Cruiser ride death - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 04-13-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Angry Cruiser ride death

http://cbs5.com/local/los.gatos.crash.2.698698.html

Apparently traffic slowed on the freeway for a group of cruisers. Unfortunately one of the riders wasn't paying attention rear ended another then flipped into the next lane. Then he was crushed by a van that did nothing to avoid him! The Driver didn't stay around for the police report, thus Hit and Run! The riders were not ATGATT which compounded injuries.

PSA: Don't leave home without ATGATT and pay attention to avoid lethal chain reactions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-13-2008, 09:22 PM
919 City Pilot

sorry for the noob terminology wtf is "ATGATT"

ah nevermind......you need pretty good duds when a Chrylser runs your ass over.

post #3 of 33 Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Did a search -- All The Gear All The Time. The most important? Thorough training and focus on the task at hand.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------

post #4 of 33 Old 04-13-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegjumpflyer View Post
sorry for the noob terminology wtf is "ATGATT"

ah nevermind......you need pretty good duds when a Chrylser runs your ass over.
Two other riders survived with injuries, that would have been reduced with better gear. Granted for the guy that died nothing would have saved him after the fatal mistake of falling in front of the Van (probably on a phone call). Hope the HnR driver is caught and faces the music!

post #5 of 33 Old 04-14-2008, 03:52 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Hate to say it in this tragic event, but just how many cruiser riders do you see wearing gear ever? At least around here that's the case, rarely a helmet, occasionally a leather jacket, but usually just tshirts and jeans. Sport bike riders seem to wear helmets about 75% of the time, cruisers maybe 10% on a good day.

post #6 of 33 Old 04-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I hate seeing cruisers and "Harley" riders that ride side-by-side in the same lane and close packed!

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #7 of 33 Old 04-14-2008, 06:14 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
I hate seeing cruisers and "Harley" riders that ride side-by-side in the same lane and close packed!
After many years I have concluded they have a "False Sense of Security".
Maybe cause they don't go 90 mph nothing is going to happen to them.
I refuse to partake in charity, christmas, toy, poker run type events with Cruiser bikes for that reason.
I have witnessed, as others no doubt have, them running into each other cause they love looking at themselfs in window reflections riding by, especially the "ChopperHeads" those biks are Dangerous enough without having to make a panic stop or quick turn...........

post #8 of 33 Old 04-14-2008, 06:44 AM
No life like low life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Side by side, maybe not the best idea, I do it with some of my close riding buddies because I trust them. Staggered is probably better. Admitted.
But riding in a tight group
(People that you trust and have proved to be good riders)
I believe is a good thing. I feel safer in a tight pack because I think cars are more likely to see a pack of bikes, than several bikes that are spaced out.
After being involved in a head on collision with an SUV that turned left into me (not in front of me) I cant stress enough the importance of being seen.
Everyone says that they are looking for a car or something that size and their eyes just skim over or look past a small motorcycle. I think this is B/S because we always have headlights on, and part of driving is making SURE the coast is clear before pulling out or crossing the oncoming lane. If you cant handle something as simple as that you have no business being on the road!
That stupid B**** that hit me got a $30 right of way fine and I spent almost a week in the hospital, and 3 months in a wheel chair and I will never be the same. She probably went home and forgot about it the next day.
Sorry, bit of a sore subject for me. I got a little of track. Riding in a pack is not always bad if you trust the people you ride with.

Knees in the breeze!
post #9 of 33 Old 04-14-2008, 07:11 AM

i don't mind riding with cruisers. i usually stay at the end of the pack though and keep my space.

some cruiser riders are skilled and intelligent and well trained but the bike slows them down. others are just idiots. but the same goes with sport bikes =]

post #10 of 33 Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Heavy and maneuver handicapped cruisers are MUCH more challenging to ride safely than my docile 9r. All us riders must never forget to constantly sample our vision (MSF-101) in front and on the sides to allow ample room. In a group ride it's more critical to allow adequate spacing. If the poor RIP guy made the mistake on a lonely highway it would have just been a few raspberries and something to laugh about, but on the busy auto-pilot freeway the penalty was death.

The article clarified a female passenger was hurt badly. Please don't let a passenger on your bike without ATGATT!

post #11 of 33 Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

MOST of the time when I see Cruiser rides stop for lunch they have drinks. I hope it wasn't a factor, but considering the critical lapse of judgement mistakes it wouldn't be surprising.

post #12 of 33 Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
MOST of the time when I see Cruiser rides stop for lunch they have drinks. I hope it wasn't a factor, but considering the critical lapse of judgement mistakes it wouldn't be surprising.
You can't hold everyones hand and tell them to be safe. They are all grups (grownups) and know the score. If it comes down to meeting Mr. D, they will see the error in their ways and it probably won't hurt anywhere as much as being sober.

Young guy died within the last 4 days here. Going about a buck ten on Highway 101 near Fairview. Don't know all the details, but it boils down to dead is dead is dead.
If I get an incurable, I hope I go out on a bike, not doped up feeling no pain.

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #13 of 33 Old 04-14-2008, 07:34 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Space out keep your intervals, your least likely to get ambushed that way. Gotta say I don`t like when cruisers ride bunched up they try to own to much of the road when they do that.

post #14 of 33 Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Hate to say it in this tragic event, but just how many cruiser riders do you see wearing gear ever? At least around here that's the case, rarely a helmet, occasionally a leather jacket, but usually just tshirts and jeans. Sport bike riders seem to wear helmets about 75% of the time, cruisers maybe 10% on a good day.
Here in Socal, never. And just this week with the hot weather I've seen a dozen sportbike riders with t-shirt and shorts on.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #15 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I also hate to say it cuz i wanted a harley originally but it is true. Here in jersey the law requires a helmet. Some of the cruiser guys bite the bullet and buy a DOT approved turtle shell, none wear a full face mask, but most opt for the flimsy WWII throw-back replica helmet that for all intents and purpose would serve better as a bowl for salsa or your choice of dip.
The only gear i have ever seen guys on the cruisers are panama jack sunglasses and a spare tire around their midsection. I see more and more guys dressed to look the part as opposed to dressing to save the parts. i saw a guy go down on a road king in a gravely turn on Clinton road (well known in jersey and good road for twisties) guy had shin bone protruding from his Levis and his aviators scraped up his face because of no face shield. Mind you his crash was less than 20 Mph.
This bothers me greatly because my younger brother(cant call him little anymore) decided to purchase a vtx1300 as his first bike! Having 5 years of saddle time i did what i could to stop him from making that mistake, but he's no kid and about as stubborn as a mule. So i try to educate him but he refuses to knuckle down and find suitable armor. His lame excuse is lack of money and that he only rides 100 miles every two months if he's lucky. But he is more than happy to rocket out there with jeans, t shirt, and his cool guy fingerless leather gloves. I may not have top notch gear but i dont ride with out bare minimum of work boots, riding gloves, and if i have to wear jeans i try to layer under them no matter what the weather. This by no means makes me unscaveable but it gives me a hell of alot more time i can slide before its 6 o'clock shadow vs asphalt time. If the cruiser guys that dont ride with ATGATT would start being the first guy on the block with a harley AND some real gear(not just bandanas that say harley...) maybe they would all follow suit. So we dont have to keep reading these horror stories about anymore people losing riding time or lives to lack of gear... please be the first guy that has an ameri-cruiser AND maybe a full face helmet or possibly kevlar jeans?

post #16 of 33 Old 05-05-2008, 06:12 AM

if you still need to "look cool" while riding many companies like bohn and kneedraggers make good under your clothes armor

i esp like the bohn stuff

no that's not me =] its from their website http://bohnarmor.com

post #17 of 33 Old 05-05-2008, 06:15 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Its funny - Harley riders spend 500/1000 bucks on leather and 15 bucks on a helmet. Squidly sportbike riders spend 600/800 bucks on a racer rep helmet and gloves, but, then ride in wife beaters and flip flops - There has to be some sort of middle gound ---

post #18 of 33 Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

This is why you should always wear a full face helmet. Notice where the majority of impacts occur.

post #19 of 33 Old 05-05-2008, 06:47 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Could be wrong but I think there's laws against wearing helmets riding Choppers! Most rare to see that around here for some reason.

post #20 of 33 Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Friends call me scooter

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I love it when you see guys around here riding there sport bikes in a t-shirt and shorts and their helmet is attached their bike while they're riding it...like that's gonna do them any good.

post #21 of 33 Old 05-05-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp919 View Post
I love it when you see guys around here riding there sport bikes in a t-shirt and shorts and their helmet is attached their bike while they're riding it...like that's gonna do them any good.
That's bad enough, but what chaps my *** is when they are giving a ride to their SO without ANY gear! A long time ago, before helmet laws, I was being passed by a tshirt couple at seventy, so I picked up the pace until they sobered. They were entertaining to watch in triple digits squinting and turning their heads sideways with their shirts flapping. No reason to encourage the Idiots, so I never repeated that.

post #22 of 33 Old 05-09-2008, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

NV has a VERY high percentage of no-glove/tshirt/short/flip-flop riders! So sad and unnecessary!

If we each pledge to motivate one noobie/naive rider per quarter to wear gear, we could save many riders' injuries and their early sport retirement.

post #23 of 33 Old 05-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
That's bad enough, but what chaps my *** is when they are giving a ride to their SO without ANY gear! A long time ago, before helmet laws, I was being passed by a tshirt couple at seventy, so I picked up the pace until they sobered. They were entertaining to watch in triple digits squinting and turning their heads sideways with their shirts flapping. No reason to encourage the Idiots, so I never repeated that.

What, you mean a t back and thong arent proper riding attire ?

post #24 of 33 Old 05-09-2008, 01:37 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

When you are riding from North to South Carolina, stop at the SC visitor center and watch the Harley riders stop, take off their skid lid, strap them to a knee and continue on.
post #25 of 33 Old 05-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Tired One

Thinking about all the cruisers I pass on my way to work each day, I think the majority of them are actually wearing helmets even though it's not required. Perhaps this stems from the fact that they use the bike for transportation rather than just pure recreation?

post #26 of 33 Old 05-09-2008, 03:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

it'd be great if we could get all the hot weather states to mandate atgatt for a year or two just to see who actually drops from overheating. Granted there's a diff between adequate gear and under protection but I'm curious how bad it would be.

post #27 of 33 Old 05-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
When you are riding from North to South Carolina, stop at the SC visitor center and watch the Harley riders stop, take off their skid lid, strap them to a knee and continue on.
When Kentucky had a helmet law and Indiana didn't I'd see guys going across the Ohio River Bridge taking their helmet off and hanging it on their mirror.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #28 of 33 Old 05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

The real question behind all of this is as follows:

Should motorcyclists that become injured as a result of not wearing a helmet be eligible for publically funded benefits (various forms of medicaid, disability, etc..)?

The real reason for helmet laws, seat belt laws, smoking laws and all the other laws is not about protecting us from ourselves. It is about protecting us all from having to support people who injure themselves in this way and end up wards of the state.

post #29 of 33 Old 05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Sometimes it's refreshing :shrug:

2 > 4
post #30 of 33 Old 05-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Imaginifer

What gets me is all of the riders that want to be the bad ass individule but then insist on wearing the same uniform. I think once you buy into the company they dress you in your uniform with out any safety in mind and send you on your cool way.
I also know several groups of cruiser riders and I count myself among them that are ATGATT and don't ride with people that aren't smart enough to protect themselves.

Paul

Live to ride, but ride to ride another day!
post #31 of 33 Old 05-10-2008, 03:37 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Most HD people today are caricatures of themselves. Many of them embrace the HD for the lifestyle is represents which, like a suburban white kid that claims to be street wise, they never really understand or are a part of. Just fools with too much money riding big heavy bikes and wearing expensive leather outfits. ndividualism isn't somthing you "do" it is something you "are". True individualism makes you a misfit in this society becase as much as Americans claim to embrace rugged individualism, we are really a country of conformists.

post #32 of 33 Old 05-10-2008, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post

Should motorcyclists that become injured as a result of not wearing a helmet be eligible for publically funded benefits (various forms of medicaid, disability, etc..)?

The real reason for helmet laws, seat belt laws, smoking laws and all the other laws is not about protecting us from ourselves. It is about protecting us all from having to support people who injure themselves in this way and end up wards of the state.
You are spot on Async! IMO public coffers must NOT be accessed by folks not taking gear precautions! There should be much lower insurance rates for those that are ATGATT than those that aren't. If you enjoy the lower rates and are in an accident without gear your policy is voided.

post #33 of 33 Old 05-10-2008, 02:53 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post

Quote:
You are spot on Async! IMO public coffers must NOT be accessed by folks not taking gear precautions! There should be much lower insurance rates for those that are ATGATT than those that aren't. If you enjoy the lower rates and are in an accident without gear your policy is voided.

Amen.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode