:buell:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

That's crazy, and the pickup driver has no excuse for being that much of an asshole, but it's not exactly like the motorcyclists weren't being assholes themselves. At the end of the video he says 'we never crossed the double yellow', but that is exactly what started the whole thing by passing the pickup at high speed over a double yellow. Between that and hauling ass even around areas where there were cars parked along side the road, I'm finding it hard to pity the motorcyclists too much. They could have just as easily killed someone if they had been getting out of their car or crossing the street. I'm not some saint that hasn't crossed the line to pass a car or gone at breakneck speeds on country roads, but those bikers were not blameless and I'm pretty sure if the cops did watch that video, they would have found the bikers to share the blame.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #3 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Hastatus Prior

How do they share the blame? You're not Al lowed to kill someone for breaking a traffic law, wtf. This is ridiculous.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED

post #4 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Immune

The bikers were wrong for passing on a double yellow, and the driver was wrong for taking the law into his own hands and trying to punish the bikers

Erik
2005 Honda 919

I've got a lot of places to see! (on the bike) :-)
post #5 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Plus their jelly tastes like shit.

post #6 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Optio

The guy probably lives along that road and is fed up with bikes treating it like a race track. His intent most likely was to block the bike from passing and force him to slow down. He lost his shit when the bike got past.

post #7 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Someone will mention it so I will be the first. This was posted before. Truck driver is currently serving time in jail for the next 12yrs.

It doesn't matter if they crossed the double yellow or not, it is NOT a reason to try and kill someone. That road is suppose to be very popular with motorcyclist in KY so that driver should be use to seeing them.

Sent from my way better than Android iPhone4 using Tapatalk 2

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Immune

Hudson sentenced in road rage incident

So there is some justice left in this world, Thanks 07919Dave!

Erik
2005 Honda 919

I've got a lot of places to see! (on the bike) :-)
post #9 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

Yes justice served! I just could believe he kept chasing the bike, I think the biker was lucky he had the machine to out run the psycho, I don't think my Drz could have done it on that road, would really suck to pay with my life for one foolish move, kinda makes me nervous about passing cars knowing there might be another wacko like him out there just waiting for a chance to grease an unsuspecting biker

post #10 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Okay my bad it was only two years not 12

EDit: listen to the video sounds like the chase bike (The one Filming) needs to learn better throttle control.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #11 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
How do they share the blame? You're not Al lowed to kill someone for breaking a traffic law, wtf. This is ridiculous.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Didn't say they share _equal_ blame, I just think that a lot of bikers do retarded things on the road with little care who they're going to hurt, startle, annoy, or endanger then get livid when people do irresponsible/dangerous/life threatening things in response. I highly doubt that the driver of the truck had the intent to kill the bikers, but his actions could have, which is why he ended up in jail. The bikers actions could have just as easily killed someone not involved, but no one is talking about that.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #12 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Love the twistys

cmelnick, nobody is talking about what the bikes did because all they did was cross a double yellow line to pass a slow moving truck. There is nothing in that video that shows the motorcycles were endangering the public not even themselves. If the motorcycles were playing chicken with on coming traffic or intentionally aiming their bikes at pedestrians then we would be talking all about them. Nor were the motorcycle playing with the truck. The truck driver was the only one at fault in that video that attempted to use his truck as a weapon, not to mention speeding and crossing the double yellow line while trying to run down the first motorcycle. Now I have seen many videos with stupid motorcycle drivers but this was not one of them. Just a pickup driver with major road rage at motorcycles in general not even specifically those motorcycles. They just happened to be the ones he went after.

Of course anyone who goes high speed on their motorcycle runs a higher risk of getting hurt/killed on their motorcycle from crashing but to think at anytime because you might have pissed of another driver, that driver thinks its ok to try to run you down in their car/truck, that is never ok. If you see someone breaking a traffic law, call the police, end of story.

There are plenty of reckless drivers out there, car, truck or motorcycle. I have seen all types but I have never felt the need to try to run one off of the road because they pissed me off no matter what they did or what vehicle I was driving.

2007 Honda 919
post #13 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

If you think I'm saying that it was OK for the truck driver to do what he did, then you're not listening. He was an out of control douchebag who had no right to do what he did, and deserves the jail time he is now serving. But for you to say those riders were not being reckless is obtuse. Hard to tell exact speed from the video, but they had to be doing 75 to 95 an crossing the yellow, going around corners blind corners where there are houses and possibly people on the side of the road is reckless. Just because you have leathers on and luckily there didn't happen to be anyone in the road doesn't mean you can do whatever you want.

And yes, I'm an asshole that has driven too fast, passed over yellow, and driven in ways that could have put people in danger, and luckily, I never have. And it was stupid of me. I _have_ had cars drive dangerously and aggressively following me after I did something stupid, and it scared the crap out of me to think of the consequences of my dumb action. The difference is that I came out of it thinking: that dude was a maniac asshole, but if I hadn't done what I did, I never would have been in that situation to begin with.

I'm a huge proponent of personal responsibility and that video showed complete lack of responsibility on both sides. It just happened to be that the truck driver _actually_ threatened lives and the bikers luckily did not.

- Stephen Hawking
post #14 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

If the truck driver was pissed the first swerve was plenty enough to get his point across! Not that it was a good thing for that driver to do!

That being said: call me reackless, call me crazy, call me an asshole, but you won't be calling me DEAD! If some crazy bastard starts chasing me with a vehicle 10 times me size, I'm going to run for my [email protected] life

post #15 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 PM
The Cripple

Cmelnick, perhaps its possible that you miss the fact that both motorcycles are riding at a high rate of speed in an attempt to evade the pickup? Don't think I'd call that a joyride or reckless riding.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the short duration before the encounter with the pickup or after. If it's before, then take note of several things: the camera doesn't show the speed limit before passing the pickup, nor does it show the speedometer. Looking at the clip, I would say they weren't going any faster than 75-80 mph when counting the time it takes to pass an object from when it first appears in camera view. Another thing to consider is that a lot of the corners are big, wide sweepers with not much in the way to block the view so they are not blind corners. You can see over the top of the crops in the fields and look for cars in driveways. Also, while its true that they passed on a solid yellow, the oncoming lane was completely open and clear. There were no lives at risk in any way, shape, or form when the passing on double yellow took place. Keep in mind, I'm not excusing them from a moving violation. My point is that they did not put lives at risk as you claim. Lastly, if you look at how they took those corners, it appears they've at least been on that same road previously.

Cmelnick, please explain where they put lives at risk such as you claim? If its after passing the pickup truck, its justified. If its before they passed the pickup truck, I don't think your claim stands. However, remember, its much easier to play quarterback in the recliner. Ball's in your court.

post #16 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Someone will mention it so I will be the first. This was posted before. Truck driver is currently serving time in jail for the next 12yrs.

It doesn't matter if they crossed the double yellow or not, it is NOT a reason to try and kill someone. That road is suppose to be very popular with motorcyclist in KY so that driver should be use to seeing them.

Sent from my way better than Android iPhone4 using Tapatalk 2
Good to know he got what he deserved, I remember seeing this vid on here before but never heard what happened to the driver.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #17 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

More than likely this guy is just a hog riding sporty hater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QApbWJgn7GI&sns=em

post #18 of 26 Old 06-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Dead Wrong

Garage
Defending the truck drivers actions is just plain retarded.

Yes the double yellow is there for a reason but I m not going to be stuck in some semi's behind because of it.

post #19 of 26 Old 06-29-2012, 06:27 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

I have apparently not been explaining myself well or something, and if I pissed anyone off, didn't mean to. I don't really know how to explain myself further, cause each time I do I seem to get someone else flamed up, which is not my intent, so let me try one more time to get it right. Love all you guys on here...not trying to stir up any shit with any of these comments.

First and foremost, I have never been defending the truck driver. Period. If you thought I was, then I grossly wrote something wrong. I do not defend him, and I thought I was pretty clear that he deserved the jail time he got. Probably deserved a carbon-knuckled ass whupping too.

Second. The recklessness of the bikers. Anytime you go on a public uncontrolled road and speed, stunt, text, put makeup on, race, read the paper, whatever, you are being reckless and potentially endangering other people. The whole point of an uncontrolled road is you don't know if someone is broken down around a corner, changing a tire, getting their mail, or sunbathing in the middle of the road. That last one was a real story from somewhere, idiot got run over on a gravel road (and just to be double clear, if an idiot was sunbathing in the road and gets run over, it was not because the driver was reckless...I was being facetious). So, it doesn't really matter if the bikers were speeding before they crossed double yellow, after, during, whatever, the fact that they were starting their little ride by illegally passing someone kind of gives the impression that they were going to hot dog the rest of the road, so saying that they were only going fast because they were being chased isn't being honest. Have you ever seen someone pass illegally only to ride the speed limit? Let me be clear again, I do NOT think that their illegal action is anywhere near on the same scale as what the asshole trucker did. But just because there happened to NOT be anyone out checking their mail and getting clipped by a motorcyclist doesn't mean that they weren't doing anything dangerous. I could put a blindfold on and start pulling the trigger on a gun in random directions and not hit anyone, and call myself safe? And yes, that is a way over-exaggerated example...

I'm thinking that the reaction to my comments probably came from the "they share blame" comment. And that's still my opinion. Maybe it's like 98% trucker / 2% motorcyclist, I don't know. But I don't think that anyone could argue that IF the motorcyclists hadn't passed the truck, THEN they would not have been getting chased by a maniac asshole. Doesn't make his enormous and dangerous overreaction right (flipping them off was probably a more reasonable reaction), and that's not defending the driver. Now for another gross exaggerated example to try to make my point clear. Joe Meathead makes fun of Poindexter Peabody every day and finally Poindexter Peabody comes over while Joe is asleep in bed and torches his house. Obviously not justified. But had Joe Meathead not have done what he did, he wouldn't be torched in his bed. Joe is a victim, but no hero.

Anyway, I gotta run to work. Again, sorry if I'm pissing someone off or sounding like a self-righteous douchebag...it's not my intent. I may be a douchebag, but I'm certainly not self-righteous!! Anyway, have a good day all... ride safe, and please, gentlemen, put your makeup on before you get in the car, not when you're behind the wheel

- Stephen Hawking
post #20 of 26 Old 06-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Hastatus Prior

^^^ didn't piss me off, I can respect your opinion that they shared blame, I just don't agree with it.

I do agree that they were likely driving recklessly on that road, and passing on a double yellow was stupid and asshole-ish move, but the trucker had no right to do what he did. I also understand you're not saying he did have a right, and I know you aren't defending the truck driver.

My view is that yes, the moto riders were driving over the speed limit, and it was wrong to pass on the double yellow. Actually I'm not sure I would call it "wreckless" since it was obvious he could see nothing was coming. Stupid, yes, but not wreckless. Either way the truck carries all the blame in my opinion. At no time did the bikers put that truck drivers life in danger. You cannot even put 2% blame on the bikes for breaking a traffic law, the driver had no right to chase him down.

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #21 of 26 Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Aye, even though passing on double yellow is illegal, if you aren't a dick head most drivers will pull over to the side for you to pass.

This video, and the off duty Maryland statie video were the 2 biggest topics of discussion last year. The guy in this video was off the R6 forum.

post #22 of 26 Old 06-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Fair enough, and good discussion. I may have been a little too liberal in my usage of reckless... just pulled out the ol' dictionary, and it is definitely more extreme than I meant to convey. "Rash" or "irresponsible" would have been a better choice. Anyway, back to work, have a good one.

- Stephen Hawking
post #23 of 26 Old 06-29-2012, 11:56 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Hudson sentenced in road rage incident

The rider did NOT get a ticket. If you want to filter through it all, including posts from the riders involved, go Google WARNING KY 10 22 Riders.

In my opinion, the pass was clean. Sure it was over a double yellow, but you could see for 1/8th mile that it was clear.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #24 of 26 Old 06-29-2012, 02:37 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelnick View Post
Fair enough, and good discussion. I may have been a little too liberal in my usage of reckless... just pulled out the ol' dictionary, and it is definitely more extreme than I meant to convey. "Rash" or "irresponsible" would have been a better choice. Anyway, back to work, have a good one.
Exactly, cmelnick. Glad you realized issue was the meaning of the word you used as opposed to what you intended to mean.

post #25 of 26 Old 06-29-2012, 02:46 PM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

Too bad, Kentucky has some of the best back country motorcycling roads all over the state. This is scary though, but could happen anywhere.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
post #26 of 26 Old 06-29-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStraub 919
Too bad, Kentucky has some of the best back country motorcycling roads all over the state. This is scary though, but could happen anywhere.
True but I know where to hide in timbertown

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode