Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Do I need a helmet?

6K views 68 replies 32 participants last post by  Devin4242 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I wonder if there's anyone on this forum that doesn't wear a helmet.

#16 ·
I think it would have been clearer to point out the reduced use of helmets by cruiser riders (in some states) rather than mention HD. Truth is many of these cruisers aren't HD's but are Stars, etc.

I have only been exposed to the no helmet states around and to and from my cottage in Delaware, so PA and Delaware. There is no question that I see many more cruiser riders with no helmet versus sport bike riders and even the squids. Based on the comments here, perhaps it's not this way everywhere across the country.

#20 ·
What really makes me go hmmm is to see a sport bike rider wearing a full face helmet, shorts, tank top and sneakers. Protect the head screw the rest of the body.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Or an icon vest, full lid and shorts/sneaks

#24 ·
According to what I can find, most cycle accidents happen within 10-15 miles from home, so be careful on those short runs! May be more from complacency in familiar surroundings than other factors.

I live in Iowa where there is no helmet law. I ride occasionally with some buddies who own cruisers, and attend some local events. By a wide margin they are more apt to ride without gear, save for the ubiquitous Sons of Anarchy tshirts and such than other bikers. Not judging, it's just what I see. We have our fair share of squids as well.

As much as Harley is mentioned, why do I see the squids more on gixxers than other sport bikes? Again, just an observation in my neck of the woods...

A positive trend is taking place over the last couple years, where guys are getting into the nicer gear on the market, and wearing it as much as they are tricking out their bikes.

#25 ·
According to what I can find, most cycle accidents happen within 10-15 miles from home, so be careful on those short runs! May be more from complacency in familiar surroundings than other factors.
I've seen this statistic everywhere, and I've always thought: isn't it much more likely to be in an accident near your house because you're within 10 miles of your house 100% more often than you're within 10 miles of anything else?

#26 ·
You know that saying where there are only two types of riders? Ones that have went down and ones that will go down? Here's the followup. There are only two types of riders: ones that were glad they had gear on and ones that wished they had gear on. Wear your helmet. Wear your gear. It's your defense against other people's stupidity on the roads.

#27 ·
You know that saying where there are only two types of riders? Ones that have went down and ones that will go down? Here's the followup. There are only two types of riders: ones that were glad they had gear on and ones that wished they had gear on. Wear your helmet. Wear your gear. It's your defense against other people's stupidity on the roads.
That thar is a good post! :clap:

#34 · (Edited)
No helmet law in Texas (if you carry the appropriate level of insurance), TONS, I repeat TONS of squids in Houston.

I gotta say, I see just as many squids on gixxers as HD/cruiser riders going helmet-less around here.

I once saw a guy on a metric cruiser with a helmet, no shirt and NO SHOES.

#40 ·
I think everyone should be able to make their own mistakes, but I'll be damned if you crack your head open and the public has to pay your bill because you don't have enough insurance.
I think it's been mentioned here before, but if you make the decision to ride without protection and without insurance and you wreck, too bad, you get to rot. There's far too many people that make mistakes only to get rewarded by the government footing the bill, whether it be this, or getting knocked up in high school or whatever... When you make mistakes, you get to live with them, or at least that's how it should be.

#43 ·
Also, from a practical standpoint, stupidity of that level *should* be painful or fatal. We all agree that there are too many stupid people in the world - this can be remedied by allowing stupid people to kill themselves off.

#44 ·
Darwinism at its finest

#53 ·
It's starting to get cold up here and I love seeing all the riders without one freezing their face off. The grimace on their faces it priceless. However they do look really cool and isn't that all that matters. I just laugh from inside my nice warm helmet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.