Improperly tied down articles - Wrist Twisters
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Quadiak
  • 2 Post By LDH
  • 1 Post By crakerjac

post #1 of 11 Old 07-17-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

My boss had to tow in a crashed bike today. Luckily no one was injured, but it was the result of an improperly tied down backpack.

The backpack was tied down to a rear carrier in between 2 hard bags. It apparently came loose and ended up getting snagged by the back tire. The contents of the backpack were enough to wedge in between the tire and swingarm and cause the rear tire to lock up. Needless to say the rider went down at highway speed and damaged the bike pretty good.

There was also another rider behind him that couldn't manage to stop in time and also laid his bike down.

Just a word of warning, if you have to carry items with you make sure they are properly attached.

Ride safe ev1
mcromo44, Islandboy and Diablo like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-17-2018, 02:40 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadiak View Post
My boss had to tow in a crashed bike today. Luckily no one was injured, but it was the result of an improperly tied down backpack.

The backpack was tied down to a rear carrier in between 2 hard bags. It apparently came loose and ended up getting snagged by the back tire. The contents of the backpack were enough to wedge in between the tire and swingarm and cause the rear tire to lock up. Needless to say the rider went down at highway speed and damaged the bike pretty good.

There was also another rider behind him that couldn't manage to stop in time and also laid his bike down.

Just a word of warning, if you have to carry items with you make sure they are properly attached.

Ride safe ev1
That sure is a ruff and sad lesson to learn.
Worse yet, two riders were affected, not just the one who made the tie down error.
Sure is a stiff price to pay!

post #3 of 11 Old 07-17-2018, 11:04 PM
919 Rider

Scary stuff.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-18-2018, 04:58 AM
Tesserarius

Tie your stuff down.

The second guy going down, There's no excuse for that. That comes from following too close

post #5 of 11 Old 07-18-2018, 08:13 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
The second guy going down, There's no excuse for that. That comes from following too close
We don't know the particulars, and perhaps other factors were involved.
Regardless, let's hope that neither of them are permanently scarred by it all.

Also.
The mode of rear wheel lock up reminded me of my discomfort every time I see a pic or real life rat bike or bobber job where there is no rear fender and just a small solo seat.
I just imagine the damage of someone's butt accidentally finding itself off the seat and on the rear tire.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-18-2018, 09:14 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
The mode of rear wheel lock up reminded me of my discomfort every time I see a pic or real life rat bike or bobber job where there is no rear fender and just a small solo seat.
I just imagine the damage of someone's butt accidentally finding itself off the seat and on the rear tire.
I have that same thought when I see those. I wonder if and how often something like that has happened.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #7 of 11 Old 07-18-2018, 10:19 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I'm guilty of it myself. I munched a book bag up under the fender on my XJ650 Maxim-I back in college. I was lucky in that it only caused catastrophic damage to the bag rather than the bike or myself, but it was a lesson learned that day on properly securing luggage.

Another later life lesson is when I learned that turbulent air around a backpack can cause the zippers to work loose and all your shit to fly out somewhere between St Louis MO and Memphis TN...
Islandboy and Diablo like this.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-18-2018, 11:56 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I'm guilty of it myself. I munched a book bag up under the fender on my XJ650 Maxim-I back in college. I was lucky in that it only caused catastrophic damage to the bag rather than the bike or myself, but it was a lesson learned that day on properly securing luggage.

Another later life lesson is when I learned that turbulent air around a backpack can cause the zippers to work loose and all your shit to fly out somewhere between St Louis MO and Memphis TN...
My lesson was baggage too heavy, too high and too far back.
I got badly wind buffeted while blasting between two transport trucks at 80/85 mph and got a violent lock to lock tank slapper.
I still get a bad feeling remembering that incident in 1973 on my Norton Commando, still inside my first 500 miles of motorcycle riding.
Baggage can get you, in more ways than one!

post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2018, 12:24 PM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Islandboy likes this.

[This space for rent]
post #10 of 11 Old 07-18-2018, 12:35 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
and it wasn't the rear brake that locked up the wheel !

post #11 of 11 Old 07-18-2018, 12:51 PM
919 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Quote:
That's funny! Also the rear tire on that bike is stupid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode