Crash Confessions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 40 Old 05-16-2007, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Crash Confessions

There are a few folks with rubber side up experiences.
Summer is just beginning, so folks please ride safely!
Please share your story and what you learned from it.

Situation:
A long time ago cruising back from AK on Canada's H1 at 60MPH in the dark, after dinner with a couple brews, I tapped the front brakes in attempt to miss a couple wolves crossing the Canada AK#1. Before I could say "uh oh" I was sliding sideways wondering "does this road curve". Very lucky for me the road was straight and I only got beat up. Canada DID NOT mark the road hazzard where they had thrown loose gravel!

Lessons learned: Don't drink and ride. Don't ride at night. Easy on the FRONT brake with unknown surface traction. Wear padded leather pants.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 05-17-2007, 07:27 PM
WoW

wow this is a hot topic

Find me on all over the web:

www.vwvortex.com- spoolin215
www.honda-tech.com- germanhondaslayer
www.bodybuilding.com- forcefedfreak
www.triumphrat.net- forcefedfreak
post #3 of 40 Old 05-17-2007, 10:18 PM

I had my 919 five days before I crashed it. I washed it up all nice then went for a ride, I made it about 5 blocks before I turned.

Lesson Learned: Don't put Armor All on MC tires.

2.5 years later now, panic braking situation. I still am not 100% sure what happened, but I think my rear brake locked and started to slide sideways which doesn't bode well when you are braking very hard up front

Lesson Learned: Don't use the rear brake ever.

post #4 of 40 Old 05-17-2007, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

First two safety lessons: Don't use your brakes!

post #5 of 40 Old 05-17-2007, 11:51 PM
919 City Pilot

My low side... 15-20 uphill on a construction zone-- muddy and ruted...

Pick your rut and keep both tires in the same one....I didn't.....

What we do to get to the twistys!

post #6 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 04:43 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Only two minor incidents here (knock on wood). Both low speed mishaps. One was on a right turn from a full stop, hit some fine gravel, front tire washed out and I went down. My bad for not paying close attention to my path.

Second tipover was on the GL1800 with the wife on the back, coming to a stop, got in some sand, and went over on the right as if in slow motion. That time I was glad I knew the turn and bend method for uprighting a bike - the Hondabago weighs in at a stout 900 pounds.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #7 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 04:48 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
Lesson Learned: Don't use the rear brake ever.
Use the rear brake to start the slide, then go hard on the throttle to get the rear spinning, jostle your weight forward and side to side to control the angle of slide, stay on the throttle to reduce traction. Begin shifting weight back to the rear and the tire will find traction as the smoke pours off and you leave a nice long black streak.

80mph lowside at JenningsGP turn 1, but come on - who hasn't lowsided at Jennings T1?

post #8 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 05:17 AM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

no comment...

+ $5

post #9 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

About 15 years ago, got wedged under a station wagon in a parking lot. It was an old lady, she didn't know I was there and kept moving, dragging the bike and I for about 10-15 feet. The damage to the bike was about $500.00, for me it was some bruises and a new set of boots.

post #10 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
About 15 years ago, got wedged under a station wagon in a parking lot. It was an old lady, she didn't know I was there and kept moving, dragging the bike and I for about 10-15 feet. The damage to the bike was about $500.00, for me it was some bruises and a new set of boots.
That sucks! Those parking lot accidents are so senseless. I had a few close calls where the right of way violating cage wasn't looking for me and couldn't hear the wimpy stock horn so I installed a stebel nautlus 120db airhorn. They hear me know! I back into parking spots to reduce the exit delay.

post #11 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
Use the rear brake to start the slide, then go hard on the throttle to get the rear spinning, jostle your weight forward and side to side to control the angle of slide, stay on the throttle to reduce traction. Begin shifting weight back to the rear and the tire will find traction as the smoke pours off and you leave a nice long black streak.

80mph lowside at JenningsGP turn 1, but come on - who hasn't lowsided at Jennings T1?
[youtube]45R9AB_3N5E[/youtube]

post #12 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

Nothing on a Road bike.
Where do I start... on an Off-Road bike!
High speed get offs galore.

post #13 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
one handed - sick!

post #14 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post

WOW! That's just nuts!

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #15 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 11:38 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

in a parking lot on the ST1300 wife on the back we were turning around very slowly and the wife decided to lean into the turn to look at her shoe " I don't know why". Down we went just a little scratch on the hard bag on left side of bike and dented Ego because I could not hold up a 700 pound bike with my wife hanging off the side with one leg " go figure".

post #16 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlux21 View Post
in a parking lot on the ST1300 wife on the back we were turning around very slowly and the wife decided to lean into the turn to look at her shoe " I don't know why". Down we went just a little scratch on the hard bag on left side of bike and dented Ego because I could not hold up a 700 pound bike with my wife hanging off the side with one leg " go figure".
And the ST13's tip over wings save the day (and $500 worth of plastic) - those things are one of the best design features on that bike.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #17 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
I can envision you bouncing off a hay bail like a rag doll...
It doesn't matter how fast you go,what matters is how fast you stop.
Any lessons there, or is it the POA of being on the track?

post #18 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 11:59 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

yes it could have been much worse, the ST is a very well made bike.

post #19 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Jennings T1 is a common lowside/runoff turn. Blasting down the straight into a long lazy left 180 degree turn. The lesson from that day was give your tires 3 laps to warm up, two wasn't enough.

post #20 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

My beloved mint-condition 1993 VFR750F. I was headed to school at dusk, and topped over a hill to a stopped truck waiting to turn left. I sit and patiently wait, even though there is a road that intersects to my right that I could have passed him on.

Oncoming traffic passes him by, and he begins to turn left. As soon as his bumper clears my path, I twist the throttle, and start passing. Immediately clearing his bed, there is a lady in a Saturn turning down the road to my right. Her car is completely blocking my lane at an angle, and I am going at exactly the wrong speed with no time to react properly. I tried to swerve last minute to the left so as to clear her hood, but no dice; 30mph WHAM!!! Front tire of the Viffer crumples her bumper and hood, Newton's First Law immediately takes effect on my body. I slam forward and dent the tank with my pelvic bone, bike falls on top of me.

She jumps out with the customary "I didn't see you", I thought traffic was stopped", "Are you ok?" I can't say anything because of the pain. Local police shows up, and doesn't issue a ticket to anyone. He can't find fault on her, but he asks me if I crossed the white line into the intersection. I answer no, and he writes it off as a no-fault accident.

End of story; Bike totalled , Bruised pelvis, out of work for two weeks, no heavy lifting, State Farm cuts me a check for full face value of the motorcycle. The adjustor said it was the most pristine example of a motorcycle he has ever had the displeasure of totalling. I used the money to buy me a Honda Accord cheap, and paid the loan with the rest.

Second bike was my 2000 R1. I changed the oil in it one Friday, and some riding buddies dropped by saying they were headed to a local twisty haven. I rushed the job, and apparently dropped the crush washer that goes under the drain plug screw. Long story short, we rode 30 miles to the spot, while my oil drain plug was backing out the whole time. As soon as I tipped into the first turn (a left-hand sweeper), I felt the bike sliding to the right. Not knowing what was actually happening, I rolled off the throttle, and tried to stand it up. No luck, it was still sliding towards the grass. I tried slowing down, and by then enough oil had coated my rear tire that it just gave in. I laid it down, and slid about 40 yards on the side of the road. No damage to me other than some bruises (I was wearing a Joe Rocket Blaster Jacket, jeans, gloves, boots). The bike lost all the paint from the right side, brake lever broken, rearset broken, no oil, clip-on intact but bent. I had to wait for three hours while they rode home, found a truck, drove back and five of us lifted the bike in to the bed. I have never forgotten a crush washer again.

post #21 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Dang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Second bike was my 2000 R1. I changed the oil in it one Friday, and some riding buddies dropped by saying they were headed to a local twisty haven. I rushed the job, and apparently dropped the crush washer that goes under the drain plug screw. Long story short, we rode 30 miles to the spot, while my oil drain plug was backing out the whole time. As soon as I tipped into the first turn (a left-hand sweeper), I felt the bike sliding to the right. Not knowing what was actually happening, I rolled off the throttle, and tried to stand it up. No luck, it was still sliding towards the grass. I tried slowing down, and by then enough oil had coated my rear tire that it just gave in. I laid it down, and slid about 40 yards on the side of the road. No damage to me other than some bruises (I was wearing a Joe Rocket Blaster Jacket, jeans, gloves, boots). The bike lost all the paint from the right side, brake lever broken, rearset broken, no oil, clip-on intact but bent. I had to wait for three hours while they rode home, found a truck, drove back and five of us lifted the bike in to the bed. I have never forgotten a crush washer again.
Atleast the engine didnt seize up while doing 70 on the way there or home....

post #22 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Thanks for describing this! That bike's wet clutch allows slipping for low speed control. Although the slipping control effect on a 700lb rig is much less than on a lighter bike.

post #23 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I crashed my NSR250 on gravel at about 15mph once... sad day. Was 18 years old... of course.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #24 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
I crashed my NSR250 on gravel at about 15mph once... sad day. Was 18 years old... of course.
Last year huh?

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #25 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Many moons ago on the way to work, wet pavement on my CB 200T, got a little to aggressive with front break & down I went. Bike scratched up and scratch on leg. Fastforward to 2006, went off a bridge landed in a creek bed, (will post pics but need a little help with that) totaled bike lost skin on forearm & sprained ankle. Rider ERRORS contribuited to this one.

2006 919 (Sold)
2011 Cb1000r

"oh no there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good." - Cage The Elephant
post #26 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 05:22 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Quote:
Oh sure, blame your wife....

post #27 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclong74 View Post
Many moons ago on the way to work, wet pavement on my CB 200T, got a little to aggressive with front break & down I went. Bike scratched up and scratch on leg. Fastforward to 2006, went off a bridge landed in a creek bed, (will post pics but need a little help with that) totaled bike lost skin on forearm & sprained ankle. Rider ERRORS contribuited to this one.
Holy cow batmat!

post #28 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Cornicen

Yeah lets see the bridge jump pics JClong

post #29 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
My beloved mint-condition 1993 VFR750F. I was headed to school at dusk, and topped over a hill to a stopped truck waiting to turn left. I sit and patiently wait, even though there is a road that intersects to my right that I could have passed him on.

Oncoming traffic passes him by, and he begins to turn left. As soon as his bumper clears my path, I twist the throttle, and start passing. Immediately clearing his bed, there is a lady in a Saturn turning down the road to my right. Her car is completely blocking my lane at an angle, and I am going at exactly the wrong speed with no time to react properly. I tried to swerve last minute to the left so as to clear her hood, but no dice; 30mph WHAM!!! Front tire of the Viffer crumples her bumper and hood, Newton's First Law immediately takes effect on my body. I slam forward and dent the tank with my pelvic bone, bike falls on top of me.

She jumps out with the customary "I didn't see you", I thought traffic was stopped", "Are you ok?" I can't say anything because of the pain. Local police shows up, and doesn't issue a ticket to anyone. He can't find fault on her, but he asks me if I crossed the white line into the intersection. I answer no, and he writes it off as a no-fault accident.

End of story; Bike totalled , Bruised pelvis, out of work for two weeks, no heavy lifting, State Farm cuts me a check for full face value of the motorcycle. The adjustor said it was the most pristine example of a motorcycle he has ever had the displeasure of totalling. I used the money to buy me a Honda Accord cheap, and paid the loan with the rest.

Ridge, After those wild rides I'm very glad you survived, recovered, and are still riding! #1 sucks and reminds us to take extra intersection time to watch out for inattentive right of way violators (ROWV). It amazing she wasn't cited?! #2 A catastrophic mechanical is the worst nightmare. I'm going to look at those crush washers very differently from now on!

post #30 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclong74 View Post
went off a bridge landed in a creek bed, (will post pics but need a little help with that) totaled bike lost skin on forearm & sprained ankle. Rider ERRORS contribuited to this one.
Ok Evil K., What rider ERRORS? You are one VERY LUCKY DUDE! Welcome back for life #2.

post #31 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 09:38 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

I already confessed, so its easier just to link it

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...light=lowsided

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #32 of 40 Old 05-18-2007, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post

Thank you for your contribution! Please enjoy donuts and juice in the next room.

post #33 of 40 Old 05-19-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
First two safety lessons: Don't use your brakes!
aw, no fun... LOL

http://bp3.blogger.com/_LxZ4Mi3rR3Q/...h/img_8257.jpg

http://bp0.blogger.com/_LxZ4Mi3rR3Q/...h/img_8258.jpg

post #34 of 40 Old 05-19-2007, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Yes that's a fine example of going too fast for the desired sharp turn Down Under...left road side! Given his veil tripod attempt, the last/missing photo left a mark. Thanks!

post #35 of 40 Old 05-19-2007, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post

The category is too fast for slippery conditions. If I notice bad road conditions too late in the middle of a corner, I don't change anything (gas, brake, position or lean angle) and hang on. The goal is to regain traction before crossing the centerline edge of death or before leaving the road into a stationary object. Thanks again Justin for the excellent documentation. We are very glad you are back in the saddle!

post #36 of 40 Old 05-19-2007, 09:56 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Oh sure, blame your wife....
Shhh don;t tell her. She might beat me up again

post #37 of 40 Old 05-19-2007, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

I just met a guy that wrecked his 750lb Valkyrie. He wasn't paying attention on a busy highway, was tailgating and could not slow down in time for the stopped traffic and decided to lay it down. Give yourself ample space front and back!

I just had a woman tailgate me on the freeway right lane at the speed limit. After tapping my brakes to protest she got huffy and followed me...strange.

post #38 of 40 Old 05-19-2007, 06:24 PM
919>food>beer

I've had two fall offs, both were in the rain at low speeds. The first was pulling into my apartment complex it was drizzeling. They have a solid white line where the gate is I was crossing it at light throttle (never again in the rain) and the rear tire lost traction and shot out side ways. the bike slide like 10-15 feet.

Then last week we got one of the first rains in a long time in central Fla, roads were slick as ice. I was doing around 50 (the posted speed limit) light turned yellow as I approach. Start braking front tire locks. get off the brakes and try again after catching traction. No dice, prolly doing 15-20 mph at this time tire locks up again and I low side it. Thankfully the lane was clear in front and behind of me. Bike slid, broke the left handle bar end mount, dented the predented tank more (actually bought it that way since it is my first bike) and scratched the strator cover. Nothing too major. I walked away with nothing thanks to helmet, which looks to have had light contact with the road so time for a new lid. Jacket got some rash on a few snaps nothing major though.

They were both definatly learing experiences.

post #39 of 40 Old 05-19-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Thanks Jeef. When starting out, always choose a used bike with "character". Very glad you are ok!

Here are excellent rain riding tips:
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ht=rain+riding

post #40 of 40 Old 05-20-2007, 08:50 AM
919>food>beer

Thanks man, that was a good read.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode