Insurance - Good idea - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 03-27-2009, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Insurance - Good idea

Question of the day is; Am I a douche for riding my motorcycle without health insurace if I have motorcycle insurance?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-27-2009, 06:00 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Do you have full coverage with PIP (Personal Injury Protection)?

I wouldn't. I believe that in KY, you are required to have health coverage to ride. Meaning...if I have liability on my bike, but no PIP, then I must carry health insurance.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-27-2009, 06:10 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Michigan is a No Fault State, I believe. So unless you have some form of medical coverage on yourself, either Regular Medical Insurance or via your Auto/Bike policy, you are taking a big risk.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Tirone

that question just shows how messed up our country is (usa). (i assume that) the only reason you have motorcycle insurance is

a) liability is probably required by your state... you can get cited by the police for not having it (and if your state is technically advanced the dmv will find out if you have no coverage and suspend your registration).
b) collision may be required if you have a loan on your bike - if you don't have the coverage the bank will buy it for you and charge you for it.

neither m/c insurance is necessary for your survival, but you are essentially forced to purchase them. there are consequences for not having the insurance that affect you in immediately, regardless of whether you have an accident or not. no such motivation exists to buy health insurance - there are no consequences for not having it _unless_ something happens that causes you to need it. so even though its more important to personal survival, it gets neglected by many healthy people.

you're not a douche for making a logical decision based on the situation as presented to you (but it is still a bad decision).

if the potential for financial ruin following an accident doesn't motivate you, try this: i picture myself helpless and unconscious while some emt's try to decide what to do with me... take me to the awesome private hospital where people get fixed, or the crappy county hospital where people die from neglect.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19207050/

one day you may want people who don't know you to expend every possible resource to save your life if/when you need it, and (given the cost) that really is a lot to ask if you haven't made any arrangements to pay for the service (imho).

...j919

post #5 of 6 Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Heres a little more info, I am currently between health insurance. My new policy should start on 4/1/09. My motorcycle insurance has 20k in personal injury protection. My girlfriend is incredibly pissed off that I took the bike out, shes not talking to me. It was the second nice day of the year, I missed the first to a bum battery. Am I still a douche?

How do I edit my OP for spelling?

post #6 of 6 Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Sound's to me like it's time for a new girlfriend.

Professional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode