Good info/way of thinking - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 1 Old 09-21-2009, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Good info/way of thinking

So I got my monthly RoadRunner magazine newsletter and lord and behold, there was this snipit about identifing risk issues while riding . I thought it was pretty good so , here it is !

TOURING TIP: BECOME A RISK MANAGEMENT RIDER
Although it might not be evident from recent events, risk managers in the business world focus on the risk of events that could cause financial loss to their companies. The job is simple in concept: identify where risk exists, assess how significant that risk is and implement an appropriate mitigation strategy. This three-phase approach to risk management in the business world is just as applicable to touring motorcyclists. And it is arguably more important to us riders, because were not just risking financial loss; we're also risking our life and limb! For most of us the risk of bodily harm far outweighs the financial risk of a damaged motorcycle.
There have been many books written and courses given (e.g., MSF Basic Riding Course) about the risks faced by motorcyclists, but the three-step risk management process enumerated above is an effective way to train your mind to identify, assess and mitigate those risks. Following is a matrix that illustrates several examples of how rider risk management can work.
Rider Risk Management
The Situation: Riding in rain
Step 1: Identify
Wet pavement and possible loss of traction
Step 2: Assess
Is the surface shiny or dull? When I lightly drag my boot does the surface seem slippery? Does the surface show signs of oil? How much tread is left on my tires?
Step 3: Mitigate
If traction is likely compromised, decrease speed, especially on curves.
The Situation: Riding at night
Possible objects in the road that may cause a crash.
Low visibility to other drivers.
Does area have high level of nocturnal animal activity or likely road hazards?
How visible am I to others? Do they seem to see me?
Add auxiliary lights; follow driver's side tires of car ahead.
Wear reflective clothing and add auxiliary lights. Avoid riding at night whenever possible.
The Situation: Riding in cold weather
Risk of hypothermia
Am I exhibiting any of the symptoms, like shivering, slurred speech, or diminished coordination?
Stop and replace any wet clothes with dry ones, drink warm liquids, perform moderate exercise to generate body heat.
You, undoubtedly, can expand upon the above example and it's not a bad idea to do so by cataloging these types of risk items in advance. Incorporate every type of risk that you've read or been taught about. Your goal is to make the three-step risk management process mentally comprehensive and second nature, operating on a virtually subconscious level when you're riding.

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode