.. or this might happen to you

[youtube]vAoeJUKg36g[/youtube]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 04:31 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Thats some fancy helicopter work in between those trees! Hope the clown is dead to save on chopper maintenance.

post #3 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Holy Crap!!! that was painful to me just watching it. when it started sure didn't think it was going to involve another 2 wheeler any word on how bad the injuries were?

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE

post #4 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver1 View Post
Thats some fancy helicopter work in between those trees! Hope the clown is dead to save on chopper maintenance.
What about the opposing rider minding his own biz in the middle of the lane?

post #5 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

the helo will still need maintenance whether the guy croaked or not. that's an
ec-135 just to start both engines costs about $500 not to mention the hourly costs of maint. crew, and without the cost of jet A which here is about $5 a gallon. i'm sure wherever in europe this stupid incident occured it is MUCH more than that. and that thing burns more than a gallon of it a minute.

post #6 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 05:04 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
What about the opposing rider minding his own biz in the middle of the lane?
Thats too bad if he was doing the speed limit and sober, looks like everyone was racing there, kinda like a Euro Deals Gap road. I got no sympathy for people racing sportbikes on the street over their heads and causing injury's, property damage, costing us money to scrape them up and take care of the family's.

post #7 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd31goalie View Post
any word on how bad the injuries were?
According to the comments on the video, the guy that caused it (the one recording it) lived. The other rider (the innocent one) died instantly. It happened in Hungary.

post #8 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

with over 20 years in ems it seems the innocent ones are the ones that die or are horribly injured while the effing idiots experience minor injuries if any at all. i feel sorry for the innocent victim(s)

post #9 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 08:52 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Where's the sister vid to it ? You know. Don't pass on blind hills?

post #10 of 25 Old 05-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

When the video started I assumed he was going to hit a car. As soon as he went head on into another bike I shut off the computer -- it brought back a very bad memory of an accident I was in. The only difference is it was the other guy, way over in my lane in a blind corner, died. And it was a year before my left arm worked well enough to ride again. Christ, I'm still shaking and it's been 30 years since the accident, and the better part of a day since I watched the video.
Perversely, the road where it happened is still one of my favorites, and I'm leading a ride on it on the 18th. Look for the announcement in the Open Bike Discussion "Periodic Ride" thread.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #11 of 25 Old 05-06-2008, 03:01 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Well, I just had my Oh crap momnet for the day ! Man, thats why I dont do those roads on the weekend, you never know what kind of crap you will see when all the suids get out there ---

post #12 of 25 Old 05-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Cafe Racer

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

Man that's what track days are for.

post #13 of 25 Old 05-06-2008, 03:33 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Was it just me, or did the roads looks dampish ? Regardless, way too fast for the street !

post #14 of 25 Old 05-07-2008, 12:00 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
When the video started I assumed he was going to hit a car. As soon as he went head on into another bike I shut off the computer -- it brought back a very bad memory of an accident I was in. The only difference is it was the other guy, way over in my lane in a blind corner, died. And it was a year before my left arm worked well enough to ride again. Christ, I'm still shaking and it's been 30 years since the accident, and the better part of a day since I watched the video.
Perversely, the road where it happened is still one of my favorites, and I'm leading a ride on it on the 18th. Look for the announcement in the Open Bike Discussion "Periodic Ride" thread.

Rob
Rob,
I kinda wanted the details but didn't want to ask.
Here's the wierd part, when I watched that clip after our ride on Sunday, the first thing I thought of was your incident, and while shopping a little later, I heard that there was another head-on bike crash on GMR last weekend, from a guy that works at the store. He rides his RSV on GMR often and knows one of the guys involved. Apparently, a less experienced rider went wide on a blind turn and ran into an older, more experienced rider. He knew the second rider and had rode and learned from him. Unfortunately his friend did not survive, but the guy at fault suffered a broken shoulder.
Creepy.

Mike

post #15 of 25 Old 05-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokali919 View Post
Rob,
Here's the wierd part, when I watched that clip after our ride on Sunday, the first thing I thought of was your incident, and while shopping a little later, I heard that there was another head-on bike crash on GMR last weekend, from a guy that works at the store. He rides his RSV on GMR often and knows one of the guys involved. Apparently, a less experienced rider went wide on a blind turn and ran into an older, more experienced rider. He knew the second rider and had rode and learned from him. Unfortunately his friend did not survive, but the guy at fault suffered a broken shoulder.
Creepy.

Mike
**** THAT... i'm done with "spirited" street riding. the guy i was following home the night i wrecked has had 5 OTHER riders go down behind him on group rides he was leading since. no, it was not his fault i or any others wrecked, i got sucked into riding over my head to keep up so i did not get lost, as this donkey-butt likes to blow stop signs and turns without waiting for the group, even when that group is only one person (as was my case).

post #16 of 25 Old 05-08-2008, 11:05 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

Three weeks ago I came upon a Harley Boy wreak. It looks like one stopped to pee and then tried to catch up. He was going so fast he left rubber 75 feet before he rear ended a GoldWing with 2 riders aboard going around 55 mph. He sailed over the GW and landed off to one side in the pavement. The GW lurched forward but, didn't lose control.
I tried checking on him later,but, hospitals won't give out any info. They airlifted him 50 miles to a large Unit. The Trooper said if he made it he would really be lucky. The group said they lost another rider about 40 miles back when he hit a ditch.

[
post #17 of 25 Old 05-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Rob,
Creepy.

Mike
The guy was wrong about location and some details.
Apparently the crash was 2 weeks ago on Big Tujunga Canyon.
The rider at fault was riding a 919, came around a rigth hand sweeper too wide and into opposite lane, where he hit the second rider on an R1 head-on killing him instantly. The 919 rider died in the hospital.
The guys at Cycle Depot (my parts source) knew the R1 rider; he used to go on their Sunday rides often.
There's a thread about it on advrider.com with pics. I can't find it though

post #18 of 25 Old 05-10-2008, 04:58 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

At any rate this is a good thing for everyone to see, I only wish there was more blood, guts, crying, and close up gory detail to really turn your stomach.

Every owner of every bike forum and group ride organizer should show this to it's members just to get it in their heads. Every motel in the Deals Gap area should require every biker to watch it is well before they can get any food!

post #19 of 25 Old 05-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Truly sad. The guy was over his head and "target fixation" took place. Sucks to be the innocent rider!

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #20 of 25 Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 PM

Awards Showcase

OK
Found the link for the Angeles Crest Highway head-on bike crash my friend was talking about.

CAUTION: Includes pictures from crash site.
Viewer be advised.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....3&postcount=72

Very sad. Just goes to prove, when your number is called, there's no hiding.

Please be safe out there, and save the racing for the track.

post #21 of 25 Old 05-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
OK
Found the link for the Angeles Crest Highway head-on bike crash my friend was talking about.

CAUTION: Includes pictures from crash site.
Viewer be advised.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....3&postcount=72

Very sad. Just goes to prove, when your number is called, there's no hiding.

Please be safe out there, and save the racing for the track.
Looks like one of those bikes is a Gixer and the other one is definetly a 919. Wow nasty one for sure... it hits you hard when you see that there's a body under as sheet.

post #22 of 25 Old 05-20-2008, 10:26 PM
aka Jungle Boy

That is F'd up!

No wonder why I refuse to ride up Palomar on weekends.

post #23 of 25 Old 05-25-2008, 10:29 PM

Awards Showcase

Just a reminder, a lot of WT members frequently ride canyon roads, so please do not pass on blind turns.

post #24 of 25 Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 PM

Awards Showcase

Bump

post #25 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

I spoke with a cyclist that watched in horror as a cage was looking down at a map while passing them on the outside of blind hairpin turn! Coming the other way was a small motorcycle group with the nubie woman leading at a slow pace (fortunately!). She went off the road to avoid the head on and went over the guard rail! Broken ribs but didn't justify to her a $20k medivac/hospital trip. She was very fortunate!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode