Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Injured Green Hornet

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  04Hornet919 
#1 ·
... and it finally happened to me too - first crash - nothing serious though! :crash:

I am ok, but my Green :hornet) is not!

Me: a dirty pair of jeans, scratched elbow, light pain in my left shoulder and my left foot. The worst however - heavily bruised ego!

My Bike: Headlight broken, speedo & tacho are dead, housing cracked, headlight holding bracket bent, dislocated gas-tank, deep scratches in the paint, left side of the tail section cracked and scratched, bent exhaust brackets and more scratches... I will definitely request support from y'all folks to help me find a thing or two after assessing the damage in more detail.

Cause of all of this: entering a 100+ degree lef-hand curve at 15 mph and then forgetting to search for the exit of the curve... I looked straight, and there I went - straight into the ditch! Gravel covered by leaves on the side of the road did not help either!

Anyway, I am alone to blame in all of this. It was not a rookie mistake, but a beginner's one - should've known better!! The rider behind me could not believe his eyes! He said that I entered the curve just right and then I forgot to keep at it...

There's a funny side of the story: I wanted to keep the secret from my wife (that is not possible BTW) and I went and bought new jeans and cleaned up at a friend's house. I rode my bike to work where I usually keep it in a shop and left it there. When I came home I asked my wife if she loved me - immediately she answered with a question - What did you do this time?!?!:idunno:

Obviously she knows now, and for 45 minutes I had to listen to the :rant-rave:"this-is-why-you-should-have-listened-to-your-mother-and-never-got -that-thing-in-the-first-place" lecture followed by the "you-are-selling-that-damn-thing-and-you're-buying-an-SUV" lesson... :banghead: She still hugged me in the end and told she was glad that I'm OK.

I will take an MSF couse as soon spring comes around. Why did I have to wait for so long to realize this - I do not know. I thought that my 10 years on-and-off riding experience was enough, but it definitely was not the case today. It is not the years, but the miles that make a rider.

Safe riding out there fellow Wrist Twisters!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
awe man im sorry... the uranium green hornet is my fave color, and its rare!!!

glad to hear you are allright, the bike can be fixed, glad it was a slowish crash :)

I was the same way... rode dirt for 10 yrs before taking the msf course to get my moto licence (under 21 you have to take the msf... i was 18) and went into it with the idea of this is stupid i know it all... when they brought up the idea of counter steer i was like... umm W T F thats BACKWARDS IDIOTS... went home hopped on the dirbike... tried it... MIND BLOW... i took the class more seriously, taking stuff what i had learned on the dirt and using the stuff they taught and it all put together which has made riding very enjoyable :)

#4 ·
Glad you're ok, Hornet...This seems to be the season for crashing. BTW, target fixation can sneak up on anybody, if you don't stay vigilant.
Your bike doesn't look very injured in the first photo, do you have any others? I wish you all the best in getting it fixed back up!

I doubt the beginners course will do much for you, bur definitely check into the advanced rider's course.

Take it easy, Bro!

#5 ·
wow dude that sucks.... but the important thing is you're ok! and we'll help you get your bike patched up!

i have a speedo/tach/housing i'll sell to you on the cheap. it's missing the oem plug so all you'd need to do is cut the oem plug off of your current one and splice it into this one, piece of cake. pm me if ur interested. let us know what else you need.

#9 ·
So, I what's that make the tally for this year? 6-7 of us? Glad your ok.....so wish none of us had been included in this group.....

#11 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your moral support! At least I am not alone!

I will see over the weekend what the damage is, when I will be taking the front apart.

Now a little update: if I thought I was 99% OK and that I only had a "light pain" after kissing the ground, last night surely proved me the opposite... I probably got 2 hours of sleep until 6 AM when I was supposed to get ready to go to work. My foot was swallen, severe pain and my left shoulder and my neck were numb... I went to work at 10:30 and I kinda' forgot about it, until I was trying to get up from my chair that is. It is considerably better now - thank you makers of Advil!

It's now time for the PM version of the wonder-medicine!

Cheers to all and ride safe riding!

#12 ·
Update - parts needed

Hi Guys,

I finally had a spare afternoon to work on my bike a bit. I installed a set of D&D mufflers that I got from Impalaslayer and the bike's new sound is just right - not too loud at all...

I also took apart the front:
- I can throw away the headlight
- Bracket is heavily bent out of shape
- The housing and the cover of the Speedo-Tacho are craked and broken

Pvster said he might have a housing for me. I do not think that I will need the headlight braket since I am trying to install a different headlight: Acerbis Cyclops Headlight - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

If you guys know where I could score some smaller front turn signals with running lights that look better than the originals (something like on sportier bikes) that are plug and play with no diodes and other modifications necessary, please let me know.

Attachments

#13 ·
Pvster said he might have a housing for me. I do not think that I will need the headlight braket since I am trying to install a different headlight: Acerbis Cyclops Headlight - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

If you guys know where I could score some smaller front turn signals with running lights that look better than the originals (something like on sportier bikes) that are plug and play with no diodes and other modifications necessary, please let me know.
i do have a housing for you. sent you a pm. i'm not sure how the circuit board attaches to the plastic inner housing but it might be worthwhile to crack your old one open and see if you could transplant your gauge cluster internals to the replacement inner plastic housing if you want to retain your mileage.

the headlight option is interesting but the price concerns me a bit considering the headlight only "straps" onto the bike instead of being bolted down. either way, the price is right enough to try and check it out.

good luck with your repairs and let us know what route you decide to go. also lmk if you want the gauge cluster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.