HID conversion mentioned .... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 09-10-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

HID conversion mentioned ....

from my last post about winter riding I've recived a couple of pm's about what it entails to do this.
Since I drive to work at night and go thru deer territory here in NC, I think that this would be a wise move.
I got them from here http://www.vvme.com/12v-5055w-90043...ath=44_46_36 the 4300K
Installation was pretty straight forward. It took me 2 hours from start to finish. This was my first time removing the gas tank or doing anything on my bike. So alot of the time was taking up just getting familiar with everything and sipping coffee here in NC. It pays off to mock up eveything and to carefully plan your routing of your wiring and use zip ties to keep it all at bay. I mounted the ballast to the stud that holds the left fairing reflector on, using the supplied mounting clip. I will stay dry there, if not ill move it. It also alowed me to use a chassi mount for a ground, the kit ground wire it pretty short. There was no cutting or splicing this was a plug and play set up.
If I had to do it again this is easily a 45 min to 1 hour upgrade. And the differance is 200% improvements. I won't be going back to H4 lights, HID all the way.
This should be everyone next upgrade for safety at least.I work at night for 9-6 at night, and this is a vast improvement. I'm able to pick up debri on the road farther than I did with the H4, I might not know what is but I can see something, giving me a earlier warning. on a stretch of black top that has NO lights and the speed limit is 70. The shadows are pushed back, to the tree line. I have seen a fawn, eating shrub about 50 ft back off the road, with alot more detail and I know for sure that the H4's would not have shown her. In me case I did not need to adjust my headlights and I'm not getting flashed by cagers.

And FWIW, I DO KNOW that you can get better performace out of these light IF you had the "right" reflector and lense.... but in my case on my bike it is alot more safer for me to drive with this conversion kit over a H-4. My co worker put one on his CBR with the same positive results.
My bike is a 'O6 Kaw Concours

Cheers
Ron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-10-2010, 09:48 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS Mayhem View Post
And FWIW, I DO KNOW that you can get better performace out of these light IF you had the "right" reflector and lense.... Cheers
Ron

Lol, it's a good thing you mentioned this early, since in the normal course of things a discussion like this gets quickly derailed and "mayhem" ensues...

If you're able to, I'd be interested in pics that show how well it works for you!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 16 Old 09-11-2010, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Lol, it's a good thing you mentioned this early, since in the normal course of things a discussion like this gets quickly derailed and "mayhem" ensues...

If you're able to, I'd be interested in pics that show how well it works for you!
Ooooo Yeeeees !!! I know, there was a discussion about this on another bike thread I'm on, and some ppl truly went bi polar over it....

post #4 of 16 Old 09-11-2010, 04:07 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Nice upgrade since you ride at night a lot.

The older I get the less interest I have in night travel on a bike, especially around this part of the country. I stay out of the city and ride mostly backroads anyway. The deer population is thick around here and evolution hasn't taught them a thing about staying away from blacktop. There is an interstate close to here with an "island" of forest land in one stretch that is a deer haven. They are so accustomed to traffic they will graze within 5' of traffic whizzing by them. I think it's their offspring who are the daredevils that jump out in front of you on a two lane backroad.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 16 Old 09-11-2010, 07:15 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I would like to see photos of the set up as well if you dont mind.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-11-2010, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
I'll post some pics this week. I'll need to wait till I get some gas out of my tank.... it holds 7.5 gal.....

post #7 of 16 Old 09-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Ballaholic

good thing your far, far away from me. have fun blinding people.

edit: just noticed that this was in the "riding safety" section, kinda ironic since everyone coming at you down the road wont be able to see lol

post #8 of 16 Old 09-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post

edit: just noticed that this was in the "riding safety" section, kinda ironic since everyone coming at you down the road wont be able to see lol
Can I ask why a HID bulb is anymore blinding than any other higher wattage build? It uses the same cut off as the OEM and it's not retrofitted with a non-factory projector. So if the original beam was adjusted correctly, and hasn't blinded anyone yet, why would a higher output have any different affect twords oncoming traffic.

I mean this in an open minded way. I'm not trying to stir the pot or even thread jack. I just don't understand. I'm also considering a HID upgrade.

post #9 of 16 Old 09-12-2010, 10:53 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

LOL ^^ here we go again...

post #10 of 16 Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 AM
The Cripple

what he said ^^^^ lol

post #11 of 16 Old 09-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
LOL ^^ here we go again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
what he said ^^^^ lol
Alright. I'll just search it. Obviously I missed the first round.

Now back to your regularly sceduled thread.

post #12 of 16 Old 09-12-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post

As mentioned in my first post, I don't get flashed and my light cut off is NOT in the on coming triffics eye's. Si I don't blind.
But I have seen riders put in HID's in there ride, cars too and not bother to see or check if the new "beam" requires adjustment. I think Im more considerate.

post #13 of 16 Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRig View Post
Can I ask why a HID bulb is anymore blinding than any other higher wattage build? It uses the same cut off as the OEM and it's not retrofitted with a non-factory projector. So if the original beam was adjusted correctly, and hasn't blinded anyone yet, why would a higher output have any different affect twords oncoming traffic.

I mean this in an open minded way. I'm not trying to stir the pot or even thread jack. I just don't understand. I'm also considering a HID upgrade.
don't go there man

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #14 of 16 Old 09-12-2010, 05:09 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

^^^ Like i said before, here we go again...

(No offence drewvir, I get it)

post #15 of 16 Old 09-12-2010, 05:18 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

rmb,

i knew. most of us know this thread is "going down like the titanic"

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #16 of 16 Old 09-20-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
This site has a great how to....... the basics are the same. http://www.rvbprecision.com/motorcy...orcycle.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode