distracted cagers! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

distracted cagers!

I had a very interesting meeting with LEO to discuss raising awareness of distracted cagers.

The PO clarified even if they see a distracted cager (applying makeup, watching backseat kids, reading etc.) he cannot pull them over until they violate a specific DMV code, IE crossing double yellow illegal lane change. Being a motorcycle PO he appreciated the same concern as they don't watch out for him either creating close calls! So he was motivated to provide immediate "feedback" on their errors.

PO discussed driver's education must be reinforced in high school. They have a school program randomly grabbing a kid every 15minutes (national death rate), taking them to a morgue, making them present a report to the rest of the class. They also show accident, alert and defensive driving videos. That's an excellent program!

The cage cell phone law loophole, texting becomes illegal January! That will prevent future train wrecks!

A driver's awareness mailer with gory accident pix and liability cost statistics will make a positive improvement. The DMV code must tighten to catch distracted/dangerous cagers BEFORE they hurt someone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Thank you for the effort -- god knows we need many more drivers who take operating a vehicle more seriously, and if it takes laws and trips to the morgue, well, so be it. I wonder if the random trips to the morgue will generate lawsuits filed by parents afraid of the effect reality will have on their kids.

Frankly, I'd like to see a requirement that in order to get a license to drive a car it would be necessary to ride a small motorcycle for a year first: at the very least the number of drivers would be decreased due to the number who can't or won't ride, the ones who did fulfill the requirement would almost certainly notice motorcycles much better than now, and public transit would get a major shot in the arm. A win win win.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Rob

post #3 of 17 Old 11-21-2008, 10:05 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

The only loophole I see in this whole debate is that around here, the cops are some of the worst about driving while on the cell phone, weaving through traffic, not signaling, etc.

Sorta kinda on the same topic, but maybe not really...
I had an interesting conversation with a local cop a few weeks ago. I was heading out the garage on the bike when he pulls up in my driveway. Apparently he needed a place to stop while he was writing an order to have the neighbor's truck towed because the back bumper was hanging out just over the edge of the street. He was polite, told me what he was doing, and said sorry as he moved his car, but I had to say something to him. I asked him why he was worried about 6 inches of a neighbor's truck hanging in the road...a dead end at that, which had broken down in his own driveway, when I thought he needed to be doing something more important like searching for people selling drugs to kids and crazy drivers. He laughed it off but I could tell he was mad.

They towed my neighbor's truck and charged him a $175 ticket plus he had to pay another $200 to get it out of the police impound. What a load of crap. I even offered to wake the neighbor up and help him push it the rest of the way into the driveway.

Too many police encounters like this make me sad to see that those who are there to 'serve and protect' are really servants of the local government helping this poor city stay in the black with piddly tickets.

Press Any Key To Continue.

post #4 of 17 Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Thank you for the effort -- god knows we need many more drivers who take operating a vehicle more seriously, and if it takes laws and trips to the morgue, well, so be it. I wonder if the random trips to the morgue will generate lawsuits filed by parents afraid of the effect reality will have on their kids.

Frankly, I'd like to see a requirement that in order to get a license to drive a car it would be necessary to ride a small motorcycle for a year first: at the very least the number of drivers would be decreased due to the number who can't or won't ride, the ones who did fulfill the requirement would almost certainly notice motorcycles much better than now, and public transit would get a major shot in the arm. A win win win.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Rob
Thanks for the props! It's my pleasure to help and having a strong interest in road safety. I like your idea, plus everyone with a DUI should only be allowed to ride a small bike.

post #5 of 17 Old 11-21-2008, 04:27 PM

These ones from England are pretty effective... we need a campaign like this here!!!
[YOUTUBE]lsJs4AYa8sU[/YOUTUBE]

There's a whole series of them , and some from other EU countries that are really graphic. I think it's important that people see these types of things happening out of nowhere, to normal people and how destructive it really is.

post #6 of 17 Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

6 out of 10 cars, every day, are on the cell phones(hand to ear).
Blatant disregard for the law!
And paying no attention to traffic.
They need to enforce the law & raise the fine to $300.00 for the first offense.

post #7 of 17 Old 11-22-2008, 08:32 AM
No life like low life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
The only loophole I see in this whole debate is that around here, the cops are some of the worst about driving while on the cell phone, weaving through traffic, not signaling, etc.
Same here. You almost never see a cop drivin around without a cell phone to his ear. Now think if that officer causes an accident, who do you think he is going to point the finger at? The other person of course! Even if you can prove that it is their fault without a shadow of a doubt it dosnt matter cause they are not liable to cover any damages. The govment fixes their car and you get the shaft. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Knees in the breeze!
post #8 of 17 Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by corypark View Post
These ones from England are pretty effective... we need a campaign like this here!!!
There's a whole series of them , and some from other EU countries that are really graphic. I think it's important that people see these types of things happening out of nowhere, to normal people and how destructive it really is.
Thanks for the awesome video! We SHOULD play those on prime time, it's novelty with driver-side backwards so people will pay attention. Unfortunately you have recent experience with this BS and I am very grateful you are here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
+1 The PO went into a defensive rant quoting a bogus 95% cell phone law compliance stats. I calmly let him know violators see him first. However me on my stealthy bike or bicycle see the violators first and it's not pretty. Studies have been done and the brain is not multi tasking, so hands free or not cell drivers are as distracted as those that are drunk and it should not be allowed.

My motivation is finding ways to wake up catatonic cagers not to rag on LEO. They have an extremely tough job and I would never trade with them. They have regulations. I thank every PO I meet.

post #9 of 17 Old 11-22-2008, 09:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I agree. I put 25,000 miles a year on my work truck in the SoCal area and the recent law has changed nothing. Most frightening is the current in-flux of young drivers who are constantly TEXTING on their cells, they aren't even looking at the road! I see this every day.

Personally, I'm willing to give LEO's a break because of what they do. And the fact that they go through very intensive driver training. I've never seen a PO being a traffic obstacle/problem because they were on their cell or laptop.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #10 of 17 Old 11-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Unmarked - motorcycle/bicycle/pedestrian - safety task force.
Named...Unmarked Assisting Safety Service
or u ass for short.

post #11 of 17 Old 11-22-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
I agree. I put 25,000 miles a year on my work truck in the SoCal area and the recent law has changed nothing. Most frightening is the current in-flux of young drivers who are constantly TEXTING on their cells, they aren't even looking at the road! I see this every day.
January 1st No more DWT! But the law needs TEETH and automatic enforcement. The only silver lining... after being hit by cell/text idiot your relatives get to live in their house.
http://www.textfreedriving.org/index.html

Quote:
Unmarked - motorcycle/bicycle/pedestrian - safety task force. Named...Unmarked Assisting Safety Service
or u ass for short.
Catchy, fill out the petition!

post #12 of 17 Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

the only cell phone laws in KY are that you cannot use a cell phone while driving a school bus (unless your bus doesn't have a CB radio), and a new driver who still has their permit cannot use a phone while driving.

I caught myself yesterday driving down the bypass talking on the phone with one hand, eating fries with the other, and driving with my knees. Just kidding. I did see someone eating a bowl of cereal driving down the Audubon once. That looked pretty dumb.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

yesterday on I595 i saw a female reading something out of a notebook while she texted something on her blackberry... shocked me so bad i dropped my big mac and almost spilled my beer... and i was on my bike...just kidding... i wasnt drinking...beer

post #14 of 17 Old 02-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Tire abuser

I would like to see people get more tickets for changing lanes without signalling or checking. As far as I'm concerned, when someone drifts into my lane without signalling, it's attempted negligent homicide. I don't understand why speeding is treated like a capital crime, but nearly killing motorcyclists on the highway is considered a minor offense - not worth enforcing.

Our laws are enforced based on profitablity and prosecutability, not public safety. I don't understand how the police earned the right to choose which laws to enforce. I don't care how fast people drive when they are on the open highway, away from other traffic; I do care that at least half of drivers don't use their turn signals all the time and think that almost running me over is only worth a sheepish shrug. People who can't merge, pass, or negotiate an intersection without almost killing someone have no business driving a car.

post #15 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Not as bad as some stupid beeyuch doing a U-turn across 4 lanes from the apex of a blind right turn after she picks up her kid from school.

I just wish the guy (another parent parked a couple of cars in front of her) that said something when I kicked her car hadn't chickened out when the guy driving the cage behind me told him to STFU and get out of the road. I just want to test the knuckle protection of the Primus on some idiot driver's face...

post #16 of 17 Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokali View Post
Not as bad as some stupid beeyuch doing a U-turn across 4 lanes from the apex of a blind right turn after she picks up her kid from school.

I just wish the guy (another parent parked a couple of cars in front of her) that said something when I kicked her car hadn't chickened out when the guy driving the cage behind me told him to STFU and get out of the road. I just want to test the knuckle protection of the Primus on some idiot driver's face...

lol... the other day on the way back from tk919's house i was southbound on I95 in the hov lane driving with traffic and some a$$head in a new BMW X5 suv passed me on the LEFT.. halfway in the hov lane and halfway on the shoulder... (scared the "poop" outta me) i layed on the horn he slammed the brakes and shot me the finger and laughed... *my inner demon awoke..... traffic slows on cue to about 10-12 i pull up and knocked the driver side mirror off his truck... i tried to get him to pull over on the shoulder so we could exchange insurance info.. but he wouldnt for some reason... i hate stupid people.. p.s. joe rocket gauntlets in xl are great gloves and protect the hand/fist area very well..

post #17 of 17 Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
lol... the other day on the way back from tk919's house i was southbound on I95 in the hov lane driving with traffic and some a$$head in a new BMW X5 suv passed me on the LEFT.. halfway in the hov lane and halfway on the shoulder... (scared the "poop" outta me) i layed on the horn he slammed the brakes and shot me the finger and laughed... *my inner demon awoke..... traffic slows on cue to about 10-12 i pull up and knocked the driver side mirror off his truck... i tried to get him to pull over on the shoulder so we could exchange insurance info.. but he wouldnt for some reason... i hate stupid people.. p.s. joe rocket gauntlets in xl are great gloves and protect the hand/fist area very well..
I've only had to punch a mirror once, most of the time I open hand them. This b---- actually tried to push me out of the way with a full-size SUV.

FYI The big mirrors on the Chevy SUVs are 3 piece: the galss, motor, and housing. The motor is the heaviest and usually lands first.

Hope that helps...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode