Device could save you! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 04-30-2008, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Device could save you!

Finally marine satellite rescue technology mass produced! If you travel anywhere alone this device could save you suffering and even your life! There are numerous cases of solo riders disappearing after a fall and not being found for months. This device can track your location every ten minutes to narrow the search area and has an emergency call button.

http://www.findmespot.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2008, 09:56 AM
lusting over something...

I read about this in a cycle world mag... My gf wants me to get one for my trip to CA..

post #3 of 10 Old 04-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

It's the Man, trying to track you!!!!

j/k...looks like a lifesaver if you're into that solo adventure schtuff. Like that guy that had to cut his own arm off with his Swiss Army knife...

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking

post #4 of 10 Old 04-30-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelnick View Post
It's the Man, trying to track you!!!!

j/k...looks like a lifesaver if you're into that solo adventure schtuff. Like that guy that had to cut his own arm off with his Swiss Army knife...
That unfortunate cyclist should be their poster child! He waited ~four days in vain for a rescue before cutting his arm off! Even though it won't work in a cave, having the tracking history would narrow the search.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

One of our local marines could have used that. Riding solo in Palomar one Saturday, he went off the side of a 3,000 ft drop off. He wasn't found until Monday. He was found by a bicyclist that noticed his bike on the side of the ridge. The marines is alright, just a few minor injuries thankfully.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #6 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

The new ad for this will be ... "I fallen somewhere that no one knows where I'm at and I can't get up!"

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #7 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

People have been using these for quite awhile now. Most of the testing I've seen is quite favorable, because unlike cellular, these will often still get a signal in canyons and ravines. IIRC, you can also send your location to google, so friends and family can see where you are. I will probably get one once I get to Alaska. Nice thing to have in the backpocket if the stuff hits the fan...

-Joe
post #8 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
People have been using these for quite awhile now. Most of the testing I've seen is quite favorable, because unlike cellular, these will often still get a signal in canyons and ravines. IIRC, you can also send your location to google, so friends and family can see where you are.
I used a cell prototype before and it had horrible coverage in trees or in remote (non-cell) zones. Although one nifty feature they had was "geo fence email alert". After a preset boundary was crossed an email would be sent to anyone you designated. This was very handy to monitor car repairman joy driving your car, or if you sail off course and can't push the alarm.

Being tracked keeps you honest. Don't tell your wife you are working late when you are partying at the club.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
One of our local marines could have used that. Riding solo in Palomar one Saturday, he went off the side of a 3,000 ft drop off. He wasn't found until Monday. He was found by a bicyclist that noticed his bike on the side of the ridge. The marines is alright, just a few minor injuries thankfully.
Wow! That Dude is very lucky his bike didn't go with him, and there was a very conscientious cyclist that saved him! Hanging on the side of Palomar for two days wasn't a picnic! I camped there in school.

This device provides folks a safety net to exercise/travel solo.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Here's an article from the Anchorage Daily News on the Spot. Coverage needs to be improved for Alaska, but it is supposedly on the way.

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/craig_me...ry/256352.html

-Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode