Keeping One Finger On the Clutch - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

So, I recently watched a video of a motorcycle running from the cops. Dude was squidding it up pretty bad except for a helmet. He didn't even have the bike registered, insured, or licensed. Something I did notice was that he kept his index finger on the clutch at all times. So I made a comment on this. Now, and of course because it is YouTube, I am being called stupid, I should fuck off, and I know nothing about riding. Some also say that it is for "Safety" in case of a hard stop. None of this make any sense to me. If it was for safety then you would think MSF, AMA, Roadcraft and other riding schools would teach you to do this. Also, professional riders would do it as well. Also, the gentlemen in the video still has to bring up the other three fingers to initiate the clutch pull thus negating the split second reaction of a one finger pull. Also, what clutch is so easy to pull you can do it with one finger? Not even hydraulic clutches are that easy. So, again what is the point of keeping a finger on the clutch and do any of you do it?

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2015, 07:47 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

It's used as an index mark for gear changes, kinda like setting up for a turn where you get your leg into position before you are actually tipping the bike in there are specific order of operations and this is just one more way of insuring consistency. It is not a mandatory skill, but more of a personal preference which can depend on the bike and the track and the shift points, especially down shifts around it etc, but as you can see it is not uncommon at all

Even in the paddock

post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2015, 09:19 AM
Road Pilot

Garage
I do two on the clutch and one on the brake subconsciously. Didn't realize I did this till I saw the photos.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2015, 12:25 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Cbr250r clutch = 1 finger operation.

I always cover the hand levers. In a hard brake situation the clutch is pulled in so I can focus on the rest of the bike. If the situation changes and I need power, muscle memory takes over and no worries about a stalled bike. My reasoning behind it stems from a previous incident where I stalled the bike while hard braking on the interstate due to an accident. I was fortunate the driver behind was able to avoid me as my bike lugged itself to a stop. Too much adrenaline flowing left me unable to deal with thumbing the starter.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #5 of 8 Old 11-27-2015, 02:41 PM
heaven is on the road

I also was taught to pop the clutch when it's a hard stop.. It'll quickly give you control of the situation and deescalate.

Ride like your music, HARDCORE!
post #6 of 8 Old 11-27-2015, 03:26 PM
The Cripple

Correct, endorsement classes teach to pull the clutch on hard stops.

post #7 of 8 Old 11-28-2015, 05:56 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I generally keep one or two fingers indexed on the brake and the clutch, especially in town where a quick reaction might be necessary. It's not something I really think about, it's pretty much muscle-memory. I've done this for a long time, I can remember before I started doing this when I got caught short a couple times.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-30-2015, 09:37 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I usually ride with at least index fingers on their respective levers. At the strip, I launch with one finger on the clutch (1000rr) and two for my 919.

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode