Helmet recommendations with integrated sunshield - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By fairlylogical
  • 1 Post By Coondawg07

Old 06-04-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Helmet recommendations with integrated sunshield

Any recommendations for a helmet with an integrated sun shield?

I've had an HJC IS-16 (or 17) for years and have liked it. But it is starting to show it's age. Chin vent hinge is broke...not a big deal. but the fabric glue on some of the parts is letting go. Makes me wonder about the integrity of the helmet.

Anyway, it lasted long enough.

My 2 thoughts at the moment are another IS-16 or the SHOEI GT AIR.

Anyone have experience with these helmets? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2015, 07:33 PM
notsowisecracker

I've been using a Scorpion EX-1000 for several years and like it. Good anti fog on the shield, and relatively quite.
I think the newest version is the EXO-2000.

I tried on the GT Air, and when I win the lottery it will be mine!

For the price, if you've been happy with the IS-16, that may be the way to go.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Riding Naked All The Time

I have GT air. I like it mostly. It does not flow as much air as the RF1100, probably because of the drop down visor, but I do like that feature so much I will likely not buy any helmet without it.

2004 919 Uranium

Old 06-04-2015, 09:41 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

It might be worth looking into a Bell helmet with the transition shield too... Then you get the best of both worlds without messing with a sun shield or worrying about being caught out at night with a Tinted shield. I don't have one and have never even seen one in person, but I wish i could get that kind of shield for my helmet

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
Old 06-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Centurion

I have a GT Air and a HJC RPHA10. I use the HJC for track.

The GT air is very good. Stable at speed. The drop down visor is very good. It is very clear and they say optically correct. My previous helmet had a drop down that distorted everything. Great visibility out of the helmet, very open.

My view these days is when people say this helmet is noisy etc that it is down the rider and the bike/screen setup. I find it quiet but you may not.

It is good quality, Ive had it 7 months now I think and its my everyday helmet. I commute and weekend ride so it gets a lot of use. It is showing no wear at all. I normally kill a helmet in a 1.5 years. I would happily buy another.

As always fit is the big thing, it fits me and is comfortable.

I have the HJC which I prefer for track due to it being more stable over 100mph than the GT Air. But that will be due to my height and my bike.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:31 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I love my Schuberth S2. I've only used the integrated sun shield once or twice so I can't really speak to that part, but it's pretty comfortable, light, and quiet.

It came with a pinlock shield, and I added in the SRC-S bluetooth module (replaces the neck roll), and the battery on that thing lasts forever.

'07 Ducati Monster S4RS
'06 Honda 919 (sold)
'95 Honda Rebel 250 (sold)
Old 06-05-2015, 04:09 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
It might be worth looking into a Bell helmet with the transition shield too... Then you get the best of both worlds without messing with a sun shield or worrying about being caught out at night with a Tinted shield. I don't have one and have never even seen one in person, but I wish i could get that kind of shield for my helmet
I have a Bell Star with a transitions shield and love it. I have never had one with a flip down shield so can't really compare but I would imagine the flip down would probably block out a bit more light. It's nice though not having to worry about it on those late afternoon/ early eve rides.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:56 AM
The Cripple

If you are looking bang for your buck, scorpion exo-1000 cannot be beat for the features you listed!

Old 06-05-2015, 01:28 PM
just send it.

Garage
I have the EXO-500 and love it. I was actually at my dealership a few years back looking to buy the Shoei Qwest helmet and the sales guys talked me into the Scorpion because I would get more 'bang for my buck'. I've had it 3 years and while I need to replace my visor (because I must have washed it with sandpaper), it has held up very well and I would gladly go back in time and buy it again.

After buying my EXO-500, the wife picked up the EXO-1000 for some crazy price on the interwebs. While the 1000 is a nice helmet, I don't care for it as much as the 500. For me, it comes down to the vent placement. I think they are kind of awkward to use on the 1000. Also, fitting a Sena Headset to the 1000 was a little more challenging due to the way the liner fits together.

If I was in the market for buying a new helmet, I'd be looking at a modular solution. I always balked at the idea of a modular helmet until I went on a road trip with a a few buddies that had them. Nothing like pulling up to a light, flipping up the lid and yelling something at the guy next to you and have him be able to understand what you are saying (partly because they can read your lips). For the reason of pure convenience, I'd be looking at the EXO-900X. For $200 you get a helmet with all kinds of fancy features.

[This space for rent]
Old 06-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Omnivore

I had an EXO-1000 for a while, and really liked it. I replaced it with an AGV Horizon and like it even more. It is a bit lighter than Scorpion, but still has the internal dropdown visor. It is pretty quiet (I do wear earplugs) and I find it very comfortable. It also has cutouts for speakers and a wired microphone if you use a bluetooth reciever.

AGV must be coming out with an update for it, as you can find it on clearance now at pretty good prices.

AGV Horizon Helmet - RevZilla

Old 06-05-2015, 03:29 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Any helmet recommendations must be contingent on head shape and fit. If you're comfortable in HJC , you should try on "rounder" neutral oval models. If you feel pressure on the top of your forehead with HJC then you might want to consider an intermediate oval like Shoei. Bell fits like HJC. There aren't that many models with photochromic shields so I'd say try on as many as you can. My son just bought a LaZer Monaco and likes it a lot.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:57 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Any helmet recommendations must be contingent on head shape and fit. If you're comfortable in HJC , you should try on "rounder" neutral oval models. If you feel pressure on the top of your forehead with HJC then you might want to consider an intermediate oval like Shoei. Bell fits like HJC. There aren't that many models with photochromic shields so I'd say try on as many as you can. My son just bought a LaZer Monaco and likes it a lot.
Totally agree... I have a couple cheap hjc's and they all feel like they're stabbing me in the forehead after about a half hour... My last two shoeis have fit like a dream

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
Old 06-06-2015, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Bought the shoei gt air. Forgot how snug a new helmet is.

Haven't gone riding with it. I'll post a review after I do

Old 06-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Milites Gregarius

+1 on the Bell with transitions shield. I had an HJC with the integrated shield, but the tabs broke after about a year. The replacement shield was pretty pricey. The Bell is very pricey, but if you shop around at the end of the season you can pick up last year's model at substantial discount.

1972 Honda CL350 "sold"
1981 Honda CB750 Custom "sold"
1983 Honda V45 "sold"
1975 Honda 400F "sold"
1978 Honda 750K "sold"
1969 CT70K0
1980 CBX "sold"
2006 900F 919
Old 06-07-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I only went on a few short trips and so far I love it. Feels lighter and more balanced than the HJC IS-16.

INCREDIBLE VENTING. With the pinlock shield down and vents open, it feels like a mohawk of air is going over your head. I am VERY impressed.

Helmet has such a quality feel. Typical of SHOEI. Vents feel solid. HJC IS-16 did not have this feel. Felt alright but cheaper.

Fit is similar to HJC, maybe slightly more oval shaped. I'm a large in both HJC and SHOEI. The SHOEI is slightly tighter to put on, but once your head is in the helmet is feels more snug. (for my size / shape head)

Only downside is price. But you get what you pay for. Figured I've spent $919 on an ohlins....$300 for a corbin......How can I cheap out on my skull when ive spent plenty on my ass. lol

I can see why web bike world gave it such good reviews. Very happy with it. Thanks guys.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:23 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I've been using a Bilt Cyclone helmet for two years and I love it. Has integral flip down sun shield that could be a tad darker but overall a great helmet. Listed for $179, on sale for $79 and Cycle Parts (I think). Not much wind noise and comfortable as hell. Only issue was the strap was a bit short and not very easy to fasten/unfasten. So, I took the strap out of my old helmet and sewed it into my Bilt and now I got what I think is a perfect system. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:42 PM
Tirone

Icon AirFlite, can't wait until it's available near me.

Islandboy likes this.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:44 PM
919 Rider

Looks Badass!
Now I want one. Bugger.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:21 AM
Centurion

Garage
It seems like the sun visor is a bit short and the front while cool looking, you won't be able to interchange it with something else. I would recommend getting the Shark Spartan Carbon, but maybe I'm just biased :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-03-29_10-19-09.jpg (59.0 KB, 11 views)

Old 03-29-2018, 08:08 PM
Pilus Posterior

One of the things I noticed from my last to my current is the wind noise. Simple things like built in sunshield, adjustable cheek pads to reduce wind noise are nice but not standard.

I don't understand why they can design these things with more standard features. How expensive is it to add air bags with a little pump. It's all of $2 worth of parts. The sunshield is what, another $4 worth of plastic?

Larger vents for hot weather, maybe even built in BT or room for BT speakers and mic or have some space in those areas around the ear.

Seems like we need another KickStarter for a great helmet.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:50 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Skully (the defunct one) got bought out and is coming back.

I'm getting my helmet after all :-D They are sending them to anyone who ordered one but didn't get it. Because Weller was a douche.

https://skullytechnologies.com/fenix-ar/

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
Old 03-30-2018, 02:45 PM
The Cripple

I'm beyond pleased with my Nuviz! Forget skully.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:19 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Skully (the defunct one) got bought out and is coming back.

I'm getting my helmet after all :-D They are sending them to anyone who ordered one but didn't get it. Because Weller was a douche.

https://skullytechnologies.com/fenix-ar/
Wow, blows away that they would get bought out rather than just start new. Unless there's some patent or other things of great value, I can't see why anyone would ever do this.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:21 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
I'm beyond pleased with my Nuviz! Forget skully.
Did we ever get a review of that? I remember someone mentioned it, but I haven't see any video reviews. Can you put a camera inside your helmet and show us what you see?

Old 04-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Milites Gregarius

Iíve got an AGV K3 SV Iím mighty fond of.
steev likes this.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:49 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Shoei GT Air for the BMW and the Hurricane.
Scorpion EXO-AT950 for the Africa Twin. Love that helmet. Has a sun shield, visor, and is flip up.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
Old 04-24-2018, 06:24 AM
just send it.

Garage
Picked up a Scorpion EXO-AT950 and I'm liking it more than I thought I would. The 'off-road' styling brings the 'chin' of the helmet out and makes me feel much less claustrophobic in my helmet. It never really bothered me before, but now every time I put my track helmet back on (EXO-R710), I feel like I'm always licking the inside of my helmet.

edit: Looks like @HondaJim beat me to it.

[This space for rent]
Old 04-24-2018, 06:37 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Shoei GT Air for the BMW and the Hurricane.

I really did enjoy my old GT-Air. Unfortunately, I sold it after selling one of my bikes. It was cost prohibitive at the time I needed another helmet and the Shoei isnít perfect for my round head. Awesome helmet still the same.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:20 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondawg07 View Post
Iíve got an AGV K3 SV Iím mighty fond of.

Me too, but that Icon looks intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in