Hitting animals - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Hitting animals

A week and a half ago it was really nice out and two of my buddies with brand new bikes not broken in yet wanted to get a little closer to that precious 600 mile mark. I, of course, jumped at any opportunity to ride in fair weather. We were travelling with traffic in a staggered formation at around the 75-80 mph range, everythings fine. I'm in the lead and about a foot and a half from the yellow line in the far left lane on the interstate, when suddenly a bowling ball sized round black object just beamed out of the grass and towards my motor. I FREAKED OUT, but just had time to pull my left leg up a few inches and it struck the top of my left foot and the bottom of my shin. I had been wearing all of my gear and my boots, so I was not injured and no "parts" touched my bike.

My buddies said all they saw was a huge explosion of black with a diameter of about 5 feet. (they just got back from Iraq around 2 months ago so it really freaked them out lol)

My guess is that it was a very large black bird, maybe a crow or raven. Either way, the road was sweeping to the right some and the faithful 9'er just kept on tracking as if nothing happened. Had me scared though!

Everyone else I have talked to says that even hitting a large beetle is painful. Not for me though cuz I wear my PPE! (personal protective equipment)

The only other time something weird happened is when I got a large insect in my eye, got pushed back pretty good (going around 50-60mph). My eye stung really bad but I couldn't rub it out. Kept on truckin with a stinging pulsating eye. Then the unthinkable happened; it started moving! It just crawled out of the inside corner of my right eye. Just like on The Mummy. Always have my visor down over 25 after that

Anyone else had any encounters with nature?

2 > 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

once with a randy she-goat,

Anybody don`t wanna get killed better clear on out the back.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I've hit at least a half dozen birds, one groundhog, and had a dog try to bite me. Friggin' birds hurt at speed.

I didn't hit the worst one though. A bird popped out and was flying straight toward me. I could see the "Oh Sheit" look in his eyes as he spread his wings and started trying to reverse thrust right in front of me. Crapped all over me and the bike but I didn't hit him.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Duuuuuuurp.....

I had a small to medium sized bird bounce off my helmet going about 60mph... other than than, just the regular bugs....

Do we have any Louisiana riders that have comments on the "Love Bugs"??? I hate those things!!

Spoiler:

Apparently I need to hit a few more states
post #5 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I had a zephr 550. Wouldn't you know it, just as I ran out of gas and the engine stalled, I was coasting past a house with a loose dog that came out after me. I had only seconds to switch to reserve & restart without stopping or would've tangled with Fido.

post #6 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 04:20 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I hit two birds one day riding around Mt. Rainier. We were riding about 75-80mph and the first one shot out from the right side of the road and hit my front master cylinder as it went past. Scared the crap out of me! I didn't bother to turn around and see if it was alive or dead.
The second one was about 40 minutes later. I saw something black that looked like it bounced up off the road and was coming back down right toward me. A split second later it hit the right side of my radiator and exploded. There was blood and feathers all over my boot, pants and jacket, in the radiator, on the engine and sprayed down the right side of my bike.
It took a while to clean all the baked-on blood and feathers off the bike.

post #7 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

I was riding through a foggy valley one day near Wisdom, MT (middle of nowhere!), when a flock of small birds burst out in front of me. I swerved, and one of them smacked my helmet pretty good, and wrenched my helmet to the side. It was startling, to say the least.

A week later, I got home, parked the bike (a Honda VFR) and wondered why there was an ant trail leading to the bike the next day.

When I took the fairings off to change the oil and coolant after the trip, I discovered one of those small birds, dead and attracting those ants, wedged between the radiator and the frame. What a way to go! It must have flown into the fairing and gotten stuck at speed. Hope the poor little critter didn't suffer. It was pretty difficult to remove, too.

post #8 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 07:18 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

FOD

post #9 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

In the summer, I frequently commute to work by bicycle. I was going home one afternoon, and a bird swooped down and started to claw and peck at my helmet. Thereafter, this bird seemed to have it in for me!
It got so bad, I'd pick up a stick before entering that portion of the trail and although I never connected, would thwart off the attacks on a regular basis.
Later, someone had spray painted "killer bird" on the sidewalk to warn passers by. I guess I wasn't the only victim!

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Tirone

My dad hit a duck one time. I guess it laid an egg on impact so that was extra messy.

If God had wanted us to be vegetarians why did he make animals out of meat?
post #11 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Princeps Posterior

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

...I like sheep.

Digital Solutions
Home Theaters, distributed Audio/Video, Lighting Control Systems, Automation Systems, CCTV and Security Systems, Access Control Systems, Phone Systems - www.my-digitalsolutions.com
post #12 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
In the summer, I frequently commute to work by bicycle. I was going home one afternoon, and a bird swooped down and started to claw and peck at my helmet. Thereafter, this bird seemed to have it in for me!
It got so bad, I'd pick up a stick before entering that portion of the trail and although I never connected, would thwart off the attacks on a regular basis.
Later, someone had spray painted "killer bird" on the sidewalk to warn passers by. I guess I wasn't the only victim!
Badminton racquet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohead View Post
...I like sheep.
I heard that about you. Freak.

post #13 of 21 Old 03-17-2008, 03:29 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

I hit a buzzard head on with a Vetter Fairing on a CB900C. I hugged the tank and it was just a loud thump and plenty of poop. Ole Lady was about 100' behind said it did cartwheels out in the woods.
Also, on another trip, a Red Bone Hound trailing a deer or coon came hauling out of the woods and broadsided me, hit the back wheel of the same bike and turned a flip over the rear seat. I hardley felt anything but a wooble. My Ole Lady always got to see all the action.
700 lbs going 60mph is actually pretty stable,
IF YOUR FRONT WHEEL STAYS ON THE GROUND!

[
post #14 of 21 Old 03-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Montrealmax

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

road stew

post #15 of 21 Old 03-17-2008, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
I hit a buzzard head on with a Vetter Fairing on a CB900C. I hugged the tank and it was just a loud thump and plenty of poop. Ole Lady was about 100' behind said it did cartwheels out in the woods.
Also, on another trip, a Red Bone Hound trailing a deer or coon came hauling out of the woods and broadsided me, hit the back wheel of the same bike and turned a flip over the rear seat. I hardley felt anything but a wooble. My Ole Lady always got to see all the action.
700 lbs going 60mph is actually pretty stable,
IF YOUR FRONT WHEEL STAYS ON THE GROUND!

That's crazy. I guess those two gyroscopes do a pretty good job at keep us up. Now they need to quit lightening our disk brakes and rims so we can hit more animals more safely!

2 > 4
post #16 of 21 Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 AM
CADMAN1

JACKSONVILLE, FL

Once while riding across St. Johns River bridge near NAS JAX, I was hit in the left shoulder at 85mph by what they call in Florida a Palmetto Bug (most call a large flying roach). Almost lost it, thought I had been shot. Held on til I could get to the emergency lane. When I got my helmet off, I saw a trail of bug guts from the front of my sholder, up and over to my back.

post #17 of 21 Old 03-18-2008, 07:09 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I'll never forget the time I hit a Rhino while going through the mountains in Florida! Wow what a story!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #18 of 21 Old 03-22-2008, 04:42 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

When you get out of the city and pile on the miles, there's no telling what you may come across.

[
post #19 of 21 Old 03-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

pain

Once while riding years before the cali helmet law, I felt something hit my face. It hurt so much my eyes teared so heavely I had to pull over and stop. I thought man big rock ! after getting back home I had to look at my nose and saw a stinger and venom sac inside my nostril from the now dead bee still there. youch !

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #20 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 09:22 AM
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

I hit a dog doing about 30/35mph on my first GPZ 750- really bad day. I didnt have my leather on, it was wicked cold so i had put on an old military/thick coat ( mistake # 1 ), anyway, I had just gotten out of class, went home for lunch and decided to try out my new tires and tank paint job. As I was coming out of a good curvy section I had begun to slow for an upcoming speed trap zone, so I riding along , just enjoying my day when I saw a huge white blur heading right twords me, I grabbed the brakes, but, it was too late - I hit the Husky center mass, thus catapluting my bike in the air and pile driving me to the tarmac - End result, some cool scars on my rt. arm, a couple of stiches to plug up the hole in my elbow, a really sore couple of days, a totaled GPZ ( the road ground into the ignition pick up, bent the forks, bent the frame - runind my new paint job made my new Kerker exhaust obsolite ) and one dead dog - Not a good day, but, I wasnt seriously hurt and I still have most of my cognitive abilties ---

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg
post #21 of 21 Old 03-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Tirone

I hit a deer at highway speed driving at night out of Del Rio Texas (t boned him/her/it). totaled the bike and road rashed me for a few days in hospital

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode