I crashed - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 56 Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Steve

I crashed

I dropped my 2006 919 today on the highway. Spent most of the day in the hospital. Knee has a severe abraison and shoulder is sore as hell but it could have been a lot worse. I'm happy to be here.

I'm very glad I had on my Veloce Legionnaire gloves that I had received in the mail only two days earlier. I had on full gear except for jeans. KBC-VR2 helmet, Joe Rocket mesh jacket with armor, Veloce Legionaires, Alpinestar boots and Levis. I had just got off work, tooling down the slab about 60mph in the far right lane about to exit when everyone in front of me hit their brakes,hard. I had nowhere to go, rush hour traffic, cars everywhere. I hit the brakes, the front end washed out, I kissed the concrete.The first thing to hit the ground was the side of my helmet, then my knuckles, then my knees. Then the tumbling begins. I don't know how many times I flipped but it was several. I was trying to stand up but just kept flipping. Finally I started sliding. My main goal (if I ever stopped sliding) was to get my butt off the highway before I became roadkill. I was up and running before I completely stopped sliding. It's a miracle I didn't get hit, cars were screeching all around me but I made it. I felt no pain until then. Several people stopped and offered help/called 911. I just sat there waiting on the ambulance. I knew my knee was jacked up but other than that I didn't feel too bad. My gear did it's job. It made all the difference.The only injury I received was to my knee which was unprotected. My excuse for not wearing my pants was because it's summer in texas and they're uncomfortable.They're not nearly as uncomfortable as my knee feels right now. Gotta call the insurance co tomorrow, and the pound.

I have no idea what shape the bike is in. I do remember seeing it slide past me as I was flipping down the road. I'll post pics of the gear later and the bike if I get it back. I know it was my fault. It was a combination of things that led to my crash. I will do a more detailed crash analysis once I'm feeling better. I know I was going a little too fast and grabbed a little too much front brake. There were several factors involved but that's the bottom line.

The things that stand out the most to me are:

1. Wear Your Gear, all of it.
2. It's amazing how violent a crash is.
3. It happens so fast you don't have time to do anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knee.jpg (3.3 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg knee2.jpg (2.9 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg knee3.jpg (2.8 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg knee4.jpg (2.9 KB, 287 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 PM
livelaughlove

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

so glad your here to post!

Hope
post #3 of 56 Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Tirone

Glad it wasn't worse, the knee looks bad enough as it is. Guess I need to get pants. Heal quick.
Frank

post #4 of 56 Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Immune

glad you're all right. Thanks for sharing the experience. It's good to be reminded of this every and then.

post #5 of 56 Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 PM
MAM Customs

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad you are not hurt worse. Hope you heal up soon and your bike isn't too bad.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
post #6 of 56 Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
I dropped my 2006 919 today on the highway. Spent most of the day in the hospital. Knee has a severe abraison and shoulder is sore as hell but it could have been a lot worse. I'm happy to be here.

I'm very glad I had on my Veloce Legionnaire gloves that I had received in the mail only two days earlier. I had on full gear except for jeans. KBC-VR2 helmet, Joe Rocket mesh jacket with armor, Veloce Legionaires, Alpinestar boots and Levis. I had just got off work, tooling down the slab about 60mph in the far right lane about to exit when everyone in front of me hit their brakes,hard. I had nowhere to go, rush hour traffic, cars everywhere. I hit the brakes, the front end washed out, I kissed the concrete.The first thing to hit the ground was the side of my helmet, then my knuckles, then my knees. Then the tumbling begins. I don't know how many times I flipped but it was several. I was trying to stand up but just kept flipping. Finally I started sliding. My main goal (if I ever stopped sliding) was to get my butt off the highway before I became roadkill. I was up and running before I completely stopped sliding. It's a miracle I didn't get hit, cars were screeching all around me but I made it. I felt no pain until then. Several people stopped and offered help/called 911. I just sat there waiting on the ambulance. I knew my knee was jacked up but other than that I didn't feel too bad. My gear did it's job. It made all the difference.The only injury I received was to my knee which was unprotected. My excuse for not wearing my pants was because it's summer in texas and they're uncomfortable.They're not nearly as uncomfortable as my knee feels right now. Gotta call the insurance co tomorrow, and the pound.

I have no idea what shape the bike is in. I do remember seeing it slide past me as I was flipping down the road. I'll post pics of the gear later and the bike if I get it back. I know it was my fault. It was a combination of things that led to my crash. I will do a more detailed crash analysis once I'm feeling better. I know I was going a little too fast and grabbed a little too much front brake. There were several factors involved but that's the bottom line.

The things that stand out the most to me are:

1. Wear Your Gear, all of it.
2. It's amazing how violent a crash is.
3. It happens so fast you don't have time to do anything.

Steve - I am so very sorry to hear what happened to you. I am very glad though that you are here to post and tell us about it. You had almost all the gear you needed... but don't blame yourself to harshly at this point - lessons learned.

In most accidents, the major impact points are the palms, wrist, elbows, hips and knees. This is why most protection is designed around these parts. You will always notice that the hardest armour is placed around these parts of the body.

That knee injury looks pretty severe - I hope you heal well and fast. Take your time with the healing process and sadly, the soreness will still come later. Next time, maybe look into safety pants readily available on the market. Most come with Knee protectors and hip padding - whether from Veloce or any other brand, they are worth having.

I hope the gloves served you well and protected your hands adequately. On a side note - in an accident, the best thing to do is allow your body to come to a stop or at least slow down significantly. Try to tuck your arms into your body to reduce flailing around. When you keep trying to stand up, you can actually worsen your fall as your limbs tend to act as pivot points for you to tumble. It is very counter intuitive and your mind probably tells you to stand up quick... but your body is still in motion and moving to fast with the mass to be stopped that quickly. Sometimes, you can extend your hand out and use your hand as a brake literally... but that is a daring move.

I am glad you were not hit additionally on the road and like we all said - WE ARE DAMNED HAPPY YOU ARE STILL HERE - pretty much in one piece.

Keep us posted.

post #7 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Glad you are here to tell the story. Hope the knee heals up quick and the bike isn't too bad. Thanks for the gear reminder.

post #8 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 04:56 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

WoW, good to know that it wasn't any worse. Them pics look sick (i think we need hi-res versions)

I'm still nervous from my accident and it wasn't nearly as bad as yours, so hang in there.

post #9 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Eesh, sorry to hear you went down, Steve. Sounds like you have the right attitude about it all which will serve you well in healing up and getting back on the road. I ride exactly like you do daily...I think it's time for some protective pants, that knee is gnarly.

post #10 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Legalize it please?

Ouch! Dude at least, with the exception of the the knee, your OK! Anything you can walk away from... Just a bad reminder to wear all your gear. I'm guilty too. I just resently started wearing my Joe Rocket mesh jacket again after goin back and forth with Sbeau about it... It sux that it takes some thing like this to really get the message across, but thanx for posting it!

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #11 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

you know with that big scar your gonna have on your knee it is gonna be difficult for you to wear short skirts in public again....

trying to brighten your day...

post #12 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Milites Gregarius

Heal up quicky. That's some scary shizzle, right there. I wear the Bohn Armor Adventure Pants under my jeans (when I do wear jeans) and they make a hot weather version, too.

post #13 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Very sorry to hear you crashed, glad you're here to tell about the experience in person.
Give that knee plenty of time to heal, it just looks nasty.
Rest up, heal, get better.

Dan

Dan
post #14 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 AM

Glad to hear you're (pretty much) ok, Boss!

I disagree with one statement said a few posts ago - I think you SHOULD judge yourself harshly, it's a great lesson learned.

Watch that speed in any type of traffic on the highway, and always leave plenty of room between yourself and the cage in front of you in case you've got to brake suddenly.

Good on you for wearing the noggin protection, I would be six feet under myself if I hadn't been wearing one during my crash in '08. Stupidly, I was like you and was wearing sweatpants that night, so my knee was also singing Ave Maria for a few weeks afterward.

Now, heal up, get that 9er fixed, and get back out there!

post #15 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Sorry for you accident, but very glad you didn't become road kill! Was there gravel/sand in the road, since I'm surprised your front wheel washed out. FYI I'd rather hit the back of car at 25MPH than highside, and I've dismounted both ways.

I had all gear less pants during a 60mph fall a long time ago on an unmarked gravel road, didn't lose a big chunk but my knee swelled up like a melon. Thus why I don't leave the house ATGATT, including leather pants.

post #16 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
I had all gear less pants during a 60mph fall a long time ago on an unmarked gravel road, didn't lose a big chunk but my knee swelled up like a melon. Thus why I don't leave the house ATGATT, including leather pants.
he just likes wearing leather pants.....

post #17 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Unbannable

Walk it off.

post #18 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 09:55 AM
4 whls good 2 whls better

Glad to hear you survived a crash like that! Ouch! Hope the knee heals up all right. Worry about the bike once you've got the inventory of busted/stressed body parts.

I swear by overpants. Very convenient to put on/take off, and they don't have to be boiling hot: FirstGear Mesh-Tex 2.0 Mesh Motorcycle Pants :: New Enough, LTD

New Enough's a good place to replace the helmet, too.

Isn't it great that your brain can turn off the pain centers during a spill?

post #19 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Glad you made it through this and are still here to talk about it. It's a reminder to go practice our panic stops.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #20 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Tirone

Glad you're OK, hope you recover from you injury's asap. Thanks for reminding us to always wear our gear. It's a proven fact it can protect one more than you can imagine.
Get well soon

post #21 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Steve

I had a buddy pick up the bike from the pound today.Cost me a hundred bucks to get it out. I was suprised there wasn't more damage. Good frame sliders are worth their weight in gold. The insurance adjuster is going to be here Friday morning. Here's a few pics of the bike. I found out I had $3,000 in accessory coverage that will also cover all my damaged gear.
Here's a few pics of the bke......

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fslider.JPG (72.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Lgrip.JPG (60.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Rightside.JPG (72.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg pipe rear.JPG (67.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Stator.JPG (59.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg tankrash.JPG (65.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg cowl.JPG (59.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg windshield.JPG (69.3 KB, 39 views)

post #22 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #23 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Attitude is Everything

Glad you're basically OK. That's what matters.

Chef

Do or Do Not... There is No Try.

2007 919...Delkevic Stubbies, Carbonfiber Hondaline Wind Screen, Integrated Blinker Mirrors, Brake Light Modulator, Headlight Modulator(soon)
post #24 of 56 Old 09-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
totalled...
Possibly, buy it back and make it better, faster stronger........ and even though it's hard, don't follow so close at highway speeds. Another .5 second gap mighta left you outa panic mode possibly.

Two wheelin for the feelin.
post #25 of 56 Old 09-04-2009, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
totalled...
Barton,Ya think so? I hope not but maybe then I could buy it back.
I don't know whether to hope it's totalled or not. I owe about $6k on it, financed through honda. I know the KBB is less than that but Progressive will cover all my extra goodies too so I might break even. To further complicate the issue I filed bankruptcy a few months back and could legally just walk away from the bike. (it's not like it's gonna hurt my credit lol..) but I would like to keep it and fix it up. Any bikes I purchase in the future would have to be made with cash since my credit will be hosed for a while. I'll see what the adjuster says today. Any input appreciated....

Steve

post #26 of 56 Old 09-04-2009, 10:05 AM

I don't think it's totaled at all. In fact, with the frame slider, it looks like your bike took less damage than mine did in a recent spill, and my bike is basically fine.

So far I've got a replacement tank from eBay (~$200), a new stator cover ($70 from Mason City Honda), and I'll either swap out the the exhaust for aftermarket or wait until a left-side heat shield come up on eBay (from someone who took a spill on the other side). Hopefully we won't fight over it!

Again, like my crash, your windshield took the damage that would otherwise have scarred up an expensive instrument cluster. Windshields aren't that expensive.

My undertail looks just about exactly like yours, and it looks like you took some real damage to the handlebars after the bar end came off. You can probably re-assemble the directionals with a screwdriver - not pretty, but good enough.

But I don't see anything in those pics that would prevent the bike from being driven. The stator cover isn't damaged nearly enough to be leaking oil, you don't show any damage to the radiator. Just a bunch of scrapes, and nothing big is bent. Definitely give it the once-over first, but my guess is it'll start right up.

post #27 of 56 Old 09-04-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Steve

Gear-post crash

Here are some pics of the gear I was wearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KBC Vr-2r.JPG (68.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Veloce.JPG (67.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg jrockett.JPG (79.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg jrocket3.JPG (68.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg jrocket2.JPG (70.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Rocket_inner.JPG (65.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0582.JPG (69.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg KBC.JPG (64.6 KB, 27 views)

post #28 of 56 Old 09-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Get well soon Mayday. The bike doesn't look too bad so I would not stress over it.

post #29 of 56 Old 09-08-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Crash update

Well the insurance adjuster did not consider the bike totaled but it was very close. He estimated the damage at $3,266.00. He cut me two checks on the spot, one for $2,266.00 (My deductible was $1,000) and a seperate one for $900.00 to cover my gear that was trashed. The rebuilding will begin as soon as I get off these crutches! Need new radiator, tank, bars, levers, mirrors, cowl, and a few other odds and ends. I plan to start ordering parts once the check clears. I am healing but it is slow, I was so sore the next day I could barely move. Knee has severely limited range of motion and I can't raise my left arm higher than my shoulder but all in all I'm doing fine. Started rehabbing the knee today. Can't wait to ride again. Ordering all new gear and this time I'll be getting knee protection too!

post #30 of 56 Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 PM
no max no more

glad your ok... how do you figure i go down at 90 nothing happens no so called riding gear ...except being sore for a few weeks...glad all is well

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #31 of 56 Old 09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Yow, that knee injury is wicked! Glad you're able to tell us about it, best of luck healing up and getting back on the road.

post #32 of 56 Old 09-08-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
glad your ok... how do you figure i go down at 90 nothing happens no so called riding gear ...except being sore for a few weeks...glad all is well
Second, I have no explanation for that. You're either one bad azz mofo, just lucky or maybe divine intervention was involved. If you can ride without gear and get away with it more power to you, I can't...

Steve

post #33 of 56 Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Ouch!! I hope its not as bad as it looks. So glad you are able to post about it. Here is to a speedy recovery.

post #34 of 56 Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Rebuilding her will be good therapy. Stay strong and take it slow.

post #35 of 56 Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

I learned ATGATT included pants the same painful way, but mine didn't ooze that much raspberry sauce. Get well/riding soon!

post #36 of 56 Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 PM

As far as getting replacement parts, he cut you the check instead of just paying the cost at the dealer/shop, so you might even come out ahead, w/eBay parts.

I haven't installed it yet, but the tank I got off eBay for $200 is cherry. Instant $300 savings off a new one. Right now, I'm bidding on a replacement cowl, but the guy says it's cracked, so I'm not meeting his Buy It Now price.

Congrats on getting instant cooperation from the insurance company - now you can concentrate on nursing your own busted parts.

post #37 of 56 Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 PM
That's Right!!!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I'm surprised he didn't total it.........hell, mine had less damage then that when I bought it basically............

You made out pretty good though, sell off your bike and take the insurance leftover and buy my bike

Glad you are still with us and the bike is still yours bro.

2003 Honda RC51
post #38 of 56 Old 09-08-2009, 09:44 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Glad that you are relatively okay - all things considered and what the outcome could have been. Heal well, and PLEASE - do all the Physical Therapy you can. Take that from someone who has broken a lot of bones and sustained a ton of injuries. But do take the time to heal properly as well.

If there is anything I/We can do, let me know.

M.

post #39 of 56 Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Thanks for the write-up. Soorry for your get-off, and glad to hear you're up & around without too much damage.

I ride 23 miles every day in rush hour traffic, then again in the evening.
I keep a pair of shoes at the office and wear riding boots, mesh jacket (yup, hot in TX!!), helmet and gloves (Veloce, FTW!) while riding.

The only gear I don't wear is the pants, and this has worried me. I may have to keep a pair of trousers at work with my shoes and start wearing the FULL gear.

post #40 of 56 Old 09-08-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I may have to keep a pair of trousers at work with my shoes and start wearing the FULL gear.
Overpants. Love 'em. You look like an astronaut, but they're easier to get into and out of than they look (although it's a bit of a production to take a whiz). Wear whatever pants you like underneath.

I've got a slightly banged-up knee that's thanking me for wearing them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode