Lane-Splitting Update - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 03-07-2015, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Lane-Splitting Update

An interesting article:

Lane-Splitting Legislation Spreading in 2015 | BikeBandit.com

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-07-2015, 05:00 AM
Road Pilot

Garage
Thank you for this post... I feel like Santa Clause sharing this link with all my friends.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-07-2015, 05:41 AM
Milites Gregarius

Tennessee here... I've exchanged correspondence with a sympathetic state legislator on this issue as well as the pending helmet law. I've supplied him articles from Jalopnik, etc. and will be supplying the bikebandit article also.

If your state is on the list, take the time to do some research, find out who the bill sponsors are, who you legislators are and write them a brief email stating your position.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-07-2015, 05:44 AM
Princeps Prior

Glad to see this at least being considered. However, I feel that too many in charge don't see this correctly. IMO, most non-riders, see riders as pests and it doesn't help when we have some riders racing around and not respecting the laws.

The squids are creating a public opinion that reflects on all of us.

post #5 of 21 Old 03-07-2015, 06:46 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Glad to see this at least being considered. However, I feel that too many in charge don't see this correctly. IMO, most non-riders, see riders as pests and it doesn't help when we have some riders racing around and not respecting the laws.

The squids are creating a public opinion that reflects on all of us.
No where more accurate than NYC - the most anti-motorcycle city in the USA. Until perceptions change, the laws will stay the same.

The irony here is that the spread of hipsters and their love of classic motorcycles is helping to counter the overall negative views of motorcyclists.

See what I just did there?

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #6 of 21 Old 03-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Centurion

Garage
Why does it take Canada + us so much time to get these types of things right that the rest of the world has already sorted them out ages ago? Just money grabbing bastards :/ wouldn't be able to fine you if it was legal :P

post #7 of 21 Old 03-07-2015, 08:32 PM
The Cripple

Oregon and Washington are currently working on this. Very excited. Hopefully some states make headway so that it will start to trickle across to other states.

post #8 of 21 Old 03-08-2015, 12:19 AM
Princeps Prior

Not to be negative, but I have to say I'm surprised that this is even being looked at. As a classic car owner in California, we've been attacked several times. They almost passed a law that all classic cars must be updated to modern smog standards. They didn't even listen to the people that protested.

Small groups get steam rolled all the time. I hope this lane splitting passes, but I'll be surprised if it does.

post #9 of 21 Old 03-08-2015, 01:03 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
We've been trying to get it through the last two legislative sessions here in Texas. First time IIRC it ran out of time and died in the Senate, last time it died in the House because this stupid girl decided to go for a ride on the back of her boyfriend's single seat sportbike and managed to get herself killed. Her parents demanded that a special category of motorcycle be set up in Texas law called 'sportbikes' with all sorts of idiot restrictions on them - making them the vehicular equivalent of 'assault weapons'. The definition of 'sportbike' was so vague that everything from our 919s to Goldwings to Sportsters to XR650s qualified.

Yup, it was that stupid.

Basically that got canned after a protracted fight and the price appears to have been the lane splitting bill. Some of 'Malorie's Law' did survive, but it's mostly garbage - it adds the (already existing in other law) requirement that motorcycles carrying passengers must have footpegs and a handhold for the passenger, plus the operator will get a pamphlet in driver's ed about carrying passengers. https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB3838/id/849295

As one person on Reddit commented:
Quote:
... it's purely the family wanting to blame anything other than the fact that their daughter made a bad decision. None of these regulations that went into effect would have made a damn bit of difference. She made the choice to get on a bike with a 19 year old kid who out-rode his skill, and she paid the price.

It's a tragedy, but nothing in this law will change that fact or make a difference for anyone in the future that makes the same choice.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell right there. In any case, some of us in Dallas are working on making a video explaining why lane sharing is a good thing in terms that even the idiot tree hugger f**kwits who like to run off to Oklahoma when there's legislation they don't like will have to agree with.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #10 of 21 Old 03-08-2015, 06:31 AM
Tirone

I'm in favor of this law especially in NY or CT but I'm afraid it's not ever going to be passed. I'm guilty of lane splitting but only at 5-10 mph when traffic is practically at a stand still and not flying at high rates of speed like a lot of other bikers. Having said that, because of these speeding 'white lining' knuckleheads, I don't think that law will ever get passed.

post #11 of 21 Old 03-08-2015, 07:54 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Maybe...but I'm not doing it, seen too many YouTube videos of car doors opening or bikes being squished between cars...

:buell:
post #12 of 21 Old 03-08-2015, 08:20 AM
TEXAN

Quote:
In any case, some of us in Dallas are working on making a video explaining why lane sharing is a good thing in terms that even the idiot tree hugger f**kwits who like to run off to Oklahoma when there's legislation they don't like will have to agree with.
I thought they ran to Austin. There sure are a lot of f**kwit liberals there. It almost feels like (*gulp*) California.

post #13 of 21 Old 03-08-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

I am interested in following the discussion and the legislation that may ensue. I don't find it appropriate on a personal basis for use here in the Garden State. Too many diseased maniacs that would be willing to impede your progress on two wheels through any means necessary because they are dead stopped or at a crawl in traffic.

Best wishes to all who use this tactic to circumvent tie-ups.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #14 of 21 Old 03-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Road Pilot

Garage
post #15 of 21 Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Centurion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97 View Post
Maybe...but I'm not doing it, seen too many YouTube videos of car doors opening or bikes being squished between cars...
That's cause theres lack of education on the cager side. Go to paris and London... it's a dream to ride motorcycles there, granted you still have to be careful of course

post #16 of 21 Old 03-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF1VE View Post
I thought they ran to Austin. There sure are a lot of f**kwit liberals there. It almost feels like (*gulp*) California.
A lot of them live there, yes. But then they run for office as Democrats, sometimes get elected, and when they get bills they don't like, they run off to Oklahoma (or occasionally New Mexico) to try to block passage, like the spoiled little brats they are.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #17 of 21 Old 03-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Milites Gregarius

After reading this, I started thinking about the time my dad got rear ended by another car while he was on his bike, and all the times other cars pass me in my lane while I am stopped in traffic and almost got my feet rolled over. So, I typed out a nice little letter to email to the transportation committee for Louisiana's House of Representatives. I just got an email from the legislative assistant for the representative that I sent it to. The email is being forwarded.

post #18 of 21 Old 03-20-2015, 09:54 AM
Dragon Slayer

Legal MJ and lane splitting... what could go wrong?

2002 SuperHornet 919 - In a continuously variable state of modification.

1974 CB360- awaiting restoration money

Past Bikes:

1981 XL 80
1984? Nighthawk 650
1992? Zephyr 1100
1991? ZX-11
1999 ZRX 1100
1984 V45 Magna
2001 GSXR 750
1985 Shadow 1100
post #19 of 21 Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Milites Gregarius

The legislation to legalize lane splitting in Tennessee was pulled before it even made it up for vote with no explanation. Even the bill sponsors aren't talking...

post #20 of 21 Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Milites Gregarius

Just riding at all... What can go wrong?

post #21 of 21 Old 03-20-2015, 10:03 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by robroten View Post
The legislation to legalize lane splitting in Tennessee was pulled before it even made it up for vote with no explanation. Even the bill sponsors aren't talking...
Well I will see how far this will go. If it even makes it to the House floor for debate, I would be pretty impressed. It never hurts to ask. The thing is, the more these representatives know that a bill is supported by the people who elected them into office. The more likely it will have there support, but they don't always vote that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode