F*#!ing dogs! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 02-20-2014, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

F*#!ing dogs!

I love dogs, really I do, but I was damn near killed by a golden lab charging me on my ride in this morning. He got to within 6 inches of my left side and only barely pulled up at the last second. I only saw him once he was within about 20 feet of me (he saw me from a house and came at me down their driveway behind a small hill), so I didn't even have time to do anything more than try and slow down so that if I came off it'd be a slower fall (I was originally going about 50-55mph).

I thought about going over and having words with the owners, but decided I didn't need a fight (I was/still am super pissed) so I called animal control and reported the incident. That's the first time I've been charged, not a fun feeling. This area (semi-rural Virginia) has a lot fewer fences than where I grew up in California, so I see a lot more dogs wandering the area, but none of them have given me more than a perfunctory glance up to this point. I guess I'll just have to keep a better eye out so I can evade properly the next time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-20-2014, 05:55 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

Yeah, that feeling of getting charged out of nowhere definitely isn't fun. Glad nothing worse happened. I've debated carrying mace with me for just such occurrences. Stop and mace the #$it outta the dog and I'd bet he wouldn't charge you again.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #3 of 11 Old 02-20-2014, 07:22 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow919 View Post
Yeah, that feeling of getting charged out of nowhere definitely isn't fun.

Maybe he takes cash or check?

Glad you're okay!

post #4 of 11 Old 02-20-2014, 07:39 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Glad it didn't end badly for you. The worst experience I've had with a dog is a Border Collie named sox that was playing frisbie at the park with his owner decided to try to follow me home when I rode by, after 2 blocks I decided he wasn't going to turn around so I pulled over and waited for his person to catch up, he was actually a nice dog, shoulda kept going and kept him.

Dan
post #5 of 11 Old 02-20-2014, 07:50 AM
just send it.

Garage
I've had this happen more than a few times. Growing up as a backwoods hick, it was one of those things you got used to when you were learning to drive (a car). Just don't let them get in front of you and you are fine... unless you want to run them over.

Same principal applies on the bike. Slow down to let the dog catch up a bit, grip it 'n rip it. There is no way you shouldn't be able to out accelerate a dog... and if for some reason you cant... that's why you wear boots. Give him some incentive not to chase bikes.

Long story short. Glad you are okay. Hate to see someone dump their bike just to get mauled by a dog.

[This space for rent]
post #6 of 11 Old 02-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Aquilifer

Try it on a bicycle going 18MPH..................

post #7 of 11 Old 02-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Yeah, I know for a fact I can't outrun Angus on my bicycle

Dan
post #8 of 11 Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Killed one once when it tried charging me - it took my boot to the throat and I saw it fall over on the side of the road. I went back and found the owner and he said he was sorry and was actually glad the dang dog was dead.

But dang, my foot hurt for a week, and I was wearing thick hiking boots.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 11 Old 02-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Will fly for food.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
...was actually glad the dang dog was dead.
Must have been his wife's dog... I have a few neighbors like that

First time I ever rode home at night the biggest Golden Lab ran up out of no where and about made me soil myself.

Surprisingly, deer have been the nicest to me. I've had goats, cows, chickens, dogs, and cagers attempt to make me late to where I'm going. EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING is out to kill ya when you're on two wheels!

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #10 of 11 Old 02-21-2014, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Killed one once when it tried charging me - it took my boot to the throat and I saw it fall over on the side of the road. I went back and found the owner and he said he was sorry and was actually glad the dang dog was dead.

But dang, my foot hurt for a week, and I was wearing thick hiking boots.
Hmm, I think I'd rather kick the owner, but that might do in a pinch. The only thing I'd be worried about is hitting the dog with my foot in just the right way to snap my leg at the shin. I had a friend break his while playing soccer. He and another guy kicked the ball at exact same time and my friend's leg didn't win. I do wear steel-toed work boots, so maybe they'd give a little extra protection...

post #11 of 11 Old 02-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Milites Gregarius

Dogs and deer, I never ride at night because of them. Back in '75 I was testing a bike at night..Got through all the gears WFO, she was running good when I saw this black dot on the road...thought it was a June bug on the lamp, but it got bigger and closer. Turns out it wasn't a bug . I hit that German Shepard headlong.After a moment of darkness I heard a car in the distance and realized what happened ,kind of, I found the strength to get off the road , then found myself at home and sent my friends out to get the bike while I was off to the hospital.
The Shepard survived with a broken leg. I had the shifter go through my foot,in the top out the bottom, ripped all the flesh from one knee ,wasn't much left to stitch, and ended up on crutches and canes for months.
My friend showed up the next day and said he couldn't find the bike on the road that night, it seems that I pushed it home and I still don't remember doing that.
Dogs and bikes don't mix and you can't always get away from them. I'm just glad that it wasn't a deer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode