close call today... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 09-28-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

close call today...

You ever have those dreams where you are riding and something happens in the dream/ride where you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're about to bite it?

Well I have dreams like that from time to time and they can be little useful reminders, I always wake up and go whew...

On my lunch break 30mins ago I'm splitting traffic, and its gridlocked, doing 15-20, on a bit of a downward sloping hilI, didn't see any spaces for cars to merge whatsoever, but there is a healthy lane splitting area, and this SUV pulls into my line......and then pulls back. Like they made the move without checking, then thought better and saw me coming, and then went right back. Or maybe they were intentionality fucking with me? I'm not sure but one second I was braking and bracing for impact and the next I was shivering in relief/anger.

It was very surreal. Needless to say I have slowed down a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Discen

I'll be honest....I been really bad lately....and I HATE HATE HATE minivans...whether I am on the bike, or in a cage.

A mini van today was rolling along a two lane rode with double yellow that twists on somewhat travelled road.......and they started spraying their windshield washer fluid...of course it wasn't aimed right and started spraying OVER their car and sprinkling on me.....sheesh...in less than a blink of an eye, I decided to pass them on a left hand turn over the double yellow on a blind corner.

Be safe out there fellas....don't be me.

post #3 of 14 Old 09-28-2013, 08:34 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Yeah, I have flashbacks of the time some asshole dumped a pile of cd's in the middle of an intersection, right in the apex of my hard left turn! At the last second, the morning sun reflected off the cd's and caught my eye and I stood the bike up enough to barely miss them. I still look through my turns as I should but you can bet I check the road surface before I go.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-28-2013, 10:13 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDonnern View Post
I'll be honest....I been really bad lately....and I HATE HATE HATE minivans...whether I am on the bike, or in a cage.

A mini van today was rolling along a two lane rode with double yellow that twists on somewhat travelled road.......and they started spraying their windshield washer fluid...of course it wasn't aimed right and started spraying OVER their car and sprinkling on me.....sheesh...in less than a blink of an eye, I decided to pass them on a left hand turn over the double yellow on a blind corner.

Be safe out there fellas....don't be me.
+1 on hating mini vans, I don't know what it is about those things but the wind buffeting that comes from them is worse than most bigger trucks, almost as bad as the big rigs, not to mention they're ugly and the favored cage of soccer moms(the mortal enemy of buells around the globe...lol)

There's always something laying in the road around here especially this time of year, it's been raining and blowing lately so there's tons of leaves, moss, and tree limbs all over me road....a couple years ago on my drz I was hauling ass as usual and came up on an alder tree that had fell across the road, I was going way to fast to stop so all I could do is duck and pray, I made it under it but got whipped hard by the little limbs hanging down......I've had some close ones before but haven't slowed down at all.....I know I'm a fool...I am....but that's just me, and I know I'll keep pushing until something serious happens....it sucks but it's just the way I am

:buell:
post #5 of 14 Old 09-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Centurion

Whats a minivan?

post #6 of 14 Old 09-29-2013, 12:01 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZspokes View Post
Whats a minivan?

image-3696322158.jpg

^^^mini van

image-1514326976.jpg

^^^chimo van

image-311985709.jpg

^^^soccermom mini van

image-3628925132.jpg

^^^ chimo van with blacked out windows

Should I continue?

post #7 of 14 Old 09-29-2013, 12:10 AM
Centurion

Ok, we call em people movers here.

And they suck.

post #8 of 14 Old 09-29-2013, 12:22 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Sytheii, it's good to have a little bit of a wake up call sometimes to keep us from getting complacent...Glad you handled it and are ok, though!

It's been a little while since I've had a real close call, and that's starting to make me kinda nervous...what's going on that I'm just not seeing?

I did have a guy shift over into my lane a couple months ago. i saw it happening, and was able to adjust. Driver obviously didn't see me (didn't head-check before changing lanes).
I just moved over with him and then laughed at the look on his face when I rapped on his window with my knuckles...

I love doing that when it's appropriate!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #9 of 14 Old 09-29-2013, 12:26 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
..what's going on that I'm just not seeing?
You'll know when it hits ya

post #10 of 14 Old 09-29-2013, 06:14 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97 View Post
You'll know when it hits ya
The unseen & unnoticed is always just waiting to bite you in the ass, innit?

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #11 of 14 Old 09-29-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Sytheii, it's good to have a little bit of a wake up call sometimes to keep us from getting complacent...Glad you handled it and are ok, though!

It's been a little while since I've had a real close call, and that's starting to make me kinda nervous...what's going on that I'm just not seeing?

I did have a guy shift over into my lane a couple months ago. i saw it happening, and was able to adjust. Driver obviously didn't see me (didn't head-check before changing lanes).
I just moved over with him and then laughed at the look on his face when I rapped on his window with my knuckles...

I love doing that when it's appropriate!
Thanks bud. Ive rapped a few windows in my day as well. This incident really made me ultra aware of the need to always be ready for a quick stop.

I'm always hyper attentive when splitting on the freeway, I just didnt expect this imbecile and his imbecilic move in gridlock traffic, which I suppose is the eternal mistake.

My uncle always said there are two kinds of drivers, the ones that dont see you, and the ones that are trying to hit you. Good to keep in mind.

Also, I have been really really inattentive to my rear brake, it has needed an adjustment to grab the back wheel more, and i keep putting it off because I rarely ever use it except to keep from rolling. Next maintenance item is tweaking it right, as well as raising the pedal for better application.

post #12 of 14 Old 09-30-2013, 08:04 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
"Experience is the worst teacher: it gives the test before presenting the lesson."

That's what is happening here. It's not that you aren't seeing things -- what you describe is a fairly common occurrence for very experienced riders. Riding in traffic is a very dynamic process requiring constant attention on the part of the rider. This conscious attention gradually trains you brain to pick up clues in certain specific situations that were precursors to a close call. You are not aware of these precursors, but one feature of your brain is it only lets you know what you need to know (conscious) but does learn from a close call by reviewing what it didn't tell you (the precursors) because it didn't know at the time they were leading up to a close call. Once a certain situation happens it is traumatic which tends to put the brain in "how did I miss that?" mode. Once the question is asked it tries to answer it by reviewing what it saw just before but didn't tell you. Given enough exposure these warning signs are ingrained, as in "X and Y (precursors) happened -- Z (the close call) is coming! Turn / brake / whatever!" and executes the avoidance maneuver without telling you why you suddenly decided to turn / brake / whatever you did.

Eventually it seems the rider has become precognitive, but in reality his brain is being proactive without involving much in the way of conscious effort on his part in the same way that he shifts without having to think "close the throttle, clutch, move shifter ... . I can't count the number of times I have said to myself "I'm glad I wasn't over there whan that happened" when a less experienced rider blithely rides right into the middle of the the same situation and has an OH SHIT!!! moment. All part of learning, and hopefully surviving long enough to avoid that situation.

Frankly, I have had maybe two close calls in the last 20 years, and none in the last 5 or so. Consciously, I did nothing, but my brain just doesn't bother sending out warnings and deals with it.

Rob

post #13 of 14 Old 09-30-2013, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
"Experience is the worst teacher: it gives the test before presenting the lesson."

That's what is happening here. It's not that you aren't seeing things -- what you describe is a fairly common occurrence for very experienced riders. Riding in traffic is a very dynamic process requiring constant attention on the part of the rider. This conscious attention gradually trains you brain to pick up clues in certain specific situations that were precursors to a close call. You are not aware of these precursors, but one feature of your brain is it only lets you know what you need to know (conscious) but does learn from a close call by reviewing what it didn't tell you (the precursors) because it didn't know at the time they were leading up to a close call. Once a certain situation happens it is traumatic which tends to put the brain in "how did I miss that?" mode. Once the question is asked it tries to answer it by reviewing what it saw just before but didn't tell you. Given enough exposure these warning signs are ingrained, as in "X and Y (precursors) happened -- Z (the close call) is coming! Turn / brake / whatever!" and executes the avoidance maneuver without telling you why you suddenly decided to turn / brake / whatever you did.

Eventually it seems the rider has become precognitive, but in reality his brain is being proactive without involving much in the way of conscious effort on his part in the same way that he shifts without having to think "close the throttle, clutch, move shifter ... . I can't count the number of times I have said to myself "I'm glad I wasn't over there whan that happened" when a less experienced rider blithely rides right into the middle of the the same situation and has an OH SHIT!!! moment. All part of learning, and hopefully surviving long enough to avoid that situation.

Frankly, I have had maybe two close calls in the last 20 years, and none in the last 5 or so. Consciously, I did nothing, but my brain just doesn't bother sending out warnings and deals with it.

Rob
I like the science on this reply

post #14 of 14 Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Tirone

It's always after the close calls that I start to shit myself and upgrade my gear.

I almost had a woman in a 300c pull out in front of me ... I did the panic braking and all. Shit myself and had to pull over and take a breather. It was pretty scary of a thing.

After that I upgraded ALL of my gear. Come payday, I was still shaken ( only 2 days later ) I blew close to a grand on better gear...
went from http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/Motor...ts-For-Men.htm to Dainese Crono Textile Jacket - RevZilla

some
http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/Full-...reet-Boots.htm to alpine star boots I was drooling over..

In hindsight, shouldn't have splurged but I felt safer which allowed me to ride more confidently and accept it's still a learning experience that sometimes theres little to nothing you can really do to prevent a crash from happening..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode