Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Improperly tied down articles

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Islandboy 
#1 ·
My boss had to tow in a crashed bike today. Luckily no one was injured, but it was the result of an improperly tied down backpack.

The backpack was tied down to a rear carrier in between 2 hard bags. It apparently came loose and ended up getting snagged by the back tire. The contents of the backpack were enough to wedge in between the tire and swingarm and cause the rear tire to lock up. Needless to say the rider went down at highway speed and damaged the bike pretty good.

There was also another rider behind him that couldn't manage to stop in time and also laid his bike down.

Just a word of warning, if you have to carry items with you make sure they are properly attached.

Ride safe ev1

#5 ·
The second guy going down, There's no excuse for that. That comes from following too close
We don't know the particulars, and perhaps other factors were involved.
Regardless, let's hope that neither of them are permanently scarred by it all.

Also.
The mode of rear wheel lock up reminded me of my discomfort every time I see a pic or real life rat bike or bobber job where there is no rear fender and just a small solo seat.
I just imagine the damage of someone's butt accidentally finding itself off the seat and on the rear tire.

#7 ·
I'm guilty of it myself. I munched a book bag up under the fender on my XJ650 Maxim-I back in college. I was lucky in that it only caused catastrophic damage to the bag rather than the bike or myself, but it was a lesson learned that day on properly securing luggage.

Another later life lesson is when I learned that turbulent air around a backpack can cause the zippers to work loose and all your shit to fly out somewhere between St Louis MO and Memphis TN...

#8 · (Edited)
My lesson was baggage too heavy, too high and too far back.
I got badly wind buffeted while blasting between two transport trucks at 80/85 mph and got a violent lock to lock tank slapper.
I still get a bad feeling remembering that incident in 1973 on my Norton Commando, still inside my first 500 miles of motorcycle riding.
Baggage can get you, in more ways than one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.