post #18 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
I personally like the Alaska and spicy tuna rolls better.
bam!

post #19 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Milites Gregarius

depends on what I'm on. 919 or ZZR, both. TMax, left first and then maybe right. I'm short and the seat is tall.

post #20 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 AM
i appear missing

Bike in gear, left foot down, right foot covering brake, eyes (and ears) scanning all possible scenerios.
That's how I was taught at the motorcycle safety course (and a few buddies) and I feel comfortable doing what I was taught.

if it's a long light, and I have a few buffer cars behind me, I'll pop into N and put both feet down. but only when I feel comfortable doing so.. which isn't very often seeing as how people tend to drive around here.

post #21 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Hastatus Prior

left foot down with the right on the rear brake, bike in gear until a car has come to a complete stop behind me. Then, if I know it's a long light, bike into neutral both feet down.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #22 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Not talking about a California roll/stop. I literally stop for 1-2 seconds without feet touching pavement and if everything's clear, I'll get going again. Just takes practice.

post #23 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

Not talking about a California roll/stop. I literally stop for 1-2 seconds without feet touching pavement and if everything's clear, I'll get going again. Just takes practice.
Yeah, I'll attempt to do that from time to time too. A lot of the time it turns into a slight roll thru though.

post #24 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
Bike in gear, left foot down, right foot covering brake, eyes (and ears) scanning all possible scenerios.
That's how I was taught at the motorcycle safety course (and a few buddies) and I feel comfortable doing what I was taught.

if it's a long light, and I have a few buffer cars behind me, I'll pop into N and put both feet down. but only when I feel comfortable doing so.. which isn't very often seeing as how people tend to drive around here.
Where is the riff filled land?

post #25 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

I know what you mean, i do this sometimes practicing balance, but a full 2 second stop no feet? VIDEO!

post #26 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
I know what you mean, i do this sometimes practicing balance, but a full 2 second stop no feet? VIDEO!
I do it all the time. Full stop for 1-2 seconds, then start moving again. The trick is to slightly drag the rear brake, no front brake (just near the very end, not while slowing down, of course).

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #27 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:

I do it all the time. Full stop for 1-2 seconds, then start moving again. The trick is to slightly drag the rear brake, no front brake (just near the very end, not while slowing down, of course).
Video.

post #28 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase

Quote:

All I do is come to a slow stop....then wobble my handle bars back a forth with my feet still on the pegs.

post #29 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Video.
here hi is

Oldest son on dirt bike with training wheels - YouTube

post #30 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

LOL ^^ at least he can ride on the grass without falling down!!!

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #31 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
Is this your kid? I don't use the word very often, but that's adorable.

post #32 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 08:51 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Use front brake all the time. Can turn the handlebars from left to right if needed to maintain balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
Wow Zaq, your kid is better at riding in the grass than you are

post #33 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Le So Cal Troll

it really depends, honestly i never really have taken the thought to notice, sometimes both sometimes left sometimes right, most times i flip flop back between the two.... sometimes none as i get bored at a stop light and see how long i can balance there for without touching the ground.

post #34 of 48 Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Dewbie

Most of the time I think I put my left foot down first because my right is on the brake, but then the right goes down too. So, both down, and I'll put it in neutral if it's going to be a little while and there's somebody already stopped behind me.

post #35 of 48 Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM
yzarc mi os

Quote:
Totally not pertinent to the discussion, i just woke up and herd this loud crunch from outside my window, thought with dread, oh no! The bike!

Attachment 23469

Attachment 23471

Waaaat?

Edit: I just went to go talk to the lady driving the car to offer to push it to the side, but the bus driver yells in almost perfect southern drawl "Don't move it! The cops are comin, my supervisor's comin! Don't move it! Don't move it now!"

I felt bad for the lady, she's tottally strung out now either because she pulled away from a street parking spot and hit a giant green bus :/, or because her car wouldn't start afterwards, and shes been cranking the thing over nonstop since it hit...maybe trying to get away, shes practically bawling...maybe f'ed up on something i dunno.

DOUBLE EDIT: the whole situation is making tons of noise and today is my day off, and now i don't get my extra sleep in (prolly a good thing) so i go out and offer to move the car to get traffic flowing again, but it looks like somehow the lady managed to completely wedge the right front wheel under the bus! lol
Probably wont start do to ford fuel cut off mechanism. Any good shock will set it of just have to push the button to reset.

I put the left down right on the brake always ready to move out of the way of danger with clutch in 1 st gear engaged and throttle hand ready. Saved my arse more than once.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #36 of 48 Old 12-14-2012, 03:53 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

Those are NOT my kids. Some random utube vid. My kids won't be getting any motorcycles from me, they are too dangerous.

post #37 of 48 Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Dragon Slayer

Left mostly.

post #38 of 48 Old 12-14-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Well, lots of good replies here, and some good reasons, thought processes behind them as well.

I rarely cover my rear brake, but perhaps i should do it more.

I always check my mirrors if I'm solo at the front of an intersection, always worried some nut job will ram into me, but after i achieve a good buffer i usually relax.

Thanks for participating!

post #39 of 48 Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I took my MST course with a county motorcycle deputy as my instructor. Pretty much ingrained it in our brain at the end of the second day of riding that LEFT foot goes down first. He said city and county cops look for that as local laws say you should be braking with BOTH the hand and foot brakes, so if you right foot went down first you weren't obeying the law and they can give you a ticket. So I'm a left footer or both.

It may or may not be true but I never looked it up and just took his word for it.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #40 of 48 Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
yzarc mi os

thats kind of a stupid law if it exist.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode