Getting the wave-on from other drivers - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Getting the wave-on from other drivers

*Warning! There is cursing and profanity in this post!*

I hate it when I pull up to an intersection and the idiot on the other side tries to concede their right-of-way instead of just moving along in due order.

I hate it because of the confusion it causes, I hate it because it causes danger and uncertainty, JUST GO WHEN IT'S YOUR TURN!

Legally, you can't give up your Right of Way. just like you can't legally take it when it's someone elses turn.

I especially hate it when I'm riding the motorcycle, since I'm more vulnerable than when I'm in the car.

So, the other day I was in a parking lot on the bike. I also fucking hate parking lots, but that's a different rant. I was at the end of an aisle waiting to turn into the main avenue of the parking lot and then exit onto the street. As I was waiting for my turn, this woman driving a Pathfinder motions for me to pull out. The problem is that I couldn't see around her to make sure it was clear for me to go. I shook my head to let her know she should just go...and she motioned to me again. Dammit! I took my hands off the bars and shook my head again. She then went ahead and made her turn into my aisle and yelled at me, calling me a "Fucking Asshole" as she went by.

I turned the bike around and stopped in front of her now parked car, and asked if she had any other passive-aggressive BS she wanted to heap onto me. I explained why I chose to ignore her wave-on. She was not impressed and started to yell something else at me. I cut her off, yelling loudly that she should learn to drive right, and called her a "Tiresome ****!" and rode away.

Dammit!

So what's the opinion of the forum? Am I the asshole here, or not? Hmm?

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Not.

post #3 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 AM
Wagonmaster

Absolutely not!

post #4 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 03:43 AM
no max no more

you have anger problems

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #5 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 03:55 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
you have anger problems
+1

Some people just don't get it. Just gotta let it go D and carry on your merry day it seems.

post #6 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 04:08 AM
CB900

Quote:
you have anger problems
+ 1

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #7 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
you have anger problems
I'd agree. Some days I do have anger problems...
Or you could re-state it to say that perhaps I have idiot problems...

Normally, I'm not that caustic when dealing with people...That one in particular managed to push pretty much *all* of my buttons, at once. So it goes.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #8 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 05:13 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

I think she wanted you...and you went and ruined it. You should go buy some flowers and leave them on her windshield.

post #9 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 05:37 AM
Tirone

You are in the right mate, I also get this crap all the time on the street.

Damn cornflakes and those driver licences they give out in breakfast cereal packets.

post #10 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I shook my head to let her know she should just go...and she motioned to me again. Dammit! I took my hands off the bars and shook my head again. She then went ahead and made her turn into my aisle and yelled at me, calling me a "Fucking Asshole" as she went by.

I turned the bike around and stopped in front of her now parked car, and asked if she had any other passive-aggressive BS she wanted to heap onto me. I explained why I chose to ignore her wave-on. She was not impressed and started to yell something else at me. I cut her off, yelling loudly that she should learn to drive right, and called her a "Tiresome ****!" and rode away.
This is a prime example of why I avoid Starbuck's parking lot.

Every time I swing my leg over the bike I make two assumptions: (1) I am invisible and (2) everyone else is impaired. So I''m not surprised when other drivers behave stupidly.
post #11 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Aquilifer

Large or small, male or female, young or old I don't come back and confront anyone. Long long time ago I had a gun pulled on me during a traffic dispute by someone who looked like Wilford Brimley. Just give'em a wide berth and go on your way.
My 2 cents and you can leave it on the counter ;-)

post #12 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jura View Post
Large or small, male or female, young or old I don't come back and confront anyone. Long long time ago I had a gun pulled on me during a traffic dispute by someone who looked like Wilford Brimley. Just give'em a wide berth and go on your way.
My 2 cents and you can leave it on the counter ;-)
You are probably right but... maybe sometime cage pilots need a wake up call. just yesterday I was riding along in sweet bliss when a woman pulls along beside me and just as her rear bumper gets even with my front tire she pulls into my lane. I brake hard and avoid getting a hospital stay or worse. I downshifted and nailed it to pull up beside this lady who was in a deep cell phone comma. We pulled up to a stop light and I stopped right beside her window and proceeded to chew on her about talking on the cell phone while she is driving. ... She knew she was wrong and tried to change the subject and said " that sure is a pretty bike" I hollered at that point, "lady hang up the cell phone and drive before you kill someone". Maybe it will save some guy from getting ran over next week ??? I don't know. Anyway she and I have this wonderful relationship now. As I pulled off when the light changed I knew she probably has a crush on me now.

post #13 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

Anger assumptions aside, no, you were not the asshole.

I agree with your statement, "I hate it because of the confusion it causes, I hate it because it causes danger and uncertainty, JUST GO WHEN IT'S YOUR TURN!"

A long time ago I was waiting to turn left out of a parking lot (in my car) and traffic was backed up. Another driver stopped and left a gap for me to turn. I couldn't see around him but I could see no one was coming from the right, so I went. As I pulled around him a guy behind him got tired of waiting and pulled into the oncoming lane to pass him and instead hit me as I came around him! Cops came and said it was my fault as I was the one pulling into a lane of traffic from a parking lot. I argued that the guy crossed the double yellow line to pass when he hit me but it didn't matter beacuse I did not have what? RIGHT OF WAY! So I get the ticket. Needless to say I don't let people wave me past anymore.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #14 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Man and Machine

The other driver has the anger problem if you ask me.. The rider chose to stick to what he knows. Oh how DARE HIM not accept my gesture!! And so she gets all bent about it?? Its important know to know what you(the rider) is doing. And he did till the other person came along.. Id been like OK dude, you don't want to go, its cool.. Ill go. Just like it was said don't go changing things.

I will say though..Theres been times when ill wave someone on just to get them out of my sight... Works good when they're just sitting there wondering what your going to do. The wait is appreciated
Though.

post #15 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM
i appear missing

Quote:
I had a gun pulled on me during a traffic dispute by someone who looked like Wilford Brimley.
... although definitely not a funny situation to be in.

I don't think you were in the wrong. I wouldn't have gone back to confront her though. If I did I'd try to explain in a calm matter why I didn't accept her gesture, if she raged on, I'd just continue on my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callinmeupward View Post
I will say though..Theres been times when ill wave someone on just to get them out of my sight... Works good when they're just sitting there wondering what your going to do. The wait is appreciated though.
I do this as well.

post #16 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM
no max no more

Quote:
I'd agree. Some days I do have anger problems...
Or you could re-state it to say that perhaps I have idiot problems...

Normally, I'm not that caustic when dealing with people...That one in particular managed to push pretty much *all* of my buttons, at once. So it goes.

i was the same way for many years....now i figure if im not hit hurt or killed all is good.....i do throw pennys at cars with obama stickers....that i have to work on

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #17 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
i was the same way for many years....now i figure is im not hit hurt or killed all is good.....i do throw pennys at cars with obama stickers....that i have to work on
Good luck with that

post #18 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Ginger-prick

You're absolutely right, although stopping to confront this tiresome bitch isn't going to change her bad driving, so it maybe would have been best to let that go.

Bu I agree with you.
The other thing I hate, is when someone stops short at an intersection so that "I stopped first, I get to go first"
When they do this, I just cut them off and go first anyway.

I will actually start slowing down sooner as I approach an intersection, so the the other person approaching gets there first and I make it obvious that they are to go next. And I get really pissed when they don't realize this.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #19 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Evolving.....Slowly

A big problem in my locale is when the road is wide enough to turn a single lane into two. If I'm making a left and someone is waiting to pull out in my direction, I like to let them go first to get them out of the way. It's a courtesy thing I picked up in life. The problem is that as soon as I put on my left blinker, traffic behind me will always shift to the right and continue by. Not legal, but common . This prevents the person I am being nice to from pulling out for fear of being hit by the cars passing me on the right. I always pull far right and put on my left blinker in these situations to try to prevent this. Sometimes it works, sometimes cars go over the curb and down the sidewalk to go around me, honking the entire time while yelling at me (seriously, last Friday). More often I just make the left if it looks like it's going to cause a problem, confusion, or an accident.

Jersey would be so much better if I were the only one here.

I learned while driving emergency vehicles with lights and sirens that everyone will do exactly what you don't want them to do when you least expect it, and it has made me a safer driver and rider because of it. Fuck anyone who gets mad because you didn't put yourself in a compromised position because they wanted you to.

"If what you are doing isn't working, don't try harder, try different."
post #20 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Yo no sť nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLife View Post
Fuck anyone who gets mad because you didn't put yourself in a compromised position because they wanted you to.
+1,000

post #21 of 24 Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
*Warning! There is cursing and profanity in this post!*

So what's the opinion of the forum? Am I the asshole here, or not? Hmm?

You've been very bad! You need to go sit in the corner for one hour. I don't want to see you looking at or talking to anyone during that period and maybe you'll learn your lesson

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #22 of 24 Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Here's the thing to remember: Cagers will be cagers and riding a motorcycle among them is what it is. It's the risk we assume when we make the decision to ride. It's good to stay focused on what WE can do to be safe(er). I am amused by the ABATE crowd as they waste time, effort and money on "awareness" campaigns and expect everyone else on the road to be responsible for THEIR safety. Yet they don't even emphasize the benefits of wearing a helmet, let alone riding ATGATT. To me, that's the definition of stress: the difference between one's perception of how things ought to be and reality.

post #23 of 24 Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Milites Gregarius

No, you definitely weren't the asshole. Its also my pet peeve when people try to motion you first when they have right of way. it makes intersections awkward and dangerous. That lady didn't seem like the most reasonable of people to start with. I mean, she yelled at you for not putting yourself in a vulnerable position just so she can feel like a nice person.

Glad no guns were pulled!

post #24 of 24 Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Immune

Quote:
Just give'em a wide berth and go on your way.
Yep. Not worth it, ride on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode