Got hit today - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By theboom

post #1 of 18 Old 02-29-2016, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Got hit today

It only took about 2 months of daily commuting on Atlanta's hyper-congested surface streets for this to happen. I was riding in the left-turn lane with a long line of stopped traffic on my right. With maybe 30-40 yards to go until my turn, and the turn lane free and clear, a van from the stopped traffic on my right suddenly decides he's going to make a U-turn across the turn lane. Naturally he's not looking for a bike so he does this right smack in front of me. All I could do was swerve to my left, around the front of him, and his van clipped the back of the niner as I passed. To my relief - only damage was the right rear lollipop turn signal. If I'd been 1 second farther back I woulda had to just plow into him.

I'm blaming myself for this one though. Cagers are gonna do stupid s**t, we know this, and I'm supposed to be predicting it. After a lot of incident-free days, I think I was probably going a little faster than I should have (maybe 20mph?) and not being as vigilant as I used to be.

Here's my takeaway: try and remember how cautiously I rode around other cars when I first got on a bike, and RIDE LIKE THAT all the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Left of Centre

Glad to hear you're ok. I guess it's a balance between "coulda been worse", and "coulda avoided it altogether". That whole vigilance thing is hard when we get comfortable and accustomed.

Keep safe!

post #3 of 18 Old 02-29-2016, 08:21 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Glad you are OK man and thanks for the reminder to stop doing stupid shit. I catch myself taking a few too many risks lately.

post #4 of 18 Old 03-01-2016, 07:03 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

That visualization of all cagers pointing a gun at you really stuck since my msf classes, can never be too careful specially around the city where people are too busy to look/care.

Glad you're alright. Is the driver paying for damages?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 18 Old 03-01-2016, 07:25 AM
PB

Most important thing is you're safe. Second most important thing is that now is the perfect time to perform that turn signal upgrade you've always been talking about right?

post #6 of 18 Old 03-01-2016, 09:09 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Always ride 95-5 because even though the other people don't know it, they are actually out to kill you.

Happy to see that you are still here to discuss this today.

ďIn my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.Ē
General George S. Patton
post #7 of 18 Old 03-01-2016, 09:32 AM
Immune

Big city traffic commutes in a car ( on a bike, no way) are too crazy for me & I race a ChumpCar.

post #8 of 18 Old 03-01-2016, 10:13 AM
The Cripple

Glad you're ok. No matter what I'm doing or how I'm riding, I always assume no one sees me and that they don't give a shit about me. That mentality has served me well and is a good reminder to not get too comfortable.

If you had a situation where you had to react, then you're not paying close enough attention. Be as proactive as you can in every situation you find yourself in.

post #9 of 18 Old 03-01-2016, 02:51 PM
Dead Wrong

Garage
close call. you just leveled up in your biking skill. use the experience for next time and stay safe.

Dead wrong
post #10 of 18 Old 03-01-2016, 03:58 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Atlanta is way too fucked up to commute on a bike. If you want to get through traffic quickly buy an old Chevy Caprice, knock the rear window out of it and then drive around slightly erratic while wearing a ski mask and constantly looking behind you. The cars around you will get the hell out of your way!

post #11 of 18 Old 03-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Optio

Garage
Have to be careful out there, especially when it comes to windowless vans, especially when they say free kittens and candy on the side. Jokes aside, it coulda been worse and will improve your skills in the long run. We all need a reality check every now and then to keep our guard up. Glad that you walked away with minimal damage to yourself and the 9er.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #12 of 18 Old 03-01-2016, 06:52 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Glad to hear it wasn't worse! This is why I ride in the woods, keep away from the gen pop that don't see us... I had quit riding for five years because of a very lose call one morning on the way into work, then I found the 919!

post #13 of 18 Old 03-01-2016, 09:00 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Atlanta is way too fucked up to commute on a bike.
That is what I was trying to say. I have relatives in Atlanta & in Kennesaw & Peachtree City. My grandmother lived in Decatur for many years.

Atlanta is not a safe place to ride, much less commute in the traffic every day.

post #14 of 18 Old 03-01-2016, 10:58 PM
oops hurts

Garage
I have said this before to groans on this forum. My motorcycle is a recreational vehicle, not a utility vehicle. Is driving in traffic fun? No. Is riding to work when Im half awake and riding home when Im tired from a days work fun? No. So I don't do it. At All. Friends at work keep asking when Im going to drive my bike to work. I tell them: never. I dont do milk runs and I dont ride around town.

I ride on the weekends, away from cars. Its fun. Keep it fun. Its way safer.
ray.beard likes this.

post #15 of 18 Old 03-02-2016, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboom View Post
I have said this before to groans on this forum. My motorcycle is a recreational vehicle, not a utility vehicle. Is driving in traffic fun? No. Is riding to work when Im half awake and riding home when Im tired from a days work fun? No. So I don't do it. At All. Friends at work keep asking when Im going to drive my bike to work. I tell them: never. I dont do milk runs and I dont ride around town.

I ride on the weekends, away from cars. Its fun. Keep it fun. Its way safer.
The whole commuting thing is an experiment. Been a few months now of riding every day that's not raining, down into the 30s even. Saves maybe 5-10m in the morning but 15m in the evening, and there have been cases where I've had to go my kids' school after work, which would have been 90 minutes, and it took 45 on the bike. Of course it's less safe than the car and I didn't really intend to start a debate about it, but I'm trying to determine if the extra risk is worth the easier commute. I just cannot handle sitting in gridlock and going nowhere fast. Especially now that I've got a taste of riding. Anyway we'll see, the experiment may fail if this happens with any regularity.

And no, dude did not pay for any damages, he took off. In fact it turns out all he did was pop the orange cover off the blinker, and it popped back on. It was an old 80s minivan with ladders on top. Those guys aren't legal and aren't insured so they're not stopping unless their vehicle is disabled. Has happened to me before, in a car.

With shorter mini-indicators he wouldn't have touched me at all.

post #16 of 18 Old 03-02-2016, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Reminds me, there was another thread where a guy was asking about moving to Atlanta, and LDH your comment is pretty accurate - but not because the drivers are bad. There are bad drivers everywhere from what I've observed, and by and large most Atlanta drivers have been really cool about letting me ride through/past/around them when they're sitting still. Usually they're engrossed in their cell phones and don't even notice. Seriously.

The problem isn't the drivers, the problem is the congestion. It has to be lived to be believed. I kid you not, my 9 miles after work takes easily 50 minutes in a car, and over an hour once every few weeks on average. It's misery. Do not move here.

post #17 of 18 Old 03-02-2016, 11:04 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

No they are bad drivers. I have been on a 7 or 8 lane freeway outside Atlanta that branches in 2 directions with 2 lanes going one way and all the other lanes continue on and those dumb sonsabitches will ride the farthest lane away from the 2 lane branch they need to be on until the very last second then grind traffic to a halt while they make their way across 6 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic. It's stupid people at their worst plain and simple.

post #18 of 18 Old 03-02-2016, 03:55 PM
GLG-20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
... those dumb sonsabitches will ride the farthest lane away from the 2 lane branch they need to be on until the very last second then grind traffic to a halt while they make their way across 6 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic.
That's not just Atlanta

I think it's a bit of stupid with a twist of a 'me first' attitude. They don't care that they're screwing up the traffic flow for everyone; they're more concerned with getting past a few more cars and feeling like they've accomplished something.

If you get a chance, come to Huntsville! Much less traffic.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode