foot position, i'm confused - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 34 Old 12-05-2009, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

foot position, i'm confused

i was reading online about people getting there foot sucked under there peg. what is the correct riding position for your foot? my whole life i have tucked my feet under the shifter/ brake with my foot basicly completley under it, peg catches on the bump right before the heel of my boot. but im reading that you should be on the ball of your foot? what is correct? i have a size 14 boot so i have big feet, and i just ordered a 30mm peg lowering kit because i suffered a major knee injury and now it wont bend far enough to get it on the peg, so with being even closer to the ground the last thing i need is that leg torn under my bike. thanks -chad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 12-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

balls of your feet on the pegs, arch on the pegs your going to destroy your boots... boots dont like asphalt very much. ESPECIALLY if you have a lowering kit... Its a good think you live in FL where theres no turns...

Spoiler:
post #3 of 34 Old 12-05-2009, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

yeah, i live on the ocean too, so no one gets real crazy tucking into turns around here because theres sand everywhere.

post #4 of 34 Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspiece919 View Post
balls of your feet on the pegs, ..........
This.

The position you describe, with your feet under the shifter & brake, is bad news. Riding flat-footed like that leads to trouble. Keep on your toes (in more way than one ).

post #5 of 34 Old 12-06-2009, 04:53 AM
no max no more

have size 13 with long legs i ride with my feet all over the place..under off to the side..thats not a problem it comfort to me...but going into a turn i put the toes on the peg

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #6 of 34 Old 12-06-2009, 05:02 AM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
have size 13 with long legs i ride with my feet all over the place..under off to the side..thats not a problem it comfort to me...but going into a turn i put the toes on the peg
man you all over the damn place on dat bike .... and you got some big @$$ feet ... you'd be an awesome barefooted skier ... lolol

post #7 of 34 Old 12-06-2009, 11:40 AM
no max no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostevo052 View Post
man you all over the damn place on dat bike .... and you got some big @$$ feet ... you'd be an awesome barefooted skier ... lolol
you should see when i double clutch..Look Ma no hands

post #8 of 34 Old 12-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase

Quote:
you should see when i double clutch..Look Ma no hands
.... ..... wait ... correct me if i'm wrong but .... don't you need your hands to double clutch ?? .... beins you use your hand to clutch.... -does not compute ... does not compute- ..... *syntax error* ~reboot~ ..... .... lol ... and i still stand by my statement that you ARE, in fact, the most random person on the planet ....

post #9 of 34 Old 12-06-2009, 12:52 PM
no max no more

Quote:
.... ..... wait ... correct me if i'm wrong but .... don't you need your hands to double clutch ?? .... beins you use your hand to clutch.... -does not compute ... does not compute- ..... *syntax error* ~reboot~ ..... .... lol ... and i still stand by my statement that you ARE, in fact, the most random person on the planet ....
.i figured you where doing a play on my works when i said... i ride with my feet all over the place..you guys are tricky ya know

post #10 of 34 Old 12-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase

Quote:
.i figured you where doing a play on my works when i said... i ride with my feet all over the place..you guys are tricky ya know

........ ooooooo .... i see now ... funny man ... lol ... took me a crash/reboot/explanation to understand wth you was talkin about ...

post #11 of 34 Old 12-06-2009, 01:22 PM
no max no more

Quote:
........ ooooooo .... i see now ... funny man ... lol ... took me a crash/reboot/explanation to understand wth you was talkin about ...
i must of gave your wit to much credit

post #12 of 34 Old 12-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase

Quote:
i must of gave your wit to much credit
Hey!! .... grrr ...

post #13 of 34 Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Jeez, would you two just go get a room, already?

:

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #14 of 34 Old 12-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Jeez, would you two just go get a room, already?

:
How bout you go rape a quad !!! Douche ... Lol jp

post #15 of 34 Old 12-25-2009, 08:39 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Bad (no blame on rider, S4R stock exhaust doesn't let him to position his foot properly)

Good

here is a proper position but stock exhaust doesn't let him to tuck his foot in, it sticks out too much.

post #16 of 34 Old 12-26-2009, 04:11 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

So, I'm guessing this would be BAD foot positioning?

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #17 of 34 Old 12-26-2009, 04:23 AM
ride honda ride the best

ride on the ball of your feet will give you better control in the twisties and save your boots when you drag peg.

post #18 of 34 Old 12-26-2009, 07:12 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
Bad
(no blame on rider, S4R stock exhaust doesn't let him to position his foot properly)

This reminds me... the new Streetfighter suffers from the same issue.
The mechanic at our local Duc shop has rather large feet, & he pointed out to me how the exhaust hinders proper foot positioning.
It's a shame that such a cool (& expensive) bike could have such a tiny detail overlooked that would cause such an issue.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #19 of 34 Old 12-26-2009, 07:22 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

look at the positive side, one more reason to upgrade stock exhaust. They are actually forcing you

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_919 View Post
This reminds me... the new Streetfighter suffers from the same issue.
The mechanic at our local Duc shop has rather large feet, & he pointed out to me how the exhaust hinders proper foot positioning.
It's a shame that such a cool (& expensive) bike could have such a tiny detail overlooked that would cause such an issue.

post #20 of 34 Old 12-26-2009, 01:01 PM
no max no more

proper foot position my ass lol...when i riding down the highway im not going to ride on the balls of my feet or in the city just cruising around its looks stupid and feels un natural ...setting up for hard turns you adjust your body including you feet..next you will be having your ass stick out like a bitch on the back

post #21 of 34 Old 12-26-2009, 01:28 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
proper foot position my ass lol...when i riding down the highway im not going to ride on the balls of my feet or in the city just cruising around its looks stupid and feels un natural ...setting up for hard turns you adjust your body including you feet..next you will be having your ass stick out like a bitch on the back
nobody said it would be easy. Want to cruise in comfort - get a cruiser

post #22 of 34 Old 12-26-2009, 08:18 PM
no max no more

Quote:
nobody said it would be easy. Want to cruise in comfort - get a cruiser
i cruse in comfort thats the point..im not at the track or playing the part of joe racer in the street..keep you toes close to the brakes and shifter at all times when riding in the street..hard turns or track is a different story

post #23 of 34 Old 12-26-2009, 08:43 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
look at the positive side, one more reason to upgrade stock exhaust. They are actually forcing you
Unfortunately, that doesn't do any good in the making of more foot room... but I do like like your way of thinking .
The bike that our big-footed mechanic was riding was an 's' model with the CF Termi exhaust, still intruded on the heel space.

^ (this ain't him, just a pic I found for example purposes)

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #24 of 34 Old 12-27-2009, 04:47 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

Quote:
..keep you toes close to the brakes and shifter at all times when riding in the street..hard turns or track is a different story
That was my thinking. I keep my toes where they need to be in case some jerk makes a sudden move so I can counter it. I do adjust my foot position when I am going to enter a hard turn or riding the twisties.

post #25 of 34 Old 12-27-2009, 06:28 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
That was my thinking. I keep my toes where they need to be in case some jerk makes a sudden move so I can counter it. I do adjust my foot position when I am going to enter a hard turn or riding the twisties.
I an not going into whole "swerve vs brake" debate but an automatic reaction for the rear brake has more chances to get you in trouble than help you.
If you elect to swerve, rear brake will guarantee you a landing on your arse
If you elect to brake, you better make sure your bike is stable and you are under 35 mph to slam on your rear brakes as hard as on the front. Don't get me wrong, rear brake is important part of your bike and you need to use it, just use it wisely. So when some jerk makes a move on you, you want to make sure you feet are position properly to give you max control of your bike

As far as adjusting before going into a hard turn goes, it is a bad idea to cover your rear brake while going into ANY turn. How many times what seems like a light turn became " Oh sh**!!" turn in a split second? That's where
'lean and pray" technique should kick-in. Yes there is a trail braking and yes there are some pros who can do it with rear brake as well as with the front but unless you know how to trail brake and did it in this exact turn 100's of times before (should read race track here) I wouldn't do it. Even on the track, trail breaking can be a freaking disaster.
But again, YMMV.

post #26 of 34 Old 12-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

Quote:
I an not going into whole "swerve vs brake" debate... But again, YMMV.
Not trying to say my way is the right way or proper technique or anything like that. I was only trying to say what I do and why. If it's wrong, incorrect or improper so be it. I'm not looking for a debate.

Thanks for the explanation. I mean that sincerely, no sarcasm intended.

post #27 of 34 Old 12-27-2009, 12:16 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Add me to the list of riders who strategically place my feet all over the place.

There is no way that I could or would ever keep my feet in one position.

As pictured above, by another rider, I've also been know to use those passenger pegs as well.

post #28 of 34 Old 12-27-2009, 01:57 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
Not trying to say my way is the right way or proper technique or anything like that. I was only trying to say what I do and why. If it's wrong, incorrect or improper so be it. I'm not looking for a debate.

Thanks for the explanation. I mean that sincerely, no sarcasm intended.
no no no, when I said debate I didn't actually mean that we are debating. I meant an ongoing debate, kind of like chicken and the egg

post #29 of 34 Old 12-27-2009, 02:05 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJM View Post
There is no way that I could or would ever keep my feet in one position.

I'm with you on this one. This whole foot/body position, shifting habits etc is like table manners: there is a right way and there is the way I do it

post #30 of 34 Old 12-27-2009, 02:47 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Quote:
no no no, when I said debate I didn't actually mean that we are debating. I meant an ongoing debate, kind of like chicken and the egg
No worries. It's all good. :001_smile:
By the way, according to a shirt I have...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2427.jpg (98.5 KB, 12 views)

post #31 of 34 Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 PM
McTavish

Bad9One9, I hope your knee works out. I had a full reconstruction done 25 years ago and can still almost rest my butt on my heels - so there is hope for you yet, especially with modern day surgical techniques. Now to your question. On the road I move my feet around alot, like others seem to also. But I always have my foot rotated so I can easily get on the brake lever and easily choose an up or down shift. Rotate feet in to over levers for turns. More important though, IMO that is, is where you put your feet when you come to a stop. It seems to me that more people get into trouble when they plant their feet on the pavement in front of the pegs when they come to a stop and go to move ahead again and get their foot trapped, or hook their pant legs on the pegs when lifting their feet up off the pavement, get rattled and lose their balance.

post #32 of 34 Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD9one9 View Post
yeah, i live on the ocean too, so no one gets real crazy tucking into turns around here because theres sand everywhere.
Theres really no turns???? not even exit ramps??? or huge parking lots???? I'm gonna be moving to florida and am an avid knee dragging enthusiast. There must be something. I hear there is lots of tracks to do track days down there.

post #33 of 34 Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberjoe87 View Post
Theres really no turns???? not even exit ramps??? or huge parking lots???? I'm gonna be moving to florida and am an avid knee dragging enthusiast. There must be something. I hear there is lots of tracks to do track days down there.
Lots of Gators on the road to slalom around.

Dan
post #34 of 34 Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'll never forget one group ride I went on in central Missouri. A couple of the riders were so concerned with proper foot position, OMG, it was all I could do to get away from those kids AND RIDE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode