I got rear-ended today - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I got rear-ended today

I got rear-ended today. Both the bike and I are fine physically, but I can’t believe how disorienting it is. I was sitting at a red-light and some kid ran right into the back of me. I went straight forward a couple of feet, but stayed up. I must have grabbed the brake, though I don’t remember it. The only damage was a scrunched up license plate, I lost a side reflector AND, OH YEAH, I GOT HIT BY A F-ING CAR. Kid hit me hard to break a bracket on the air dam of his little VW and pop out one of the air scoops. He was pleading something about being on his way to see his girl in the hospital with their first child and I was telling him to just shut his f-ing mouth for 5 seconds while I sort this out because YOU JUST HIT ME WITH A F-ING CAR, MAN. The police must have been driving by because they showed up in about 30 seconds. One officer was kind enough to point out that I was pretty lucky since “Normally we’re cleaning you people up off the road.” Thanks, Officer Sensitivity. Hey, here’s a thought: why don’t I, oh I dunno, HIT YOU WITH A F-ING CAR and see if YOU think it’s funny. I had the cop confirm the license plate and identity of the kid and told them I was going to ride off.

A big reason I didn’t want to hang around and make a federal case out of this issue is that there was like this weird clock ticking telling me I needed to get right back on my bike and RIDE...NOW. I’ve only been riding since June, and those of you who have read any of my posts know that I am not exactly Joe-Go-For-It-I’ll-Ride-Anything-Testosterone-Factory. I do not yet ride with unshakable confidence. Today, it took many miles to stop shouting into my helmet, “WHAT THE F-? I JUST GOT HIT BY A F-ING CAR!”and to exorcise that wet, sudden sounding CHUNK! out of my mind’s ear. In retrospect, I suppose I would prefer never to ride incapacitated, so to speak, nor would I recommend it. My case may be a little different, however. I can be stubborn to the point of abject stupidity.

I can live with the fact that I will be sporting chicken strips for the near future. This is the price of admission when you commit to learning to do something that not many people do. But I will not give back even one-quarter inch of whatever progress I have made. Not one quarter inch. Period. So I called into work and then rode until the 919 and I felt right again. As I came off the highway around the exit ramp, relaxed into my line, and checked the status of the traffic that I would soon merge into, I felt right again. Mentally, anyway. Pretty stupid on every other level, in hindsight.

I work pretty hard at my traffic skills to PREVENT an accident. I don’t really have a Just-In-Case set plan should something happen. This was the only leverage my ego needed to get me stupidly back onto the road immediately. I did a check of the bike and it was pretty obvious the tire took the brunt of it and seemed fine. Probably dissipated all of the energy bouncing me forward. I must have decided that if there was anything drastic, I would detect it immediately while trying to ride away. I talked to Barton664 and he recommended bringing it by the shop to have it checked, but I was still in my own egocentric world at that point. In the aftermath, I should absolutely have taken him up on his offer immediately before going on a 50 mile MoronQuest.

On a final note, I check my mirrors as I pull up at red lights, just in case there is some last second weirdness behind me. But I stop checking my mirrors once all of traffic is settled in and waiting for green. I guess you can never relax.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Glad you're not hurt and the bike seems to be ok, deffinatly get it checked out though.
one eye on the mirrors the whole time your stopped, it'll save you alot of pain someday.

Dan

Dan
post #3 of 33 Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Glad you're not hurt and the bike seems to be ok, deffinatly get it checked out though.
one eye on the mirrors the whole time your stopped, it'll save you alot of pain someday.

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I will. Hopefully this post will help prevent someone else from making one or two of the mistakes I made today.

post #4 of 33 Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

OMG, I am glad you are ok. Wow, I can't believe you kept the bike upright! That saved a lot of damage to you and the bike right there. If I were you, I'd go get a powerball/lotto ticket tonight.

post #5 of 33 Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Attitude is Everything

Glad to hear your OK.

919Chef

post #6 of 33 Old 01-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

You are amazing to have kept it up through that! Very glad you are ok! Do you think having a brake modulator would have gotten the puke's attention?

post #7 of 33 Old 01-12-2009, 10:12 PM
MAM Customs

Glad both you and the bike are okay. After reading one too many posts like this on here, I always check my mirrors at a stop to almost near paranoid level. Especially at merge/exit ramp type stops.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
post #8 of 33 Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
You are amazing to have kept it up through that! Very glad you are ok! Do you think having a brake modulator would have gotten the puke's attention?

My guess is that a cell phone/text modulator is what is really needed. My own error aside, I bet the puke would have hit me even if I had a lit flare on the back of my bike.

I actually saw a guy moving along on a GSX sitting up, no helmet, texting with his left hand at about 40 mph.

post #9 of 33 Old 01-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Dude! WTF! Sorry to hear of this! Damn!
So,I guess you & Nemo are starting a "Hit by a F-ing Car club"
Great to hear all is well. Make sure you check the bike out real.... good.
Sudden, unsuspecting hits are harder than they seem.

On thing I always do at an intersection, even if I'm the only one there, is pull up on the line of the lanes. Or a tires width to one side.(So at least they know what lane I'm in) That way if some numb nut can't figure out his/her stopping distance, they will at least be next to me & not on top of me.

If you guys can't split lanes.
Pulling up behind some cars at night is dangerious, pull next to the last vehicle instead.
That way your tail light won't blend in with the cars, & it will lessen the possibility of another hit from behind.

post #10 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 04:59 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Sorry about the mishap Nesty and Kudos for keeping it upright and minimizing the damage. Glad you were able to get right with the bike again. Stoplights are one place I feel vulnerable and check my mirror like you, but also relax once traffic has stopped.

I like XRMikey's ideas

post #11 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

very glad you are ok

beware of nagging injuries

post #12 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Sorry to hear you got tagged. But glad you are OK. You may want to get a checkup from your doctor just to be safe, and to CYA in case you have physical problems in the future.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #13 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

glad you're ok.
I know it might still be a little raw to point this out but I will anyway.
Any accident you can ride away from is a good accident. Now I get it, the asshat driving the cage is a nimrod who was probably texting or talking or jimmy'ing his stick and could've done you some real bad harm, and in the adrenaline filled moments of life inventory the perspective becomes consuming as the fury becomes intense.

Now, in the afterglow of it all, I hope your mind is right once again. Just another thing riding a dirtbike has taught me. You crash, you check, all good, bike runs right, forget about it and get right back out there. Yeah, I crash a lot on dirtbikes.

Be safe, glad you weren't injured.

post #14 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Wow....what a rude wake up call! I'm extremely glad that you're ok though. As many precautions that we take there is always one more "what if" situation that can possibly arise sokeep your eyes and ears open at all times.

Side note: I agree with the others in that getting yourself and the bike checked out would be a good idea, you can stick the non-attentive moron and his insurance with the bill.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #15 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
I can live with the fact that I will be sporting chicken strips for the near future. This is the price of admission when you commit to learning to do something that not many people do. But I will not give back even one-quarter inch of whatever progress I have made. Not one quarter inch. Period. So I called into work and then rode until the 919 and I felt right again. As I came off the highway around the exit ramp, relaxed into my line, and checked the status of the traffic that I would soon merge into, I felt right again. Mentally, anyway. Pretty stupid on every other level, in hindsight.

On a final note, I check my mirrors as I pull up at red lights, just in case there is some last second weirdness behind me. But I stop checking my mirrors once all of traffic is settled in and waiting for green. I guess you can never relax.
Good form getting back on and riding. Far too often, people take circumstances like this the wrong way and stop riding altogether. Sorry to hear about the accident and I hope you receive some retribution from the kid. Hopefully he learned a lesson from your misfortune.

post #16 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

Glad your ok, it's good you got your mind right after. Yes get your bike checked and be sure your ok some jolts to the body take a day or so to show damage.

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it."
post #17 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

hey you should have done what i woulda done.... throw bike down... lay down... scream "my neck.... my back.... my neckandback..." then you could come buy a new one from me....

really glad you were able to call me and tell me about this... glad you are not hurt... glad your bike isnt hurt..(altho i do have a new 07 with your name on it)......... hopefully i will take a day this week and we can go for a ride...

take care jon...

post #18 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Glad you are Ok!!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #19 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Sorry to hear this. Like others have said "any accident you ride away from is a good accident." While stopped, keep a eye on the rear view mirror and if possible have a escape plan.

post #20 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

It is good to hear that you were not knocked on your arse or worse and that the bike is in riding condition. Definitely get yourself and the bike checked out. It would suck to have a slightly bent rim. Don't forget, he is paying the fix it bill.

Also good to hear that you kept riding until you felt right. IMHO that is the best thing you can do. I went down canyon carving at Palomar Mountain here in Cali. Nothing serious, but with the help of a great riding buddy here on WT (Mikey); picked the bike up and rode some more. Granted I wasn't trying to drag knee right off the bat again, but it took a couple of turns to get my line back then to atempt it again.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #21 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

All,

I genuinely appreciate all of the feedback. It really helps keep the process moving forward. You all are the best.

Dream: I am currently picking through threads on brake modulators. We've got pros and cons on this site. I see where people might find them annoying, but since I am an all the gear all the time guy, my guess is I will want to ensure I am doing everything possible to make myself visible.

post #22 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
All,

I genuinely appreciate all of the feedback. It really helps keep the process moving forward. You all are the best.

Dream: I am currently picking through threads on brake modulators. We've got pros and cons on this site. I see where people might find them annoying, but since I am an all the gear all the time guy, my guess is I will want to ensure I am doing everything possible to make myself visible.
maybe we can get a big neon sign made that says STOP and you can mount that on the back...

post #23 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
All,

My pleasure to throw my tip in the ether. First and foremost the blessing is you are ok! That is so amazing and we all must thank our lucky stars!

Anything that makes you more visible could wake up a catatonic cager.
IMHO the smart BLM's (variable changing rate) www.kisantech are the best since they slow the oscillation. At a light I recycle/rebrake mine. If cash is tight there is a thread to roll your own (although haven't heard anyone finish it with props). I may do that for my cage top window light. On the annoying side I do have tailgating cages passing me in the slow lanes during traffic and that's fine with me.

post #24 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Glad to hear you able to ride away and everything was ok for the most part. Sorry to hear this happened...it could've been a lot worse.

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #25 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 01:12 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Man, that could have been much worse, so glad it wasn't!

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #26 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Good job keeping it together, instinct must be ok. I like Mikeys idea of pulling up to the side of the car in front of you. I can just imagine how it would have gone if there had been a car in front of you, could have turned into lunch meat. I had an older lady pull out of a driveway in front of me today, and boy was she shocked when I pulled back in front of her after using the gutter to get away. You just never know out there, keep your eyes open!

post #27 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Wow, glad you're still good. Always keep an eye on the mirrors. The pulling beside the car is a great idea along with the brake modulator. The best thing you did (other than not get hurt) was to jump right back on ride. Glad things worked out as good as they did.

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #28 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Glad you're ok, Nesty!!!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #29 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
maybe we can get a big neon sign made that says STOP and you can mount that on the back...
I thought of this, but still didn't feel safe enough.

Until I get the BLMs, I currently stop at the light, dismount and place orange cones on the ground. When the light changes, I pack up the cones and proceed safely through the intersection. Because I have to dismount, I occasionally just stand next to the bike in the Karate Kid Ready position.

Somewhat of a tradeoff in safety as no less than 4 of my fellow commuters have met this process with this response:

Maybe I should dial it down a little...

thanks again to everyone,

Jon

post #30 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Because I have to dismount, I occasionally just stand next to the bike in the Karate Kid Ready position.

remember jon.... feignt with the hands then sweep the knee....

post #31 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Glad to hear you and the bike are alright

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #32 of 33 Old 01-13-2009, 08:32 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Glad you're OK. The wheel should be fine. I've been rear-ended by a full size van on the 919. I could've used an athletic cup. My voice is back to normal now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Sorry to hear this. Like others have said "any accident you ride away from is a good accident." While stopped, keep a eye on the rear view mirror and if possible have a escape plan.
+1 At a red light, I act like every car that rolls up behind me is about to hit me and have a plan of action, just in case.

And +1 on what Jet said about dirtbikes. Make sure there's no broken bones, get up, pick up bike, fix levers, make sure throttle is not sticking and BRAAAAAP....

post #33 of 33 Old 01-15-2009, 11:29 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Kudos all around to you, Nesty. No quarter given back then, but a leap forward. Ride on, man.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode