If ya gotta wreck, I recommend soft muddy grass - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

If ya gotta wreck, I recommend soft muddy grass

Yeah, I'm a dumbass. Seems I've typed those words here before.

We headed out for an urban adventure ride this morning, starting off I told Ginger I wanted to show her the cool speed bumps down by our local university's athletic fields where I can get air on the XR. The first pass went great, turned around and decided to get a bit more aggressive on the way back. First 2 were impressive, cranked it up a bit more for the 3rd and final speed bump. Got BIG air, but had hit it at a slight angle and landed in gravel near the edge of the pavement, decided I wasn't going to keep it upright so I went for the grass, thought I could scrub off speed there. Grass was wet, ground was soft, bike slid sideways and down I went, did an impressive tumble. Sat up covered in grass and mud, had felt my helmet hit the ground but everything seemed fine....well everything except for my left knee, which was hurting like hell.

I think I hyperextended my knee and then whacked it on the bike as well. Gin came to my rescue and helped me get the bike upright, only damage was a bent shifter and clutch lever. Took me a bit to get back on but I managed to ride the 1/2 mile home. Hobbled inside and got ice on my rapidly swelling knee, sat with it elevated for a bit as the pain mounted and after realizing I couldn't put any weight on it decided I'd better go to the ER. Doctor said x-rays didn't show any obvious bone damage, he thinks I probably sprained my MCL and bruised the inside of my knee. They put me in a full leg splint to immobilize my knee and said that if it's not feeling better after a couple of days to see my family Dr. and schedule an MRI to check for a torn ligament or damaged cartilage.

Sucks bad enough I messed up a nice day's ride in the first 10 minutes, but I was supposed to be driving to Pensacola tomorrow morning with my two brothers for a business/pleasure trip. Going to have to bail on that, can't imagine an 11 hour car ride right now. Feel lucky that I probably only sprained a knee, it could have been worse. Plus I did it while messing around and being stupid, all I can do is shrug sheepishly and laugh. Had on my jacket, gloves, boots and helmet but was just wearing jeans, probably wouldn't have messed up my knee and screwed up a trip if I would have just put on some damn armored riding pants!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Yeah, I'm a dumbass. Seems I've typed those words here before.
You've got to get someone to video record you at all times.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #3 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 02:21 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
You've got to get someone to video record you at all times.
+1000
Glad you are mostly ok though, guess you were acting your age again, LOL.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato

post #4 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

You still got BIG AIR, no one can take that away. Heal up quick and get back over there.

post #5 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
You still got BIG AIR, no one can take that away. Heal up quick and get back over there.
Exactly, lol! I'm not so mad about blowing the landing as I am for not having on appropriate gear for such a maneuver. I'm ordering more armor damnit!

post #6 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Steve

Hey Scott, That sucks man and welcome to the club. Glad it wasn't worse. We we just talking about knee protection recently and how we both wear full gear except for jeans. I wish we would have gotten serious about it a little sooner! Hang in there! That knee is gonna get worse before it gets better, mine did. Probably wouldn't hurt to go see the doc before too much time passes. I sure was glad you guys talked me into going, probably saved my leg. Pray they don't have to drain it though! Feel better and keep us posted!

Steve

post #7 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Thanks Steve, my knee certainly doesn't look as bad as yours, just hope it's sprained and not torn.

As with most things, beers helps. Headed to our favorite mexican restaurant near the hospital for lunch, a pitcher of Dos Equis Amber beats vicodin in my book any day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scott-Knee.jpg (106.7 KB, 98 views)

post #8 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 03:01 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Your brothers could get a conversion van for the trip. Lots of space to keep that leg up.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #9 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I think you'll be on the next episode of "Nitro Circus"

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #10 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 PM
4 whls good 2 whls better

That sucks, sbeau1960! Glad to hear you're more or less ok and are on the mend.

Quote:
probably wouldn't have messed up my knee and screwed up a trip if I would have just put on some damn armored riding pants!
(a) You're right about that.
(b) There's no kind of knee armor that would've helped with a hyperextension, is there?

Good on you for steering it into the soft grass. That presence of mind in an emergency is hard to come by.

post #11 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Get well soon and stop showing off in front of Gin. (Silly boys )

post #12 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Imaginifer

Geez, last week a beautiful trip to Northern Michigan and this week CRASH! Hopefully all heals fast. God speed.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #13 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 06:56 PM
"VonZipper"

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Bonehead! They are called speedBUMPS not speedJUMPS! Glad you are OK..jeeze you took a page from my book on that one. Jim

If you have a Ten Dollar Head, get a $10.00 Helmet.
post #14 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
Get well soon and stop showing off in front of Gin. (Silly boys )
Funny, I believe she said something similar!

post #15 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 07:40 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Funny, I believe she said something similar!
Keep showing off Scott.

The girls tell us to quit when we're listening because it makes them feel motherly, when in reality they love the showmanship because it reflects our attempts to win them over. It's the whole peacock feather thing.

Oh, and congrats on not killing yourself. Good luck with the recovery.

post #16 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....

What's with the injuries lately???

It seems this forum is plagued with some very unfortunate incidents.

Get better soon Scott and Steve. You have my attention...

post #17 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 08:38 PM
That's Right!!!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Scott, keep it together man......I enjoyed your company way too much for you to go and f**k it up

Glad you are mainly just hurt in the pride dept. bro. Hurry up and heal up for us

2003 Honda RC51
post #18 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 10:08 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Glad to hear it wasn't worse, mud and grass is definitely softer than asphalt, concrete, etc. Take it easy and heal up quick!

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #19 of 105 Old 09-12-2009, 10:51 PM

Gravity attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border View Post
What's with the injuries lately???

It seems this forum is plagued with some very unfortunate incidents.

Get better soon Scott and Steve. You have my attention...
The big cheeze in the sky must have turned up the wick on the gravity machine?!

Also, they should start putting stickers on the tanks of bikes that says something like..."If you are going to wear denim jeans leave your helmet at home as well."

post #20 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 02:42 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Congratulations on not killing yourself.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #21 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

I'd noticed a rash of wrecks posted lately and commented to Ginger about it a couple days ago. Happened earlier in the year too, there were several accidents in a short period of time.

My crash hardly belongs with all you guys who had a car pull out in front of you or slipped in a corner, mine was entirely my fault because I was acting like a teenager on a big dirt bike. Overestimated my current experience and skill level, been a lot of years since I've bashed around off road.

Tough sleeping with my leg in a full length splint, haven't taken it off to look at my knee yet today. Can tell it's really sore even with very limited flexing inside the splint, don't have any experience with knee injuries so I'm not sure how it should feel.

Gotta figure out the right gear, my mesh street jacket worked fine but don't know if the pants would have helped much. My leather pants and jacket would have definitely helped but they're not really made for off road/dual sport riding. Guess I could buy some motocross stuff, clamp on a turtle shell and leg armor and be done with it. Probably will look for some adventure gear with knee protection that doesn't look like a MX racer though, any suggestions are welcome.

post #22 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Big air comes at a price and chicks dig scars. Sounds like you got off easy, glad to hear you're not banged up more than you are.
On the brighter side the XR's finally dirty, right?

Dan

Dan
post #23 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 08:34 AM
"VonZipper"

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Scott, I scheduled a Colt's home game for you today so you could sit and recover while watching the game. Don't forget the Nacho chip and Salsa therapy session I prescribed during the game either. It might make it easier to get the chips down if you have a beer or two handy. Take two or three and post here in the morning. Dr. Jim

We will dedicate tonights ride to your speedy recovery....now what color ribbon to wear.........?

If you have a Ten Dollar Head, get a $10.00 Helmet.
post #24 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Glad you survived the grass tumble, sorry you got hurt. Am very surprised you attempted tricks without the best gear (CE padded leathers over jeans). Wearing the best gear would have given you confidence to jump off before getting tangled up. Get well soon!

post #25 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Lightbulb PEOPLE!!!! arg

what is it with people asking "can you get the front end up?"
yeah, but not for them, frickin' idiots
i swear, i wanna punch them in the nose when i hear that comment
I choose to keep my machine on the ground, thank you very much, leave the wheelies to the stunters, who in my opinion can have it, period. I enjoy riding, not healing from stupid tricks, sorry Scott, my opinion only.

Bill

post #26 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 09:19 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Well, it definitely could have been worse.
Hope that you heal quickly....

Now let's hear Gin's description of the accident...
post #27 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Big air comes at a price and chicks dig scars. Sounds like you got off easy, glad to hear you're not banged up more than you are.
On the brighter side the XR's finally dirty, right?

Dan

Yeah, it's dirty. Few chunks of mud and grass stuck on the left side, shift lever still bent up against the case, peg angle slightly askew, mirror loose and clutch lever assembly twisted a bit around the bar. Mostly though it shrugged it off and was ready for more, made out better than its rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLee View Post
Scott, I scheduled a Colt's home game for you today so you could sit and recover while watching the game. Don't forget the Nacho chip and Salsa therapy session I prescribed during the game either. It might make it easier to get the chips down if you have a beer or two handy. Take two or three and post here in the morning. Dr. Jim

We will dedicate tonights ride to your speedy recovery....now what color ribbon to wear.........?
Yep, headed downstairs for the first time today shortly, going to get propped up on the couch with a beer in hand and cheer for the Colts in their season opener. Funny when downstairs seems so far away.

And a Honda Red ribbon of course!

post #28 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

sorry to hear about your knee Scott. Honestly I don't know which is worse, getting hurt doing something above your current skill level or getting hurt because your bike slipped out from under you unexpectedly. A couple months ago when I did my first supermoto race they sent me out for practice on my 250 dual sport in front of the "slower" 450 supermoto race bikes, my biggest concern of the day was I just didn't want to be in the way so I pushed way harder then I should have the first practice lap and as I approached the 30 or so foot table top jump I just went for it, landed about two feet short on my front wheel, bounced off the back side which got me way out of balance and ended up on the ground in the grass to the side of track. the bike and I were fine and I finished practice. I would expect to get hurt from something like that but instead I broke my wrist when the bike slid out unexpectedly while in 2nd gear not even going that fast. at least it sounds cooler when you tell people you got injured from jumping your motorcycle....

It's just a matter of chance and how you hit the ground. heal up quick and hopefully it's just sprained/bruised.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #29 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Take a good look at the engine case on that side, they're surprisingly thin right there, I dropped mine on the left the first week I had it and actually chacked the case.
Time for a Moose folding shift lever

Dan

Dan
post #30 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
what is it with people asking "can you get the front end up?"
yeah, but not for them, frickin' idiots
i swear, i wanna punch them in the nose when i hear that comment
I choose to keep my machine on the ground, thank you very much, leave the wheelies to the stunters, who in my opinion can have it, period. I enjoy riding, not healing from stupid tricks, sorry Scott, my opinion only.

Bill
Oh trust me, I agree and don't do stupid stuff on my street bikes, never even wheelie the 919 which does so easily. The XR begs to play though when given the opportunity, hard to resist lofting the front wheel occasionally in an off the street situation.

Maybe I need a more street oriented dual sport that doesn't tempt me so much. Funny though I was just drooling over a 2009 KTM 690 Enduro R that the local Honda dealer took in on trade. Like my XR on Austrian steroids, don't think that would solve the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Take a good look at the engine case on that side, they're surprisingly thin right there, I dropped mine on the left the first week I had it and actually chacked the case.
Time for a Moose folding shift lever

Dan
I'll check it out when I feel like hobbling to the garage. Going to have to pick up some crutches to get around.

Hmm, Moose folding shift lever you say??

post #31 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 10:39 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Like riding a buckin bull! Next time make sure you have a rodeo clown handy to distract th XR. You're lucky it didn't come after you post dismount

post #32 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 12:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

sorry to hear sir.. save the big air tricks for post ride celebrations.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #33 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Legalize it please?

Ya know... First you get me to wear an armored jacket, now you have me lookin for knee protection... what's next AARP? Heal up soon man!

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #34 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 PM
4 whls good 2 whls better

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike919 View Post
what's next AARP?
The dillweeds at AARP send you a membership card on your 50th birthday, whether you've asked for it or not. Makes denial that much harder.

post #35 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Legalize it please?

They've been sendin me one a year since my dad turned 50... He doesn't have a middle initial and they haven't figured out Michael F. is a different person!

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #36 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Glad you're relatively ok! Hope you heal up fast.

post #37 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I'm already going stir crazy, not a sit around the house kind of guy usually. Colts won a defensive battle, which I celebrated with a nap since last night wasn't exactly quality sleep.

Took off my leg splint earlier and tried to bend my knee, could only move it about 45 degrees and the pain made me feel sick to my stomach. Not real encouraged by that, expecially since I have a high pain tolerance. Didn't fill the vicodin prescription, don't have the stomach for painkillers I once did. Hopefully a full day of rest and staying off of it will bring some improvement tomorrow, if not I'll go see my regular Dr and get an MRI scheduled.

post #38 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Steve

Quote:
Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I'm already going stir crazy, not a sit around the house kind of guy usually. Colts won a defensive battle, which I celebrated with a nap since last night wasn't exactly quality sleep.

Took off my leg splint earlier and tried to bend my knee, could only move it about 45 degrees and the pain made me feel sick to my stomach. Not real encouraged by that, expecially since I have a high pain tolerance. Didn't fill the vicodin prescription, don't have the stomach for painkillers I once did. Hopefully a full day of rest and staying off of it will bring some improvement tomorrow, if not I'll go see my regular Dr and get an MRI scheduled.
I'm having dejaVu reading this Scott. Maybe you'll see some improvement in the morning. I didn't need the MRI and hopefully you won't either. I'm just now getting my knee to move past 45 degrees. Improvement is very slow. I got off the crutches today and went with a less restrictive brace but still limping around and in pain. Back to work tomorrow, going nuts around the house.You're tougher than me, I had to fill the vicodin. Hang in there!

Steve

post #39 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

You should list the vicodin prescription in the For Sale Section

post #40 of 105 Old 09-13-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
I'm having dejaVu reading this Scott. Maybe you'll see some improvement in the morning. I didn't need the MRI and hopefully you won't either. I'm just now getting my knee to move past 45 degrees. Improvement is very slow. I got off the crutches today and went with a less restrictive brace but still limping around and in pain. Back to work tomorrow, going nuts around the house.You're tougher than me, I had to fill the vicodin. Hang in there!

Steve
Thanks Steve. Gotta get some crutches tomorrow, will work better than hobbling around with a cane right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
You should list the vicodin prescription in the For Sale Section
I'm sure I have a few acquaintances that would take it off my hands! I spent several years in my 30's using painkillers for a bulging disc and sciatica, was tough getting weaned off them and not going there again. Alieve, ice and a few beers keep the pain manageable, haven't even brought out the whiskey yet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode